• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Weird. I JUST joined last night, so when I got the email, I thought it was just a "Now that you've signed up here's an upgrade offer for you" kind of thing.

barksi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems to me that if you lose access to the Classic tier, you are stuck with not so "valuable" deal anymore, althought I agree it will depent on the collection of games you can choose from.

I also see them doing special promo offers from time to time that will enable you get backt to the Classic tear...

But since you can still pause, I can see myself subscribing to 3-month plan just to secure the Classic tier in case its worth it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So going from about a buck per game to more like $2 each? At the lower tier it's more like $5 a game. Value proposition definitely tanked.

Now I see why they had Crash, Spyro, and COD this month. Priming the pumps with some big ass games.

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
Been a Humble Bundle Monthly subscriber since day month 1 and there was not a single month I felt I didn't get my $12 worth.

Last edited:

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be smart subbing now for the Classic plan, pause the sub every second month so you pay half the price for the whole year and get all the games of the months your sub is active? You'll 'just' need to be lucky that the months you're skipping won't have something you really wanted.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It says you automatically become classic if you are subscibed, you can already see if you go to your subscription. What isnt clear is what happens when your plan expires, but I assume you get reupped on Classic each time?
Interesting thanks. I guess I'll wait and see how this goes. I'd say overall Humble Monthly hadn't been worth $12 for me because I own a vast majority of that they have offered in the last year. I've been considering cancelling anyways so I'll give this new system a couple months then decide what I want to do.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Shitty play to get a subscriber boost but as long as pausing remains a feature there really isn't a concern for losing access to the new classic tier. I don't mind this as a current subscriber, sucks for the newer people who aren't grandfathered in though.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be smart subbing now for the Classic plan?
Depends on how you feel about giving Activision money right now for the current game selection, with the Blizzard/China stuff going on. If they aren't gonna start till December you could probably wait a month.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
It's so tricky... on one hand 10 games for $12 each month is great but are they all going to be tat?

I haven't even made my mind up what to do about gaming in general during this coming year. To not bother with my PC any more and just stick with PS5 instead? I have so many games (such as those from Epic Store giveaways) yet I never seem to play any of them. Would I be paying $12 each month just to end up looking at the games in my Steam library...

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever subbed for Monthly on months for the games I know I'd want upfront, and I've never cared for all of a single month's games.

So I'll just be more diligent in the future of which months I sub.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand anyway: if they propose me 10 games, what if I decide to not pick up 3 games? Will they give me Humble wallet credit or what? I mean, a Classic subscribers why shouldn't just pick up all the games? It's not clear at all.

Probably going to be a pool of at least 12-13 games every month I would think. So no subscription level will ever be able to choose ALL the games available. In other words if you sign up for the 10 game plan and they only offer 10 games, you get them all. There would literally be no choice,

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So going from about a buck per game to more like $2 each? At the lower tier it's more like $5 a game. Value proposition definitely tanked.

Now I see why they had Crash, Spyro, and COD this month. Priming the pumps with some big ass games.

Not really. Since you know the games before paying it doesn't really matter what previous month got you.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who maybe buys 1-2 months a year based only on the up-front offering, and occasionally gets annoyed at a month I skip where I didn't care about the up-front games but the hidden games were what I wanted- this is better for me; as I get to make more informed decisions. For the average person, this is worse, though

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Price increase is worth trading mystery boxes for knowing what you're getting and having more choices imo.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I just signed up for the first time this month as I have a decent graphics card for the first time in ages so I guess I'm eligible for the classic plan but I'm really not a fan of the 'if you ever cancel you'd have to pay more for less in future' scare tactic. Surely they could have made the premium one better than the current offering at least?

I think I'll just cancel and put the money towards the games I want the most.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I haven't even read everything yet, but this is already sounds SO much better than Humble Monthly. I hated the grab-bag hope-you-get-something-good nature of the Humble Monthly and only subscribed a couple of times when the revealed games alone were appealing and already worth the price of the sub (XCOM 2 comes to mind)..

Edit: Just now seeing the $5 a month for just Humble Trove. That's kind of nifty. Not for me, but still nifty.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It's so tricky... one on hand 10 games for $12 each month is great but are they all going to be tat?

