• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Lawd. I have to apologise to the randoms I just played with for the last match. Trying to get my hunter to 50 and at level 48 I was playing super, super cautious and when we ran into another team in windy run, I took a couple of hits, got quite close to dying. I hid, healed and got a bit anxious. One of my team goes down and I'm sorry to say I ditched them both and ran off. Like a disgraceful coward but I couldn't risk losing my hunter that close to 50. I ran into the sunset making wildly for the extraction point, even took a bullet in my back as I ran which made me panic even more, zigzagging like a fool, whimpering and bum squeaking all the way.

Made it out though, got to level 50, got the trophies, retired my hunter just to say I've done it at least once.

Not proud of myself though, leaving them in the lurch like that. What must they have thought.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Lawd. I have to apologise to the randoms I just played with for the last match. Trying to get my hunter to 50 and at level 48 I was playing super, super cautious and when we ran into another team in windy run, I took a couple of hits, got quite close to dying. I hid, healed and got a bit anxious. One of my team goes down and I'm sorry to say I ditched them both and ran off. Like a disgraceful coward but I couldn't risk losing my hunter that close to 50. I ran into the sunset making wildly for the extraction point, even took a bullet in my back as I ran which made me panic even more, zigzagging like a fool, whimpering and bum squeaking all the way.

Made it out though, got to level 50, got the trophies, retired my hunter just to say I've done it at least once.

Not proud of myself though, leaving them in the lurch like that. What must they have thought.

You're a shame to your family
Not really, it's just a game :)

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
My regular group includes my mate and his wife, and while we each have a different approach, our thumb rule is that if it seems too hectic and we're rolling high level hunters if two drop quickly the third will retreat and hide for a bit and see how it plays out. If the shootout happens quickly we've found in teams of three sometimes the enemy are wary but unsure if there was a third player, especially if they've stayed hidden. While corpse burning obviously puts pressure on, there's been many times when the opposition has hunted around for a third party, failed to find them, assumed they've run off or never existed at all, and left two fresh bodies to be revived.

Or we take the risk, and a manic shootout of 3+ v 1 occurs.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Me and 2 friends got in on PC tonight. 2nd match and our first clue was the boss, killed it and we all extracted.

Let's go.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
i don't really like using the avtomat but when i do i basically feel like

tumblr_mww8ewj1ap1stgzqbo4_500.gifv

tumblr_mtjwgygoyo1qkxb1ko2_500.gifv

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
What opens the locked experience book things on weapons in the store ?

Continuously using the weapons. It all sounds a lot more interesting than it is, but basically it works like this;

Base weapons will be unlocked by progressing your Bloodline rank, which increases by earning XP in matches. Simple.
Weapon variants of the base weapons are usually unlocked by using the base weapon to earn said XP (eg: use the Romero 77 shotgun to earn 500XP, and you'll unlock the Romero 77 Handcannon variant).
Once unlocked, each weapon has has a relevant experience "book". This is just backstory and lore, often penned like a diary. Pages from these books can be unlocked by continuous use of the weapon to earn XP, of which doing so grants small rewards of the premium Blood Bonds currency.

Monsters are the same for their book. Kill enough zombies and you'll open up a page. Kill more, another page. And so on.

It gets a bit confusing when you realise you can recruit Hunters that'll sometimes have weapons you haven't unlocked yet. It's intentional. But does lead to situations where if you've used a Hunter for a bit with a specific weapon, and maybe even swapped that weapon out for something else, you haven't realised you technically don't have to buy yet. Using my prior example, you could buy a hunter with the Romero 77 Handcannon already unlocked, use it heaps, swap it out, stick it on another Hunter later. But technically you don't have it available for store purchase, which also means you cannot unlock its pages in the Book of Weapons.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I really really want to enjoy this, but I just can't seem to click with it. It just doesn't feel good to play despite how much I like everything else going on. It's also a game that I really wish I knew a few people playing because it seems like group play is really where it is at.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Continuously using the weapons. It all sounds a lot more interesting than it is, but basically it works like this;

