• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Up to 10 players, in teams of two or solo, drop into a decently sized map. You're never told if you're alone, nor how many other players you're up against. It is left ambiguous.
Every player in the match has 60 minutes to do...whatever they need.
The map is populated by assorted monster types; generic zombies, powered up flaming zombies, armoured types, and so on. Their distribution is random.
Each map spawns either one or two "boss" monsters, and several "clues" to pinpoint their location. This is the game system leading players to one another.
Finding clues narrows down boss locations. Defeating bosses initiates a "banishing" period, wherein every player is alerted to your location. Banished bosses can be looted for a trophy.
The ultimate goal is to get in, find a boss, kill it, banish, get the trophy, and extract. Extract to one of the handful of randomly generated extraction locations.
Guns hit super hard, but also reload super slow. All weapons are based around deep south Wild Western era equipment. Every shot matters, especially against players.
Players can level up their "Bloodline", which accumulates XP with every match. Bloodline levels increase weapon, tool, and consumable options in the store, of which are purchased with money earned in matches.
"Hunters" are your player characters. They are equipped with aforementioned weapons and gear, alongside perks, which are purchasable as you level up each individual hunter from a match's success.
And once you hit level 16 Bloodline? Every hunter that dies, and their gear, is gone forever. Death is permanent. A new hunter must be purchased, and geared out.

The level of intensity this game provides is something else. It intelligently keeps the moment-to-moment play ambiguous. How many players are actually in this match? What are their strategies? Hunting clues and taking down bosses is a core facet of the game, but an equally valid strategy is to wait for another player to do just this and then hunt them down and steal the bounty.
Even little things, like revives. Games like PUBG highlight when a team player has been "downed", alerting you to the existence of their alive team mate. In Hunt revives are possible, but the combating players can never tell the difference between a truly dead player and one waiting to be revived.

The game provides moment-to-moment tension and intensity unlike anything else. You're managing your limited ammunition against the undead, but also considering your volume of noise (the game has incredible sound design, with numerous factors like crows, horses, cans, glass, and other stuff to make sound awareness essential). The matches cleverly draw players together...but optionally, with truly no real way to know how other players are responding to situations. Hell, some players might feel they're out of their league and make for an extraction point after brief play, salvaging their gear and hunters despite not actually defeating any other players or bosses.

Hunt: Showdown is currently in 0.6, with 1.0 full release set to drop in August. And I can safely say that while this definitely has room to grow, the current build is remarkably robust and consistent for an early access game. I've had literally no game breaking bugs after 21 hours play, and neither has my mate. There's two maps with several times-of-day for each one, three bosses, several generic enemy types, and a ton of guns and gear to unlock and enjoy through the progression system.

Currently absolutely nothing in the ways of microtransactions or tricks to bait players into spending real money. It's just utterly wonderful and couldn't get any more recommended from myself.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
It's currently my game of the generation.

It's an audio/visual tour de force with very unique game mechanics..

I love it.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
yo i fucking love this game

currently looking for people to play with :-)

We need a community thread or something.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
The audio is very good

So I played a session with headphones and the sound turned way up, got jumped by a zombie, screamed very loudly, and then proceeded to the shut the game off

Haven't played since

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any female characters?

Community requested, dev confirmed, and coming in the 1.0 release.

That's another thing. The devs are really transparent with the community. Basically bi-weekly livestreams where they go over changes and additions they're making to the game.

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I tried it when on an alpha test I think the performance was horrible. Did they fix it?

What are you running? I'm not a good baseline: 6700K OC'd, 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4. 1440p at max settings I get 70 - 100 fps depending on map, time of day, and where I am. Really happy with performance on my end.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I played it on early access launch. Had a great time, but the loading times were atrocious.
Can't wait to jump back in and see all the changes.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy the lower tiers while it lasts, gets a lot harder to make money when you are competing with tier 3 hunters.

I think they have been progressively adding more tiers to address hunters hitting a milestone and suddenly being dropped in the deep end.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
What are you running? I'm not a good baseline: 6700K OC'd, 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4. 1440p at max settings I get 70 - 100 fps depending on map, time of day, and where I am. Really happy with performance on my end.
it runs okay on my 1060

i get close to 60fps on medium settings - back at launch i was somewhere between 20-30fps

Oh, I bought an Rtx 2070 since then. I was asking for my friend which has, I believe 960 or 970.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had the same build. I turned down my shadows to medium and clocked my 6700k to 4.9ghz and held 80-110 fps

I just did a new build w/ a 9900k and a 2080ti last night. Excited to see the performance bump

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy the lower tiers while it lasts, gets a lot harder to make money when you are competing with tier 3 hunters.

