• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy an XSX then?

• Yes

Votes: 1,177 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,503 56.1%

• Total voters

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It won't be.

Folks at Microsoft and Sony are both aware of the specs of their competitions systems. Neither of them will be releasing a less powerful product that costs more. More likely scenarios are more powerful systems that cost more, price versus performance. We've seen that in several generations already.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I have well over $1000 of rock band DLC in the PS ecosystem, so I'm basically stuck with it forever. That and I don't like asymmetrical sticks.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If MS had established some good new franchises this gen, maybe. But they didn't. They just haven't set a very good precedent moving into a new generation. Compared to the original Xbox or the first half of the previous generation (360), I feel like Xbox has become a little bit irrelevant when they've had countless opportunities to have grown into something bigger. Next gen might be where they turn things around. But it won't be until the generation after where I feel I will have developed a good enough level of trust in them.

So for me personally. Next gen is a bit of a write-off for MS.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting both regardless

Yup. I can't imagine being so tied to one company that I wouldn't buy another system out of some crazy loyalty.

MS seems to be investing into developers. The games will be there. Even as someone with a decent gaming PC, I'll still get a XSX.

Sony and MS seem to be going all in so I'm excited about the next gen systems. Don't need to choose sides. Even if I only wanted/could choose one, I'd want both to succeed as competition is what drives innovation and pushes the industry forward.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. I can't imagine being so tied to one company that I wouldn't buy another system out of some crazy loyalty.

MS seems to be investing into developers. The games will be there. Even as someone with a decent gaming PC, I'll still get a XSX.

Sony and MS seem to be going all in so I'm excited about the next gen systems. Don't need to choose sides. Even if I only wanted/could choose one, I'd want both to succeed as competition is what drives innovation and pushes the industry forward.
What has me excited about Xbox is Gamepass Ultimate to be honest. I have Gamepass Ultimate till 2022 and I don't even have an Xbox lol (thanks Alienware) considering they're bringing their exclusives day 1 to Gamepass it's a no brainer to jump in. If get an Xbox now but I'd figure it'd be wiser to just wait till next year and save the money instead to get an XSX.

SONY I have no doubt in my mind that they'll continue delivering with their exclusives as they e always have so I'm excited to see what's coming to the PS5 on that end.

Overall I agree, if you like games in general get both if you can as they both have something great to offer.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So where does the genera consensus lie about next gen base model console pricing. I still believe they're 499$ but so badly want them to be 399$.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Why does it have to be out of crazy loyalty? I think the Xbox series x will most likely be a solid console but I really don't play enough games to justify buying both. I might not buy either and it's too early to decide which one I would buy but I doubt there'll be a reason to buy both. Especially with both having subscription services for online play I find buying both a bit silly. I already have more games than I could ever play just with Switch and PC.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Since Gamepass I've honestly found the Xbox App to be one of the most inoffensive and easy to use portals next to Steam.

The Microsoft Store we need not speak on though, won't ever use that again.

As a launcher it's fine, but god damn they need to fix some aspects of it, specifically the social features. Trying to manage Xbox Live parties is a fucking nightmare and it's extremely frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
No, my issue with MS has always been their first party output. They've clearly taken steps to improve on that, but I'm not buying an Xbox until they start producing more games I want.

Their platform has improved tremendously in the last few years, it's really impressive. And I hope they have some neat things coming out of their recently built up or acquired studios that suit my tastes next gen, because then it'll be a no brainer.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it have to be out of crazy loyalty? I think the Xbox series x will most likely be a solid console but I really don't play enough games to justify buying both. I might not buy either and it's too early to decide which one I would buy but I doubt there'll be a reason to buy both. Especially with both having subscription services for online play I find buying both a bit silly. I already have more games than I could ever play just with Switch and PC.

Have you read through the thread?

It's not everyone, but there are some clear Sony fanboys/MS haters in here.

I agree with what you're saying though. If you're not planning on getting both or either then looking at what both offer and deciding makes sense.

Some people in here are so stuck on brand loyalty without even knowing what the launch looks like.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
In a way

3rd parties that have started selling on all major store fronts are making a lot more. Just look at all major Japanese companies who have embraced PC gaming this gen. Games like Dark Souls have expanded their reach thanks to Steam, same with Monster Hunter.

As for Mandalorian, I would agree that yes, they should at least do something and make it available elsewhere, like on blu-ray for example.Why do you think it gets pirated so much? People are tired of having to pay for different streaming services and pay so much in the end.

The point was, despite of the available market they don't make the same kind of games due to the risks involved, like the platform holders do as the games sell the systems as well. Hell, the recent Star Wars directed by Stig of God of War 3 fame is the only that kind of game EA has released in a long time, after cancelling the one Amy of Uncharted/Soul Reaver fame was directing. If Sony and Nintendo were in the same position as EA, they'd likely take much less risks with new IPs and single player experiences than they do now. Yoshida famously said in 2014...

