• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'm failing to see the gamepass comparisons here.

Humble Monthly you are getting keys you can redeem to specific digital storefront and you KEEP the games. It's not a rental service which you lose access to the library once you stop paying for it. I'm sure someone will try to make an exception to the Humble Trove but those are still DRM free downloadable executables you can still use to install the games as long as you still have them.

Oct 28, 2017
A direct result of other subscription services floating around recently!?

If XGP-PC costs less per month and also provides few recently released games, Humble is expected to change their current model.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I've been subbed for ages so this may not affect me in practice, but I don't like the fact that they're pressuring me to stay subbed

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
So, what happens if you don't choose your 3-10 games in a particular month - do you effectively pay for nothing?

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
I think you have to explicitly claim a month to count it towards your subscription.

Maybe... But they seem to be giving the option for 12 month subscriptions, for an upfront payment. Would that mean if you don't choose a game for three months, the 12 month subscription would extend those 3 months?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Maybe... But they seem to be giving the option for 12 month subscriptions, for an upfront payment. Would that mean if you don't choose a game for three months, the 12 month subscription would extend those 3 months?
I think so. The current system asks you if you want to claim a month when you click on it, seems that your months remaining counter only goes down when you claim a month.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
People decided to subscribe (or not pause the month) depending on the two or three games revealed. I can see why now they offer three games for a higher price. I don't think premium will be so popular, price is high and choose 9 games, 5/6 of which will go directly to backlog - an there will stay happily ever after -, it's not so appalling

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to jump in, which subscription plan would allow the flexibility of pausing months and not losing access to Classic? Do multi-month subscription plans allow for the change to monthly billing? Seems like paying month-to-month is the best option but I might be missing key information.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
If I were to jump in, which subscription plan would allow the flexibility of pausing months and not losing access to Classic? Do multi-month subscription plans allow for the change to monthly billing? Seems like paying month-to-month is the best option but I might be missing key information.
You can (currently) change your subscription plan at any point, taking effect from your next billing date. All allow pausing.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a Classic monthly user (currently), I'll only drop off if the games offered are terrible value - that said said value hasn't quite been there so I've been pausing every now and then so we'll see.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
This could be a really good move actually. Many of this years bundles were pretty lackluster and made me cancel my subscription (Though I renewed for Spyro/Crash) but this could very much keep me interested.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time I really wanted more than 3 games out of a monthly bundle. I feel like this is almost a bad idea, since many subscribers may downgrade to the cheaper plan. I certainly don't have time enough to blast through 10 games per month.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So let me get this straight:
  1. The previous Humble Monthly is going away.
  2. Humble Choice is going to be more expensive for the cheapest (with monthly free games) tier.
  3. If I continue with my current sub I can be grandfathered into the classic tier that is the best one at the cheapest price.
But I have one very big question:

If the sub doesn't end at any time, does it mean that I can continue being in the classic tier forever?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
As many times as you want IIRC. Some people here have paused several months in a row with no penalty.

Hmm so technically... I subbed this month for Spyro but canceled that already, could I re-enable that and then keep pausing over and over until there's something once or twice a year I want to retain the "Classic" tier?

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
So, right now I can pause until I see early unlocks I like, and then unpause. With this update, they just reveal the whole lineup and I can still pause indefinitely if I want. What's in it for them? Are they banking on people forgetting to pause?

Edit: lol sorry, I see it's been discussed right above this comment.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Radically increasing the price and offering fewer games (to new subscribers, at least) is an... interesting response to PC Game Pass. I'm not sure what they're thinking with this move.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Radically increasing the price and offering fewer games (to new subscribers, at least) is an... interesting response to PC Game Pass. I'm not sure what they're thinking with this move.
They're selling it on the games now being a choice + no more mystery..

I just hope that the removal of the mystery element doesn't diminish the quality of the games that they're able to offer.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This move isn't a reaction to game pass. They have been planning this move for well over a year given the surveys they have been sending out.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Humble Monthly has been too good for too long, I never thought it could stay sustainable, and I guess I was right. Well, even for 20 bucks it will probably be a great deal most of the time.
I will stay on classic though, at least for now.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I am kinda worried for indie devs with this. Revenue will likely be based on picks, and everyone who gets the lower tier will just choose the bigger games. Monthly was a great indie discovery tool, there were some amazing gems on there that people would not have gotten otherwise

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let the RNG wars begin. Calling it now, subscriptions will crash under their own weight.

I seriously doubt that people in general will be able to weight the risk/opportunity cost of each of their subscriptions and calculate some kind of expected reward in order to objectively measure the value of what they are subscribing to...

People will just start selecting 1-3 subscriptions per month on a gut feeling, dropping all others.
This is not sustainable for games/media which are not high in demand (most new things).

Kinda related: I would like to know more about how Microsoft pays devs through xbox game pass.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I am kinda worried for indie devs with this. Revenue will likely be based on picks, and everyone who gets the lower tier will just choose the bigger games. Monthly was a great indie discovery tool, there were some amazing gems on there that people would not have gotten otherwise

Yeah, that's something I would worry about as well.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Wow what a bunch of crap. I get they are raising the price of the subscription, but a 50% increase per month is ridiculous. Furthermore they're trying to scare people from ever unsubscribing. Real dirty. I know even when I pause a month, I have to click ok 4 times before it actually pauses. Really, no really, are you sure, really sure? Ok.

I have six months left, and I was going to leave anyway because I paused at least six months this year. No way I pay $20 for this, basically 1 or 2 old AAA and some fillers over Xbox Gamepass on PC which would be $10, and keeps getting better all the time.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This won't be that big of a deal so long as they continue to allow pausing without limits. If they remove pausing or place a max limit on the consecutive number of pauses, then Humble should expect mass unsubs.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a great ride. Gotten so many excellent games, but I've realized, just like most other subscription services, is that I just don't play 99% of them. Games are all about mood, rhythms, playing through series, etc., so getting a top-tier games doesn't just switch on some desire to play it immediately. Good that I have them for later, but even then, I forget about most of them vs. mark them to play later. I'll probably let this sub lapse once it's over at the end of this year.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
So, 15$ for 3 games when now is 12$ for 6+ games?
They gonna have to improve the quality of them, cuz with GamePass+Epic store giving indies every week i have not visited humble page in months.

predprey

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Subscription services are the future.

This is the capitalist dream. Instead of planned obsolescence to force customers to spend more periodically, we can just make everything into a subscription service outright and guarantee a continuous cash flow for businesses. Alas, such a utopian world is still not within our grasp because the free market will always provide these consumers with the option of paying upfront for a product with a one time fee, pity......

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
So do the pause works only BEFORE they reveal the monthly games?
Because it would be too good to leave it always in pause and then pay 12$ only when they reveal some interesting games...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Why are so many people comparing this to Gamepass? You can keep these games forever.

Interesting change. Might get some months depending on the lineup. But in the past I never subbed to humble monthly, but I bought a lot of their other bundles already. This new version feels like some of these "build your own bundle" promotions. I liked those.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Why are so many people comparing this to Gamepass? You can keep these games forever.
Many don't care about ownership (especially not digital goods). I'm one of those people.
I get the games, hopefully like them, 100% them if they are good and then stick them in the finished category on Steam. And that's that. If I completed the game I will most likely never install it again. I have way too many other games to play.
Renting games via Game Pass is pretty much the same experience in the end.