• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
28gFuHl.png
Warning: This thread will contain discussion of both the anime and manga and will most likely have unmarked spoilers. Spoiler tags are encouraged for spoilers about unreleased chapters. If you are new to the series feel free to introduce yourself and share your thoughts as we are always welcome to newcomers. However, be warned that some story elements might be inadvertently spoiled for you by reading through this thread.

What is Hunter x Hunter?
Hunter x Hunter is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Yoshihiro Togashi. The manga was first serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump on March 3rd, 1998. In that time the manga has had 2 anime adaptations, one in 1999 and another in 2011. Since being published the Hunter x Hunter manga has also had several extended hiatuses which has caused the community to give the series an alternate title, Hiatus x Hiatus. Currently the manga has 360 chapters published across 34 volumes with another 10 chapters which have yet to be collected into a volume.

What is Hunter x Hunter About?
The series follows a young boy named Gon Freecss who was raised alone on Whale Island by his Aunt and told both of his parents were dead. One fateful day Gon was saved by a Hunter named Kite who told Gon that not only was his father alive, his father was one of the best Hunters in history. From that point on Gon was inspired to follow his father's footsteps in order to one day become a Hunter just like him. Along the way Gon meets a colorful (literally) cast of characters ranging from the son of a family of assassins to a maniacal clown something something rubber AND gum.

Volume Cover Gallery

When Can I Expect the Next Manga Chapter?
Hunter x Hunter is currently being published weekly!.

Where Can I Read it?
I know it is easy to read the manga for free, but please consider supporting the series by buying the volumes and subscribing to Weekly Shōnen Jump.

Other Information

Any recommendations about changes or additions to the OT would be gladly appreciated

Thank you Jigolo from the old forum for inspiring the design of the new OT, and credit to edo_kid for the cover art!

Last edited:

GetSmoked

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up to the newest chapters. Now its back to the unique despair of enduring a HxH haitus.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm on episode 120 and man this show is crazy good, but lately the narrator is getting on my nerves.

Also its hilarious when they close out a episode and they say its been 3 minutes since the mission began but its been so many episodes.
Went back and rewatched some fights on YT saw the 99 version and the aesthetic of the old show is something I prefer, sometimes things are too bright and colorful for the bleak shit going down lol.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Still need to catch up on the new chapters... Are they good? I wasn't sure where the hell Togashi was going with all the stuff that happened before the last hiatus.

OP
OP

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still need to catch up on the new chapters... Are they good? I wasn't sure where the hell Togashi was going with all the stuff that happened before the last hiatus.
I'd definitely say they're worth a read. They were a bit tough to read while they were releasing because it's a lot of text with a lot of new characters and plot points to follow, but they should be better to read all at once.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Chimera ant arc was awful. Lots of really really good stuff in it but overall awful. I came here to post this.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I am hoping Togashi does come back with new chapters before the end of the year. I expect 10 more chapters of the tension being ratcheted up higher and higher.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Chimera Ant arc is easily one of the greatest action shounen anime arcs of all time. It is nearly flawless. I didn't come here to post this, but I got mad and had to.

I need to read the manga, but I keep forgetting to catch up with all the hiatuses.

EDIT: My god I just looked at that hiatus chart. D:

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Chimera Ant arc is easily one of the greatest action shounen anime arcs of all time. It is nearly flawless. I didn't come here to post this, but I got mad and had to.

I need to read the manga, but I keep forgetting to catch up with all the hiatuses.

EDIT: My god I just looked at that hiatus chart. D:

You should read the manga simply for one of the best fights in the series which I'll leave at that.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I am hoping Togashi does come back with new chapters before the end of the year. I expect 10 more chapters of the tension being ratcheted up higher and higher.
Knowing his usual work patterns, he might do one more chapter this year just to keep his promise and go back on hiatus until next summer at the earliest. That, or the whole return this year was just a joke.

I honestly don't mind him taking long breaks if that's what it takes for the writing to remain as good as it's been, especially in the current arc.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing his usual work patterns, he might do one more chapter this year just to keep his promise and go back on hiatus until next summer at the earliest. That, or the whole return this year was just a joke.

I honestly don't mind him taking long breaks if that's what it takes for the writing to remain as good as it's been, especially in the current arc.

He's released some short term material in the interim and has definitely been a lot more active in general and positive at that.

OP
OP

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished adding the cover art gallery and added a "When to expect the next chapter" section. Any other changes or additions would be appreciate, like maybe a custom banner.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Never watched HxH, loved YYH, think I'm going to start HxH this weekend.

Beginning of ResetEra, chance to get involved with the HxH OT from the start.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just tell me if Gon is in the boat.

I hope there is a time skip whenever in the distant future we actually get back to Gon. I'd like to see a 17 or 18 year old Gon and Killua at their peaks wrecking fools. That and he needs to have that fated meeting with Gyro and you know, get his Nen back.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I hope there is a time skip whenever in the distant future we actually get back to Gon. I'd like to see a 17 or 18 year old Gon and Killua at their peaks wrecking fools. That and he needs to have that fated meeting with Gyro and you know, get his Nen back.
A whole arc without the protagonist would be pretty balsy. I guess that Togashi has a setup where it could happen. Though I'm still expecting Gon to be in the boat, as well as Ging, unless they never reach their destination, which is not likely.
How long is the trip supposed to be? I'm not sure if HxH lends itself to big time skips, feels more like something that kind of happens organicaly as the series progresses.. I guess we'll see.

I also, did Gon really lose is Nen? I was under the impression that when Nanika healed him, it also applied to his Nen.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
She healed Gon but its kind of unsure exactly what she did in terms of "healing" him as he can't use Nen afterwards. Ging also makes some vague comments about that fact after him and Gon finally meet.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
A whole arc without the protagonist would be pretty balsy. I guess that Togashi has a setup where it could happen. Though I'm still expecting Gon to be in the boat, as well as Ging, unless they never reach their destination, which is not likely.
How long is the trip supposed to be? I'm not sure if HxH lends itself to big time skips, feels more like something that kind of happens organicaly as the series progresses.. I guess we'll see.
I kinda hope we don't see Gon and Killua play a major role in the Dark Continent arc, or at least in the two initial expedition teams (Beyond's group and the Zodiacs). They've had three arcs dedicated entirely to them, time for Kurapika and Leorio to get their time in the spotlight.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope we don't see Gon and Killua play a major role in the Dark Continent arc, or at least in the two initial expedition teams (Beyond's group and the Zodiacs). They've had three arcs dedicated entirely to them, time for Kurapika and Leorio to get their time in the spotlight.

At this point I just hope we get more consistent chapter releases. Togashi pls just hire one/two assistants.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sup hunters.

I don't mind not seeing Gon or Killua this arc but I do mind not seeing Leorio. He should be up there with pika rn but it seems He's faded into the background again. I hope togashi has big things in-store.

No way Gon is on the boat.

Last edited:

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
We'll all die before it's over.
Togashi, hire me as an assistant, I can't draw for shit, but I'll can make your chores.

SnowGhost

Oct 27, 2017
the North
Hunter x Hunter? Yeah big fan. Been following that manga since my younger days. Fast forward to now, I've grown a beard and paying bills.

Ging still father of the year? No? Good.

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing news articles where other manga authors come out of hiatus after decades is so weird, I hope the same never happens to Togashi. Please come back fast.