• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, the figure got revealed. 835 USD.

DJ0G2UR.jpg

Last edited:

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
I am just popping quickly into this thread to say that I am watching HxH for the first time. I am at episode 53 and just want to say that 51 was too good for this world.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I am just popping quickly into this thread to say that I am watching HxH for the first time. I am at episode 53 and just want to say that 51 was too good for this world.
Aw man you've seen nothing yet :3

Glad you're enjoying it!

I'm showing this seties to a friend but we are using the 99 anime because it seemed more like his turf

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna wait for an official translation, but now I'm doubting whether any of them will be willing to undertake that 50+ volume endeavor.

Oh there's 50 volumes already? Damn didn't even realized it. Do it, you got a lot to read then :)

The requiem, top 5 episode in the show for sure.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Finally got around to reading the Kurapika one-shot. Quick synopsis:

- Kurapika wants to leave his village and go to the outside world, but he's warned that because they're different, the people on the outside bully and fear them.

(Conversation between two Kurta Clan members:)
BX25lGp.png

- This desire to see what's out there came about when he and Pairo ran into a female Hunter who gave them an action-adventure book about a character who worked as a Hunter (which inspired the girl to become one). The title of the book is "D (Dino) Hunter".
- People of the village are only allowed to take the "exit exam" once they reach a certain age, but Kurapika convinces the village elder to let him take it now, promising that if he fails, he'll never ask to go to the outside world again.
- He passes, and the last part of the test is to leave the village and to not have your eyes turn scarlet around outsiders for 24 hours. I'll leave out the details, but Kurapika passes in the end (though he finds out that the Kurta are still considered monsters by some people).
- Earlier, we learned that when they were even younger, Pairo had saved Kurapika from falling off a cliff. But as a result, Pairo injured his eyes and legs. As Kurapika leaves the village, he promises to find a doctor who can heal Pairo. But Pairo just wants him to have an adventure like in the book they read so that when he asks, "Was it fun?", Kurapika can answer, "Yes".

And then we hear about the aftermath:

"The news of the Kurta Clan massacre was reported to the entire world six weeks later. The report in the papers at the time was as follows...

A female traveler who wandered into the forest discovered that all 128 villagers had been killed. Family members were sat down facing each other. They were stabbed multiple times and had their heads severed while still alive. Pure Kurta Clan members had both eyes gouged out. The eyes of outsiders who married into the Clan remained, but were squashed. They had sustained more brutal wounds than other members of the Clan. (Adult males had more wounds, but it is almost certain those wounds were sustained during a struggle before they were captured by the perpetrators.) It is believed those not related by blood to the Kurta Clan were mutilated to set an example. The heads of those whose eyes turned scarlet were then severed one after another. The scarlet color caused by anger is considered to be very rich and vibrant and is highly valued in the underworld. It is also believed the perpetrators mutilated the children more frequently and brutally in front of their parents in order to produce a more vivid scarlet color. A message believed to be from the perpetrators was found near the slain bodies. 'We'll accept anything you leave, but don't ever take anything away from us.'"

Some connecting info from the main series:

d5t9B5d.png

YjSbFtr.png

FNlq2T2.png

So, yeah. The Kurta may have done something to Meteor City/the Troupe for them to retaliate that severely. Though obviously that still doesn't justify what they did.

And seeing the bond Kurapika and Pairo had. If that head Tserriednich has is indeed Pairo's... wheeeew.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
And seeing the bond Kurapika and Pairo had. If that head Tserriednich has is indeed Pairo's... wheeeew.
It totally is. And since pairo had bad eyesight it was probably such an unique kind of kurta eues they decided to keep the head intact rather than removing it

Kurapika's mom was so awesome :(

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018

I've been meaning to ask. Since this guy is presumably one of the next big bads do you all think he will be the sole survivor the succession contest?

Poor woble, I want her to survive but I imagine that her survival will come down to Kurapika deciding to carry out his revenge or protect her. Kurapika's decision will show his growth as a character. Although Togashi could just do something strange because the King is keeping the bodies for some reason. It feels weird to introduce so many new characters and kill them off so suddenly.

So, yeah. The Kurta may have done something to Meteor City/the Troupe for them to retaliate that severely. Though obviously that still doesn't justify what they did.

Its also a strange decision economically to kill off all the kurtas. Their eyes are worth a lot. Yes they are even rarer now but now that the Troupe has presumably sold them all, they can't get any more. So unless they steal the eyes back from their current owners and resell them, they can't make any more money from the eyes.

