• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
You will if there is only 10 games, which would also be how the classic version (humble monthly) works.
it's also how it's shown in the video with them choosing from 10.
Like it's not 100% confirmed it's only 10 games to choose from but from what we have seen that seems way more likely than a larger pool so classic has to choose as well.

They show "choice" as a benefit of the classic tier, this super implies there will be more than 10 titles a month (or at least some months will have more than 10).

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
No, I do because I'm grandfathered in. Actually since I signed up for the 3 mo plan, they will keep renewing me every 3 mos at the discounted rate, so it's less than $12/mo. I get all 10 games a month and the trove and the 20% discount.

You get 10 games, but there will more than 10 choices.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
You can pause every month, you just need to remember to do it. I think I paused 8 or 9 of the last 12 months, just because I owned a lot of the initial reveal stuff elsewhere. There is no way to pause indefinitely. Typically I pause a month, wait for the email or Wario64 tweet about the next month's games, and then make the next pause decision right then and there. It works great.

Got it. Thanks! So the best value for me will be to sign up to get grandfathered and once it switches to Humble Choice just keep it paused until a worthwhile month pops up. Good stuff.

I get why yearly subscribers have an issue with the new model, but for my money it's so much better. Just the value in knowing what games are incoming makes it worth the extra cost. There were multiple months where I considered subscribing, but would have been super disappointed in the offerings and multiple months where I didn't think it would be worthwhile and then several of the revealed games were from my wishlist. I just abhored that hidden games method. Because of that, this is a huge improvement, and there will be no question about whether each month is worth it for me or not.

Happy to finally be onboard the Humble Monthl--er...Choice train!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
But they specifically advertise choice for classic sub too. 10 of 10 isn't choice.
They show "choice" as a benefit of the classic tier, this super implies there will be more than 10 titles a month (or at least some months will have more than 10).
Or.... it's a very simple oversight where they just copied and pasted everything in the columns as the marketing team was told that the classic has everything the elite does but an extra game to keep.

I really wouldn't go into this thing expecting more than 10 games to choose from, you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. Wait for humble to confirm there will be more than 10 games to choose from every month.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've bought like 3 monthly bundles. Sucks that it's getting more expensive but I won't be threatened into a permanent sub like this.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so this is basically a massive downgrade if you don't get classic, and then it's kind of same?
realistically if it keeps the same quality this will be a $3 price increase for people who just sub occasional months without any gamble on what will be in it, as it's extremely rare that more than 3 games are must have in any given humble monthly.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Or.... it's a very simple oversight where they just copied and pasted everything in the columns as the marketing team was told that the classic has everything the elite does but an extra game to keep.

I really wouldn't go into this thing expecting more than 10 games to choose from, you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. Wait for humble to confirm there will be more than 10 games to choose from every month.
That doesn't make sense when the Classic plan won't be an option when this goes live and it's the only plan with 10 games.

OP
OP
dom

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, I do because I'm grandfathered in. Actually since I signed up for the 3 mo plan, they will keep renewing me every 3 mos at the discounted rate, so it's less than $12/mo. I get all 10 games a month and the trove and the 20% discount.
Once your 3 month plan ends, you'll be switched to monthly, most likely.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
You get 10 games, but there will more than 10 choices.
really wouldn't go into this thing expecting more than 10 games to choose from, you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

I mean, if there's 15 excellent games and I can choose only 10, that's a great problem to have. If there are 25 games to choose from, and only five good ones, then that's still five good games and if at retail worth more than $12, again a win win.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

More likely, I'd expect that total number of games will vary month to month. January might have 10, February 12, March 11 etc.

Guess will see tho.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Humble Classic is only available if you sub now and get grandfathered in. You'll loose access to it if you ever cancel. They're trying to lock people in with fear of losing that level.

So they're locking us in now. No more jumping in and out. You're either in it at the classic price, or you're paying more money for a lot less content.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
More likely, I'd expect that total number of games will vary month to month. January might have 10, February 12, March 11 etc.

