• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a rerun of a previous bundle? It looks familiar.

I use Vegas casually and it works well for me. I've heard enough people talk about using it that, assuming you don't have a Mac with like Final Cut, VEgas seems like a good option.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, bought it. Had Vegas 14 from a previous bundle and it's been excellent, happy to shell out a bit more for the more modern UI of 15. Magix are onto a winner releasing their previous release editing software as bundles :)

For $25 it's well worth it, you'll probably only need Movie Studio but you may as well spend the extra just in case.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sure. Might as well.

Which one is the thing? I thought Vegas was supposed to be an all-in-one tool. lol

KE6l9Ve.png

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vegas 15 Pro Edit is the full fledged video editing program. Movie Studio 15 is sort of like a simpler version. The rest you can ignore.
Cool, thanks.

Never done any video editing before, but I have a baby on the way so I figured I might in the future.

Also have many old DVD's of drum corps competitions that look like complete ass when played on a 4K TV. They're all interlaced at 30fps. I was hoping there might be a way to deinterlace these and output at a real 30p, maybe with better HD upscaling than I get from my TV/AVR?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wooow. Vegas can't open an MKV?

That's gonna make trying to process these DVD's a lot more complicated. WTF kind of "pro" software is this?

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
wooow. Vegas can't open an MKV?

That's gonna make trying to process these DVD's a lot more complicated. WTF kind of "pro" software is this?
MKVs are a bit difficult because they're really container files that can include various audio and video types + subtitles etc. You'll need to convert it to edit it, don't think any video editing software works with MKVs directly?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try Avidemux, shouldn't be much more than opening, changing container format and saving.
Doesn't work. "Cannot open" when I try to output the .mkv file generated from the DVD.

File is fucking mpeg2 video with AC3 audio and a few chapters. What the hell.

MKVs are a bit difficult because they're really container files that can include various audio and video types + subtitles etc. You'll need to convert it to edit it, don't think any video editing software works with MKVs directly?
MP4 is a container too though, just a really shitty container.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try video converter ultimate from wondershare, it's not free, but it has a free trial.
Used it a bunch back in the day, really easy to use.
What ticks me off is what I want to do is super easy with ffmpeg. Takes two seconds. Just remuxing the mkv into an mp4 container.

I just hate mucking around in command line and typing out filenames. I want something I can just click and be done. It's kind of blowing my mind that such a utility is so hard to find. I can't be the only one who's ever wanted to do this, right? It seems like such an obvious thing that many people would need to do.

I even tried some ffmpeg GUI's, all seem to be universally terrible and designed for people who want to reencode their files for their phones. I don't want any encoding. Just changing the container. From most popular/widely used community container to the most popular/widely used industry container.

mind boggling. lol

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
What ticks me off is what I want to do is super easy with ffmpeg. Takes two seconds. Just remuxing the mkv into an mp4 container.

I just hate mucking around in command line and typing out filenames. I want something I can just click and be done. It's kind of blowing my mind that such a utility is so hard to find. I can't be the only one who's ever wanted to do this, right? It seems like such an obvious thing that many people would need to do.

I even tried some ffmpeg GUI's, all seem to be universally terrible and designed for people who want to reencode their files for their phones. I don't want any encoding. Just changing the container. From most popular/widely used community container to the most popular/widely used industry container.

mind boggling. lol

Just write the command with *.mkv and *.mp4 into a text file and save as .bat?

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Explain this to me like I'm 5... because I just tried that, and when I click the new .bat file a window just opens and closes. Nothing else happens.

Open Notepad.
Write
ffmpeg.exe -i *.mkv -c copy *.mp4
into the file and save the file as for example mkvtomp4.bat
Put the .bat into your folder with the ffmpeg.exe, then put a .mkv file into the same folder and double-click the .bat. Depending on your system maybe right-clicking the .bat and running as Admin might be necessary.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Open Notepad.
Write

into the file and save the file as for example mkvtomp4.bat
Put the .bat into your folder with the ffmpeg.exe, then put a .mkv file into the same folder and double-click the .bat. Depending on your system maybe right-clicking the .bat and running as Admin might be necessary.
Still doesn't work. I don't think you can do * for the target file.

Found one that does work though:
for %%a in ("*.mkv") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -map 0 "%%~na.mp4"
pause

So I guess that is sorted. Now to see if Vegas even does what I want better than my TV's normal upscaling. =P

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I got in on the last one for Vegas 14 and it's been great so didn't hesitate to jump in on this too.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't work. "Cannot open" when I try to output the .mkv file generated from the DVD.

File is fucking mpeg2 video with AC3 audio and a few chapters. What the hell.

MP4 is a container too though, just a really shitty container.
Odd, works well here, might depend on the content I suppose.

If you want a frontend for FFmpeg, maybe try Handbrake? Just make sure it's not transcoding the video.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you.

Ok, so who needs/wants one Producer Planet $9.99 Voucher Code?

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Does anyone know how Vegas 14 compares to 15? I got 13 in the last bundle, considering getting this one. I don't do much with it though, so the things that matter most to be are gonna be ui/commonly used stuff.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Odd, works well here, might depend on the content I suppose.

If you want a frontend for FFmpeg, maybe try Handbrake? Just make sure it's not transcoding the video.
Not an option I'm afraid. Handbrake only supports audio pass through, video has to be encoded. One of the main complaints I've had about the software for years now.

In any case, the .bat I posted works fine and will even batch process the entire folder of mkv's. Now the hard part - learning how to use Vegas as a complete beginner. heh

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I don't know where else to ask this, Google is utterly failing to answer my question.

I have a video file from a drum corps performance with crappy audio quality. I also have the lossless FLAC of the same show. I want to combine these two. The video is longer than the FLAC, so some sort of merge needs to happen. I want the software to just do that for me without me having to manually fuck with dragging shit around. I know Final Cut Pro X can do this with like a single click.

Is that possible? And assuming it is possible, how do I export the file so that the audio isn't re-encoded? Where are the passthru options?

So far I'm not impressed with this software at all.