Base weapons will be unlocked by progressing your Bloodline rank, which increases by earning XP in matches. Simple.
Weapon variants of the base weapons are usually unlocked by using the base weapon to earn said XP (eg: use the Romero 77 shotgun to earn 500XP, and you'll unlock the Romero 77 Handcannon variant).
Once unlocked, each weapon has has a relevant experience "book". This is just backstory and lore, often penned like a diary. Pages from these books can be unlocked by continuous use of the weapon to earn XP, of which doing so grants small rewards of the premium Blood Bonds currency.

Monsters are the same for their book. Kill enough zombies and you'll open up a page. Kill more, another page. And so on.

It gets a bit confusing when you realise you can recruit Hunters that'll sometimes have weapons you haven't unlocked yet. It's intentional. But does lead to situations where if you've used a Hunter for a bit with a specific weapon, and maybe even swapped that weapon out for something else, you haven't realised you technically don't have to buy yet. Using my prior example, you could buy a hunter with the Romero 77 Handcannon already unlocked, use it heaps, swap it out, stick it on another Hunter later. But technically you don't have it available for store purchase, which also means you cannot unlock its pages in the Book of Weapons.

I'm still a bit confused. I have the nagant in the store, I can buy it. But the silencer upgrade has a locked book icon on it. Do I need to fire off the nagant a few times before that book opens?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still a bit confused. I have the nagant in the store, I can buy it. But the silencer upgrade has a locked book icon on it. Do I need to fire off the nagant a few times before that book opens?

Does it look something like this?

hunt_showdown23_02_20rwkwl.jpg

If so, yes, it's locked. Click on the locked item when in the Store/Weapons menu and it'll explain what you need to do to unlock the weapon.

hunt_showdown23_02_20cbkwu.png

Oct 27, 2017
They must have thought of you what you really are: a pathetic coward! ... just kidding :P

No point in dying while trying to save someone with 1% chance. Safety first! Except when it's a lvl 1 hunter. Then go for it. Otherwise, run, man, run!
You're a shame to your family
Not really, it's just a game :)
My regular group includes my mate and his wife, and while we each have a different approach, our thumb rule is that if it seems too hectic and we're rolling high level hunters if two drop quickly the third will retreat and hide for a bit and see how it plays out. If the shootout happens quickly we've found in teams of three sometimes the enemy are wary but unsure if there was a third player, especially if they've stayed hidden. While corpse burning obviously puts pressure on, there's been many times when the opposition has hunted around for a third party, failed to find them, assumed they've run off or never existed at all, and left two fresh bodies to be revived.

Or we take the risk, and a manic shootout of 3+ v 1 occurs.

I'm a foul coward. I didn't even wait around to see how the situation played out, I just hightailed it to the nearest extraction. Self preservation instinct. I need some rocket league style quick phrases to communicate with randoms;

"Oh god I heard a noise"
"You handle it, my hands are sweaty"
"Sorry I hit you with the machete. Again"
"Fuck this I'm running away"

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I'm a foul coward. I didn't even wait around to see how the situation played out, I just hightailed it to the nearest extraction. Self preservation instinct. I need some rocket league style quick phrases to communicate with randoms;

"Oh god I heard a noise"
"You handle it, my hands are sweaty"
"Sorry I hit you with the machete. Again"
"Fuck this I'm running away"
what an extraction!

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Every now and then it's like the algorithm generating enemy quantity and positioning has a tantrum and decides to royally fuck you. Just cleared up a solo round, both bounties. A lot of fun right at the start as the very first clue lead to a shootout between two duos. I arrived just as one team had killed the other two, and processed to wrap up that team. They were probably battered from the fight so it was cheap, but like I give a fuck.

