• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Okay guys, quick (dumb), hypothetical question.

Let's say Demon Souls remake exists and is launching as a PS5 launch title exclusive. The game itself is a faithful remake in the veins of SOTC and it looks great and that's super exciting.

That being said, the only big benefit it has being on a PS5 is higher res/frame rate/texture quality and blazing fast load times.

In this hypothetical situation, is Sony being anti-consumer for not also releasing the game on PS4?

Of course if the game truly has industry pushing graphics and looks like something the PS4 could never handle, then I have no qualms with it being an exclusive, hell I would hope for it.
My doubt for that comes in that it's a remake of an older but not too old game, and that it's a Soulsborne game, which are never really graphical powerhouses.

This isn't an attack Sony post btw. I understand why they would want the game as an exclusive, even if it could run on the previous hardware. Hell if this game exists than it's my primary motivation for picking up a PS5 at launch. I'm just curious how others feel or think about the situation.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'm not being sarcastic here and I know the words "anti-consumer" are taboo to many people.

But I really do think it's in at least part, well, bad for the consumer, that they would be abandoning an audience of over 100 million customers.
Ugh I'm wording this terribly.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, there's nothing anti-consumer about it.

I do wish it was also available on the PS4, and I'm not buying a PS5 for a remake, no matter how well done it is, but there's nothing anti-consumer about it.

SotC wasn't faithful enough for me, though, so I doubt I'll ever consider Demon's Souls to be faithful. :P

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Here we go again. "Anti- consumer" 🙄

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Is Sony Anti-consumer for not releasing the game on PS2, PSP, PS Vita, Switch, and the little LCD display on my fridge? They could surely handle it.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Let the free market decide what is anti-consumer. We have a voice with our wallets on whether or not to make their products a success. And if their intention is to try to get people to buy PS5 by putting exclusives on it then that seems........reasonable?

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I'm not being sarcastic here and I know the words "anti-consumer" are taboo to many people.

But I really do think it's in at least part, well, bad for the consumer, that they would be abandoning an audience of over 100 million customers.
It's a really stretched definition of "anti-consumer".

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think sony is anti consumer for not releasing games on the Wii U.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would much rather it be released on both at the very least so the playerbase is bigger but also so more people can experience the game, if there is a good reason it can't be on PS4 then that's just how it goes, it's not like people are entitled to it but they are entitled to feel disappointed if they can't play it I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to just be graphical. There can be reworks for systems in Demon's Souls that require PS5.

I think Bluepoint will be doing quite a bit to change things just for PS5.

Even if they don't, your question is silly.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think I knew what Anti-consumer meant but these past few weeks have me questioning it cause just about everything seems anti-consumer to some of you.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Push Square looking at this thread right now and thinking to itself...

giphy.gif

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
No, there is nothing wrong with developing games specifically for new hardware. Nor is there anything wrong with a cross-gen approach. There are valid reasons for each.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Sony just can't win here. If they make exclusive games for PS5 they're "anti-consumer". If there games are multi-plat, then PS5 has no games.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
No? lol. I do wish they would also remaster the original to PS4/5 but it is what it is. Also Bluepoint has said whatever game they are making is a re-imagining so it wouldn't be a fully faithful remake anyway.

I fully expect the final Archstone to be fixed or fixable so you can go in.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay guys, quick (dumb), hypothetical question.

Let's say Demon Souls remake exists and is launching as a PS5 launch title exclusive. The game itself is a faithful remake in the veins of SOTC and it looks great and that's super exciting.

That being said, the only big benefit it has being on a PS5 is higher res/frame rate/texture quality and blazing fast load times.

In this hypothetical situation, is Sony being anti-consumer for not also releasing the game on PS4?
No. And Demon's Soul will be a remake (re-imagination) and not only a remaster with better res, textures and framerate.
People really need to stop with the "I don't like thing = anti-consumer" bullshit. These days "anti-consumer" means nothing anymore, because a certain group of people in the gaming community are using it for whatever they don't like.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i'm only concerned about the boss of the tower of latria (sp), you gotta get that one right again sonies

for real, my favorite fight since maybe psycho mantis - shit was brilliant

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017

Abandoning is leaving a baby kitten on the side of the road. Sony's treatment of the PS4 user base is anything but.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

How are they abandoning if this year they will launch a lot of exclusive to PS4?Sony has been releasing a lot of exclusives every year this gen and has almost every year a GOTY contender,so they feed pretty well their audience,now it is time for a new gen.And I said that as someone who will not get a new console so soon.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
No.

No? lol. I do wish they would also remaster the original to PS4/5 but it is what it is. Also Bluepoint has said whatever game they are making is a reimagining so it wouldn't be a fully faithful remake anyway.

I fully expect the final Archstone to be fixed or fixable so you can go in.

They called the SoTC Remake a "reimagining" too.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christ this forum and the misuse of the term anti-consumer. Next people will be claiming they're anti-consumer for charging people for games.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
There was a meeting or something where people decided to strip the word 'anti-consumer" of any meaning and I wasn't invited, or what happened?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How does Sony dare to release exclusive games on their new console... those bastards.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Looking at the responses, it looks like I'm in a heavy minority with this thought.

Sony's support for the PS4 has been great, especially this year with two titles they could easily have pushed to next gen.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me, but it is business (and good business at that, demon souls at launch would be huge).

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Can people fucking learn what anti consumer actually is before they write a post.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Christ this forum and the misuse of the term anti-consumer. Next people will be claiming they're anti-consumer for charging people for games.
I get the disingenuous responses coming here. But really?

You really think that's what I meant or what I mean? Am I this so called "people" that will claim such things?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Looking at the responses, it looks like I'm in a heavy minority with this thought.

Sony's support for the PS4 has been great, especially this year with two titles they could easily have pushed to next gen.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me, but it is business (and good business at that, demon souls at launch would be huge).

If launching new technology and supporting it with software is "anti-consumer", under what circumstances could new technology ever be justified?

If you say games should launch on both platforms, okay. But what would you say if someone said it was "anti-consumer" that their new investment is not being supported by its manufacturer?

Do you see how you can cut this as "anti-consumer" from a bunch of different ways and how none of them are?

Status
Not open for further replies.