It's a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That's the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing.

EDIT: Come to think of it, games like Dreams and The Last Guardian wouldn't probably exist otherwise, and a publisher like EA would probably have cancelled them long before their release, or hadn't had greenlit them in the first place.

I agree, that for consumers it would be best to be able to enjoy all the content on a single system, or a streaming service, but without the competition the platform holders and service providers wouldn't have the reason to create the kind of content they do now.

Personally, subscribing to two services is the maximum for me, those being Netflix and Prime at the moment, and I don't have time or money for more than one gaming system. So, I pick the one that offers me the most content I enjoy.

Last edited:

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather get a PS5 since I already have a PC. Unless MS will give it exclusives that won't ever get ported to PC.... which I doubt.

Zonnes

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2019
I am buying both already and that will help, Microsoft's new studios is a big reason for me to invest it an XBOX

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK

I agree with what you're saying though. If you're not planning on getting both or either then looking at what both offer and deciding makes sense.

Some people in here are so stuck on brand loyalty without even knowing what the launch looks like.

Not really, I would imagine if someone has invested a lot into the Playstation ecosystem why would they move over to MS? This gen alone has seen a huge rise in digital purchases and people want to carry that over.

I'm in that position personally and for me the Playstation platform services my gaming needs with it's vast variety of titles. Having owned an X for about a year I sold it eventually as I rarely used it, and even then it was just to play Gears/Halo/Forza.

Gamepass does nothing for me when I already own hundreds of titles and I don't like the vibe of subscription based games to the industry. It will be interesting to see how long MS can offer it dirt cheap because you can only do that for so long. MS still has a lot to prove with exclusives, yes they have acquired new studios but that doesn't mean anything until they've released consistent quality games.

I'm glad MS has recovered from the early Xbox One days though because we need that competition overall as it is good for gamers.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019

Let's not do that here.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, nope. I can't believe this whole gen is coming to an end without one xbox1 exclusive that I'm interested in and would consider getting the console for. Can foresee the same thing happening next gen.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. That's the main reason why I bought PS4 over XO this gen. PS4 was cheaper and more powerful.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
MS for me need to take inspiration from their original Xbox days, where they had so many great first party titles and variety.

At the time they were like the revolution of Sega for me and I remember selling my PS2 at the time to buy one.

I know they are hopefully bringing Fable back but they also need to look at bringing back the PGR series to, maybe a new Jet Set Radio or Outrun while you are at it. A new KOTOR would be amazing but with EA holding the licence rights currently that's a no go currently.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I would buy an XSX if it was $100 more expensive and weaker.

It's all about the games and the type of games the Xbox platform has consistently offered to me.

Oct 31, 2017
Nope. MS hasn't excited me at all this gen with their games and I doubt they will next gen even with their studio acquisitions. I also already own a nice gaming PC so buying an Xbox will be redundant for me since I can already access their games on my PC. They need more exciting games and games that can only be played on the Series X to get me to buy one.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Sony has the better games IMO. So to start with, I will be focusing on Sony.

The Last of Us, Horizon, God of War, Gran Turismo, Driveclub, Infamous, Killzone, Knack, Ico Shadow of the Colossus, Spider-Man, The Last Guardian, The Order: 1886, Uncharted, Until Dawn etc.

Sony has at least a AA standard exclusive game in many genres. MS can't match that.

I will probably get the next XBox for Forza, which is better played on a TV with a wheel.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

People already saying they would buy the Ps5 over XsX are doing so based on liking the ps4 more than the xbox one. I'd definitely say it's too early to say for sure but it's not like people can't change their minds. If I had to choose one right now i'd still say Ps5 is probably going to be my choice if I buy one of them. Era is leaning towards Sony more than Microsoft at the moment but that could change if Microsoft keeps on the good work. It's changed before and it might again in the future. Both Sony and Microsoft have had terrible console launches so a lot could change.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I am genuinely surprised at how large the numbers are for Xbox here. This is a hardcore forum where probably 50% or more have a gaming capable pc. I was almost completely positive that it'd be a 20% - 80% split

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Tempting, but no because I need to see some exclusives beyond Ninja Theory/Obsidian that would interest me.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
WWS just seem more mature and industry leading that I am more than confident that PS5 is gonna have amazing exclusives throughout the generation.

I mean 5 of those studios made GOTY contenders this gen.

XGS is still building themselves and thats great, but I need to wait until I see something that interests me personally. My Xbox One this gen is basically a Halo, Gears, Forza machine and those games just don't excite me anymore. Fable and The Initiative's game is what I'm most intrigued about. Until I see them, I'm not considering getting XSX yet.

Vexxan

Oct 28, 2017
Probably won't be getting an XSX since I have a very good gaming PC but I could see myself subscribing to GamePass if it keeps getting better on PC, I've already had a blast with the games available today. A (slim) PS5 is probably a lock for me down the road since I tend to like Sony's single-player games.