It would have been more prudent to leave some of them alive at least to maintain a future supply of eyes. The massacre seems personal for some reason

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
It totally is. And since pairo had bad eyesight it was probably such an unique kind of kurta eues they decided to keep the head intact rather than removing it

Kurapika's mom was so awesome :(
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Since they most likely weren't as scarlet as the others, maybe just the fact that it was an anomaly compared to the others? I could definitely see Tserr. wanting it.

And then there was this bit, too:

qrIwQcf.png

I've been meaning to ask. Since this guy is presumably one of the next big bads do you all think he will be the sole survivor the succession contest?

Poor woble, I want her to survive but I imagine that her survival will come down to Kurapika deciding to carry out his revenge or protect her. Kurapika's decision will show his growth as a character. Although Togashi could just do something strange because the King is keeping the bodies for some reason. It feels weird to introduce so many new characters and kill them off so suddenly.
I guess to make a rough comparison to Chimera Ant (where he also killed off many of the new characters that arc): Nasubi = Meruem / Tserr. = Kurapika's Pitou. Though Tserr. definitely has some similarities with Meruem. I doubt Togashi is going to have Theta be in the Komugi role, but something to consider.

And speaking of the King keeping the bodies around, what do you think he did given the situation with Kacho's body? And I still think that line from Zhang Lei is a mistake on Togashi's part, but maybe things happened that we don't know about yet (i.e., they recovered her body).
Its also a strange decision economically to kill off all the kurtas. Their eyes are worth a lot. Yes they are even rarer now but now that the Troupe has presumably sold them all, they can't get any more. So unless they steal the eyes back from their current owners and resell them, they can't make any more money from the eyes.

It would have been more prudent to leave some of them alive at least to maintain a future supply of eyes. The massacre seems personal for some reason
Yup. People have also been speculating that the Kurta were originally from the Dark Continent, and that we'll get a connection there, but who knows.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I guess to make a rough comparison to Chimera Ant (where he also killed off many of the new characters that arc): Nasubi = Meruem / Tserr. = Kurapika's Pitou. Though Tserr. definitely has some similarities with Meruem. I doubt Togashi is going to have Theta be in the Komugi role, but something to consider.

And speaking of the King keeping the bodies around, what do you think he did given the situation with Kacho's body? And I still think that line from Zhang Lei is a mistake on Togashi's part, but maybe things happened that we don't know about yet (i.e., they recovered her body).

I assume that someone was sent to recover the two escape pods and now he has the body. I don't think Togashi could have left Mereum and the Royal Guards alive. Despite the Komugi situation, the King made it clear he still planned to conquer the world.

Although Togashi has previous for introducing characters then proceeding not to do anything with them in future arcs. To be honest, a lot of HxH has felt like world building and set up so far.

Yup. People have also been speculating that the Kurta were originally from the Dark Continent, and that we'll get a connection there, but who knows.

I wonder why they were all murdered so easily. I get its the Phantom Troupe but Kurapika's eye ability is fairly overpowered. Did no other Kurta clan member know how to use Nen or fight? It also feels like 128 clan members is a fairly low number. The Troupe was basically able to go in there and kill 128 people without suffering a single loss.

It feels like since the Dark Continent was announced to be a thing almost every character with a unique ability is said to be from there. I do wonder if the DC will be less monstrous and fantastical than we're expecting. The whole expedition reminds me of Columbus travelling to the "New" world. I expect there to be diseases and monsters but I wouldn't be shocked if there were people (like the Kurtas) living there as well.

On an unrelated note I wonder who hired Silva to kill that Troupe member and if that person's identity will be important later. My first thought is that it was Hisoka because Hisoka got that person's spot on the team and wanted to join the Troupe to fight the boss. But Hisoka wouldn't send someone to kill for him, he would want the thrill of the fight and kill.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
We will never she Zushi again
He was in heaven's arena last time so I wouldn't rule out the possibility he got killed offscreen

:(

I wonder why they were all murdered so easily. I get its the Phantom Troupe but Kurapika's eye ability is fairly overpowered. Did no other Kurta clan member know how to use Nen or fight? It also feels like 128 clan members is a fairly low number. The Troupe was basically able to go in there and kill 128 people without suffering a single loss.
The Kurta were pacifists so I'd bet most of them didn't have any fighting training, only the ET effects of enhanced strenght(which are more a hindrance than anything since the troupe had Shalnarkk to use them against eachother =/

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I assume that someone was sent to recover the two escape pods and now he has the body.
In that case, has the info just not reached the Justice Bureau yet? Because they still have Fugetsu and "Kacho" in custody.
Yeah, the lack of Nen puts them at a huge disadvantage.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that last message left by the Troupe after the massacre implies that the Kurta Clan did something bad and they were punished for it.

