• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Let's assume for a moment that the rumours are true, despite the contrary, and Metroid Prime Trilogy is being ported to the Nintendo Switch. We can assume, if this is the case, that it's intended to precede Prime 4's release.

So for you lot I have a few questions.

A) To what extent do you feel the games will be ported or remade? Direct GCN/Wii assets and content, rendering resolution now a native 1080p docked 720p portable? Or something more substantial, not unlike Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for Wii U? Or a total, comprehensive visual overhaul like Bluepoint's work?

B) When do you believe it is likely to release, and relative to that, what is your projection for Prime 4?

C) Do you believe it to exist, and if so, when do you feel it will be revealed?

Hedge your bets.

reminio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln, UK
Didn't Liam Robertson say it's basically a matter of when not if?

All I expect is upscaled to 720p undocked/1080p docked and maybe higher resolution textures

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
A: I think it'll be just a port, 1080p docked and 720p portable @ 60fps.
B: If Prime 4 will release in 2019, than I expect the Prime Trilogy to release at the beginning of the year (february or march) and then Prime 4 at the end of the year (november of december).
C: On the next Nintendo Direct (january?).

Oct 25, 2017
All the ports we have seen so far (maybe I'm forgetting one) have been from the WiiU era. If Nintendo started doing Wii ports I think they would start with Mario Galaxy, not the Prime Trilogy because those games relied heavily on the motion controls.
So you would have to back-engineer Prime 1 and Prime 2 to the Gamecube originals era and heavily retool Prime 3. I'm no developer but that sounds like a lot of work for a series that sadly doesn't sell amazingly well.

Not saying it never going to happen, but I don't believe any rumours right now

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a lot of work. Will the motion controls be accurate enough with gyro alone? Do they go back and redo every game as a dual stick shooter, or add "L to aim" controls back in to 1 and 2 and make something fresh for 3? I don't expect new assets if they still sell 3 games in 1.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
I think the games hold up well enough on their own but I could see overhauling some of the lighting and effects in addition to the resolution bump. Almost definitely not a complete visual remake like Shadow of the Colossus, which would be a massive undertaking. They would probably release it at least six months to a year before Metroid Prime 4; my personal estimate is late 2019 for the trilogy (I do think it's coming) and mid-2020 for Metroid Prime 4. I'm not certain whether they'll reveal it at a Nintendo Direct sometime early-mid next year or have an information blowout during E3. I personally thought it would have a trailer at the TGAs but I don't see them waiting until around this time next year to actually show something.

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't expect a drastic overhaul; I'd basically expect them to get the Twilight Princess HD treatment. Just high res textures, HD Rumble, a new & polished UI and motion controls (probable optional for MP 1&2; but obviously mandatory for Prime 3).

They really don't need anything else.

Trilogy HD release in early 2019. Metroid Prime 4 to release in November 2020.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
1) Same geometry/model assets with new HD textures and improved or tweaked lighting/filtering. 1080p docked, 720p undocked, locked 60fps. Not expecting anything beyond minor gameplay tweaks. Probably like TPHD and I wouldn't be shocked if Tantalus was doing it either.

2) Spring 2019 for Trilogy, Fall/holiday for 4.

3) Jan Direct.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Prime Trilogy is a thing that will happen in 2019. I dont think it'll get updated outside of better resolution and textures.

Prime 4 will be a 2020 title. I cannot see it coming out next year so we'll have the Trilogy to tide us over in the meantime.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for ports of old games, native res is a must. i doubt they would put too much effort into upgrading assets and stuff for three games, just up res the games and maybe touch up the textures.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not releasing this trilogy on the Switch would basically be leaving money on the table, though admittedly Nintendo does that sometimes.

Still, I can't imagine them not porting this, especially as a promotion for Prime 4.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Cleaned up visuals is what I expect. Not a full-on remake.
I'm more curious about what they'll do with the controls. Same with 4.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) Same geometry/model assets with new HD textures and improved or tweaked lighting/filtering. 1080p docked, 720p undocked, locked 60fps. Not expecting anything beyond minor gameplay tweaks. Probably like TPHD and I wouldn't be shocked if Tantalus was doing it either.

2) Spring 2019 for Trilogy, Fall/holiday for 4.

3) Jan Direct.
TPHD had new HD textures, updated several sections of the game to be less ass, and included a new(two new, technically) difficulty(ies).

