• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Chrollo's abilities. I understand how the page marker works. That one of his abilities didn't disappear after initiation even if he changed the page. But the order in which he was using all 3 or 4 abilities for different effects was confusing. I got most of it after many readings but I've forgotten most by now lol
The key is the Sun and Moon.

At the beginning of the fight, Chrollo made it clear to him that the marks remain until they're detonated:

AAChhMn.png

But Hisoka realizes:

x0teRxN.png

FDQNHDX.png

HW5rplS.png

TgQmlHM.png

Leading to the correct order:

rlKqFNQ.png

Post-death Nen shenanigans, indeed. Very appropriate that Hisoka would utilize it as well soon after!

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
The key is the Sun and Moon.
Post-death Nen shenanigans, indeed. Very appropriate that Hisoka would utilize it as well soon after!

All of which could have been avoided if Hisoka didn't just stood there and listened to all that explanation while Chrollo activated Sun and Moon, and then bookmarked his book. If Hisoka had been on the offensive Chrollo wouldn't have been able to do anything at all. Hisoka was a fool.

Now that gallery fake, and Shalnark's antenna are both gone for good, I want to see a rematch.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
All of which could have been avoided if Hisoka didn't just stood there and listened to all that explanation while Chrollo activated Sun and Moon, and then bookmarked his book. If Hisoka had been on the offensive Chrollo wouldn't have been able to do anything at all. Hisoka was a fool.

Now that gallery fake, and Shalnark's antenna are both gone for good, I want to see a rematch.
Yup. And Convert Hands (the one that lets him look like someone else, as well as someone else to look like him) was a great tactic because Hisoka was constantly worrying about that (along with Black Voice).

And speaking of Convert Hands: Chrollo could impersonate so many people on the ship lol.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. And Convert Hands (the one that lets him look like someone else, as well as someone else to look like him) was a great tactic because Hisoka was constantly worrying about that (along with Black Voice).

And speaking of Convert Hands: Chrollo could impersonate so many people on the ship lol.
And yet Hisoka is the one blending in while he waits for his chance. I'm thinking that bungee gum and texture surprise can now be used to change his face. After all, he has made an entire foot and hand out of gum.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
And yet Hisoka is the one blending in while he waits for his chance. I'm thinking that bungee gum and texture surprise can now be used to change his face. After all, he has made an entire foot and hand out of gum.
And Illumi and Bonolenov as well. Togashi definitely has a lot of options for some trickery here.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Just finished Hisoka vs Chrollo.

Man, imagine paying for the ticket and being really excited to watch a match at Heavens Arena, then that happens lmao. That was the most disregard for collatoral damage I've seen in a fight.

Chrollo was way too tricky.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017

Man, imagine paying for the ticket and being really excited to watch a match at Heavens Arena, then that happens lmao. That was the most disregard for collatoral damage I've seen in a fight.

I'm not sure whether you read the volume release, but Togashi had a little commentary on the fight and its aftermath. I assume you've read 357, but I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case:

"There were several things I wanted to do with this battle. First and foremost, the fight itself. I love stories where the enemies of the protagonists fight each other. One of the most exciting ones was when Tosamaru High School played Benkei High School in the baseball manga Dokaben. I really wanted to do that kind of thing in my manga.

I took care to let both of them show their manhood and also portray a clear, decisive outcome―while fun, a tough thing to do. The other thing I wanted to do was have someone say "I'll win 100 percent" and then really do it. The guy who says something like that? Generally loses. I referred to the attitude espoused by the swordsman Kogan Iwamoto. Shigurui is awesome!!

What I wanted to do most was to have him kill someone in the Troupe. I knew how the story was going to work out, but I hadn't decided who Hisoka would kill at the end. Hisoka wanted to kill Machi then and there, but I vetoed it. To lead into the voyage arc, I needed a messenger to deliver the news to the other Troupe members. He killed Kortopi and Shalnark as part of his post-mortem analysis of his performance in the fight, as well as for revenge, and I also wanted to show how serious Hisoka was through his cold and calculating judgment in reducing Chrollo's roster of abilities...is my excuse after the fact. It was my hunch that letting Machi stick around would make it more interesting later on.

This came up in my joint interview with Kishimoto, but I have a blueprint in my head when I'm writing the story, meaning I can put everything into words, and upon actually thinking things through, I often come to the conclusion that following the blueprint is indeed the interesting path. But when the distant future is still murky, who you choose to save or let go relies solely on intuition. I hope I don't come to regret it..."