Two sets of gunshots populated the map in different locations from that point onwards. Only briefly saw one in darksight, a tiny blip, after killing the first boss. Thought he'd try to go me but he seemingly retreated, as I managed to get through to clear up the other boss and extract without seeing or hearing from them again.

However, the entire match was...something else. Nearly every single zombie had either cleavers or torches, and they travelled in packs. Every stretch of river or swamp was laden with water devils. Incinerators and hives were fucking everywhere, and it was like the game just vomited up an ungodly amount of crows, ducks, and horses right next to each other and around every fucking corner.

It was a mess.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I'm fine with 1080p, just making sure this isn't one that runs so poorly I'd have to run it on low just to stay competitive - like PUBG levels of jank. Good to hear.
The game runs at 60 FPS and maxed out in 1080p with my RX 590. It`s definitely more polished and better performing compared to PUBG.

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly every single zombie had either cleavers or torches, and they travelled in packs. Every stretch of river or swamp was laden with water devils. Incinerators and hives were fucking everywhere, and it was like the game just vomited up an ungodly amount of crows, ducks, and horses right next to each other and around every fucking corner.

It was a mess.

I had a couple of rounds like that. Immolators everywhere, two or three coming at me at once, great packs of grunts all over the place, water devils everywhere (how do you kill these? Can't seem to). Bit different anyway, especially when trying to take a bounty away from a lair and every body of water has a water devil in it and you have to re-route potentially back into trouble or guesstimate whether you'll make it across in time.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm fine with 1080p, just making sure this isn't one that runs so poorly I'd have to run it on low just to stay competitive - like PUBG levels of jank. Good to hear.
The game looks quite good even on all low settings. The differences between high and low are pretty slight, mainly lod on distant buildings. I wouldn't be too concerned here.

water devils everywhere (how do you kill these? Can't seem to).
Bullets, or the water proof explosives, like waxed dynamite. Kinda have to aim for the center of the mass of tentacles. They don't stay dead forever though. Only 30 seconds or so? They despawn long enough for you to cross the body of water, but will come back to block the way shortly.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to all for the performance help - I got the game and am running it fine with everything full at 1440p, just resolution scaling down to .8

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I've been eyeing this for a while, but between all the games coming in March and the trash local steam pricing, I think am gonna hold off till the summer.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So, uh. How's this game for playing solo? I don't really have a set gaming group so I'd probably be diving into this by myself more often than not. These games are usually really brutal when solo queuing though and I don't relish the thought of being constantly overwhelmed. :(

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh. How's this game for playing solo? I don't really have a set gaming group so I'd probably be diving into this by myself more often than not. These games are usually really brutal when solo queuing though and I don't relish the thought of being constantly overwhelmed. :(

I've played exclusively solo with no randoms and it is a blast. You need to be sneaky, and you often don't take down a boss because others show up. But you still get loads of xp for killing zombies, gathering clues and extracting.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Is there a good guide for how to use the game's economy and tips for equipping weapons? I just started playing this morning and it seems complicated and I don't exactly understand what I have and can equip and how buying shit works. Had a lot of fun playing. My hunter lady only got to level 16 or so, then my rank was 12 and I died in a match so she's gone. Oh well.
Check out this video as well as 4FS Gaming channel on YouTube - he should probably be added to OP.

youtu.be

Hunt Showdown Gameplay - HUNTERS, STORE, PROGRESSION, and MORE! (PC Closed Alpha)

Hunt Showdown Gameplay - Hunt Showdown PC - Hunt Showdown Intro + Overview! Today we *finally* get our hands on Hunt Showdown, and here we are covering the H...

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I had a couple of rounds like that. Immolators everywhere, two or three coming at me at once, great packs of grunts all over the place, water devils everywhere (how do you kill these? Can't seem to). Bit different anyway, especially when trying to take a bounty away from a lair and every body of water has a water devil in it and you have to re-route potentially back into trouble or guesstimate whether you'll make it across in time.
Water devils go down with two throwing knives or just fill them with bullets

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Almost 11k online on PC, i assume PS4 has the biggest playerbase despite being released just a couple of days ago. Also 1k people on subreddit, used to be like 300-400 max

Hope this game keeps growing.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
After playing for just an evening on PC, it's tough to adapt to the pace of a round. Sometimes a summoning happens really fast, and it feels like a mad dash to a single locations. other times its a game of hide and seek in the bushes. It feels strange, especially since there isn't really any loot or gear like other BR games (barring melee weapons and traps).

