• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
-More geometry and better textures, for those who think that they will simply upgrade the games to 1080p... remember that the artstyle is more realistic than other Nintendo games and that the geometry from the games will look really bad today.
-New lighting
-Different control options

I really want them to offer the option to play with the GC controller though.

We've seen what the game looks like in high resolution thanks to emulation. It looks good.

In. Credible... REALLY, Moderators!? You've given ME a warning, when there are people here being openly antagonistic towards a disabled person? Where are the warnings for those who quoted me? Why is it acceptable for people to shit on one another's harmless preferences and valid opinions, or claim authority on issues which don't affect them, but unacceptable for me to defend myself against bullies, or tell said people to fuck off and let me be? It isn't "bad on both/all sides", and I'm not guilty of shitposting here, because none of my posts have been in bad faith. I clicked "I understand", but no, I would be a liar if I said I take one word back. You can have this thread. I'm done with it. If you can warn me, when the worst thing I did was write "fuck the fuck off" or write in capital letters in self-defence, then you're complicit in breeding toxicity on your own site. It's also a failure to protect all members, especially those in my position, because the messages you've sent out with your warning are that people being bullied can't stick up for themselves, and bullying others for their differences and disabilities is acceptable.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
We've seen what the game looks like in high resolution thanks to emulation. It looks good.
It looks extremely "blocky", from the basic geometry to the missile explosion effects. IMO a poylgon count improvement should be easy enough to implement and it would help the game to look far better.

Think about Nsane trilogy, three games at a reduced price. MP games are longer, but they are slow and have lots of backtracking, so revamp the visuals on the three games doesn't seem a really crazy idea.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In. Credible... REALLY, Moderators!? You've given ME a warning, when there are people here being openly antagonistic towards a disabled person? Where are the warnings for those who quoted me? Why is it acceptable for people to shit on one another's harmless preferences and valid opinions, or claim authority on issues which don't affect them, but unacceptable for me to defend myself against bullies, or tell said people to fuck off and let me be? It isn't "bad on both/all sides", and I'm not guilty of shitposting here, because none of my posts have been in bad faith. I clicked "I understand", but no, I would be a liar if I said I take one word back. You can have this thread. I'm done with it. If you can warn me, when the worst thing I did was write "fuck the fuck off" or write in capital letters in self-defence, then you're complicit in breeding toxicity on your own site. It's also a failure to protect all members, especially those in my position, because the messages you've sent out with your warning are that people being bullied can't stick up for themselves, and bullying others for their differences and disabilities is acceptable.
For what it's worth I agree with you wholeheartedly, and the people opposing you are just blinkered trolls. But the way you talked to people isn't really acceptable. We don't act like that here.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'd take anything at this point, but I would expect them to maybe just improve the visuals while upping the resolution a little bit. I wouldn't expect anything too drastic - I'd imagine most of the work would go into reworking the games to work with modern control schemes today.

I also wouldn't be upset if they went ahead and streamlined some of the more annoying fetch quests at the end of the first two games (like how Wind Waker's Triforce stuff was fixed up) but a man can dream.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Prime Trilogy HD shouldn't go 3rd person, that's ridiculous. Prime 4 should go 3rd person. :)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The gameplay is fine though, I'd like to have the option to play the games (the two first at least) using the GC control scheme. I even thing that playing with motion aiming should re-balance the game slightly, as it is really easier thanks to the fast aim.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be clear, you wrote a single-sentence post about how Metroid has "problems with gameplay" that could be fixed in third person, and when people laughed at you, claimed you were actually talking about some kind of vague and previously unmentioned accessibility feature and immediately started cursing people out and insisting that people were being ableist by not reading your mind and knowing exactly what you were talking about. You're either ban-baiting or a troll.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's a dumb superficial thing but I just thought about how they could use the different beam types and HD Rumble to create some really cool tactile effects when you play on the Switch. I hope they go the full mile with all the cool gimmicks in the Switch hardware.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018

Somehow this topic really triggered you, but you come off as unhinged.

Back on topic, the whole aesthetic for MP series is first person. Nintendo will never add in a "mode" for third person play, even as an option.

