• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I live in a City were the temperature is mostly 35°/40° Celsius
People buy these dogs and you can see that they are suffering. I have not seen a single one with a happy expression in their face while walking at street

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up as a kid helping raise and train lots of Huskies for a while with my family. Yeah they are not easy dogs.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
At least the runt dogs have squeaky barks as compared to a full throated scream

Also I love schnauzers don't be mean lol

I loved my mini schnauzer but there was no way any person, animal, or stray leaf was getting close to my house without that dog making sure everyone knew it.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Fun fact. They aren't an American dog breed. It's in the name, "siberian", or Siberia. You know that really cold place in Russia?
Fun fact. We named all these breeds in the 17/1800s after a bunch of admixture so watch the snark

Example: The "Husky" part of the name is from the indigenous Arctic Americans prior to the introduction of the Siberian Husky:
The term "husky" first came into usage in the mid to late 1700s. At this time, "Esquimaux" or "Eskimo" was a common term for pre-Columbian Arctic inhabitants of North America. Several dialectal permutations were in use including Uskee, Uskimay and Huskemaw. Thus, dogs used by Arctic people were the dogs of the Huskies, the Huskie's dogs, and eventually simply the husky dogs. Canadian and American settlers, not well versed on Russian geography, would later extend the word to Chukotka sled dogs imported from Russia, thus giving rise to the term Siberian husky.

Wikiwand - Husky

Husky is a general term for a dog used in the polar regions, primarily and specifically for work as sled dogs. It refers to a traditional northern type, notable for its cold-weather tolerance and overall hardiness. Modern racing huskies that maintain arctic breed traits represent an...

But yeah. Did some more looking up and looks like I'm getting them mixed up with older indigenous dog breeds & Malamutes of Alaska.
Although it is believed that the first dogs arrived in the Americas 12,000 years ago, people and their dogs did not settle in the Arctic until the Paleo-Eskimo people 4,500 years ago, followed by the Thule people 1,000 years ago, with both originating from Siberia. Malamutes were thought to be bred by the Malimiut Inupiaq people of Alaska's Norton Sound region.

The Malamute has been identified as a basal breed that predates the emergence of the modern breeds in the 19th century. A study in 2013 showed that the Alaskan Malamute has a similar east Asian origin to, but is not clearly related to, the Greenland Dog and the Canadian Eskimo Dog, but contains a possible admixture of the Siberian Husky.

Wikiwand - Alaskan Malamute

The Alaskan Malamute is a large breed of dog that was originally bred for its strength and endurance, to haul heavy freight as a sled dog, and as a hound. It is similar to other arctic breeds such as the husky, the spitz, the Greenland Dog, Canadian Eskimo Dog, the Siberian Husky, and the Samoyed.

The Chukotka sled dogs that are seen as the common ancestor between Huskies and Malamutes are in fact Siberian. This part of Siberia:
Berengia_-_present_day.png
Siberia_CK.png

Here's a fun video (Trey's a fun guy) on pre-contact dogs from someone who did more research than I.

At 14:00, Trey cites a 2018 study that provides this genome chart which clearly shows Arctic dogs both European and American as being most closely related to pre-contact American breeds:
doggenomez1jfv.png

But he goes on to share research showing that there is hardly any pre-contact genetic information left in dogs at all. Apparently less than 2% of dogs in America have any of those pre-contact genetics. But then he says "the few American dogs that can claim descent from pre-contact dogs, at least at the moment, are Carolina Dogs, Alaskan Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, Greeland Dogs, and of course those yummy little Chihuahuas" so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I love my Husky. She's around 10-months old. I've only heard her being vocal once when she wanted to go outside.

She is a handful, though. The amount of energy seems inexhaustible.

I live in a warm area, so we are mindful of the heat. She's usually outside from dawn till around noon. Then we bring her in till around 3-4. Then she's out for an hour or two. Then we bring her back during the night.

We have a very large yard, so she runs around (and around and around).

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least the runt dogs have squeaky barks as compared to a full throated scream

Also I love schnauzers don't be mean lol

It's not the breed of dog that is the issue, it's the owners who treat the dogs as human babies and cater to their every needs. They don't socialize the dogs or train them. Those breeds end up being annoying when that happens(seperation anxiety/overprotective-ness, constant barking).

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Poodles can be the worst. Easy to train but they will yap at you. When my sister has a conversation her poodle will get jealous and start barking at her because she isnt paying attention to him.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
This thread taught me I could never own a husky, but I'd kill to play with your husky.

Dec 19, 2021
I love my Husky. She's around 10-months old. I've only heard her being vocal once when she wanted to go outside.

She is a handful, though. The amount of energy seems inexhaustible.

I live in a warm area, so we are mindful of the heat. She's usually outside from dawn till around noon. Then we bring her in till around 3-4. Then she's out for an hour or two. Then we bring her back during the night.

We have a very large yard, so she runs around (and around and around).

I've raised 3 huskies some tips:

howling can happen when they aren't mentally stimulated as often as when they are physically exhausted. If you haven't already got her some puzzles or toys do so. She'll get bored in the backyard at 12-18 months and will find a way out. I've talked to owners who's huskies figured out ways over 10 foot fences (who knew dogs could climb trees if they are committed to it)

You're going to need to walk/run her. She won't exhaust herself in the backyard and it will start to manifest in behavior problems again usually around the 18-month mark. I would take ours for 10k runs in the morning and usually have them run along beside my bike (on one of those special bike leashes) at night. The record was 11 miles before he was exhausted enough to be chill.

Huskies IMO are some of the best dogs out there but they require a lot more exercise than pretty much any other breed or they start to go a little weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.