All the ports we have seen so far (maybe I'm forgetting one) have been from the WiiU era. If Nintendo started doing Wii ports I think they would start with Mario Galaxy, not the Prime Trilogy because those games relied heavily on the motion controls.
So you would have to back-engineer Prime 1 and Prime 2 to the Gamecube originals era and heavily retool Prime 3. I'm no developer but that sounds like a lot of work for a series that sadly doesn't sell amazingly well.

The Switch has motion controls and this would likely use them.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I want right stick aiming with gyro.
For visuals the bump to 720p/1080p undocked/docked would be a nice upgrade and ideally they'd retouch the textures. Besides that I'm not hoping for a lot more. If Metroid Prime 4 is next year, I'm hoping for the trilogy to be early 2019. Probably announced during the January direct too.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
TPHD had new HD textures, updated several sections of the game to be less ass, and included a new(two new, technically) difficulty(ies).
That's basically what I said (HD textures, minor gameplay tweaks). I think the most work would probably go into retrofitting Prime 3 into a traditional control scheme to accomodate handheld play.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It seems unlikely to me that any Metroid prime title released on switch doesn't support motion controls. They definitely (read hope) won't be going back to the atrociously bad GameCube control scheme in either case. If anyone working on the games has any sanity , It'll be closer to a modern twin stick shooter when not locked on.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I expect 1080p docked / 720p handheld, new lighting, option for dual stick aiming with gyro, dual stick without gyro and traditional controls, and that's it. MAYBE online support for MP2 multiplayer? That'd be cool
It needs an option to play in third person, in order to fix its problems with the gameplay.
Truly the hotest of takes

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
1080p, perfect 60fps, option for original controls for MP1 and 2.

That's all I expect and all I want or need.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
They will Dolphin the games up and call it a day. 1080p should definitely be the standard, and hopefully they'll do a true widescreen conversion, none of that anamorphic widescreen stuff. That and better textures would be enough for me. And yes, I believe it exists, but who know when it's coming out.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't believe in metroid prome trilogy coming to the switch. The trouble of porting these games is going to be monstrous.

It's not about the graphics, it's the controls. I don't think switch is capable of emulating point controls that easily.

happynaut

Jan 22, 2018
I also don't believe they are bringing a trilogy before MP 4 comes out. It would steal the show for the brand new MP4.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Surely MP4 and MPT Will Be Shown In The Next Direct" Says Increasingly Nervous Man For Fourth Time This Year

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Well, people are going to hate me for this, but I don't think they hold up quite as well as people usually say they do, and I think in oder to look attractive by today's standards they'd need a bit of a graphical overhaul. Like, I love the games, but the scenarios need more geometry, better textures, and new lighting.
Prime 3 aged a lot better, but even that one needs some work done imo.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
1080p/60fps is all I expect, though I'd love to see more.
It'd be...something if Retro has been working on remasters this whole time.

User Warned: Hostility
I expect 1080p docked / 720p handheld, new lighting, option for dual stick aiming with gyro, dual stick without gyro and traditional controls, and that's it. MAYBE online support for MP2 multiplayer? That'd be cool

Truly the hotest of takes

FUCK THE FUCK OFF with that, and your use of "Hot Take" as a catch-all term for "Valid Opinion I Disagree With". URGH... I've been very critical of first-person gameplay design on numerous occasions in the past, as its hell on my learning disability. Furthermore, an OPTION, as stated in my post, doesn't take a thing away from those who don't wish to use it. But SURE, "the hottest of takes". How cute. Rightbackatcha. Your disablism is infinitely worse than my harmless preference.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
just hoping we see it in 2019. I think we may see a mix of enhancements, would hope for 1080p/60 fps. Hopefully they don't touch the music aside from higher res audio.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They will announce the Wii Virtual Console, and then announce the release of Metroid Prime Trilogy and Mario Galaxy, both in SD and motion controls without any new upgrades.
That's what I'm expecting from Nintendo, just disappointment.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Enhanced port from the Wii versions.

I'm most curious how they're gonna handle controls. They pushed the Metroid Prime series pretty hard with stylus/wiimote controls.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe in metroid prome trilogy coming to the switch. The trouble of porting these games is going to be monstrous.

