• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo: Relive the events of the calamity

...NOT

*counts Animal Crossing cash*

Starting the rumor now that BotW2 takes place after this game's timeline and not the original BotW.
Or maybe in BotW2 there's a light world/dark world dynamic but you're traveling between the two timelines :-o

Xingularity

Aug 31, 2020
Based on what I saw:

Hestu - Summons Koroks around to help him attack, as well as using his Maracas to fight

Riju - Slides around with Patricia. Heard someone mentioned that she summons guards too but I didn't quite catch that

Teba - His ZR has him firing powerful shots instead. He seems to be not as quick as Revali, as well as seemingly not having the other types of arrows with him (I mostly see him with regular and bomb arrows, idk if that's the case for Revali too. Either way, they play different from each other)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Last note that was hilarious to see is watching her attack mid air swinging the seal around to do damage.
This game

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Based on what I saw:

Hestu - Summons Koroks around to help him attack, as well as using his Maracas to fight

Riju - Slides around with Patricia. Heard someone mentioned that she summons guards too but I didn't quite catch that

Teba - His ZR has him firing powerful shots instead. He seems to be not as quick as Revali, as well as seemingly not having the other types of arrows with him (I mostly see him with regular and bomb arrows, idk if that's the case for Revali too. Either way, they play different from each other)
I've only seen Revali use bomb and regular arrows too. But maybe both unlock and use others in combos. It does seem like Teba and Yunobo will probably be a lot more similar to their respective Champions than Riju or Sidon (though Sidon may also end up being pretty close, even with the extra spear).

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Nintendo: Relive the events of the calamity

...NOT

*counts Animal Crossing cash*

Starting the rumor now that BotW2 takes place after this game's timeline and not the original BotW.

Yea no, they wouldn't invest that much money on MP4 if they didn't care about the audience that took off the Switch from the start.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Everything sounds great to me. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone is getting mad at any of the shenanigans in the story, or caring the much about the Zelda story to begin with... to the point where some people are even saying they no longer have interest in even playing the game.
It's Musou. I don't get the rage. Yeah, marketing was vague or contradictory. But it's marketing. It's usually hyped up shit anyways. Come on now.
Maybe try this thing called... empathy?

This was sold on the supposition that it'd flesh out a tragic story, which is a first for both Zelda and a musou. That sounded ambitious and exciting for people.

Instead, we're getting something that squashes that possibility. You really can't understand why someone might be disappointed?

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

This was sold on the supposition that it'd flesh out a tragic story, which is a first for both Zelda and a musou. That sounded ambitious and exciting for people.

Instead, we're getting something that squashes that possibility. You really can't understand why someone might be disappointed?
It's disappointing, but some folks are being a little silly with the "false advertising" stuff. If the goal was to mislead then they really fucked up by releasing that demo. Not to mention that we all knew something was up right from the start with the little egg guardian around.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
I don't know why people think BOTW2 would take place in the timeline of a third party spinoff rather than the mainline game that it is explicitly stated to be a sequel to.

(And before anyone says it, AOC was never actually called a "prequel" by Nintendo. That's different from how they actually called BOTW2 "the sequel".)

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Empathy? Are you kidding me? This is a video game, first of all. Second, the game isn't out yet, so it isn't a case of buying a product and feeling betrayed after playing it - nobody here has played it yet. Third, nobody here has played it yet, so they're upset about something that isn't even a sure thing yet. Fourth, this is Hyrule Warriors, a Musou game - so nobody knew what to expect from the story, but it would probably be silly given the long track record. Fifth, a Zelda game is never going to have a tragic ending. It's not happening, it has never happened, and people were kidding themselves if they thought otherwise. Sixth, buying into marketing hype and then finding out marketing hype is hype and getting upset is silly.

I'll save my empathy for causes that matter, not people disliking the story of a fucking video game that they haven't played yet. Get off your high horse.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Empathy? Are you kidding me? This is a video game, first of all. Second, the game isn't out yet, so it isn't a case of buying a product and feeling betrayed after playing it - nobody here has played it yet. Third, nobody here has played it yet, so they're upset about something that isn't even a sure thing yet. Fourth, this is Hyrule Warriors, a Musou game - so nobody knew what to expect from the story, but it would probably be silly given the long track record. Fifth, a Zelda game is never going to have a tragic ending. It's not happening, it has never happened, and people were kidding themselves if they thought otherwise. Sixth, buying into marketing hype and then finding out marketing hype is hype and getting upset is silly.

I'll save my empathy for causes that matter, not people disliking the story of a fucking video game that they haven't played yet. Get off your high horse.
This might sound crazy, but you can have empathy (definition: the ability to understand and share the feelings of another) for the dumb shit people care about as well as the big causes of life.

Which I'd figure you're capable of, since you care enough to post on a meaningless video game forum instead of protesting in the streets right now.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Can everyone just get along

This Friday we get to play Riju Seal-Surfing Simulator 2020, yet some of you still find ways to be miserable

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people think BOTW2 would take place in the timeline of a third party spinoff rather than the mainline game that it is explicitly stated to be a sequel to.