Guess will see tho.
That's where I'm most likely landing myself. But the video makes it very clear that 10 is likely the number of choices we will see each month. I could totally see them trying to get a few extras, but 10 is obviously their min and the video implies that 10 will work like the humble monthly where you just get the bundle.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the video and read most of the thread and I'm still exactly confused about how this is supposed to work. They've done kind of a poor job of communicating.

Have I got this right?

Classic - Get 10 games per month - you don't have to choose anything
Premium - Get 9 games per month - you don't have to choose anything
Basic - Get 3 out of 9 games per month - you pick which three games you get

Is that it, basically? Do Basic subscribers get to choose from the same selection of titles that the Classic/Premium people do?

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, fuck this. You can pick up anything you ever need from Humble Monthly from subscribers selling their keys either on here or elsewhere. For $20 a month they would need to be hitting this months quality every single time.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the video and read most of the thread and I'm still exactly confused about how this is supposed to work. They've done kind of a poor job of communicating.

Have I got this right?

Is that it, basically? Do Basic subscribers get to choose from the same selection of titles that the Classic/Premium people do?
basic you get 3 choices
premium you get 9
classic you get 10

if there are 10 games to choose from then premium you choose one you don't get.
if there are 20 games to choose from then in general you will miss out on some.

the thing they aren't clear about right now is if there is more than 10 games to choose from. from the quick info page with the choice it seems like there would be, but from the video it seems like there will be 10 games to choose from and that's it.

Yeah, fuck this. You can pick up anything you ever need from Humble Monthly from subscribers selling their keys either on here or elsewhere. For $20 a month they would need to be hitting this months quality every single time.

this has always been true. and will likely remain true. It was never truly the best deal to sub to humble monthly unless you love basically any game that comes out, it was always better to just buy the keys you wanted from other people :P

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
How do I lose access to the Classic plan?

You will lose access to your Classic plan and benefits if you choose to cancel your subscription at any point after or prior to the release of Humble Choice. Pausing your subscription is fine, and you will not cause you to lose access to Classic for doing so.
This was my major concern, now that I know pause is still in I'm totally on board with this!

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

Have I got this right?

Are they really going to allow Basic subs to pick any three games they want? I can see them limiting certain tier games to Premium and Classic subs.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
basic you get 3 choices
premium you get 9
classic you get 10

if there are 10 games to choose from then premium you choose one you don't get.
if there are 20 games to choose from then in general you will miss out on some.

the thing they aren't clear about right now is if there is more than 10 games to choose from. from the quick info page with the choice it seems like there would be, but from the video it seems like there will be 10 games to choose from and that's it.

It also seems really unclear to me how long you have to decide or make your choices. If I don't touch my Humble account for 6 months, when I come back do I still get to pick everything I want? Or will a decision be made for me at some point?

One nice thing about Humble is that while I kinda ignore it for long periods of time, sometimes someone will recommend a game and say "This is really awesome, and it was in the July Humble." Then I can go back and pick it up.

Do choices roll-over if I don't make any? If I am Basic and I picked zero games in October, can I make 6 choices for the November selection?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Are they really going to allow Basic subs to pick any three games they want? I can see them limiting certain tier games to Premium and Classic subs.
Why wouldn't they. The basic sub is still $15 (only $5 cheaper than the elite sub)

basic = sub for people currently jumping month to month
classic = sub for people who have subbed all the time
elite = sub for people who jump month to month but have fomo :P

It also seems really unclear to me how long you have to decide or make your choices. If I don't touch my Humble account for 6 months, when I come back do I still get to pick everything I want? Or will a decision be made for me at some point?

One nice thing about Humble is that while I kinda ignore it for long periods of time, sometimes someone will recommend a game and say "This is really awesome, and it was in the July Humble." Then I can go back and pick it up.

that is indeed not clear (and I assume you would just be subbed for the months) I'm guessing what will go on is that each month page will just let you choose X number of games matching your sub. They already have a system in place for limiting keys based on things for stuff that is on multiple stores. Like if you buy keep talking and nobody explodes you can either get a steam key or an oculus key but not both.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States

It says it right on the site though..