Although transforming into morph ball or spider ball are cool moments because those are third person perspective.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Let's move on from this derail and get back to the threads subject, thank you.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am hoping for reworked lighting but not expecting more than the games rendered at higher resolutions and touched up textures. A lot of the work is gonna go towards making Corruption work without pointer/motion controls.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I want right stick aiming with gyro.
For visuals the bump to 720p/1080p undocked/docked would be a nice upgrade and ideally they'd retouch the textures. Besides that I'm not hoping for a lot more. If Metroid Prime 4 is next year, I'm hoping for the trilogy to be early 2019. Probably announced during the January direct too.

The game's built for lock on aiming.. twin stick would suck immeasurably

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
a) I don't think it'll be much of a remaster. Slight if any.

b) It will be revealed in exactly 12 days.

c) Yes it exists and it will sell decent amount.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I personally would like the game to take more from Other M than anything from Prime 1 - 3.

Regardless it needs some good shake ups. Just making Prime 1 but with better graphics and on the go isn't going to get the Metroid series past it's currently off shelf of being known but not relatively popular.

Like having to get all your powers again is something that absolutely shouldn't be in.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
All the ports we have seen so far (maybe I'm forgetting one) have been from the WiiU era. If Nintendo started doing Wii ports I think they would start with Mario Galaxy, not the Prime Trilogy because those games relied heavily on the motion controls.
So you would have to back-engineer Prime 1 and Prime 2 to the Gamecube originals era and heavily retool Prime 3. I'm no developer but that sounds like a lot of work for a series that sadly doesn't sell amazingly well.

Not saying it never going to happen, but I don't believe any rumours right now

I still don't get why there's this idea that the Switch can't mimic the motion controls of a Wii game.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
A: I think it'll be just a port, 1080p docked and 720p portable @ 60fps.
B: If Prime 4 will release in 2019, than I expect the Prime Trilogy to release at the beginning of the year (february or march) and then Prime 4 at the end of the year (november of december).
C: On the next Nintendo Direct (january?).

If it's going to be just a port it would be in 420p since it's a Wii game, right? To hit 1080 or 720 it would have to be a remaster.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Like having to get all your powers again is something that absolutely shouldn't be in.

Of course it should, that's Metroid and a huge part of its appeal. It gives you some thing to work towards, it allows the game play to be constantly evolving, it allows Nintendo to design levels around the abilities you've just unlocked. I get that some people don't like backtracking but maybe make that optional. Like you get new weapons/health if you backtrack but you can beat the game without doing it.

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why there's this idea that the Switch can't mimic the motion controls of a Wii game.
I never said you can't do it tho. But you had to yank the Joy-con back to open doors and use the grappling hook in 3 iirc. How would that work with the Switch. Especially in handheld mode. Personally, I also don't want to play those games with motion controls without a wiimote anyway, but that's just my preference.

Jan 11, 2018
I think what people don't realize, is how much work would have to go into making Prime 3 work with a different control scheme. The entire game was literally designed around the pointer controls, from the enemies, the puzzles, navigation/exploration. You can't just slap dual analogue, or the Prime 1/2 control scheme on it and call it a day.

Also, to redo three games from the ground up the way Bluepoint did SOTC would be a MASSIVE undertaking. The amount of detail in one of the Prime games, let alone three, is staggering. Retro are one of the, if not THE most meticulous studios in the industry. I expect a fresh coat of paint but not much else. That's if the rumors are even true to begin with.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Of course it should, that's Metroid and a huge part of its appeal. It gives you some thing to work towards, it allows the game play to be constantly evolving, it allows Nintendo to design levels around the abilities you've just unlocked. I get that some people don't like backtracking but maybe make that optional. Like you get new weapons/health if you backtrack but you can beat the game without doing it.

Considering how acclaimed Breath of the Wild was and it dropped a lot of things people would consider mandatory for a Zelda experience. I think Metroid with the right team could definitely do something similar. In the sense they drop the norms people expect but still make a fully realized Metroid title.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how acclaimed Breath of the Wild was and it dropped a lot of things people would consider mandatory for a Zelda experience. I think Metroid with the right team could definitely do something similar. In the sense they drop the norms people expect but still make a fully realized Metroid title.