I think they have been progressively adding more tiers to address hunters hitting a milestone and suddenly being dropped in the deep end.

I'm Tier II, but at the moment it's up to Tier III then various prestige.

So, no chance that this will actually get single player content, or a pve only mode?

There's a PvE mode that pits players against each other, one-hunter-remaining kind of thing. But I'm not sure exactly how it works, as it's something about activating wellsprings.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
mtx is coming in 1.0 tho but its cosmetic only as expected. They said they need to do this to support the game post launch.

I bought it last year when it was released into EA. Now im waiting for the PS4 launch

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it when on an alpha test I think the performance was horrible. Did they fix it?
It's gotten a ton better as far as I know. I first tried it during a free weekend about anyear ago and I was getting absolutely terrible performance on my Vega 64/4690k at lowest settings.
Now i can mostly stay above 60fps with some settings on high, though the game is very CPU hungry, so I'm pretty extremely bottlenecked.
The game still is rather buggy though, with a number of visual bugs and some annoying ones like sometimes not being able to pickup items or bounties. There's also server issues pccasionally that lead to everyone getting booted from a match.

Anyways, yeah this game is a BLAST. I have put in 60 hours since the most recent free weekend. Outside of the weapons and traits for your hunter, there's not tons of content, but what is there is honestly amazing. Definitely one of the beat games I've played, despite its current issues due to being early access. While I do love the gameplay, my favorite thing about it is the aesthetic. It's graphically very beautiful and has this Southern gothic horror and weird west kind of look. It's awesome.

One thing I will says is it is definitely elevated by having a partner you can regularly play with. You can do well solo, and there is a different kind of mode that is solo. only, but playing with someone you know in Bounty Hunt makes it so much better. The sound design and focus on sound and stealth is also kickass!!

Last edited:

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Community requested, dev confirmed, and coming in the 1.0 release.

That's another thing. The devs are really transparent with the community. Basically bi-weekly livestreams where they go over changes and additions they're making to the game.

Thanks for answering. How is the population and connection? I always fall for these novelty multiplayer experiences, but almost always what happens is that theres no one playing except the 20x prestige people with a 150 ping that makes reaction impossible.

Is the game p2p or dedicated?

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Could a game in theory start with me as the only actual player? I played this a month ago and that's what it felt like.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to play some rounds with my friend last week and the servers were laggy af. Almost unplayable. :/

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Love this game. So many intense moments that have your heart beating out of your chest. Excellent sound and graphics as well.

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for answering. How is the population and connection? I always fall for these novelty multiplayer experiences, but almost always what happens is that theres no one playing except the 20x prestige people with a 150 ping that makes reaction impossible.

Is the game p2p or dedicated?

No idea. I play on Oceanic servers due to being based in Australia, and when I hear opposing players over mic they have Australian accents. My internet is shit (heyo, Australia) but my ping counter states latency of 30 - 40 average.

It's hard to gauge players, and I wouldn't know Europe or US. Sometimes it feels empty but I guess that depends on time of day. And I honestly don't think being high level matters that much. I've shotgunned/axed Tier III hunters out the gate by being in the right place at the right time. Perks help buff hunters a bit but nothing makes you immune to gunfire. Someone who has played 100 hours might have access to some great guns, but a shotgun blast to the chest is going to feel exactly the same as someone who started playing yesterday.

Could a game in theory start with me as the only actual player? I played this a month ago and that's what it felt like.

Yes, and I've had a few games like that. Also had some games where my mate and I thought we had the server to ourselves, tried to go for a grand slam of two boss bounties, only to quickly learn we were not alone and bailed on that shit.

