• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Togashi getting my tight with his unwillingness to hand over main artiest duties. Kishimoto got 2 of goons doing series for him. Somethings gotta give or it's never gonna end. Bleh. I really thought this year would be a step forward, not back.
You thought it would be a step forward, even though he's only getting older? :P

I knew people would raise their expectations after the number of chapters last year, but this is completely normal for him.

2008: 20 chapters
2009: 0 chapters

2011-2012: 30 chapters
2013: 0 chapters

But obviously I'm in total agreement that he needs to team up with an artist. Though I'm not sure if the Kishimoto works are the best examples to use (in terms of sales/reception for the former, and reception for the latter).

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You thought it would be a step forward, even though he's only getting older? :P

I knew people would raise their expectations after the number of chapters last year, but this is completely normal for him.

2008: 20 chapters
2009: 0 chapters

2011-2012: 30 chapters
2013: 0 chapters

But obviously I'm in total agreement that he needs to team up with an artist. Though I'm not sure if the Kishimoto works are the best examples to use (in terms of sales/reception for the former, and reception for the latter).
Well it was in addition to that interview where he acknowledged that he knew fans where worried about it ever completing. I'm just saying, Kishi has two different artist handling two of his books, more of a lead by example.... example.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Well it was in addition to that interview where he acknowledged that he knew fans where worried about it ever completing. I'm just saying, Kishi has two different artist handling two of his books, more of a lead by example.... example.
Sure, but both of those are new series. Not a series Kishimoto's been working on for 20+ years.

And in that same interview he said: "But I felt there were two types of readers―the ones who wouldn't mind if someone else illustrated my stories, and the ones who want to read a manga that I've written and illustrated. I'm still not sure how to balance that issue to please the most people."

But yeah, at this point, not really much time to be worrying about that.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Is Gon's Story pretty much over?
It'd be strange but I honestly wouldn't mind. Togashi has done the work to make a switch over to Kurapika and/or Killua as protagonists/deuteragonists feel 100% earned since they're very rich characters that surpass even Gon in some ways and definitely even more so than the protagonists in a multitude of other series. Hell I have enough trust that I wouldn't bat an eye if he made Theta the protagonist for future arcs.

I am though in love with the idea of Gon still pushing forward as series protagonist through sheer force of will lol The idea of him challenging the Dark Continent totally nenless is something I'd hoped for early on in the arc actually.

Sids note: I was going through the election arc again and had to ask has it ever been established wtf Beans is? Somehow in a cast full of weird character designs, he ends up being the weirdest. Is he human but modified like the Zodiacs? Is he like a talking monster in the same vein as the chimera ants or the fox-like brings from the Exam arc?

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Before Hisoka went kill crazy for the Phantom Troupe I was actually kind of hoping he'd meet up with Gon help him learn Nen again and train him into a monster. All of course so he can fight him at peak condition but still.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fan theory that Gon's primary nen type has changed because of the trauma of the Gon-san thing is pretty interesting to me. Given that he apparently cares more about studying now, it seems appropriate that if or when he comes back to the story he'd effectively be a different character in a few ways.

Oct 25, 2017
The fan theory that Gon's primary nen type has changed because of the trauma of the Gon-san thing is pretty interesting to me. Given that he apparently cares more about studying now, it seems appropriate that if or when he comes back to the story he'd effectively be a different character in a few ways.
He'll just be an emitter with a Star Platinum Nen Beast.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Sids note: I was going through the election arc again and had to ask has it ever been established wtf Beans is? Somehow in a cast full of weird character designs, he ends up being the weirdest. Is he human but modified like the Zodiacs? Is he like a talking monster in the same vein as the chimera ants or the fox-like brings from the Exam arc?

Bean is an intelligent magical beast. We don't know what or where or any real details but yeah he's along the lines of the Chimera Ants.

SunnyD

Dec 3, 2017
It'd be strange but I honestly wouldn't mind. Togashi has done the work to make a switch over to Kurapika and/or Killua as protagonists/deuteragonists feel 100% earned since they're very rich characters that surpass even Gon in some ways and definitely even more so than the protagonists in a multitude of other series. Hell I have enough trust that I wouldn't bat an eye if he made Theta the protagonist for future arcs.

I am though in love with the idea of Gon still pushing forward as series protagonist through sheer force of will lol The idea of him challenging the Dark Continent totally nenless is something I'd hoped for early on in the arc actually.

