• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm thinking that they have to step up their game now due to XBox Game Pass on PC.

That's so weird because this is a worsening of the service for the price and because I feel like this was (admittedly not an uncontroversial opinion incoming) the better option to gamepass because you could quit the subscription and still have access to the games you got from the service. But then I just have a strong inherent bias against rent-seeking and am frustrated to see it creeping into more parts of society.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wait how is classic cheaper than premium what

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
i dont actually get what's happening.

is it the same thing, just all revealed up front, or is there some sort of "choosing" involved from a larger array of games?
There will be a pool of games (most likely 10, but maybe more) if you are on the $15 sub you will get to choose 3, the $20 sub choose 9 and... see below
Wait how is classic cheaper than premium what
Classic is only for people who are subbed during the monthly and remain subbed indefinitely you can't get on it after you let your sub lapse. Classic is the same price as monthly and lets you choose 10 games.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't they. The basic sub is still $15 (only $5 cheaper than the elite sub)

basic = sub for people currently jumping month to month
classic = sub for people who have subbed all the time
elite = sub for people who jump month to month but have fomo :P

I feel like it would hurt sales of the Premium sub. I've subbed plenty of times, and there's never been a month where I wanted everything they revealed.
Three games sounds about what I'd normally keep for myself before selling the rest.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I just subbed for the first time this month... Trying to scare me into staying subbed is kind of having the opposite effect though... I'll think about it though, only because at least this sub you get to keep your games instead of them being just rentals.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So if I sub now, I'll be able to keep the classic sub after, but I won't be able to cancel it ?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
That's so weird because this is a worsening of the service for the price and because I feel like this was (admittedly not an uncontroversial opinion incoming) the better option to gamepass because you could quit the subscription and still have access to the games you got from the service. But then I just have a strong inherent bias against rent-seeking and am frustrated to see it creeping into more parts of society.
I was thinking that they plan on injecting more semi-recent AAA games into the service and need the guaranteed revenue to prevent it from going upside down in profit.

Every other aspect is objectively worse, which is why they wisely chose to let people keep their current plan.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it would hurt sales of the Premium sub. I've subbed plenty of times, and there's never been a month where I wanted everything they revealed.
Three games sounds about what I'd normally keep for myself before selling the rest.
under this change you would still be paying $3 more to get those 3 games, thus why I said that tier was for people who only sub sometimes.

The goal for humble would be to get people to perm sub (classic) and get as few games as possible per $ (the basic sub) as they have to pay money for the keys. So while yes if there are only 3 $60 games and the rest are $15 indies the $60 games will be far more likely to get picked and likely cost more per key. odds are the $5 difference between the two tiers is about the cost of the other 6 keys, and they don't give out a 20% discount then only a 10% which will let them keep a higher percent of sales on their store. They want people perm subbed though as that's a steady income that doesn't fluctuate much that they can count on.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
More like sub Lite during a good sale, buy some games you have been eyeing and get an extra 10% off, grab all the Trove games, unsub until next good sale when more Trove games have been added.
Maximum Efficiency! I like it.
I wonder now how often those Trove games get shuffled around. How long would it take to replace like 80%+ of the titles in it?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Maximum Efficiency! I like it.
I wonder now how often those Trove games get shuffled around. How long would it take to replace like 80%+ of the titles in it?
they are pretty stagnant. I don't recall many getting removed, and they add maybe 10 a year or so. but I also don't watch it that closely. As while I like small indie games I have a billion of them to play already lol.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
they are pretty stagnant. I don't recall many getting removed, and they add maybe 10 a year or so. but I also don't watch it that closely. As while I like small indie games I have a billion of them to play already lol.
Yeah I don't usually pay attention to the Trove. Last time I used it was to grab a bunch of games for the kid's laptop so they could play some offline during their last vacation trip.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
As long as they let you pause I think it would be quite silly to not to sub now and start pausing if things are not interesting enough, that is if you are in any way interested in the kind of games Monthly had had before for that price. If pausing ever goes away you could just cancel at that point.

I bet they are counting on a bunch of people forgetting to pause tho.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't own a gaming rig atm and likely won't for a couple of years but subbed for this. At the very least £9 for Spyro and Crash are good for this month and see what the choice is like when it starts. Will see how things go but could be a nice way to pad the library between now and then.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I've been a sub since the beginning of Monthly, I have just been seeing the early unlocks, if I like them, then I don't pause. I have been pausing a lot more lately, and I haven't decided if I want this October bunch or not quite yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
the messaging has been unclear but they confirmed they're starting with a pool of 10 games/month, meaning that "Choice" won't apply to Classic members, at least at first. still two more games per month than we've been getting, and having them revealed upfront means it'll be easy to decide whether or not to pause

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So it's 10 games every month or 10 games for the year?
each month
the messaging has been unclear but they confirmed they're starting with a pool of 10 games/month, meaning that "Choice" won't apply to Classic members, at least at first. still two more games per month than we've been getting, and having them revealed upfront means it'll be easy to decide whether or not to pause

oh look, it's exactly what I've been saying >.>

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Wow, just woke up to this in my email.