Def gonna give it some more time, especially waiting until I get quartermaster before I really judge it. I love the atmosphere, but in some engagements (especially with better players where you just die instantly) the gameplay can be frustrating. The amount of information - map layout, monster encounter, weapon info, etc - is staggering at the start.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good guide for how to use the game's economy and tips for equipping weapons? I just started playing this morning and it seems complicated and I don't exactly understand what I have and can equip and how buying shit works. Had a lot of fun playing. My hunter lady only got to level 16 or so, then my rank was 12 and I died in a match so she's gone. Oh well.

So the gear is arranged by many players into "tiers" where you have cheaper weapons starting out and more expensive, powerful weapons you unlock via bloodline or getting weapon xp. In an average match you should be getting more than enough money to break even on the cheaper loadouts vs. a good match which will pay for more expensive loadouts. What you choose within each tier is really personal preference but I highly recommend a rifle + pistol loadout when starting out, maybe a shotgun if you expect to camp or go in close. Higher tier weapons are generally just better than lower tier ones, with some exceptions like the Sparks which is always good.

Tier 1: Winfield 1873C, Vetterli, Sparks, Martini-Henry, Romero (shotgun), Caldwell (shotgun)

Tier 2: Lebel, Winfield 1873, Specter (shotgun)

Tier 3: Mosin, Avtomat, Nitro, Crown and King (shotgun)

For pistols, for me it comes down to whether I have or want the Fanning trait:

With Fanning: Pax, Chain pistol, Uppercut
Without Fanning: Bornheim, Dolch, maybe still Uppercut

It gets way more complicated and remember gear tiers don't stop a player from headshotting you with a cheaper loadout so skill and mind games still trump all else, but it's a good place to start. I also recommend looking at 4FS Gaming's weapon overviews to better understand which weapon will suit your playstyle best.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I picked this up for PS4 after seeing the impressions and I can't wait for it to finish downloading.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Played on PC. I did a 3 player Hunt, we killed multiple squads and got both our targets.. And then the game gave me a: "Pure function call" error when we escaped... Thankfully when I loaded up I didn't lose that match progress and it showed it still.

Got me super nervous though.

Also why does my Sheriff Hardin not look like him when in a match?

Oct 27, 2017

It works pretty well. It's still fun roaming around on your own and if you're sneaky you can still get the drop on other teams. There is always AI monsters around to kill for XP and you'll get XP for picking up clues and extracting etc. It's a lot tougher to take down the main bounty monsters alone though and if you're like me you'll find it hard to win a firefight if you've been surprised and you're now outgunned, but it's absolutely playable solo if you're realistic about what you can achieve. You can also play a little smart with sniper rifles and traps and bombs etc to even the odds and a head shot with a tier one shitpot gun is pretty much just as potent as a headshot as a tier 3 supermegagun so if you're a good shot you can absolutely compete in a PvP sense.

I will also say however that it's not a huge problem to not have a regular gaming group. I can't get any of my friends into this (the ballbags) so I'm matchmaking all the time and it seems to work really well with randoms too. I've been playing solo, duos and trios entirely with randoms and no mics - the 'highlight' button works well enough to communicate intent and once you've got a few rounds under your belt you know the compounds a little better and the typical means of approach to bounty monsters and so on so you can start to have a clearer idea of what's going on and what people are doing and then play the main objective without communicating. Obviously you'll be at a disadvantage to the teams that are talking to each other but I broadly feel I've extracted enough bounties to say it's not absolutely essential to success and certainly not essential to have a cracking time. Desirable sure, as with most MP games it's better with your buddies, but not crucial to enjoy yourself and make progress.

