• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Interesting. I've been subbed to Monthly for probably around 30 months now, so I'm curious how this will pan out. I feel like this is going to level the game quality playing field of these bundles to be either all the games are (semi) premium quality or all the games are like $10-20 tier indies (or older games) quality. Like if we use this month as a hypothetical example, of course everyone on a Basic plan is going to snag Crash, Spyro, and COD over some $10 indie game from last year that they haven't heard of. I assume they would want the selections to be about equally enticing, but I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dom

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does pausing work? Do you still pay but get to choose the month later to apply it too? Or does nothing happen at all, making it equivalent to cancelling and just not re-signing up for a month?
It will not charge you for that month but then the next month, if you don't pause again, will be charged.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I feel like I've always gotten my $12 worth even on the less impressive months. Still, I can't help but think this is just an attempt to obfuscate a price hike. Revealing all the games up front is nice though.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Doesn't look like I'll be doing this much again. The majority of humble monthly games, that I own, I never play. So I don't see why I, personally, would keep an ongoing sub to it.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what it means that you get to choose. Do they give you a group of games each month to choose from? Or is there a library that you get to select from? I wish there were more details. I rarely subscribed to monthly because most of the headlining games I didn't really want, and by save $12 a month, I could buy a few of the random games that I wanted that I missed. I like the idea of being able to choose, but if it's a small selection each month, it doesn't seem much different, only you get a small choice rather than whatever they surprise you with.

And honestly, if I "miss out" on getting in on Classic, I doubt I'll ever subscribe for $20 a month.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Will continue my sub, I almost always see something I like. And any stuff I already own gets turned into a giveaway.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
That's what this is made to circumvent. They're trying to give you the choice so their odds of not having a game you want are significantly lowered and you don't unsubscribe.
oh, if i were to get it again, id still buy and cancel. 12 or 15. just depends on the games themselves. still an awful change, from a consumer pov.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Great for who though? It's great for Humble and not great for their customers.

Yeah, this is how I'm feeling. Doesn't feel great, especially if you don't get the Classic price. Over three months, that's $60, I can buy whatever I want on Steam sales for that every few months.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Those price increases are insane. Humble used to have yearly subs for cheaper too. More they lock everyone in at 12 bucks a month which is 144 a year versus getting a 99 dollar yearly sub.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What happens when your current classic sub is up, will you be automatically reupped at the classic price? or will they cancel and make you reup at new price?

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I can still pause I'm in. I probably paused all but three months over the course of the last year. It's a really nice option for a sub service like this to have. Making it out to be a chore seems crazy. Just wait for the reveal each month and make your decision.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Considering only a couple of months really interest me during the entire year, and that within those months, only 2 or 3 titles are interesting to me, I'd still pick the basic plan only during the best 2-3 months.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For current subscribers who can remember to check the pause button once a month this is exclusively a good thing.
People on the classic plan can make the buy/pause decision based on the full lineup and not only based on the showcase title(s) and the price stays the same.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Since you can still pause if you continue on classic I guess I'll stay. But I guess that's what they're banking on.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
You currently can pause as long as you want, but you have to do it manually every month:
Q: Can I skip multiple months?

Yes, you may skip as many months as you'd like, however please note that this will affect your membership benefits and you will need to continuously pause after every skipped month! Once a month has been successfully skipped, go back to your Settings page and pause again.

iverron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably sub for a double dip on the Crash / Spyro remakes but not a fan of "never unsubscribe ever" "promotions" so I'll just quit doing the Monthly unless $20 seems like an extremely good deal. Too many months I just don't care to subscribe for to keep a permanent sub for this on.

edit: pausing is a good alternative

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I don't understand anyway: if they propose me 10 games, what if I decide to not pick up 3 games? Will they give me Humble wallet credit or what? I mean, a Classic subscribers why shouldn't just pick up all the games? It's not clear at all.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, this is how I'm feeling. Doesn't feel great, especially if you don't get the Classic price. Over three months, that's $60, I can buy whatever I want on Steam sales for that every few months.
I'm looking at the not-classic as mostly just (hopefully) premium normal bundles. You see a set of three games you really want and you get them for $15 which could be a superb price depending on the month. Then you just unsub and it just handles it as a normal Humble Bundle. Fanatical does this all the time where they have bundles where you pick and choose. Currently this one.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand anyway: if they propose me 10 games, what if I decide to not pick up 3 games? Will they give me Humble wallet credit or what? I mean, a Classic subscribers why shouldn't just pick up all the games? It's not clear at all.

As a Classic Sub, you still get all the games offered. At the lower tiers, you only get 9, or even 3 to choose from those 10.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France

If you're a classic subscriber, you get 10 games. If there are only 10 games, you get all of them. If there are 15, you choose 10 from the 15. There is no point in not choosing games.
If you cancel your subscription because you don't like what you see this month, you can't become "Classic" again and will have to choose from Basic or Premium, that costs more with fewer choices.
You can still pause your subscription for a month if you don't like it and keep the Classic status.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man when it comes to the choice thing and all the keys of a popular game get taken and you're left with crap you don't want then that's going to leave a lot of people salty if they're paying the same fee.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Also I assume you pause before the new month is announced right? Otherwise there is no risk to pausing ever.

Man when it comes to the choice thing and all the keys of a popular game get taken and you're left with crap you don't want then that's going to leave a lot of people salty if they're paying the same fee.

There wont be a limited number of each title, that wouldnt make much sense.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Wait a second.
I've been a Humble monthly subscriber for over a year.

is my subscription being turned into 1 of these things automatically, or cancelled or what?

I want the Classic thing that's the same price ive been paying - $12 per month.

I'm not paying 20 bucks a month for this, so if it comes to that I'm out!

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Wow, 200 IQ move getting me to subscribe for Spyro and Crash and then announcing this so I won't ever unsubscribe

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wait a second.
I've been a Humble monthly subscriber for over a year.

is my subscription being turned into 1 of these things automatically, or cancelled or what?

I want the Classic thing that's the same price ive been paying - $12 per month.

I'm not paying 20 bucks a month for this, so if it comes to that I'm out!

It says you automatically become classic if you are subscibed, you can already see if you go to your subscription. What isnt clear is what happens when your plan expires, but I assume you get reupped on Classic each time?

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Most people just sub for the big games that get announced at the beginning of the month, so for those that is just a $3 increase. But that premium option is quite the price increase