Jj5Fxoq.png

"More games every month"

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It says it right on the site though..

Jj5Fxoq.png

"More games every month"
look if I'm wrong I'm wrong and the end result will be I'm pleasantly surprised and have more choice than I expect.
if I'm right then people like you will be upset and I will be perfectly content.

I lose absolutely nothing by assuming the video they spent vastly more time making is more accurate than the graphic. If you want to believe there will be a large pool of games to choose from then go ahead. Humble has yet to officially confirm any range of games that you will be able to choose from, and I personally find it foolish to assume it will be above 10 when the video makes it fairly clear that classic will work like monthly and you will get 10 games.

But I can't control how other people view things, just don't expect any sympathy from me when humble does come out and confirm that most months will only have 10 games to chose from.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch, that price increase if you don't lock in now is harsh. They might actually get to me as I often feel these Monthly bundles are good value.

this has always been true. and will likely remain true. It was never truly the best deal to sub to humble monthly unless you love basically any game that comes out, it was always better to just buy the keys you wanted from other people :P
It depends since most people tend to use Paypal, fees are pretty terrible unless you're in the same region. I found buying singular games not viable at all. Now if I buy-in every month, I usually end up selling my extras/undesired keys after waiting a little while. It definitely subsidizes the cost as certain games could cover most of not all of a single month. You lose out on that option otherwise.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
look if I'm wrong I'm wrong and the end result will be I'm pleasantly surprised and have more choice than I expect.
if I'm right then people like you will be upset and I will be perfectly content.

I lose absolutely nothing by assuming the video they spent vastly more time making is more accurate than the graphic. If you want to believe there will be a large pool of games to choose from then go ahead. Humble has yet to officially confirm any range of games that you will be able to choose from, and I personally find it foolish to assume it will be above 10 when the video makes it fairly clear that classic will work like monthly and you will get 10 games.

But I can't control how other people view things, just don't expect any sympathy from me when humble does come out and confirm that most months will only have 10 games to chose from.
No one needs your sympathy, it's not that big of a deal. I'm just pointing out what it says.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm not sure I understand well, but as long as I can keep my "Classic" subscription, I'm happy.
Hope it'll work out for them, I still prefer this to Gamepass or similar on PC.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
No one needs your sympathy, it's not that big of a deal. I'm just pointing out what it says.
Yeah I also assume more than 10 games from what info we have gotten so far. "More games" would be silly to say otherwise since it's been up to 11 in the Monthly before, and 10 in the latest bundle, but I guess that if they have 10 each month it's gonna be a couple of extra over time since the current bundle jumps around and often is a little under 10. The Classic choice checkmark would be a complete error if there were only 10 games. But if that turns out to be a mistake on their part then so be it, I wouldn't be the least bit "upset". I would question why they wouldn't outright state that it would be 10 games and say it isn't a choice with Classic, but that's that.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

"Basic" sub is 25% more expensive than the current sub of Humble Monthly, and you get way fewer games. There is no reason to further punish the "Basic" customers.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
and you also seem to be completely ignoring the video which is way more likely to be accurate *shrug*
As for not being a big deal, The whining and salt from people is going to be massive if people keep spreading around that the 10 sub gets you a choice and there is only 10 games to get.

The proper narrative to set at this point is that there will be at least 10 games to choose from, there may be more but it's not clear at this time.