I haven't even made my mind up what to do about gaming in general during this coming year. Not bother with my PC any more and just stick with PS5 instead. I have so many games (such as those from Epic) yet I never seem to play any of them. Would I be end up paying $12 each month just to end up looking at the games in my Steam library...

Every game will revealed upfront. So you can pause.

Have they said anything about how many choices there are?

Nope. But more than 10 is heavily implied.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I could sub now, but only to immediately pause so I don't actually get any of these months games...cos, just in case you know, next month there's actually no more classic lol.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be smart subbing now for the Classic plan, pause the sub every second month so you pay half the price for the whole year and get all the games of the months your sub is active? You'll 'just' need to be lucky that the months you're skipping won't have something you really wanted.
? Just pick whatever months you want to pause. You can pause 11 out of 12 months if you want to (obviously have to pay for the first month to subscribe). There is no reason to arbitrarily pick every other month to pause, just unpause it when there are games on the monthly list you want to play.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was planning on subscribing because of spyro and crash bandicoot anyway. I'm grandfathered into classic now.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
This service was already great because it seemed to be mindful of people like me who still buy games in addition to keeping multiple subscription services around. Not only do you get to keep the games you pick up, but you can also easily pause if you come to a month where you already own the best of what's being offered. This move just seems to reinforce that element. I dig it

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Humble Monthly is great value, but all it did was shovel games onto the backlog. I rarely actually played any of the games I got, even the big showcase titles. Easier just to wait for deep sales for single titles.

Oct 25, 2017
So this probably kills all chances of them doing another $99 for a year deal. But I'm fine with paying full price for a year of Classic when the new plans are that bad.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Oh. This new system is worse. So they increased the price for 3 games to more than what it is currently? I mean half the time, the good stuff is the big 3 games.

Yeah I don't like this. But I guess Humble Monthly was too good this month for a reason.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
For current subscribers, could be an upgrade?
* 10 games (more than current)
* Those 10 games are chosen from a list of more than 10 games (so at least some subscriber control)
*All games revealed before you pay (unlike now where you only see a few early unlocks).

It all comes down to what games are made available though. I can't imagine that they will make 120 good games available annually.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that if you lose access to the Classic tier, you are stuck with not so "valuable" deal anymore, althought I agree it will depent on the collection of games you can choose from.

I also see them doing special promo offers from time to time that will enable you get backt to the Classic tear...

But since you can still pause, I can see myself subscribing to 3-month plan just to secure the Classic tier in case its worth it.

I can't see them doing a deal to get you to classic, they will likely stick to their normal deals of sign up for a year and get X amount of store credit. Likely $15 or so for the cheaper plan and $35 or so for the more expensive plan.

Probably going to be a pool of at least 12-13 games every month I would think. So no subscription level will ever be able to choose ALL the games available. In other words if you sign up for the 10 game plan and they only offer 10 games, you get them all. There would literally be no choice,

You still have the choice of what plan to choose. the one that gets you just access to the trove, the one that gets you 3 of 10 games, the one that gets you 9 of 10 games and the one that you have to stay subbed to or you can't choose anymore.

I mean the classic is for the humble monthly arguing that it's mostly the same, the monthly never had a choice so that would be the classic way to do it :P

So this probably kills all chances of them doing another $99 for a year deal. But I'm fine with paying full price for a year of Classic when the new plans are that bad.
most likely. unless they squeak in one more deal to try to attract people to the classic sub so they are always subbed.
Oh. This new system is worse. So they increased the price for 3 games to more than what it is currently? I mean half the time, the good stuff is the big 3 games.

Yeah I don't like this. But I guess Humble Monthly was too good this month for a reason.
It's called a price increase. it happens to a lot of services and for a long time humble monthly was way more valuable than the cost. With more and more companies refusing to put their games below 50% off it was only a matter of time until humble had to increase its price. At least this way there is a way to still get the old price.
For current subscribers, could be an upgrade?
* 10 games (more than current)
* Those 10 games are chosen from a list of more than 10 games (so at least some subscriber control)
*All games revealed before you pay (unlike now where you only see a few early unlocks).

