• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Didn't Liam Robertson say it's basically a matter of when not if?

All I expect is upscaled to 720p undocked/1080p docked and maybe higher resolution textures
C995WnpV0AAH059.jpg

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A) It'll surely be 1080p Docked and 720p Handheld, if the Switch can do this for Wii U releases, it can afford it with GC/Wii titles without issues I think. I expect only a resolution increase and hinestly I'd be happy with that, better textures/lighting would be the cream on top.

B)Before Metroid Prime 4 comes out, that's for sure. I think the previous three games are dating from way too far to not redo a trilogy in order for people to relocate themselves in the lore. It makes too much business/opportunity sense.

C) I expect it to be announced at the same time we'll get a date for Prime 4.

Last edited:

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder how they'll handle the controls. Will the original trilogy get two stick controls?
Do you want Prime to get two stick controls or would you rather they figure something out with motion controls?

I wouldn't mind if they worked in an optional dual stick control scheme just so we can see the "what if" scenario realized for comparison, but it cannot be the only option and replace the original control scheme. It was designed with that original control scheme in mind and I think it will end up playing best that way.

I wasn't a fan of the remote in the Wii versions MP1 and 2. There was always this weird struggle to "fight" the aiming movement if I just wanted to slowly explore and slowly move around without my view going all over the place and switching beams and visors was very uncomfortable with the Wii remote and you had to do it alot in those games.

Again, I wouldn't mind them being options as others certainly prefer different controls, but I just don't want to be stuck with a control scheme I dont like.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
More geometry on enemies, characters and the levels with better textures.
-More geometry and better textures, for those who think that they will simply upgrade the games to 1080p... remember that the artstyle is more realistic than other Nintendo games and that the geometry from the games will look really bad today.
-New lighting
-Different control options

I really want them to offer the option to play with the GC controller though.
Updating the geometry is pretty unrealistic, they didn't do it for Zelda Twilight Princess why would they do it for 3 Metroid games? Those Resources will go to Prime 4.

I think Nintendo's most ambitious remakes are Wind Waker HD and the Zeldas on 3DS but those were sold as 1 game and no one from the GC era had updated geometry

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Updating the geometry is pretty unrealistic, they didn't do it for Zelda Twilight Princess why would they do it for 3 Metroid games? Those Resources will go to Prime 4.
I dunno, Crash Nsane upgraded everything from the 3 games and was sold at 40 € or less. I know that Metroid Prime games are larger and all that, and I don't expect anything crazy, but the sales are guaranteed knowing how good everything is selling on the system.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I dunno, Crash Nsane upgraded everything from the 3 games and was sold at 40 € or less. I know that Metroid Prime games are larger and all that, and I don't expect anything crazy, but the sales are guaranteed knowing how good everything is selling on the system.
Crash needs to be updated because its from the PS1 era, but besides that i just don't expect anything crazy from Nintendo.

Resolution 1080p at 60 fps, updated controls and if we are lucky new light effects

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Crash needs to be updated because its from the PS1 era
Agreed, but a 60 fps from the GC era needs to be upgraded too in some degree IMO.
i just don't expect anything crazy from Nintendo.
Well, they released the 3DS Zelda Remakes, the DS/3DS Fire Emblem remakes, the 2 WiiU Zelda game remasters... I'd say the opposite, Nintendo does far better remasters/remakes than most companies. WiiU-> Switch enhanced ports are not remasters though.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

Crash is a more popular brand than Metroid. Those games are also much older and require more substantial updates. Investing the resources into it makes sense.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I don't anticipate any major changes in terms of content or fidelity(possibly a 1080p docked bump).

But really the major question surrounds controls. I suppose extra work could be implemented to ensure the motion controls function using the gyro in a similar manner to the IR of the previous collection(adding a recenter button somewhere I assume).

MP1/2 could have their motion controls tooled to also include Pro Controller support aligned with their Gamecube setup, but what of MP3 which was always motion exclusive? I suppose it could also be reworked with the gyro, even on a Pro Controller, but that would be quite an undertaking compared to forced joycon use for that game.

I guess it depends wholly on how much effort and resources Nintendo is willing to spend to even deliver. I view this release as less of an event and more of a timed promotion release to help market the upcoming MP4(if they choose to port at all).

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
All three games need standard and gyro controls, fresh coat of paint would be nice but simple up res would be fine as the games already look pretty great.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
All three games need standard and gyro controls, fresh coat of paint would be nice but simple up res would be fine as the games already look pretty great.

I think MP3 would need a substantial rework to do regular controls. Many bosses and enemies require the quick precision of the pointer controls. The chick bounty hunter boss fight would wreck you with a regular controller setup unless they changed the way she fights.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll put the water ripples back in and all the effects that were stripped from the Wii release

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll be bumped up to 1080p/720p and have touched up assets. Maybe some enhanced lighting effects? But nothing crazy. A Bluepoint style overhaul would be amazing though.