If there is something you can always count on gamers to do its whining about things when they don't go the way they assume they would even if there is no actual proof that it would go the way they assume :P

Yeah I also assume more than 10 games from what info we have gotten so far. "More games" would be silly to say otherwise since it's been up to 11 in the Monthly before, and 10 in the latest bundle, but I guess that if they have 10 each month it's gonna be a couple of extra over time since the current bundle jumps around and often is a little under 10. The Classic choice checkmark would be a complete error if there were only 10 games. But if that turns out to be a mistake on their part then so be it, I wouldn't be the least bit "upset". I would question why they wouldn't outright state that it would be 10 games and say it isn't a choice with Classic, but that's that.
The video makes it pretty clear it's intended to be 10 choices. As for why they wouldn't outright state 10, because most likely they will be targeting 10 a month but some months will be able to line up extra choices. Which would still make the choice check mark true, just not every month :P

Again, ideally I'm wrong and there is a large pool of games to choose from. But's it's really foolish to assume that is how it will be when they haven't actually clearly stated and the two sources of information they have somewhat contradict each other.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Humble classic is literally objectively better in every single way.

Was it just not viable for them to continue doing this anymore or something? Are they having financial issues?

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the 10 games dropping each month are still timed deals as they are now or could you get games you missed from previous months of humble choice too?

If it's the former it makes more business sense but is just a price hike then.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The video makes it pretty clear it's intended to be 10 choices. As for why they wouldn't outright state 10, because most likely they will be targeting 10 a month but some months will be able to line up extra choices. Which would still make the choice check mark true, just not every month :P

Again, ideally I'm wrong and there is a large pool of games to choose from. But's it's really foolish to assume that is how it will be when they haven't actually clearly stated and the two sources of information they have somewhat contradict each other.
Have not been able to watch the video. Website would be almost false advertising if there are 10 games as a standard. At least very misleading and bad.
But as I said, I don't really care myself. 10 revealed games is better than what we get now. I'm just saying that everything on the site points to more than 10 games and that's that.

The whining will all be Humble's fault. Let people bash them if that happens because they would deserve it. ;)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Humble classic is literally objectively better in every single way.

Was it just not viable for them to continue doing this anymore or something? Are they having financial issues?
Games in general are less likely to bundle themselves anymore. There are lots of bundles, and for most the long terms benefits of bundling isn't there.
You have a strong narrative going around about not devaluing games (partially in thanks to Epic games and their originally statements about not running sales which they have backtracked on since) and bundles are viewed as a way to devalue your games instead of a way to market/get a boost of revenue.

You also have stuff like gamepass which if you don't want to own games long term and instead just want access to as many as possible is the vastly superior deal and likely hurt the humble monthly sales.

To get notable games on the service you have to pay for them, which is likely why the price increase is happening, because at $12 the humble monthly was really a solid deal. Most of the time the headliner game as $12 alone would be the best sale it had ever been on. (and it instantly started making those games sell for $5-$8 on other places like our very own buy/sell/trade thread)

Something had to change, and humble has been emailing people about changes like this for a while.

Have not been able to watch the video. Website would be almost false advertising if there are 10 games as a standard. At least very misleading and bad.
But as I said, I don't really care myself. 10 revealed games is better than what we get now. I'm just saying that everything on the site points to more than 10 games and that's that.

The whining will all be Humble's fault. Let people bash them if that happens because they would deserve it. ;)
to be fair they make classic sound like it will work like the monthly in general so if there is more than 10 games it would be almost false advertising because you wouldn't be able to get all the games like you did with the monthly :P

edit: now that I actually got around to looking at https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...-relaunching-more-expensive-as-humble-choice/

Humble's game subscription service Humble Monthly will soon relaunch with a higher price as Humble Choice. Rather than giving a fixed bag of games (usually 8) for $12/month, each month Humble Choice have a choice of 10 games and let you pick some to keep. You'll get 3 on the Choice Basic tier for $15/month, or 9 for $20/month on Choice Premium. Humble describe this as an "upgrade" but unless the Choice games are significantly better or more expensive than Monthly's offerings, it sounds like a price rise disguised as a hot rebrand.

So the 10 games dropping each month are still timed deals as they are now or could you get games you missed from previous months of humble choice too?

If it's the former it makes more business sense but is just a price hike then.

Most likely the first, and yes, this is basically a nicely dressed up price hike with the change that you no longer will be blindly buying any games.