Extra players definitely make the game what it is, but I really enjoy the ambiguity. You're highly reliant on hearing distant gunfire and other alerts to player presence, and never truly knowing if you're alone adds to the tension. We had a match tonight where we were so sure there was only one other team present, and it turned out to be six or so other players all converging on our bounty.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this pretty much when it "came out" and dropped it soon after. The skeleton was good, but it was so buggy, and the performance was so bad.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
It can but it's unusual (depending on the server you play in). Due to the PvE elements, traps, status effects, and trades being decently common in the game, it's not unlikely for all the other players to be dead by some point in the match. US East has been very populated it seems.

i want it, but im waiting for a discount
It was just about $22 during the Steam summer sale until this past Tuesday. It's gonna be $40 when it launches at the end of August.

mtx is coming in 1.0 tho but its cosmetic only as expected. They said they need to do this to support the game post launch.

I believe you will be able to earn the premium currency through gameplay as well. And yeah, fortunately it's just cosmetic.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Is there any female characters?
I asked this question on another site a year ago and I got back a lot of "gamer" responses. Since the devs at that point didn't confirm any female characters I assumed they agreed with their fans (much like mordhau devs) and I proceeded to ignore this game at every steam sale. Glad to know it's being updated though.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watched my brother and another friend play this and I've never heard them so consistently anxious about what or who they'd encounter

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy the game. I played 50 or so hours around a year ago? It is extremely tense, and really fun to set up traps for other players (camping around a boss area, or killing the boss and waiting to see if anyone comes). Performance wasn't awful back then, but hoping it's improved a bit. Maybe I'll jump back in and play it some more.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unsure why this isn't succeeding or being streamed by big names to draw more attention.

Dec 14, 2017
Been following this since it was announced but haven't jumped in still. Definitely going to get it once it's 1.0 though, should have more time to play around then as well. It's design and formula are what I'd like to see more of from the br genre, still so much room for unique experiences

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's absolutely incredible, and easily the most interesting game to get birthed out of the battle royale fad. My favourite part of it is the breadth of strategies that are viable. I ended up getting a hunter all the way to level 50 using a crossbow as my main weapon, which is pretty fucking terrible in hunter on hunter fights, but sometimes you get a lucky hit and it's OHK. However it's super useful at killing bosses, as it has really high damage and is pretty much silent. Not to mention when you kill the boss you get all your bolts back.

And as OP says, the ambiguity of who is still alive, how many teams there are, what they're doing; it all makes every decision you make have weight. Do you go for the boss because you're the only team in this area? (that you know of), or do you cut your losses, keep your hunter alive, and go again on another round. Or ambush, or camp, or whatever. Each round has a really wide range of possibilities even if the setup is pretty simple.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
The gunplay was clunky when I tried it during the free week...
How so? Some people I know had a hard time getting used to the tiered aiming system, but outside of the netcode which is not the best atm, I actually like it a lot.
I normally like very arcadey shooters like CoD and arena shooters, but I think HUNT feels quite satisfying, though it took me a while to start winning gunfights regularly.

Oh yeah, thanks for making this thread EatChildren. Need to get the word about Hunt out there!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely terrible at this lol but love the world and enemy designs, also maybe the best looking game of the gen. Played a bit at launch on PC early access and recently the open beta on Xbox and was bummed to see the loading times still seemed a bit long. Hope those can get ironed out at some point.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How would this game run with visuals maxed out on a laptop RTX2070/i7-8750H at 1080p? I get 100FPS+ on Witcher 3 with all settings on ultra so I assume I could run this at least at 60FPS?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played it for about one hour, and the while the game has a lot going on for it, especially the audio which is top notch, its really rough in performance. Also, theres not much to progress in terms of character unlocks, since the weapons are a lot of variants of the same archetype.

The devs also added one boss and one map in a whole year of development, so I dont have high hopes for a lot of content down the line.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
So glad to see some Hunt love on this forum, it really is a diamond in the rough. Super atmospheric, very tense, very pretty and some of the best audio design this gen. Easily Cryteks best game in years and proof they are not just a tech company, but can make a decent game also.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Might have the best Audio this gen.
I love good audio in games and Hunt Showdown has the best audio of any game I have played. If their is something better I would love to play it.
The gunplay was clunky when I tried it during the free week...
Controller? Cause gunplay is great with M&KB.
Ist there a good and fun progression/cosmetic system in the game with cool stuff to unlock?
Yes. Tons of weapons, perks, tools, and consumables to unlock.
No cosmetics yet but is supposed to be added for release.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
I just bought it when it was 7 dollars off.

I'm level 3, and I haven't heard or seen any other players. Is this normal?