It'll probably get released in spring or summer. Prime 4 is either going to be late 2019 or early 2020.

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
I played MP1 on Dolphin not so long ago and it holds up extremely well for a game of that time, so I don't think they will update much more than an improved ligthing as we saw in MP3.

Nintendo will improve render resolution, put the three of them in a cartidge (maybe even two of them as downloable) and ask for the 60 bucks.

And they know the people that still cares about metroid will pay them.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I honestly don't really care if it gets a full remaster treatment or not. Just a HD bump is all I need, as long as it's not full price.
A twilight princess rework would be more than I could ask for

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's my understanding that the extra beam effects were removed from the Wii versions because they didn't work correctly with how the new aiming controls effected the beam animation.
Nah, I think there was some type of interference caused by the ductape that held the two GameCubes together that caused the missing effects on the Wii version.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The games still hold up incredibly well.

Bare minimum 1080p docked/720p handheld is obviously a requirement. 60FPS would be nice too.

On top of that at least the HUD needs to be updated to HD textures. Character and boss textures should follow, then enemies. If the rest of the game has updated textures then that would be an awesome bonus, but it isn't as necessary.

Updated particle effects would be great, particularly related to Samus's arm cannon. Others could be updated as well, but again not necessary.

Lastly the lighting could see a boost.

If they just made it 1080p/60fps with updated HUD and character textures I would be happy. If they revamped all the textures updated the lighting and particle effects, and it was all 1080p 60fps I would be absolutely ecstatic.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
The controls are the biggest question.

I can see three possible options:
  1. GameCube-style controls (handheld or docked)
  2. Wii-style controls (docked only)
  3. Dual-analog with gyro style controls, which is what I assume Metroid Prime 4 will use.
Ideally, we should be able to choose which one we prefer. But Nintendo isn't exactly known for control options in most games, so I assume it'll control however Metroid Prime 4 will.

The games still hold up incredibly well.

Bare minimum 1080p docked/720p handheld is obviously a requirement. 60FPS would be nice too.
60fps is a given considering the games always ran at 60.

Last edited:

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
They definitly need a non-motion control scheme for all games, if this even exists, or else if wouldnt even work in Handheld mode.
And I don't think Nintendo would release a game that only works docked.
If its new dual stick controls for all games or just the old MP1/2 controls.
Although I don't think they would force either of them on you.
Looking at Federation Force it had both old style tank controls and dual stick if you had a Circle Pad Pro or a New 3DS.
But that could even be just because not all 3DSs have second stick.
Maybe they would have ditched them altogether otherwise.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It exists. But it isn't going to go how you think. It is actually a port of the Trilogy for the 3DS just like the first Luigi's Mansion and Xenoblade.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They'll be a minimal effort port. It would be a large effort to remake them, and I doubt that would offer a huge sales boost over simply porting them with basic HD resolution treatment.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not buying Prime 4 if the Trilogy doesn't get released for Switch. People like me have not played them. I don't care what bells and whistles they do to it just release it.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
1 and 2 should be easy to port but 3 would probably need some rework on the controls. I think the analog/gyro combination works really well in Switch shooters. I think that could work better instead of full gyro with no pointer.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect it might get the Twilight Princess HD treatment. If so, I hope it's actually better than TPHD as that was missing effects, the reworked textures were kinda lack luster, and graphics lacked anti aliasing.

So I guess what I hope for is more along the lines of a Bluepoint type of thing.
Here's what I'd like to see in docked mode:
- Updated textures
- 1080p
- 5.1 or higher discrete Surround Sound
- 60fps
- Anisotropic filtering (8x at least)
- MSAA (4x at least)

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess it's not the Trilogy but rather the first game remastered in HD a la Twilight Princess. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it's even made by Tantalus.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I don't believe in metroid prome trilogy coming to the switch. The trouble of porting these games is going to be monstrous.

It's not about the graphics, it's the controls. I don't think switch is capable of emulating point controls that easily.

Serious question: Have there been any games that shown it can? In particular, any FPS with good pointer controls?

Splatoon 2 isn't a thing? TWEWY Final Mix? Captain Toad? All of these utilize the gyro functionality to have a cursor/reticle on the screen. Appropriate adjustments will likely be made for handheld play (read: more waggle probably).

DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 also have pointer options (I've played neither but hear they're great).

Last edited:

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Splatoon 2 isn't a thing? TWEWY Final Mix? Captain Toad? All of these utilize the gyro functionality to have a cursor/reticle on the screen. Appropriate adjustments will likely be made for handheld play (read: more waggle probably).

DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 also have pointer options (I've played neither but hear they're great).
Gyro aiming is not pointer controls. People have explained this here (neogaf at the time) when skyward sword was released. Pointer controls are almost playing with mouse.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Gyro aiming is not pointer controls. People have explained this here (neogaf at the time) when skyward sword was released. Pointer controls are almost playing with mouse.

Yea but your OP was asking if the Switch can properly emulate pointer controls.

Gyro motion works perfectly fine for the same purpose in DOOM, Wolfenstein, and Fortnite, it should be just as suitable for MPT.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a Prime Trilogy+. Base Prime Trilogy content, 1080P, GCN controller support, gyro for all, and anything extra they want to throw in. I'd love some nods to older games in the series via art or anything else.

I think it releases first half of 2019. And yeah, I think it's real and releasing as a reintroduction to Prime before Prime 4 hits.

Nov 23, 2017
I'm not buying Prime 4 if the Trilogy doesn't get released for Switch. People like me have not played them. I don't care what bells and whistles they do to it just release it.
What if I told you Prime 4 probably isn't going to actually be Prime "4" storywise, nor require the first three games to be played to enjoy it fully?

On topic it will be more like TPHD. No way will it be like WWHD: that was only made so Aonuma (recall he himself lead the project) and the botw team could learn HD development.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
A) To what extent do you feel the games will be ported or remade? Direct GCN/Wii assets and content, rendering resolution now a native 1080p docked 720p portable? Or something more substantial, not unlike Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for Wii U? Or a total, comprehensive visual overhaul like Bluepoint's work?

I just hope it looks good! The best would be substantial remake / remaster. Semething like Ocarina of Time N64 to Ocarina of Time 3DS

B) When do you believe it is likely to release, and relative to that, what is your projection for Prime 4?

I think Metroid Prime 4 will come out in 2020. "Proper" announcement at E3 2019. UNLESS they rebooted the development due to some pressure of some stupid industry trends.

C) Do you believe it to exist, and if so, when do you feel it will be revealed?

Metroid Prome Trilogy Switch is gonna be annunced in 2019 and release in 2019 I think (well, I wish).

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
1080p and a texture rework should be good, I think.
Wouldn't be a mere port but also far from being a remaster. Basically Twilight Princess HD.

I think some people are understimating the work required to overhaul the graphics of all of the games. Especially for something that's basically "here are the first three, please continue with 4 in 2020"

Ideally yes, full remasters would be the perfect way to bring those games back but I doubt Nintendo is willing to invest money and development time for such task.

For now I'm gonna stick with my first statement just to be on the safe side. 1080p res bump with improved texture work. If they do more than that it'd be really awesome.

Last edited:

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
[QUOTE="Naner, post: 16208411, member: 14431"Wii-style controls (docked only)[/QUOTE]

Why docked only? Why not also on tabletop mode?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting the Wii's motion controls would be impossible/extremely difficult to emulate with the joycons. I imagine they'd attempt to give the games more conventional FPS controls with gyro support.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I'd be happy with the games running like they currently are on Dolphin at 1080p. Maybe a little tidying up here and there.

The interesting thing will be the controls though.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of talking about it in hypotheticals.

I just want to know that it's happening.

This isn't threadwhining. It's "I want Metroid dammit" whining.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll just be 1080/720 ports, and honestly that's all I want, assuming it even happens. It's insanity if it doesn't happen, especially around the time the hype for the new game starts picking up, but Nintendo sometimes makes odd decisions. For example, the HD versions of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are still MIA on Switch, and we know they'd be easy money, and how bout finding a way to port all of those beautiful new assets and textures for the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask remakes to Switch? How about Mario Maker for Switch, has there ever been a game so wonderfully suited to the console? You know, and I know, that all five of those games would drink straight cash if they were ported to Switch, and yet they haven't been yet, and there's no indication they're on the way, so I'm not gonna get my hopes up for a potential Prime trilogy. I really hope I'm wrong though, as Prime 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, and it's aged like a fine wine too.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
A) I would like a graphical overall with more shaders on scenery but I only expect an improved lighting like ww.

I played the trilogy with 360 controller long time ago and the motion emulation was no big deal.

If I remember correctly, aside from the waggle jump in morph ball and grapple on target, other motions are used like qte with automated character and camera, and so can be attribued to most command without compromising the gameplay.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-More geometry and better textures, for those who think that they will simply upgrade the games to 1080p... remember that the artstyle is more realistic than other Nintendo games and that the geometry from the games will look really bad today.
-New lighting
-Different control options

I really want them to offer the option to play with the GC controller though.
Twilight princess was pretty much like that and according to dolphin MP aged much better

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I would love a lighting/texture/graphics overhaul in the vein of Wind Waker, but I would also be happy with just adjusting resolution, framerate and 16:9 graphics. The most important part of Metroid Prime imo is the music, the graphics were absolutely fine as they were, even for porting it today.