It's not about the graphics, it's the controls. I don't think switch is capable of emulating point controls that easily.
They weren't pointer controls on GameCube so I see no obstacles there.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK THE FUCK OFF with that, and your use of "Hot Take" as a catch-all term for "Valid Opinion I Disagree With". URGH... I've been very critical of first-person gameplay design on numerous occasions in the past, as its hell on my learning disability. Furthermore, an OPTION, as stated in my post, doesn't take a thing away from those who don't wish to use it. But SURE, "the hottest of takes". How cute. Rightbackatcha. Your disablism is infinitely worse than my harmless preference.
No he was right, your post was a hot take and one is quite frankly that doesn't make sense for the game. I don't see how third person would be a good thing in the trilogy.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Since they've already released the trilogy (and I've played them to death), I really hope they overhaul the visuals and gameplay. They could even add IR control and a modernized FPS layout.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it does happen, they should base MP1 & MP2 off of the original NTSC Gamecube version instead of the horrible Trilogy version. I do expect that it will just be a HD port with some minor additions and not a major from the ground up remake.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Upscaled to 1080. Traditional control option for MP3 developed so all games can be traditional or motion. This is needed so we can play in portable mode.

That's it

No he was right, your post was a hot take and one is quite frankly that doesn't make sense for the game. I don't see how third person would be a good thing in the trilogy.

It's still a valid opinion you disagree with, not a "hot take", so, you, too, can FUCK THE FUCK OFF. Why the disablism, and where are the moderators? The OPTION to play in third person would be very helpful in my case, and I strongly suspect that I wouldn't be alone. The OPTION would be ONE THAT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER, and ONE THAT YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO EXERCISE. So, if it would open the game up to those who couldn't play the originals for whatever reason, why is that so problematic? (It isn't). It makes sense for those of us in this position - What's "hot" about the takes on this hellsite is you and those who quoted me claiming authority on an experience you have never had, and speaking with ignorance and unbridled audacity over a disabled person. Stop this.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If you simply say that the game is bad because of being first person, which is what I interpreted your post as, yes, I consider that as a hot take. I didn't know about your disability. You don't need to be so agressive.

In any case I'm sorry for assuming you didn't have a disability. I also have one btw, so I don't know how I can be doing "disablism", whatever that is?

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It's still a valid opinion you disagree with, not a "hot take", so, you, too, can FUCK THE FUCK OFF. Why the disablism, and where are the moderators? The OPTION to play in third person would be very helpful in my case, and I strongly suspect that I wouldn't be alone. The OPTION would be ONE THAT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER, and ONE THAT YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO EXERCISE. So, if it would open the game up to those who couldn't play the originals for whatever reason, why is that so problematic? (It isn't). It makes sense for those of us in this position - What's "hot" about the takes on this hellsite is you and those who quoted me claiming authority on an experience you have never had, and speaking with ignorance and unbridled audacity over a disabled person. Stop this.

😳

Expecting a game to be rebuilt to accommodate a completely different perspective is not a reasonable accessibility request. There are dozens of design choices that are predicated on the notion of being in Samus' boots and apprehending the world through her visor. It would change the fundamental nature of these games.

That aside, Nintendo would be absolutely insane if they didn't offer a modern dual stick control scheme. And it would be nice, but I don't think they even need to do any texture work for people to eagerly snap it up.

Last edited:

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Do you realize how impractical it is for them to add a 3rd person option to three games? It would basically require the developers to build three games entirely from the ground up and at that point they wouldn't really even be the same games anymore. It's not going to happen especially since this is Nintendo and they are not going to package what are essentially three brand new games in a single package. That being said there might be a third person option in Prime 4.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I really, really hope it will be announced at Nintendos next direct for a release in spring maybe (when are Nintendo's diects usually scheduled?).

And I feel like Prime 4 is an early 2020 game.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem here, aka the hot take is that you said it needed that mode to fix its gameplay. Making it sound like if it were a widespread issue when in reality you were just speaking for yourself.

You should have worded your first statement a bit better. The way I read your comment at first was more about "this game is trash because of first person view" instead of "I personally have some issues with this perspective, they should offer an extra way to play it"

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
-More geometry and better textures, for those who think that they will simply upgrade the games to 1080p... remember that the artstyle is more realistic than other Nintendo games and that the geometry from the games will look really bad today.
-New lighting
-Different control options

I really want them to offer the option to play with the GC controller though.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not unlike Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for Wii U?
Please, for the love of god, don´t put those games in the same category.

WW had updated lighting all around, including dynamic shadows, self shadowing, SSAO, global illumination and more, while TP HD had just updated textures and some minor improvements. They are not in the same bucket. WW HD looks actually like a game that could have been released in 2013, while TP looks like a 2006 early PS3 game.
I would be very happy if Nintendo would put the same care that went into WW HD into a Metroid Prime Trilogy. However I would be disappointed if it will be just like TP better textures and higher res.