It all comes down to what games are made available though. I can't imagine that they will make 120 good games available annually.

the last humble had 10 games :P
there is no grantee there is more than 10 games to choose from in a month.
the last two statements are true though :P

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Okay. So I'm considering getting myself grandfathered in. How does "pausing" work with Humble Monthly. Can I pause for only one consecutive month? Like if I pause a month do I have to sub for month after? If not, if I pause does it stay paused until I unpause or do I have to make sure to come back next month and pause again if I want to?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Unless they're noticeably increasing the number of possible choices each month or the general quality, this is hard to view as anything other than a massive downgrade in the value of their subscription. I didn't renew my yearly subscription recently since it felt like most months there wasn't anything I was really excited about. I would much rather pick 3 games out of a large pool since there'd be more of a chance that I'd get something I actually wanted, however I'm afraid it's going to be basically like it is now except at a higher price and you have to choose which games you aren't getting.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Okay. So I'm considering getting myself grandfathered in. How does "pausing" work with Humble Monthly. Can I pause for only one consecutive month? If not, if I pause does it stay paused until I unpause or do I have to make sure to come back next month and pause again if I want to?

You can pause every month, you just need to remember to do it. I think I paused 8 or 9 of the last 12 months, just because I owned a lot of the initial reveal stuff elsewhere. There is no way to pause indefinitely. Typically I pause a month, wait for the email or Wario64 tweet about the next month's games, and then make the next pause decision right then and there. It works great.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
however I'm afraid it's going to be basically like it is now except at a higher price and you have to choose which games you aren't getting.
This is my assumption as well. I view this nothing as a way to do a price increase while trying to get people locked into their sub.

that being said I've always felt the money I spent each month was worth it, and I've been subbed since the first month, so as long as the quality remains the same I don't have an issue. (it's not too hard to sell the headlining games I don't want to make most of the cost back, and in general they make for good giveaways and christmas gifts :P)

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Gross.

They needed to change now that services like Game Pass are offering a much better deal for a cheaper price and this wasn't the way to go about it unless what they're offering are recent full price games.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
This is great news for people like me who keep an active sub. I can definitely see how those who sub only for select months would be ticked off, though. This is definitely designed to keep people in the system.

Why would anyone pay $5/month for Humble Trove, the games lineup is terrible
Most of the games are excellent, actually, but to answer your question: they're all DRM-free, so for $5 you could download/backup all the ones you wanted and then unsub. 60+ games that you now legitimately own and can play with no restrictions whatsoever...you could do a lot worse for five bucks than that.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Gross.

They needed to change now that services like Game Pass are offering a much better deal for a cheaper price and this wasn't the way to go about it unless what they're offering are recent full price games.

But they are changing for worse...

For existing subs, guess will see what games are offered each month.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
On further reflection:

Getting 10 games a month won't matter if there are only 2 good ones (opinions on what is good will vary of course).
Adding choice also sounds nice if there are two big-name games and 13 poorly reviewed budget titles the choices won't matter that much.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
So subscribe now then and keep pausing when it suits? Least there'll be notice of the full month's offerings in advance if I understand this right.

I appreciate the ability to choose, and thank god the blind box element of it is gone at the very least, but otherwise it's a step back.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Gross.

It's a completely different model though. With Gamepass, you might get better/newer stuff, but you lose access the second you let your subscription lapse. With this, you are getting actual retail codes that you redeem in Steam and keep, even after you opt out. GamePass is like an ongoing rental (a cheap one yes, but still a rental). Humble is a box of games for you to keep.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You don't get all games though.
You will if there is only 10 games, which would also be how the classic version (humble monthly) works.
it's also how it's shown in the video with them choosing from 10.
Like it's not 100% confirmed it's only 10 games to choose from but from what we have seen that seems way more likely than a larger pool so classic has to choose as well.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I like the chance since you can pause. I only cancelled my sub because I had to stop spending money on games willy nilly. Otherwise I was happy most months. If I didn't want the games then either my brother, SO or some friend wanted them. A few duds happened but in general staying subbed and grabbing all bundles were worth it for me. With this I get more information and can still pause and only pay for the months where I feel like the games are good enough.

Less of a deal for new people of course. But $5 per game is still a good deal if they keep up the quality.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
You will if there is only 10 games, which would also be how the classic version would work.
it's also how it's shown in the video with them choosing from 10.
Like it's not 100% confirmed it's only 10 games to choose from but from what we have seen that seems way more likely than a larger pool so classic has to choose as well.

But they specifically advertise choice for classic sub too. 10 of 10 isn't choice.