I'm a yearly sub atm, I don't mind paying the old rate again next year. Getting an extra game and being able to see all the available games for the month for the same price sounds good, and I'm optimistic that the higher sticker price for "ala carte" purchases will drive the quality of the games in the monthly drops upward. After all, who's paying 20 bucks outright for a bad selection?

And since you still have the right to pause, you can outright nope out of any bad months without worrying that you'll miss out on something good.

My only worry: I have a feeling that giving us the option to choose will lead to IGN/Humble sticking UPlay, Origin and EGS keys/activations among the selections, further down the line. Calling this now.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
My only worry: I have a feeling that giving us the option to choose will lead to IGN/Humble sticking UPlay, Origin and EGS keys/activations among the selections, further down the line. Calling this now.
Yeah this is what I said too. They already had Assassin's Creed Origins on Uplay as their main game for May this year so it's very likely it will be like that.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah this is what I said too. They already had Assassin's Creed Origins on Uplay as their main game for May this year so it's very likely it will be like that.

I think we we'll see EGS games get Humble'd very shortly before the year contract is up for them and they hit Steam.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
As someone who's been with the service intermittently from the start (pausing here and there), this is a net buff to me. Now I don't have to wait til the end of the month to know I don't want the games that month for fear of missing out on something good.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone remotely interested in this should consider jumping on the first month. I have a gut feeling that the first month of this is going to be really good just to launch and attract people to the new service.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I think we we'll see EGS games get Humble'd very shortly before the year contract is up for them and they hit Steam.

Hell it would make a lot of sense for everyone involved if a game like borderlands 3 hit the humble monthly around the same time it hit Steam.

it would allow them to put it on a massive discount to drive people to the epic store without actually having it on sale on the store.
and it would lock everyone who gets it from the humble monthly into buying the DLC from the epic store (which is a $50 pass) And those who hate the epic store will still buy it from the steam store at full price.

I think everyone remotely interested in this should consider jumping on the first month. I have a gut feeling that the first month of this is going to be really good just to launch and attract people to the new service.

from the comments they have made, if it launches this year it sounds like the 3rd month or so will be the good one... but I mean... you will know what is in the bundle anyway so you don't have to jump on anything o.O

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
not a real fan, it was nice unsubbing for a while and then resubbing when something i really wanted popped up. i guess this really stabilizes their monthly sub income a lot more, so i can understand.

still, i'll stay on the $12/mo until i feel like a month has real junk then i'll probably unsub forever, the diff between $12 and $20 is a bit too high.

ironically i subbed only a few days ago to get spyro/crash, and then when i saw the reviews i realized it was getting (rightfully) review bombed for being owned by activision-blizzard and the whole china debacle. all kinda interesting.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
not a real fan, it was nice unsubbing for a while and then resubbing when something i really wanted popped up. i guess this really stabilizes their monthly sub income a lot more, so i can understand.

still, i'll stay on the $12/mo until i feel like a month has real junk then i'll probably unsub forever, the diff between $12 and $20 is a bit too high.

ironically i subbed only a few days ago to get spyro/crash, and then when i saw the reviews i realized it was getting (rightfully) review bombed for being owned by activision-blizzard and the whole china debacle. all kinda interesting.
You can pause and keep the $12 plan, no need to pay every month if you don't like the games. The only difference from unsubbing is that you have to remember to pause it every month.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I will say for $20 a month their game selection needs to improve. I've been an unbroken subscriber because every month, with one or two exceptions, has had something I wanted to play for $12, but at $20 new subscribers are going to want to see some more sizzle

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
from the comments they have made, if it launches this year it sounds like the 3rd month or so will be the good one... but I mean... you will know what is in the bundle anyway so you don't have to jump on anything o.O

Well you'd have to jump in now to get the $12 rate is what I mean. What comments have they made to indicate the third month will be the better month?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Is it confirmed that pausing your current/"Classic" subscription won't downgrade it to a "Basic" subscription?

If so then this just seems straight up way better.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. You'd think they would have planned this up front for the relaunch. I wonder why they didn't plan around this.
Well they are aiming for a 2019 launch... which given how much is left of the year would put it in competition with the steam winter sale (in which time the humble bundles usually dry up as bundles tend to be bad for business during the major steam sales)

They likely are banking on people subbing to the "classic" and sticking around to see the first few, and will boost the quality as people start thinking about quitting.

We have seen time and time again with the monthly all they really have to do is have a quality month and people will show up again.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so i have the 12 month yearly plan right now with like month left to go. I get charged yearly. Where the hell do i land on this?

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not anti-subscription, but the major advantage about 'keep your games forever' is, ironically, you can sell the games you don't want/already have to lower the cost down.

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
I've always been intrigued by Humble Monthly but their scare tactic is actually getting to me and I'm considering subscribing lol.

Someone explain pausing to me. You have the choice to "pause" your subscription once the next games are revealed? And it automatically renews the next month? This seems like a huge loophole and they'll easily remove it since they're removing the Classic option once this new service starts anyway.