Water devils go down with two throwing knives or just fill them with bullets

Ah, thanks. I was shooting one for ages and it just refused to die. Maybe I wasn't aiming quite in the right place. I'm only trying to get the kills to unlock the library page.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I also like that the games HUD is kinda OLED friendly. I auto hid the health and ammo bar so only the targets and compass are visible

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Three kills from the lighthouse.
*chefkiss*
Got gunned down in the end but it was worth it. Bunch of teams spawned near each other. Had a gut feeling, climbed the tower, and proceeded to lay hell with the Sparks.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Really like this game a lot.

the fact that it hides a lot of information from the player is a great feature. The ambiguity adds to it a lot, and more games should take this philosophy

Oct 27, 2017
Had a torrid evening, lost 5 hunters in fairly short order. Last game of the evening though, was amazing - lasted ages, loads of enemy contact, loads of tense action during the banish, banished the spider and then had more craziness trying to extract. Killed a number of guys, loads of XP - basically all thanks to a guy going by the name of Firestone_ru, he was epic, led the way, killed a load of dudes, spotted and killed people before I'd even realised they were there.

And then the game crashed during the load to the post game screen and dumped me back at the PS4 dashboard. NooooooOOOoooooo....

Luckily, when I loaded back in, the game picked up right at the stats screen and I got all the XP. Phew!

Retired another hunter. I quite like doing that, also removes some of the stress of dying ha ha.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
So I just played a random contract (are there other contracts btw.? I can only see random contracts in the list) with 2 random PS4 users.
When we reached the final monster, one of my teammates threw a bomb and killed me and themself.

The other guy who was left, did an awesome job killing the monster, but never revived us. They just collected the bounty and left for extraction.

Is there any reason to do this? They had enough time to revive us both, even stood next to us and planted traps next to our bodies. I waited so long to be revived and then they just left. Maybe they're getting more XP that way?

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason to do this? He had enough time to revive us both, even stood next to us and planted traps next to our bodies. I waited so long to be revived and then he just left. Maybe he's getting more XP that way?

Literally none. Hunt doesn't preference XP distribution or even bounty. Everyone who can extract on a team of 3, even if only two of the three have a bounty, get the exact same rewards. He gained nothing by not reviving you and just screwed you out of points.

On top of that he actually cost himself a bonus. The only player specific reward (outside of loot) is revives. Had he revived the two of you he actually would have come out better off.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Got past the Trainee phase today. I retired my level 30 character and that raised my Bloodline level from 11 to 17 straight away so good tip.

I managed to kill 3 hunters in the last game so I just extracted without worrying about bounty (there was another one sneaking around the same area and I didn't want to risk it).

Game is really intriguing to me. I love that I can join and extract from a match map at my own will. The more I press on the greater the reward but also the risk of character permadeath. And I can balance out the time spent between PVE & PVP as I (mostly) see fit. The PVE element is cool because of the horror theme and monster variety. I'm kinda surprised how fresh the gameplay feels in this game as I admit aesthetics were the biggest draw coming in.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
As a solo player I stole the bounty of another pair of players:

Normally the heavy controls would bother me but considering 80% of the game is PVE and that the weapons are slow and western era it feels kinda fitting to me. RE2 Remake didn't feature auto-aim and ammo being somewhat scarce suited that game perfectly. I'm really enjoyng the medium range rifles. It's only with the spider boss where I feel that the game is not properly tuned for gamepad controls. I actually mostly avoid the spider if there's an alternative.

Other notes: Game has long load times on my PS4 Pro (I'm guessing it has to pre-process the GI?) and game can also suffer from streaming in quality textures occasionally. No HDR. So I can't say I'm impressed by Crytek in this instance but the aesthetics and design thankfully lifts the experience. I like the hymn of the main menu.

Last edited: