• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Hunter X Hunter and JJBA seems to be the only battle animes I've truly enjoyed. But even I find JJBA to be inconsistent.

Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tail, FMA and MHA does nothing for me. I guess the early parts of Naruto were enjoyable, same with MHA.

Being hard to please sucks.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
With SnS having 3 more chapters left, there's an open spot now, Togashi.

nod nod
cough cough
wink wink

Apr 24, 2018
With SnS having 3 more chapters left, there's an open spot now, Togashi.

nod nod
cough cough
wink wink
Oh wow. Shokugeki no Soma is ending so soon? I've only seen the anime, but wouldn't have guessed the end of the third season would (presumably) be near the end of the manga. I thought it would have been something that ran quite a bit longer.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Oh wow. Shokugeki no Soma is ending so soon? I've only seen the anime, but wouldn't have guessed the end of the third season would (presumably) be near the end of the manga. I thought it would have been something that ran quite a bit longer.
Yeah, combination of terrible reception for the current arc and declining volume sales. It may finish up in another magazine, but we're not sure about that yet.

MsDoR0t.png

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
HxH fighitng still doesn't top Naruto goodness for me. Well it has the advatage that the fights aren't as dragged out with exposition and padding.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Chrollo vs Silva and Zeno was good as well. I honestly wish the Zoldycks got more fights. Killua vs Nen Fish Darts is legit great, not to mention Morel vs Leol. Some people just don't like the mind game aspects behind the fights.

Mindgame stuff is naruto. I liked Chrollo vs Silva & Zeno but not because it reminded me of a Naruto fight. There are "naruto moments" for sure but not too much in terms of lengthy fights along those lines. The dart one was naruto-y though I forgot about that.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, if you look through the series, you realize just how few (traditional) fights there are.

A combination of the more tactics/analysis approach, and Togashi probably not wanting to draw a lot of fights tbh lol.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if you look through the series, you realize just how few (traditional) fights there are.

A combination of the more tactics/analysis approach, and Togashi probably not wanting to draw a lot of fights tbh lol.

Could it be the latter? I would have never guessed. Though I did notice that there aren't many fights, but I chalked that up to his narrative style. I guess I don't watch that much anime but it felt pretty unique. It's like he takes moments that would traditionally just be a fight, and then tries to come up with any possible way to make it not a standard fight. It's like I wanted a normal fight at these moments, but I also appreciate his different approach.

Oct 25, 2017
Could it be the latter? I would have never guessed. Though I did notice that there aren't many fights, but I chalked that up to his narrative style. I guess I don't watch that much anime but it felt pretty unique. It's like he takes moments that would traditionally just be a fight, and then tries to come up with any possible way to make it not a standard fight. It's like I wanted a normal fight at these moments, but I also appreciate his different approach.
It not being normal shonen is what makes it unique. Like how Gon vs Meruem would've been what anybody else would've done, but you get Netero vs Meruem and Gon never even meets the King and you just have Gon dismantling Pitou as his suicide mission.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
It not being normal shonen is what makes it unique. Like how Gon vs Meruem would've been what anybody else would've done, but you get Netero vs Meruem and Gon never even meets the King and you just have Gon dismantling Pitou as his suicide mission.

There are moments like those that are just big obvious subversions, but other little stuff he does with the characters and the narrative almost makes me look at other shows differently. It makes me think.... all this fighting... what is it really for?
XUATYwB.png

Oct 25, 2017
There are moments like those that are just big obvious subversions, but other little stuff he does with the characters and the narrative almost makes me look at other shows differently. It makes me think.... all this fighting... what is it really for?
XUATYwB.png
Yeah people usually do some thinking before they throw down. Best example is when the Phantom Troupe run into Razor on Greed Island are instead of just fighting him they take a sec, size him up and just talk to him.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Phantom troupe being so damn likeable is also a treat, i never watched a series where i could feel so much for the "bad guys" before... it was like some doors opened inside my head then.

Also I love how he snuck in an arc with a wild car chase and politics within all that madness... the zoldycks are so fun, damn.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Phantom troupe being so damn likeable is also a treat, i never watched a series where i could feel so much for the "bad guys" before... it was like some doors opened inside my head then.

Also I love how he snuck in an arc with a wild car chase and politics within all that madness... the zoldycks are so fun, damn.

Oh my god dude Naruto was the main thing that made me think "wouldn't it be cool if we had a cool bad guy group of people that actually liked eachother and were legit bros" and HxH delievered. More than just naruto though, I feel like most bad guy groups I had seen always had them being so at odds with each other, or distant.

On the other hand, you have the MCU avengers which feel like they're *that* bad guy group in terms of their relationships, yet they still have the same goal so they have to work together lol.

The Avengers are the Akatsuki of the MCU.

Oct 25, 2017

You have top tier villain groups like the Phantom Troupe and Execution Squad and then somewhere at the bottom you have the Akatsuki. The fights are fun, but that's about it.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Attacking a 12 year old boy is pretty bold, lady.

