• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
So I'm surprised I liked the greed island arc as much as I did.

But man, I really am not feeling the chimera ant stuff at all. Doing the whole "Gon and Killua go to a place and are super under leveled" again after greed island and the training with bisci feels frustrating considering the queen is literally just shitting these "ants" out

Also not thrilled by the idea all the ants are basically just "amnesiac" humans learning what it means to be human.

This arc has kinda been turning me off the show.
CA is definitely a love it or hate it for some.

Oct 25, 2017
CA is definitely a love it or hate it for some.

There is also the fact this arc is as long as all the previous arcs before it combined episode wise.

Yeah, I'm really not feeling this arc. Where as I binged through GI because I was enjoying it so much, I feel CA is a crawl. Also because of how hard they are foreshadowing the idea that "the ant's are learning how to be human" I feel like I already understand the gist of this arc and I am kinda eh on it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There is also the fact this arc is as long as all the previous arcs before it combined episode wise.

Yeah, I'm really not feeling this arc. Where as I binged through GI because I was enjoying it so much, I feel CA is a crawl. Also because of how hard they are foreshadowing the idea that "the ant's are learning how to be human" I feel like I already understand the gist of this arc and I am kinda eh on it.

I'm gonna say if that's your read so far then you should keep watching as that's only one small facet of the CA arc.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I was too shocked and tired when i first read CA but nowadays i think this arc was really something else

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just got asked what my Nen type is at a bar by someone from this very thread. Schwing

Edit: now an arguement about Nen

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I'm guessing the bartender looked like this.

BO5778R.png

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching this vid.

And I didn't know that Togashi said
Kurapika and the Phantom Troupe will all die
back in 2013. It makes sense considering where things are going but yeah. I didn't know he was that blunt about it though lol.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think that the Chimera ants were merely 'learning to be human' so much as they were creatures realizing consciousness that was at the same time human and inhuman. Any form of humanity they attained could never be like a human as a human. They're like a bizarre entanglement of human and alien. I think this is pointedly asserted in an ironic reversal in the ultimate resolution with Netero and the King, as it touches on the violence of alienation within the notion of what a human really is. Like the ants are more human than humans, but at the same time they're alien. It's like a broken mirror.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think that the Chimera ants were merely 'learning to be human' so much as they were creatures realizing consciousness that was at the same time human and inhuman. Any form of humanity they attained could never be like a human as a human. They're like a bizarre entanglement of human and alien. I think this is pointedly asserted in an ironic reversal in the ultimate resolution with Netero and the King, as it touches on the violence of alienation within the notion of what a human really is. Like the ants are more human than humans, but at the same time they're alien. It's like a broken mirror.
Can definitely see the heavy Parasyte influence.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite little moments in HxH is when Gon keeps getting smacked by Canary, and Leorio (and I think Kurapika, but prolly more so Leorio) was getting super pissed ready to fight at the 10th time Gon was knocked back on the ground, then Gon grabs Leo's arm and just looks him in the eye and shakes his head. I feel like at that moment Leorio (and Kura if he wasn't aware before) really starts to understand Gon to a deeper level.

I feel like Gon and Leorio (probably more so Gon) are such strongly characterized people that it's like you put them in a certain situation, and it's like dropping a boulder off a cliff. It ain't stoppin. But then you have this moment where Leorio realizes that him loosing control would really just undermind Gon's satisfaction in that scenario, and for the rest of time that Canary is smacking him around, they're calm. Because they know this is literally the best course of action to please their friend. And even though it's a fucked up situation that Gon is in, they know it'd be more fucked up and unfair in Gon's eyes that he'd have to live with a situation where they did get in the way. It's like if you can't handle Gon, get out of the kitchen.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
One of my favorite little moments in HxH is when Gon keeps getting smacked by Canary, and Leorio (and I think Kurapika, but prolly more so Leorio) was getting super pissed ready to fight at the 10th time Gon was knocked back on the ground, then Gon grabs Leo's arm and just looks him in the eye and shakes his head. I feel like at that moment Leorio (and Kura if he wasn't aware before) really starts to understand Gon to a deeper level.

I feel like Gon and Leorio (probably more so Gon) are such strongly characterized people that it's like you put them in a certain situation, and it's like dropping a boulder off a cliff. It ain't stoppin. But then you have this moment where Leorio realizes that him loosing control would really just undermind Gon's satisfaction in that scenario, and for the rest of time that Canary is smacking him around, they're calm. Because they know this is literally the best course of action to please their friend. And even though it's a fucked up situation that Gon is in, they know it'd be more fucked up and unfair in Gon's eyes that he'd have to live with a situation where they did get in the way. It's like if you can't handle Gon, get out of the kitchen.
That scene has my favorite panel of Gon. Perfectly encapsulates his character.

v6DZjuV.png

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
You know I'd be cool if Togashi just started next year and kept going till the boat arc was over even if he went back to scribble drawings after a certain point.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I think of it I think the Gon shaking his head thing might only be a 1999 version thing, but either version gets across the same development of course. That head shake struck me though.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Finally picked up the last ones I needed. Damn you Viz for the logo changes. :p

iI86W5k.png

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
My god I keep looking up posts explaining Beyond Netero's situation and asked on a discord server but as soon as I think I'm getting it I read something else that throws it off.