Also Pairo head being with the 4th prince is a very very real possibility, theres someone head in the back thats for sure.

He was in heaven's arena last time so I wouldn't rule out the possibility he got killed offscreen

:(

The Kurta were pacifists so I'd bet most of them didn't have any fighting training, only the ET effects of enhanced strenght(which are more a hindrance than anything since the troupe had Shalnarkk to use them against eachother =/

Nah Zushi is fine, Wing was moving him at a slower rate just to make 100% sure he was safe.

Kurta were definitely no pushovers, Uvo commented on them being powerful. To me that indicates they had more fighting capabilities than just the eyes boost.

Probably my favorite active manga (not counting hxh & berserk). Even if you know the history behind it it's great chapters week after week.

Yeah, i couldn't resist and spoiled myself by reading the history since its so easy available and yet i'm still having a great time. Also helps that historically there's some things that are like 1 or 2 lines of text in the shiji and then he expands it into cool scenarios and strategies that fill that void, so thats fun to see.

But man i wish there was some stuff i could forget because theres some wild/shocking things in the future.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
In that case, has the info just not reached the Justice Bureau yet? Because they still have Fugetsu and "Kacho" in custody.

Yeah, the lack of Nen puts them at a huge disadvantage.

I might be wrong but I thought the fact that the bodies of the princes are on "Ice" so to speak, wasn't public knowledge.

I wonder if they actually did know how to use Nen because after all Killua didn't know while the rest of his family, even his younger brother knew about Nen. They even knew to tell Killua don't go past the 200th floor because he would run into Nen users.

So the fact that Kurapika didn't know about Nen doesn't mean no one else in the Kurta clan did. It just means that no one who knew, told him about it.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I might be wrong but I thought the fact that the bodies of the princes are on "Ice" so to speak, wasn't public knowledge.
Oh, that whole secret chamber thing for sure. But more their deaths in general. It's this bit from Zhang Lei that's possibly the issue.

vxEv0Um.png

Obviously makes sense he would know Momoze is dead, and he could have easily surmised Salé-salé's death (like Tubeppa did). But how would he know about Kacho?

I wonder if they actually did know how to use Nen because after all Killua didn't know while the rest of his family, even his younger brother knew about Nen. They even knew to tell Killua don't go past the 200th floor because he would run into Nen users.

So the fact that Kurapika didn't know about Nen doesn't mean no one else in the Kurta clan did. It just means that no one who knew, told him about it.
Yeah, given that the Troupe alone dealt with them, that's why I think none of them were Nen users. Or they were just novice ones.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Togashi will go full Uchiha clan with the Kurta and they were actually the real issue and the Phantom Troupe taking them out was needed.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Oh, that whole secret chamber thing for sure. But more their deaths in general. It's this bit from Zhang Lei that's possibly the issue.

vxEv0Um.png

Obviously makes sense he would know Momoze is dead, and he could have easily surmised Salé-salé's death (like Tubeppa did). But how would he know about Kacho?

Yeah, given that the Troupe alone dealt with them, that's why I think none of them were Nen users. Or they were just novice ones.

We don't know what Zhang's nen beast does right? Perhaps it gives him some form of omnipresence or a way of him knowing things he shouldn't.

Fair point on the Troupe but its made clear time and again that fighting just one Troupe member is a herculean level task, so all 13 at the same time and the potential element of a surprise attack would go a long way to explain why they were all defeated.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
We don't know what Zhang's nen beast does right? Perhaps it gives him some form of omnipresence or a way of him knowing things he shouldn't.
I guess it's possible there's something else to it, but we got:

lbaJHz9.png

At this point, the only GSBs we still don't know about are Benjamin's and Woble's (and the King's, I guess; unless that's directly related to not allowing people to escape the ship--all the hands and whatnot).

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, and as cool as it would be, Stealth Dolphin would be a little too complicated to implement.

Nov 11, 2017
So I started the anime last week and now I'm on the chimera arc now and I'm pretty sure this is the most fucked up I've seen in anime that I have watched.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
York New is still my favorite in terms of fucked up / mass murdering because of the auction massacre, it came out of nowhere.

Chimera arc goes further but i think it didn't shook me as much, i kinda expected at that point.