Botw was a transcendent experience. It's not realistic to have that as your expectation for Nintendo games going forward. Mario Odyssey is more realistic.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
In regards to Prime 4, I think it will be First Person perspective again because they are using the Prime branding again. Why else use it?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The trilogy holds up at high resolutions but I expect 1080p with sharper textures. I would love to see some AO and dynamic lighting but who knows. If its like Wind Waker Im down. Some new visuals, fixed 1st person controls with 2 analogs, some qol improvements and what not.

In regards to Prime 4, I think it will be First Person perspective again because they are using the Prime branding again. Why else use it?
Cuzz people are dumb.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Agreed. Prime is all about atmosphere, and it works perfectly in first-person. I really think that Prime4 will be a far more conservative game than BotW, it won't shake the formula at all.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for the first two games to retain GameCube-style controls. Those games don't need dual analogue. However, the option for those that want them would be nice.

Keep it 60fps. 1080p if they can do it without affecting the frame rate...otherwise 720p. One would hope that they wouldn't have trouble with these rather old games now though.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Keep it 60fps. 1080p if they can do it without affecting the frame rate...otherwise 720p. One would hope that they wouldn't have trouble with these rather old games now though.
If the Switch can play 720p@60 WiiU games at 1080p@60, there's no reason to expect less from a GC/Wii remaster, unless they really improve the visuals to something above other WiiU games, which is unlikely.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
wow, i wasn't expecting this to be the first thing i read when clicking this thread 😮

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm really surprised at how pessimistic is everyone here about the Metroid Prime remasters, espcially considering how good are the 4 Zelda remasters/remakes.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
If real I would expect higher res, improved textures and lighting and maybe some QOL improvements.

I'm not sure I would buy it though, I already played them twice and this year is going to be packed.

Oct 27, 2017
At some point next year: Prime 4 trailer reveals 2020 release. "But in the meantime..." trilogy out now/soon. Everybody happy.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised at how pessimistic is everyone here about the Metroid Prime remasters, espcially considering how good are the 4 Zelda remasters/remakes.

Zelda is one of Nintendo's blockbuster babies though. Metroid is not. I would be surprised if it got similar resources put into as a Zelda title considering it most likely wouldn't earn the same return.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Zelda is one of Nintendo's blockbuster babies though. Metroid is not. I would be surprised if it got similar resources put into as a Zelda title considering it most likely wouldn't earn the same return.
Well, TP HD was released when Nintendo was full aware that WiiU's numbers were bad and that the game never would sell lots of copies. Even so, it was a good remaster (it lacked more geometry though). Nintendo now knows that every game on the Switch will sell lots of copies, and that the trilogy will help selling MP4 when it's released. Knowing that they will charge 60 € for the game, we can expect some good work on it IMO. One thing is a WiiU game in 1080p and another different thing is selling a GC/Wii title without some improvements at least to the textures-

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a firm believer of porting over versions as close to the launch editions as possible (i.e. 00 for Metroid Prime) for all the sequence breaking goodness. Fat chance in hell of that happening though. The Wii games are fun novelties but nothing replaces the authentic GCN experience where you can do so, so much with the game's physics without all the gimping and BS invisible walls and arbitrary door locks.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting them to be straight remasters and not remakes, which is fine by me. The art direction in these games still holds up remarkably well.

No clue how they'll handle MP3, however. That'll be interesting to see.

Oct 25, 2017
I only expect an average port of the existing wii port with a new menu UI and switch adapted control schemes, carrying along any issues/blemishes of the wii port along with it to switch. The only in-game texture updates done would be the HUD. 1080 docked should be easy enough.
Basically setting my expectations low.

Though I'd love it if it were fresh ports from original GCN versions (for 1&2 obviously) avoiding some of the minor issues of the wii port with across the board texture and lighting updates and HD rumble.

I do wonder how they'll handle the controls. Will the original trilogy get two stick controls?
Do you want Prime to get two stick controls or would you rather they figure something out with motion controls?

wxWmhQ8m.jpg
or
r6Xw4h1m.jpg

Last edited: