• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
There's a compilation image from 4chan on why Gon-san isn't an asspull, but it's a little too cluttered. So I think I'm gonna put one together (also including the important bits on Gon's resolve/potential).

As good a time as any since the dub is almost at 131.

Oct 29, 2017
People who think Gon's transformation was an asspull probably just weren't paying attention. The concepts and associated risks are explained really clearly in the Yorknew arc, and then reiterated with Gon, Killua, and Pitou's comments.

No fix for speed reading.

Incidentally, How many parts do you guys think Clash is gonna be? Togashi usually only goes for two part chapters but i can't imagine the mafia stuff on the 3rd tier coming to a resolution next chapter.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Incidentally, How many parts do you guys think Clash is gonna be? Togashi usually only goes for two part chapters but i can't imagine the mafia stuff on the 3rd tier coming to a resolution next chapter.
He's gone for more than two parts many times, but not in a while (it looks like the last time was the first chapters of the Palace Invasion in 5 parts).

I wouldn't mind 5+. Hinrigh hunting Morena on Tier 3, and the Troupe possibly encountering Luini.

If anything, I want some Troupe focus.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
With some luck we get an announcement on March for the April comeback.

Since Togashi likes to subvert expectation i gonna expect a 2 year hiatus this time :P *knock on wood* Please no

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Togashi's comments with the last chapter release have me hopeful we'll get the next batch sooner than later.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I bet Gyro is already on his way to have the full control of Meteor City by this point. And since PT ain't coming back theres no one to stop him.

Nah, i feet it was just a troll at this point

Nah, Togashi have spend enough time and character development in Gyro, he's coming back unless he rushes things and cuts the story short.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
He won't rush it, it's just like Gyro was the one true troll togashi ever made so i kinda hope he stays full troll in that, even if gyro is to appear it'll take at least 6 years for that to happen anyway

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Still sifting for Gon panels. I think once I have most of them put together, it'll paint a pretty compelling picture. Stuff like this is very telling.

GkoCjgu.png

KHqcED0.png

Here's the panel, btw:

xjr2AGa.png

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Still sifting for Gon panels. I think once I have most of them put together, it'll paint a pretty compelling picture. Stuff like this is very telling.

Thanks for that panel and also thanks to everyone else who answered my query. I've really only watched the anime version of the Chimera Ant arc so was a bit lost there.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

GkoCjgu.png

KHqcED0.png

Here's the panel, btw:

xjr2AGa.png
That reminds me, i was watching 1999 anime and i realized gon started seeking for power pretty early on in the series, since i never cared much for the boy i overlooked a lot, but the whole badge test of the hunter exam is basically him seeing how far away in the power scale is hisoka and how weak he really is and that lead him to almost kill himself in that whole ponzu episode, idk if the manga added content from te anime but until then he felt he only progressed in the exam because of the help from his friends so he didn't earn anything and that's... not quite the truth as he had already helped them more than enough to earn that...

Rewatching that version is making me appreciate gon way more, idk if it's because I'm older now or cause I've exausted my analisyses of killua, but that kid really had a harsh time even before CA D:

Also that second panel you posted was selfish af good grief

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what's kind of beautiful about the second excerpt is that you could argue it's not selfish. Generally, Killua is better when he's cautious and thinks things through, and Gon is (usually) better when he's not doing those things, lol. You could argue that Gon 'knows' this dynamic intuitively, I mean in that scene he basically blurts out the whole dynamic of their friendship lol.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Then you watch this dynamic evolve to the point their friendship became kind of toxic and you hug your knees and start to cry :( gon can't give the guy a break yeesh

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
It's true, but I guess adolescence is always hard. It's sort of the perfect time for Gon and Killua to split up.
Killua never really had the time to be on his own and figure out what he wants to do and how he wants to live, between being in an overly sheltered household then tossed right at a relationship where he was completely dependent of the other part and said person was also very demanding, it's not just adolescence, he never got to be actually free until recently :/

Im betting he'll come back pretty different from the killua we know, and for the best xD

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killua never really had the time to be on his own and figure out what he wants to do and how he wants to live, between being in an overly sheltered household then tossed right at a relationship where he was completely dependent of the other part and said person was also very demanding, it's not just adolescence, he never got to be actually free until recently :/

Im betting he'll come back pretty different from the killua we know, and for the best xD

I think Killua was probably seeking some kind of emotional dependency, and at the time I don't think that was a bad thing. Or rather, given his upbringing, I think it makes a lot of sense that he'd invest a lot of trust, and find his first real friend in, a person that's arguably pathologically guileless. Basically, I don't think it's that uneven, though the spectacular blow up was felt more on Killua's side. When their relationship worked, it seemed that it was because they'd constantly switch up the parent/child dynamic, urging the other to grow, and in the end it all seemed to shake out even. Gon kept Killua's trust by not really giving him any reason to doubt him, until he did...