Except the Kite death, that shit came out of nowhere in the manga. It was a WTF moment.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

I think this entire arc is my favourite of the series. An outstanding cast of antagonists and nothing quite ends up playing out how you imagine. Really great sequence leading up to here. The Hunter Exam was ok, time off at home and the Zoldyck's fine, Heaven's Arena good. Then this hits. Absolutely wonderful. Superbly maintained sense of tension throughout. Doesn't get bettered until the closing throes of the Chimera Any arc.

Oct 25, 2017
York New is still my favorite in terms of fucked up / mass murdering because of the auction massacre, it came out of nowhere.

Chimera arc goes further but i think it didn't shook me as much, i kinda expected at that point.

Except the Kite death, that shit came out of nowhere in the manga. It was a WTF moment.
Pokkle's death
Will always be peak fucked up for me. Also the design for the murder horse.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Pokkle's death
Will always be peak fucked up for me. Also the design for the murder horse.

I knew it in my heart that
Pokkle and Ponzu were screwed the moment they set foot in NGL, Togashi was especially brutal with Ponzu though. Also Pokkle in the manga was killed by the pig chimera by cutting him into pieces, even brutal than the anime.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it in my heart that
Pokkle and Ponzu were screwed the moment they set foot in NGL, Togashi was especially brutal with Ponzu though. Also Pokkle in the manga was killed by the pig chimera by cutting him into pieces, even brutal than the anime.
As far as I was concerned Pokkle was essentially dead after he got experimented on. Whatever was killed after that was just non brain functioning meat. Ponzu got done in quickly, Pokkle on the other hand just straight suffered.

Nov 11, 2017
What have you witnessed so far? This arc goes places.
I'm on episode 127 right now and when I made the post that was right after Ponzu got a clip unloaded in her and eaten. Kite's death ain't shock me too much cause as soon as he lost his arm I knew it was a wrap for him. Pokkle's death was pretty fucked up as well. What really got me was the fucking baby. Like wtf kind of drugs were they on when they came up with that.
Basically my feelings on this arc.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
About (halfway?) through the available anime, so I felt like dipping my toe into the thread for the first time.

Currently on the dodgeball scene (even better than the once-promised arm wrestling tournament) of the Greed Island Arc. Going into Greed Island, I was really excited by the card collection-MMO concept but it's been terribly dull so far and the only instance where the pacing has totally fallen off. It had so much potential, but it's just felt like a stalemated endgame of Catan with a lot of uneccesary explanations of mechanics that have no bearing on the rest of the world.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on episode 127 right now and when I made the post that was right after Ponzu got a clip unloaded in her and eaten. Kite's death ain't shock me too much cause as soon as he lost his arm I knew it was a wrap for him. Pokkle's death was pretty fucked up as well. What really got me was the fucking baby. Like wtf kind of drugs were they on when they came up with that.

And this arc gets weirder. The dub recently ran a hyper weird, but fun ep about 2 weeks ago.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017

Sadly the anime fucks up
Kite
progression and impact in the story. They should have followed the manga, thats the only fault i have with the anime.

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
About (halfway?) through the available anime, so I felt like dipping my toe into the thread for the first time.

Currently on the dodgeball scene (even better than the once-promised arm wrestling tournament) of the Greed Island Arc. Going into Greed Island, I was really excited by the card collection-MMO concept but it's been terribly dull so far and the only instance where the pacing has totally fallen off. It had so much potential, but it's just felt like a stalemated endgame of Catan with a lot of uneccesary explanations of mechanics that have no bearing on the rest of the world.
In a few episodes you'll read this post and long for these times

Except masadora, fuck masadora

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
We need Razor AKA Dragon of Dojima
back for DC, let the man continue his death sentence there. There can be literally no bigger punishment available, and we deserve to see a rampaging Razor..

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't Razor just get Kaiju stomped over there?

Alone he could probably last some time if he keep it low like Netero team back in the day, just gotta avoid the op organisms. And if he was in either Team Beyond or Zodiac and a guy of Razor status got stomped then i would be praying deeply for Leorio and the rest of them lol

Also he could probably blow up a couple of limbs from some kaiju with his emitter attack, the problem is the other big creatures and the sheer number of them. You just can't win in DC just survive, gotta lay low. But man a rampaging Razor would go out with a bang.

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Shared this about a week ago on reddit, and got some good feedback. But let me know about any typos, missing info that should be included, suggestions for a better layout, etc.

I think this is a lot more digestible than that lengthy google doc I put together. :p