• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Two polish resellers are currently listing Hunt: Showdown as an EGS title, the game is currently available to purchase on Steam in Early Access, 1.0 is expected to hit the stores on August 20th.

30099_5d380fb96d99b.jpg

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
man that platform that is likely responsible for most of our sales and exposure lol fuck 'em

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Wow I was looking forward to buying this soon. I really hope it's not epic exclusive and is just available on epic. But of course it will be :(

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
game already doesn't have a huge population, it's going to be even more DOA as a result

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Can't see it happening. Not when it's already on sale on Steam, and has been for quite some time.

Might just be that they've done a deal with Epic to only sell the Steam version on Steam directly going forward, and third party key sellers would be EGS codes.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that you can already buy and play this on Steam (and have been able to for ages - I can't remember when I bought it... a year ago maybe?) means that it wouldn't be an Epic exclusive surely? Steam aren't going to remove it from your account?

Might just be that they've done a deal with Epic to only sell the Steam version on Steam directly going forward, and third party key sellers would be EGS codes.

I can see this maybe being the case. Done a deal to only sell Epic codes through retailers for x amount of time.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
The fact that you can already buy and play this on Steam (and have been able to for ages - I can't remember when I bought it... a year ago maybe?) means that it wouldn't be an Epic exclusive surely? Steam aren't going to remove it from your account?
I would guess not but they can remove it from steam for any future buyers I think.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018

God could you imagine, this would be comically anti-competition D:

...though let's be honest, also entirely in character

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Someone else suggested they might have made a deal to sell the retail version as EGS codes.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
In previous instances when games were removed from Steam, like when EA took down their products to sell them on Origin instead, they didn't remove the games from people's accounts, they were just made unavailable for further sales.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I guess at a massive stretch, they could say "We are not going to be updating the Steam version any more (for 12 months). We will offer a refund to all purchasers, waiving the usual Steam refund restrictions, and we're going to be Epic exclusive for 12 months".

But I think that would be even worse PR than any of the other Epic exclusive announcements we've had so far. I think it would be utterly toxic for all parties involved. I wouldn't want to rule it out 100%, but not far off.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Seems a little premature to assume it's exclusive.

If it's not, that's a decent sign that EGS might be starting to be viable as just another store, and not a store that relies solely on exclusives.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Lol what is this clickbait title? There's not a single shred of evidence to support exclusivity. The game is most likely coming out on the EGS.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
In previous instances when games were removed from Steam, like when EA took down their products to sell them on Origin instead, they didn't remove the games from people's accounts, they were just made unavailable for further sales.

It's a good point. They could totally just remove it from sale for future buyers.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah they'll probably just take it off the store.

unless valve has at some point changed their terms so devs can't use steam for beta/EA and then go exclusive on another store. if they haven't done that yet it has to be coming.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I guess at a massive stretch, they could say "We are not going to be updating the Steam version any more (for 12 months). We will offer a refund to all purchasers, waiving the usual Steam refund restrictions, and we're going to be Epic exclusive for 12 months".

But I think that would be even worse PR than any of the other Epic exclusive announcements we've had so far. I think it would be utterly toxic for all parties involved. I wouldn't want to rule it out 100%, but not far off.
iirc, all games that were removed (Metro: Exodus, for example) still get updates just fine. it's ''only'' removed from future sales.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaannnn. This would be some wild shit.

Edit: ok lol it's gotten to the point where I auto assumed it'd be an exclusive. Not necessarily I guess?

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I'd imagine the 1.0 just coming to EGS, not an exclusive. I mean, I guess I wouldn't put it past Epic to do that. Taking games already playable on other stores is the next step in being shitty.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
iirc, all games that were removed (Metro: Exodus, for example) still get updates just fine. it's ''only'' removed from future sales.
That's true, although the difference is that it wasn't such a large window of time on Steam before it got pulled, and it wasn't an early access game.