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure whether you read the volume release, but Togashi had a little commentary on the fight and its aftermath. I assume you've read 357, but I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case:

"There were several things I wanted to do with this battle. First and foremost, the fight itself. I love stories where the enemies of the protagonists fight each other. One of the most exciting ones was when Tosamaru High School played Benkei High School in the baseball manga Dokaben. I really wanted to do that kind of thing in my manga.

I took care to let both of them show their manhood and also portray a clear, decisive outcome―while fun, a tough thing to do. The other thing I wanted to do was have someone say "I'll win 100 percent" and then really do it. The guy who says something like that? Generally loses. I referred to the attitude espoused by the swordsman Kogan Iwamoto. Shigurui is awesome!!

What I wanted to do most was to have him kill someone in the Troupe. I knew how the story was going to work out, but I hadn't decided who Hisoka would kill at the end. Hisoka wanted to kill Machi then and there, but I vetoed it. To lead into the voyage arc, I needed a messenger to deliver the news to the other Troupe members. He killed Kortopi and Shalnark as part of his post-mortem analysis of his performance in the fight, as well as for revenge, and I also wanted to show how serious Hisoka was through his cold and calculating judgment in reducing Chrollo's roster of abilities...is my excuse after the fact. It was my hunch that letting Machi stick around would make it more interesting later on.

This came up in my joint interview with Kishimoto, but I have a blueprint in my head when I'm writing the story, meaning I can put everything into words, and upon actually thinking things through, I often come to the conclusion that following the blueprint is indeed the interesting path. But when the distant future is still murky, who you choose to save or let go relies solely on intuition. I hope I don't come to regret it..."
I think this kind of confirms that Hisoka might have
killed Neon Nostrade.

Oct 25, 2017

This many people haven't died watching a fight since probably Yusuke vs Toguro.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Usually it's alive unless actually shown dead
With HxH I'm leaning more towards dead unless shown alive, lol

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Nevertheless, it's definitely the popular theory in the community.

Makes sense too, Neon prophecy hatsu would be very bad for Hisoka (especially if Illumi is somehow working with him).
And he knows about it too, the only thing i can't remember is if Chrollo told them about her or mentioned her at some point.

Also Kurapica was busy with the boat selection process in the last year so it would be the perfect time for him to strike.

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Makes sense too, Neon prophecy hatsu would be very bad for Hisoka (especially if Illumi is somehow working with him).
And he knows about it too, the only thing i can't remember is if Chrollo told them about her or mentioned her at some point.

Also Kurapica was busy with the boat selection process in the last year so it would be the perfect time for him to strike.
Yep. And given her reputation among the Mafia in Yorknew, it wouldn't have been too tough to track her down.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly just assumed a rival mob group killed her.
How would kurapika keep his position if the mob killed her? He'd have to die before someone got to her, that's how bodyguards work

My theory is that she commited suicide tbh :/ the way kurapika talked about how he got the eyes sounded dark as hell

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, if another Mafia family were involved, you think they would have kept her alive for her fortunetelling.

Suicide is definitely possible, too.

Oct 25, 2017
How would kurapika keep his position if the mob killed her? He'd have to die before someone got to her, that's how bodyguards work

My theory is that she commited suicide tbh :/ the way kurapika talked about how he got the eyes sounded dark as hell
I assumed he was doing something else at the time like getting a set of eyes or something or while he was heading to Mizaistom to talk about the boat mission. Suicide also makes sense as well. Also why is it more plausible for Hisoka to kill her while Kurapika was also guarding her? I also thought Neon lost her fortune telling since Chrollo stole it from her? She would be useless to another mob group.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I assumed he was doing something else at the time like getting a set of eyes or something or while he was heading to Mizaistom to talk about the boat mission. Suicide also makes sense as well. Also why is it more plausible for Hisoka to kill her while Kurapika was also guarding her? I also thought Neon lost her fortune telling since Chrollo stole it from her? She would be useless to another mob group.
Do we know how recently Chrollo tried to use Neon's ability? I think he said it was right before they went on the ship? It would make sense that Hisoka would take the chance to kill her when he knew Kurapika wouldn't be around to protect her since he was also getting on the ship.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Do we know how recently Chrollo tried to use Neon's ability? I think he said it was right before they went on the ship? It would make sense that Hisoka would take the chance to kill her when he knew Kurapika wouldn't be around to protect her since he was also getting on the ship.
Nope, he never said.