Especially since he can twist steel boxes, turn his fingernails into claws and create afterimages of himself.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that's what makes the 1999 version good. It's not just the artstyle. If you're bothered with what is or isn't canon then you won't enjoy it. But as a person just watching it for the first time, I loved all these extra details. (Of course I figured out what was extra by watching the 2011) This to me is how you do filler, not useless padding or completely unrelated side stories.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that's what makes the 1999 version good. It's not just the artstyle. If you're bothered with what is or isn't canon then you won't enjoy it. But as a person just watching it for the first time, I loved all these extra details. (Of course I figured out what was extra by watching the 2011) This to me is how you do filler, not useless padding or completely unrelated side stories.
some of 99 filler makes a lot of sense and adds to the characters... my problem is changing how mito is related to ging, killing gon's mom, and stuff that'll have to be retconned later :/

Oct 25, 2017
I saw 2011 first. All of the stuff that I already knew weren't a thing just clashed with me and I couldn't really enjoy all of it, couldn't even finish it. Didn't help that I finished 2011 and probably next week tried to watch 99 and my brain just wasn't having it.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
So question to my boys in this thread: Who did thought this series was light hearted adventure and was surprise by how dark it got later?

Because i understand that some people though that and were surprised but in my experience i always though it was dark from the beginning, and the clues were there that it was gonna get worse.

I guess probably has something to do too with me going 99' series -> manga, while some people entry point is the 2011 which starts more "light" i guess.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought it was dark, but going from 99 anime to CA manga scarred me for life... I started that saga at 12 years old and wasn't prepared for it at all, pretty much like Kokonoe did, but not as intensely.

Something about people geting eating, carnage and genocide comig right after the cheery faux-isekai saga i guess xD

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
So question to my boys in this thread: Who did thought this series was light hearted adventure and was surprise by how dark it got later?

Because i understand that some people though that and were surprised but in my experience i always though it was dark from the beginning, and the clues were there that it was gonna get worse.

I guess probably has something to do too with me going 99' series -> manga, while some people entry point is the 2011 which starts more "light" i guess.

I thought it was, until I reached Episode 11 :X

But then things calmed down a bit... And then Episode 20 came!

Hunter x Hunter is a rollercoaster of emotions.

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it was dark, but going from 99 anime to CA manga scarred me for life... I started that saga at 12 years old and wasn't prepared for it at all, pretty much like Kokonoe did, but not as intensely.

Something about people geting eating, carnage and genocide comig right after the cheery faux-isekai saga i guess xD

I read the CA in when i was 20 years old so my reaction was more like "oh shit Togashi is going in, ok ok ok let's see how this goes".

I thought it was, until I reached Episode 11 :X

But then things calmed down a bit... And then Episode 20 came!

Hunter x Hunter is a rollercoaster of emotions.

Killua heart rip, just savage. He and Hisoka have the most "i will murder the fuck out you" actions in the Hunter Exam Arc.

Thinking about it, Heavens Arena is probably the most tame arc in HxH.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a long time since I seen '99 series, but going from Gon's outdoors exams adventure to an arc involving mafia that mostly takes place at night was... not really what I expected! The exam already had people dying tho, so I also didn't exactly place it as a happy kids adventure before that.

Also went from '99 OVAs to manga. I already read a description about the CA arc somewhere that half-humans were eating other humans, so that kinda put it in my mind that the latest arc was some different shit. Then when I finally read it, the uncensored manga violence (or in the case of the tree-top scene, everything covered by black bars which just made it seem even more fucked up) and old characters abruptly being brought back only to be killed off was quite a shock. I did feel it was on a different level than before.

Funny how I usually forget about that Puhat scene. I know the mass-explosion scene is really messed up too (especially in the manga), but that Puhat part really stands out in an arc that's otherwise relatively chill with the (onscreen) violence.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how I usually forget about that Puhat scene. I know the mass-explosion scene is really messed up too (especially in the manga), but that Puhat part really stands out in an arc that's otherwise relatively chill with the (onscreen) violence.

Yeah the Puhat scene is messed up, that 7-Ten bag.

i6iUsGq.jpg

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
Since scary Hisoka faces were being posted....the scariest one to me was when he's trying to decide whether or not kill Alluka to make an enemy out of Killua or kill Killua to make an enemy out of Illumi. In the anime, I didn't feel like it captured the same creepy vibe that the manga panel had.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Since scary Hisoka faces were being posted....the scariest one to me was when he's trying to decide whether or not kill Alluka to make an enemy out of Killua or kill Killua to make an enemy out of Illumi. In the anime, I didn't feel like it captured the same creepy vibe that the manga panel had.

Pics or it didn't happen

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much had an idea this wasn't for kids when I saw Uvogin bite off half of a head. I was fine until Chimera Ant Arc recharged the "shit be fucked" batteries with Ponzu and with Pokkle getting one seriously fucked up death. Like seriously, that shit is fucked.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah the 99 series has a drastically different tone than the 2011 series at the beginning.