Theta definitely feels like she's shaping up to be the deuteragonist of this new arc or at least a significant role of some capacity. She's been one of the best parts of the arc and evidence that Togashi really is a masterful character writer.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Theta is getting turned into a lamp for T. Sandwich's nightstand. Or she becomes another Nen beast of his.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Togashi getting my tight with his unwillingness to hand over main artiest duties. Kishimoto got 2 of goons doing series for him. Somethings gotta give or it's never gonna end. Bleh. I really thought this year would be a step forward, not back.

Get the Berserk author to draw, release one chapter a year outside of Jump for 20000 yen a pop.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I do wonder how much time he spent on that page from 382 (and how much assistants contributed).

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Man the idea of nenless Gon facing the Dark Continent is the most hilariously extreme example of a HURDLE I can think of. I can't imagine it wouldn't somehow vastly cheapen the threat that was hyped up about the DC

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Gon gonna have a nice career as a host entertaining lady tourists at Whale Island, i'm with him screw this studing. With headgear too lol.

Last edited:

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

0em5kjdi1aq31.png

aye

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Bean is an intelligent magical beast. We don't know what or where or any real details but yeah he's along the lines of the Chimera Ants.
Makes a lot of sense lol I'm actually interested in seeing more intelligent beasts entering the series. They seem so rare when is really seems that the frequency should be similar to how anthro animals appear in Dragon Ball where they're pretty much fully integrated in society.

Theta definitely feels like she's shaping up to be the deuteragonist of this new arc or at least a significant role of some capacity. She's been one of the best parts of the arc and evidence that Togashi really is a masterful character writer.
Yeah I really wouldn't mind Theta taking a starring role. Now I'm dreaming of Theta, Bill & Kurapika teaming up to have a climactic battle with Terrorsandwich by arc's end.

Oct 25, 2017
Togashi at the end of 2018: Don't worry, I have the next 10 chapters story-boarded out.
Fans: Nice! So it will be soon.
*10 months later*
Fans: ... Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff-

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Togashi at the end of 2018: Don't worry, I have the next 10 chapters story-boarded out.
Fans: Nice! So it will be soon.
*10 months later*
Fans: ... Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff-
The only thing I can think is that, because he'll reach chapter 400 with that next set, he decided to go for 20 in a row (391-410) starting early next year, so that he doesn't reach 400 and then go right back on break.

He did the same thing when he reached chapter 300, where he went straight through 291-310 (which included both Netero vs. Meruem and Gon vs. Pitou).

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
First chapter after Togashi comes back:

Theta is killed!!!

Togashi: Are you happy now? Next time you call me back im killing Melody!!!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Theta is a goner so I wouldn't even be surprised. Hell the fact she's lasted so long with Tyrannosaurus Nick is impressive in of itself considering what he does to women for a hobby.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for Kurapika to find out the Phantom Troupe are on board and be like,"Fuck this bodyguard thing. I gotta burn a few decades kicking some ass"

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be scared for Kurapika, even with the massive advantage he'd have over Illumi's spider status [unless he pulled some Hisoka shit/being fake spider] in which case Illumi zombifies Kurapika in seconds.
I would honestly think that the nen pact has to only effect the Troupe that attacked his village. Maybe it works on Kalluto? I honestly just see Illumi as some sort of fucking hired gun to be honest. He's a Troupe member, but he's not about dat Troupe life. I honestly don't think many characters want to fight Illumi. He don't strike me as broke tier, but he's still all types of dangerous.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
I would honestly think that the nen pact has to only effect the Troupe that attacked his village. Maybe it works on Kalluto? I honestly just see Illumi as some sort of fucking hired gun to be honest. He's a Troupe member, but he's not about dat Troupe life. I honestly don't think many characters want to fight Illumi. He don't strike me as broke tier, but he's still all types of dangerous.

I fuckin guarantee that Illumi is there because Hisoka blackmailed him, that he'd hunt down Alluka if he didn't fight him or something like that. Just wouldn't make much sense with Illumi's characterization otherwise, like why would Illumi even care about what Hisoka wants? It helps that Hisoka is one of the only non-Zoldyck/Butler characters that know about Nanika. It helps that Mizai implied the Zoldycks are up to something, some ulterior motive... even Machi has got that "Yeah, you're definitely up to something look"