• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
In response to my support ticket:
------------------------
Hey there!

Thank you for reaching out to Humble Bundle Support!

The monthly subscription survey was only to gather feedback. We currently do not have any plans on implementing any changes to the monthly plan.

Have a great day!

-Moriah
Humble Bundle
http://support.humblebundle.com/

------------------------
...which is about as much as I expected. Hopefully this is actually the case!

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to make an actual premium version, I'd consider it.

If they just want to raise the price $8, that's not a good deal anymore.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In response to my support ticket:
------------------------
Hey there!

Thank you for reaching out to Humble Bundle Support!

The monthly subscription survey was only to gather feedback. We currently do not have any plans on implementing any changes to the monthly plan.

Have a great day!

-Moriah
Humble Bundle
http://support.humblebundle.com/

------------------------
...which is about as much as I expected. Hopefully this is actually the case!
Hopefully, but "we just want your opinion on this thing we absolutely don't plan on doing, honest" doesn't exactly make me trust them.

Last edited:

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
We have no plans to increase the price, it's just a trial balloon, honest!

They're asking if people are willing to pay more for humble monthly. It'll significantly change the value dynamic and would mean I wouldn't consider it as the risk is too high.

Gutting the service to create a tier barely cheaper than present and adding 40% to the price for little benefit should be a hard pass.

Redrum7BE

Dec 27, 2017
I usually only subscribe for a single month when I'm interested in the games they announce as early unlocks. Without those the whole system feels too much like gambling to me.

With the proposed 2 tier system, you would get the early unlocks with both tiers, so for me the only difference would be a 2$ saving in the subscription fee for a few less hidden games.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think over a certain amount it doesn't really make much sense. The entire point is being able to get some pretty cool games for a small amount, so that even if a month is disappointing, there's likely still enough value in it overall. When it starts being 20$ a month, bad months start being a bit too expensive for duds.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot to break down here, and I'm not sure how I feel about any of it. I probably would be happy to pay for a higher tier in principle, but I've got an awful lot of thoughts and questions about the higher tiers that are being shown here.

* While it'd be to some people's tastes, I'm not a fan of the "4 items chosen from a group of 10" option, but that's because I don't really fear duplicates as such (usually there's enough I'm happy with, and I'm generally happy to give away those that I have dupes of); I quite like being introduced to odd new games through curation. If you really like a month's lineup, could you opt into a fifth, sixth, seventh title with a nominal fee?
* Humble Trove is nice, but it needs a lot more content to be viable as a premium-only perk - particularly from my perspective as a long-time subscriber who's therefore received an awful lot of Trove content through earlier bundles. Then again, maybe that's the intent - more budget devoted to Trove to make it a bit more Netflixy?
* I wonder if the third option (three-tier, one Trove-only) is the one Humble are leaning more towards, given they've put a bit more work in to establishing other payment plans for it. It seems weird to see that cheery "3 months free!" label - that feels more like they're advertising that offer, rather than asking whether that offer is desirable. I do also note that that premium option is $15, rather than the $20 on others (and actually slightly cheaper than the current deal if you buy in bulk, although that doesn't factor in bulk discounts that are currently available)
* As a current Annual subscriber, I do wonder quite how they're planning to evolve the version of the service I've paid for a while ago.
* I do like the idea of getting store credit for unwanted hidden items, but I'm very curious about the exchange rate; I imagine that they wouldn't want to quantify the value of a given item within the bundle in terms of the bundle cost, but I also imagine that applying the store value of an item as a discount is far too much.

I note the survey's in my inbox, when I'm home I ought to answer it - not least to see the additional information hiding behind those blue links!

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt they will reveal their plan to change the sub via mail if some random person ask for it.
It's a company, you don't go around revealing your strategy, it would be stupid.
Anyway with a 20$ per month bundle I'll just unsubscribe, it's too much for going blind, and with Paypal missing you can't even sell your spares.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I subscribe (I generally either own or don't want the games they are offering), but I think them shoving features already in the subscription into the higher tiers would rub people the wrong way. That seems rather crappy.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Eh.

The appeal of the Monthly for me is that it's a good deal for the highlight game and the mystery games are a nice bonus but nothing was lost if they were disappointing.
12$ for that is good, because it's usually cheaper or at least on par with regular sales prices, and the mystery games sweeten the deal a little (I always say I decide based on the highlight game(s), but I would be lying if I said that the mystery-games didn't make me pull the trigger a bit more readily, because "surely at least 1 mystery game will be something I like, right?" :P)

if they wanted to make it 20$ they would have to tremendously increase the value of the highlight games, because at that price I can probably get them cheaper in sales if I wait a bit longer.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
At least they have the right idea that a 1-month subscription needs to have a significantly higher price than a 12-month subscription.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't, simply because I generally pay for what I want. Meaning the headliner early unlock game is what I'm gunning for. Anything else is gravy. But I usually don't get around to playing them.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Humble has been pushing for 12 month subs for long time (with credit, discount or combination of these two).

That last option would just amount $3 price increase for one month subs. Leaving one year price at same ($11/month). (without accounting for promos).
Basically so they can advertise "3 months free" which sounds better than current "1 month free".

So that's very much in line what they're doing already.

I can see why'd they'd prefer long time subs and 12 month deal without extras was always crappy.
Can't say buying 12 months at time is very enticing for me, too much mystery.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the Monthly since the beginning with the exception of the second month, which I regretted not subbing to. I even laid down for the 12 month plan.

A second more expensive tier would be a big no-go for me and would push me to cancel outright.

Was only a matter of time since the takeover :(

And they claimed Humble would stay the status quo.

SteamEra, like usual, was right.

Everyone who was positive about the change was wrong.

Conclusion: positivity, glass half full and bright side = suckers

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Has the monthly not been selling well lately? Wonder if this is why they're looking into this. I've noticed lately they've been offering more then one game up front and adding to that.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Humble has been pushing for 12 month subs for long time (with credit, discount or combination of these two).

That last option would just amount $3 price increase for one month subs. Leaving one year price at same ($11/month). (without accounting for promos).
Basically so they can advertise "3 months free" which sounds better than current "1 month free".

So that's very much in line what they're doing already.

I can see why'd they'd prefer long time subs and 12 month deal without extras was always crappy.
Can't say buying 12 months at time is very enticing for me, too much mystery.
Ya, I get why they would want to push for 12 month subscriptions, but as you said, too much mystery. I'm not going to throw down 100+€ for a year of mystery games.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not something I would consider. As it is right now I'd say I play JUST enough of what I get from Humble to make it worth getting instead of buying games individually. If they make it cost more to actually get the good titles, I think that would cross the tipping point and just make it a better choice to forego the Monthly all together and buy the actual games I want.

Plus, if there are two tiers it seems inevitable that the cheap tier would go the way of PS+ and basically just have crap most months.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, but no thanks Humble. I'm not interested in paying more while removing value from the current option.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it feels like they are just taking away what you have now and putting it into the $20 tier. I wouldn't mind a premium tier with more/higher value games. The deal is already insane so I don't mind a price bump if it feels worthwhile. But asking $20 for the trove and the 10%? No way.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Considering, at least for me, the games are more misses than hits I wouldn't sub to a premium tier and if the "basic" tier is worse than what we have now I'd never sub again.