Edit: and there are loads of steam keys already on the market, readily available from unauthorised retailers. I feel like delisting it from Steam would just result in people who want to buy it getting a Steam key from one of the sources still selling them. I don't believe any Steam keys were out in the wild for Metro when the announcement was made.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

They need the Steam audience to keep the population floating. This would be suicide.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Market early access on STEAM, then jump on Epic money train.
Genius.exe

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Assumption here sounds like a stretch. Sounds more like 1.0, the full formal release, will come to ESG.

Nevertheless, if they did actually cull 1.0 onwards from future sales on Steam it'd be the dumbest fucking business move ever. Hunt is absolutely glorious but has nowhere near the prolific sway of other Battle Royal-like games. Limiting the market of your big full updated release to a niche distribution platform, with exception to those already owning the game, would be a guaranteed death blow to population and player retention. Literally the two things the game needs to survive going forward.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, although the difference is that it wasn't such a large window of time on Steam before it got pulled, and it wasn't an early access game.
but it was an EA game. yes, one could argue the money they're receiving is so much they would do it, but it doesn't make sense. it would be already bad if it was removed from 1.0 forwards, but cutting all manner of update would be the dumbest PR move ever. this is a game that lives and dies by it's population. it isn't a rocket league type of thing where they already have gargantuan amounts of players to just ignore newer ones.
it just feels to me this is just a deal for retail boxes. we'll see.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
does epic even want non-exclusives?

They've definitely done loads of them. Subnautica and it's spin-off, Vampire the Masquerade 2. Pretty much all of the free titles they give away that then just become part of the store (so things like Limbo, Torchlight, Super Meat Boy, Edith Finch, Moonlighter, Alan Wake etc).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
but it was an EA game. yes, one could argue the money they're receiving is so much they would do it, but it doesn't make sense. it would be already bad if it was removed from 1.0 forwards, but cutting all manner of update would be the dumbest PR move ever. this is a game that lives and dies by it's population. it isn't a rocket league type of thing where they already have gargantuan amounts of players to just ignore newer ones.
it just feels to me this is just a deal for retail boxes. we'll see.
Metro Exodus was not an early access game.

I very much agree this is unlikely, given how much of a PR disaster it would be, I'm just trying to theorise possible explanations for what they could be doing with Epic.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They've definitely done loads of them. Subnautica and it's spin-off, Vampire the Masquerade 2. Pretty much all of the free titles they give away that then just become part of the store (so things like Limbo, Torchlight, Super Meat Boy, Edith Finch, Moonlighter, Alan Wake etc).
And Ubisoft games, although those are "exclusive as a 3rd party store."

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Exodus was not an early access game.

I very much agree this is unlikely, given how much of a PR disaster it would be, I'm just trying to theorise possible explanations for what they could be doing with Epic.
oh, i expressed myself wrongly. i was just talking about Hunt. what i'm trying to say is that Hunt being EA is an argument that it doesn't make sense for such a deal(no updates moving forward, removing it from the store)to happen. Would be a disaster, unless Epic is giving Crytek an obscene amount of money.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much guaranteed to be just for the retail release. Koch Media - best known for the Deep Silver publishing division - is handling the physical distribution, as they've mentioned in this press release:
Meanwhile, Koch Media will be handling Hunt: Showdown's physical distribution for PC, Xbox, and PS4, for all those players who want to own a physical copy of the game.

"Joining forces with Crytek for this amazing multiplayer game is exciting for everybody in the Koch Media family," said Koch Media's Head of Marketing Stephan Schmidt "The proven track record of the team in the FPS genre and the unique approach to multiplayer gaming gives us confidence that Hunt not only fits perfectly in our broad line up, but also serves a strong need in the market for fresh ideas. The close cooperation of the team with the community ever since the first release fuel the motivation of our global Koch Media teams, and we will support this title with all our experience in the retail market."

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Right, we were discussing non exclusives, thanks?
Yeah I was just mocking the ridiculous kinda language Epic use, not your accurate application of it.

This is pretty much guaranteed to be just for the retail release. Koch Media - best known for the Deep Silver publishing division - is handling the physical distribution, as they've mentioned in this press release:
Yeah this seems like it's what's going on.

Hardly the worst thing in the world, but I bet there'll be some people that end up disappointed thinking that they'd get a Steam code.

Funny that Crytek are still selling Steam keys on their own store though.