I didn't mean the adolescence thing to be so ruthlessly simplistic, I just meant that a lot of this stuff finds some kind of analogy in the stuff kids go through during adolescence. At that age you've usually internalized a sense of competence, and you're just starting to critically think over the values you were taught when you were younger, to figure out what you really believe. I think they're both going to come back more 'complete' or less lopsided people. That's to say that with their naiveté about the friendship gone, they can't think that their two halves will make up a complete person anymore, that's on each of them.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Three Narutos from Volume 15 (first is by Inoue, third by Togashi, and the middle one by the author whose name I still can't make out).

And then I put together those two halves (I guess I could've edited out that cellphone, too).

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I think Killua was probably seeking some kind of emotional dependency, and at the time I don't think that was a bad thing. Or rather, given his upbringing, I think it makes a lot of sense that he'd invest a lot of trust, and find his first real friend in, a person that's arguably pathologically guileless. Basically, I don't think it's that uneven, though the spectacular blow up was felt more on Killua's side. When their relationship worked, it seemed that it was because they'd constantly switch up the parent/child dynamic, urging the other to grow, and in the end it all seemed to shake out even. Gon kept Killua's trust by not really giving him any reason to doubt him, until he did...

I didn't mean the adolescence thing to be so ruthlessly simplistic, I just meant that a lot of this stuff finds some kind of analogy in the stuff kids go through during adolescence. At that age you've usually internalized a sense of competence, and you're just starting to critically think over the values you were taught when you were younger, to figure out what you really believe. I think they're both going to come back more 'complete' or less lopsided people. That's to say that with their naiveté about the friendship gone, they can't think that their two halves will make up a complete person anymore, that's on each of them.
That's fair enough, i mean, a lot of killua's suffering during the CA arc came from him not having what it took to help gon during his bad times, dude never had people relying on him in that way so he felt powerless when he realised he didn't know what to do... Killua grew a lot bt staying with gon, it was a relationship miles healthier than him with his family, but i think the beauty of all that is that we can tell exactly the moment that relationship starts to turn bad... (i use the dodgeball game as a starting point)honestly I love how HxH takes its time and brings up al those nuances cause that's much deeper than whatever we get in the average shounen... it's not just a matter of character development of each one of the boys, how they interact with each other sorta shapes what they've become

Three Narutos from Volume 15 (first is by Inoue, third by Togashi, and the middle one by the author whose name I still can't make out).

And then I put together those two halves (I guess I could've edited out that cellphone, too).
Oh boy that edit reminds me of some jump force scenes with the player's avatar looking like Chrollo

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
It's kinda funny that one of our boys, Killua, despite being away is more connected to DC through Nanika than every single person on that boat. You don't just reveal Nanika as one of the Five Calamities that everyone is scared shitless of and do nothing with it.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Togashi's author comment in 1998 for chapter 4:

"Oh! I haven't played video games this year, but now that I am in such a good environment, I feel quite good…"

The very next chapter.

"Sorry. I can't help but play the beginning of Resident Evil 2. Smiling at those cruel scenes...am I a little scary?"

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yo. Didn't take too long to sift through 300+ chapters. :P

Gon is definitely an interesting character. A boy trying to make his way through, and make sense of, an aggressive adult world. First image is looking at Gon's nature and potential; the second some of the more important/relevant panels on Nen and restrictions.
*looks at first image*
Oh this is so wholesome I'm getting good memorie...wait, gon, no gon don't do this, gon stop, please, noo, NOOOOOO

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So the Jojo Part 5 anime just got to King Crimson and it just reminds me of the fact T. Sandwich has a rather similar ability though arguably his might be even crazier.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
im watching promised neverland atm and omfg, everytime ray opens his mouth all I can think is this kid is clearly some assassin in his past life.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Neverland is awesome, i'm watching it now as well @-@ they got me with Emma, she's precious