• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy power line, Batman ! It has been 11 years since the last Turrican fangame was released ! And what a fangame it is !

hurricanschriftzug.png

Made by : Jorg "Eiswuxe" Winterstein and Thomas "Turri" Schreiter
Released in : June 20, 2007.
Genre : Modern Turrican (Plateform/Shooter)
Players : Two players Co-op (Local).
Price : Free.
If you're not familiar with Turrican : it's nothing like Contra or Metal Slug. It's a plateform/shooter heavily inspired by Metroid (giant levels and morph ball power), Mario (controls and mecanics) and Psycho Nics Oscar (armored robot with gunS and power ups). While (especially Turrican I & II) the levels of the series are all linear, you're encouraged to explore them a lot to find 1-Up, Diamonds (witch can give you a Continue) and power ups. Exploration is always rewarded. The franchise has changed quite a bit since Manfred Trenz, the sole creator of the first two ones, wasn't very involved in the series after Turrican II, going from a heavily exploration based levels to more "closed arcade action" in Turrican 3 / Mega Turrican and Super Turrican 2.

After the demise of Turrican 64 / Thornado, the rights of Turrican were in the hands of THQ (with Manfred Trenz, for a time). THQ only made a couple of games for mobiles and then, cancelled Turrican 3D before its release. And after that, the franchise went dormant... but you can always bet on fans to resurrect the franchise.

t3d_2.jpg

Almost complete, Turrican 3D by Manfred Trenz and THQ, for the PC. To be released in December 99... and cancelled.
There were multiple tries to bring back the Turrican Assault Suit and Bren McGuire alive. The amazing Turrican SETA website can show you the cancelled fan projects (Turricane 4 Ever, Turrican Forever) and the ones who got released (like T2002, T4 Funeral -a great mod for T2002 and a completly new Turrican 3 for the C64 by Smash Designs). Today, I'm gonna talk about Hurrican, released in 2007 by team Poke53280 (now Winterworks).

Trailer from the Preview version, a few months before the release, highlighting what to expect.​

Yep, eleven years since I played the final version of this gem, after five long years of development and a greate Preview version for the public, Hurrican was finally available and it was a blast.

Gameplay :
Hurrican controls exactly like a Turrican. It's amazing how Eiswuxe managed to get it perfect. It was one of the points I disliked the most about T2002 and its mods, but here, the team nailed it. You can jump, go underwater, transform into a spiked wheel (witch doesn't make you completly invincible to most of collisions, exactly like in Turrican 3 and Super Turrican 2) and for the first time in Turrican history : you can aim diagonally ! Doing so will stop your movement. Also, when you can finally swap between weapons freely instead of being able to carry only one. Getting weapon power ups level them up and losing a life decrease their level by one. The spiked wheel can slowly recharge and do it faster if you don't move. Finally, you can still use the famous 360 surround beam and even charge it to unleash a powerful sphere. Powerlines and Grenades are back and a new power up : the shockwave, witch touch everything on screen (unlike the power lines).

234625-hurrican-windows-screenshot-shooting-upwards.jpg

Yes ! You can shoot upward ! (img : MobyGames).

Music :
The soundtrack is awesome. It has a bit of a Turrican inspiration but is also its very own thing and identity. I really love some of the tracks (Main Title, In the beguinning, Jungle Beats, Demo Level 1, The Real Cave, Power Tower, Credits). Nailed it.

You can freely listen the OST on SoundCloud and Eiswuxe even included the tracks from the Preview Demo and the ones from the cut content (and when you watch the tons of tracks from the unreleased stuff, it makes you wonder what amount of levels / stuff has been cut !).

Graphics :
Maybe the part that didn't aged well because of the digitalised sprites, but personnally, it doesn't bug me at all. Each levels are distinct from the others and are filled to the max with secrets that only a trained eye will find. There's some nice effects underwater, bullets fall from your gun and drop on the ground, and even some smoke effects. It has a charm even if I prefer pixel art like the official Turrican. The excellent level design hopefully helps a lot to guide the player and even help him with a few hints here and there to access secrets.

234628-hurrican-windows-screenshot-first-level-boss.jpg

Yep, it's that famous glove boss from... well, the entire franchise (except Super Turrican 2).

Verdict :
Turrican Mania
/10.
It has been so long since the last time an official Turrican was released... and Hurrican nailed everything it needed to be a good fangame : the controls, the physics, the music, the levels... what a blast ! You can still get it for free at Eiswuxe websites, along with other games he worked on (like Bloo Kid 1 & 2).

https://www.winterworks.de/project/hurrican/

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
For some reason i have never played it despite knowing about it, maybe i'll play it sooner or later.
Damn that giant hand though, what the hell is that yellow thing? Is it a X-Men member i wasn't aware of?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I wonder if i already dled this on my hdd
Will grab it when i get home if i havent already

OP
OP

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has been quite a ride to wait for the release, I'll always remember : I was at work when I opened Turrican SETA frontpage, where T.R. Schmidt, the owner of the website, wrote :

"HURRICAN is finally available. What are you waiting for ? Go for it !" ^^

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
There are more recent Turrican fangames than this--Turrican 3 C64, Gunlord for Dreamcast/MVS, etc, others I'm forgetting

OP
OP

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are more recent Turrican fangames than this--Turrican 3 C64, Gunlord for Dreamcast/MVS, etc, others I'm forgetting
Yep :). T3 for the C64 is a big accomplishment. I'm not very fan of Gunlord, who didn't nailed multiple things : camera position, ennemies that respawns when you die -, witch make exploration never rewarding because you can die in three hits only, levels are a bit too restrictive...

But still, Gunlord was a nice try and love letter to Turrican (really like the first level theme).

Turrican 4 Funeral was made with the T2002 engine, thus it suffer from the same problems : camera position is way too high, wrong physics (both for jumping and for the wheel), the sound effect when you are hit is the one from Turrican 2 but at maximum volume each time you're hit, also you move way, way too slow underwater. Anyway, T4 Funeral have very nice graphics, new sound effects and a very good soundtrack.