Oct 25, 2017
This is true yes, but Kurapika wasn't originally hired to keep Hisoka from killing her, he was hired to keep the rival mob from killing her. Who knows how many people had her under surveillance. It's a lot easier for me to believe that another organization saw an opportunity through constant surveillance over Hisoka stumbling upon the best time to kill her through coincidence.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly believe that either her dead pressured her to death or kurapika helped with that somehow(like making her giving up on the eyes or the like) He's the boss now and he can't have much sympathy fo someone that collects body parts D:

Hisoka killing her won't fill the timeframe as when the zodiacs found kurapika he had already been promoted :/ i wonder what happened and how he got that position. Unless it was supposed to be just the boss of the bodyguards and viz and the fan scans messed up

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly believe that either her dead pressured her to death or kurapika helped with that somehow(like making her giving up on the eyes or the like) He's the boss now and he can't have much sympathy fo someone that collects body parts D:

Hisoka killing her won't fill the timeframe as when the zodiacs found kurapika he had already been promoted :/ i wonder what happened and how he got that position. Unless it was supposed to be just the boss of the bodyguards and viz and the fan scans messed up
Ahhh. So that's the point of contention.

1o9ILxK.png

3CrmT09.png

I could see it both ways: either Neon is already dead at that point and Kurapika has risen that much, or Neon is still there and the "boss".

2mfk9xE.png

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Ahhh. So that's the point of contention.

1o9ILxK.png

3CrmT09.png

I could see it both ways: either Neon is already dead at that point and Kurapika has risen that much, or Neon is still there and the "boss".

2mfk9xE.png
Yeah, that's what's been bugging me, i believe neon is dead and her father either can't work anymore or died too, but kurapika keeping the name makes no sense if they are both dead so... well that's gonna be sad isn't it?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, that's what's been bugging me, i believe neon is dead and her father either can't work anymore or died too, but kurapika keeping the name makes no sense if they are both dead so... well that's gonna be sad isn't it?
Also, I keep forgetting that meek Melody is technically a Mafia member lol.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved Togashi's more minimal pen and ink style. The limited use of shading and screentone make his work stand out. Some of the character portraits he drew at the end of Yu Yu Hakusho were incredibly beautiful.

I'm not an art critic or particularly skilled artist though, so take that for what it's worth I guess.

EDIT: A great example of what I'm talking about

genkai.jpg

I really enjoy the sketchy look he goes for in a lot of his artwork.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved Togashi's more minimal pen and ink style. The limited use of shading and screentone make his work stand out. Some of the character portraits he drew at the end of Yu Yu Hakusho were incredibly beautiful.

I'm not an art critic or particularly skilled artist though, so take that for what it's worth I guess.

EDIT: A great example of what I'm talking about

genkai.jpg
Hello new phone wallpaper

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
An enlightening bit from his reflections after finishing YYH:

"I believe that anyone who draws has the desire to attract people with their art, but this is an ambition that I had suppressed for a long time. This is because back when I had just had my debut, my editor at the time had shown me a manga page by Hagiwara Kazushi (BASTARD!!) [example]. I felt that if I were honest with myself, my art would never be able to compete with something like this. But I was never able to throw away my ideal of being able to draw manga without help from other people. A few times during the run of YYH, I finished my manuscripts all by myself. All of these instances were when my stress levels were at their highest. I don't know if anyone will understand, but when I was stressed because I wasn't satisfied with my manga, the only way for me to relieve this stress was to draw all my manga by myself.

As a result, those chapters ended up horrible. Both the characters and the backgrounds were messy. The one-shot Two Shots, Karasu vs. Kurama, Yusuke vs. Sensui, the scene where Yusuke meets Raizen, I drew most of those alone. The latter two were finished in half a day before my deadline, as a reader guessed and criticized in a letter. This might mean I fail as a professional, but I was satisfied. I had already started to think that no matter what anyone says, no matter how messy the finished pages are, I just wanted to draw this by myself, and I had no reason not to go through with it."

He also had this volume comment:

7ESPZ1a.png

He was definitely hard on himself.

OP
OP

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the latest Promised Neverland chapter reminded me a lot of HxH. I won't give any more details to avoid spoilers but the parallels are very clear.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Reading the latest Promised Neverland chapter reminded me a lot of HxH. I won't give any more details to avoid spoilers but the parallels are very clear.
I've heard it has some good strategy/tactics.

And with it possibly ending this year, I'll definitely catch up sometime.

OP
OP

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard it has some good strategy/tactics.

And with it possibly ending this year, I'll definitely catch up sometime.
I've liked it so far and it's managed to keep my attention ever since I picked it up, unlike another popular manga I also started reading around the same time. With the release of the anime I'm hoping more people get introduced to Promised Neverland.