(And before anyone says it, AOC was never actually called a "prequel" by Nintendo. That's different from how they actually called BOTW2 "the sequel".)

Exactly, lol.

The fact that AOC isn't even being published in Japan by Nintendo (just like the other Nintendo Warriors games) was already a warning sign that this game prolly was never gonna be canon.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Same, lol. FF7R was glorious, both the game itself and the white-hot controversy it created. The Zelda fandom is going to tear itself apart once AoC comes out. Get the popcorn ready!

Also, this is totally canon. The publisher in Japan has nothing to do with whether it's canon. It starts in the BotW timeline and branches out to a separate timeline. Whether it will influence BotW2, tho, who knows.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only downside i have, is that i'm going to have to tell my friend that he needs to play BOTW before playing this (him and his gf are going through zelda titles right now, he's finished WW/LA and is now on TP)

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna dig into this thread because while I don't mind story spoilers for zelda, character unlocks and mechanics I rather keep secret - all I really want to know is, does the full retail game perform like the demo? Or is it hopefully better?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna dig into this thread because while I don't mind story spoilers for zelda, character unlocks and mechanics I rather keep secret - all I really want to know is, does the full retail game perform like the demo? Or is it hopefully better?
There will be reviews tomorrow. We might get a better answer then

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
There's a lot of interesting and subversive things you can do by messing with canon but to me taking a tragic plot people were excited to learn more about and turning it into a typical fanservice-y crossover plot where everyone lives happily ever after is far from that.

Game still looks fun as heck but watching the past storyline play out and seeing how they incorporated the tragic ending into it was the thing I was most looking forward to from it

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Same, lol. FF7R was glorious, both the game itself and the white-hot controversy it created. The Zelda fandom is going to tear itself apart once AoC comes out. Get the popcorn ready!

Also, this is totally canon. The publisher in Japan has nothing to do with whether it's canon. It starts in the BotW timeline and branches out to a separate timeline. Whether it will influence BotW2, tho, who knows.

FF7R's ending managed to make me entirely uninterested in a remake to my favourite FF game. Man fuck that ending.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
This thread is like: "This is a musou, it was always gonna be silly and story is irrelevant, how could anyone expect a canon prequel"

"But also what if the entire purpose of this musou is to be a canon setup to the sequel"

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
FF7R's ending managed to make me entirely uninterested in a remake to my favourite FF game. Man fuck that ending.
It elevated the story to something amazing for me. The fact FF7R is actually a sequel rather than a remake, and one where maybe they can alter fate, has me incredibly excited to see what Part 2 does. :)

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I think when people ask "Is this canon?" what they're really asking is: "Will the events of this game factor into BotW2?"

It's too early to know for sure, but if I had to guess right now, I would guess no. I think it would be too weird for the people who skipped this game. They would finish BotW1, then start playing BotW2 and suddenly everything is different. My guess is that Nintendo wouldn't go for that.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

This is 0% canon (or, no more canon than Linkle and Cia). Nothing that happens in AoC that wasn't previously mentioned in another Zelda game will never be referenced outside of a Hyrule Warriors game ever again.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is 0% canon (or, no more canon than Linkle and Cia). Nothing that happens in AoC that wasn't previously mentioned in another Zelda game will never be referenced outside of a Hyrule Warriors game ever again.
The difference is that what happens in AoC is based heavily on what happens in BotW. It's tied to BotW's world and history and can be placed in a timeline, branching or not. Things happen in this game that are directly mentioned or shown in BotW. It is absolutely greater than 0% canon whether you like it or not.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's canon. AoC literally branches out of BotW's Calamity into a parallel timeline.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
Don't plan on buying this game. Could anyone summarize the story for me? I just want to know what the hubbub is about. I've heard vague details but nothing concrete

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The difference is that what happens in AoC is based heavily on what happens in BotW. It's tied to BotW's world and history and can be placed in a timeline, branching or not. Things happen in this game that are directly mentioned or shown in BotW. It is absolutely greater than 0% canon whether you like it or not.
It's canon. AoC literally branches out of BotW's Calamity into a parallel timeline.
What? That doesn't make it canon.

It's so not canon that it is going to end with the future champions having their memory of AoC wiped for "reasons" the same as every other non-canon crossover in media history lol.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
There's an interesting discussion here to be had on story telling and the nature of "canon". On one hand if a story is set in this world then it should be automatically canon regardless of whether is contradicts previous information or not. Especially if the creator's say that it is. On the other hand, if new information from this game is never referenced by newer games or is even contradicted by other games then it's canonicity doesn't really matter. Like, if this game has a happy ending that BotW and BotW 2 both say did not happen then the game isn't actually any different from a non-canon game in it's impact on the story.

I guess this is a long way of saying that canon is just a made up term that doesn't really mean anything.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honest to god this thread could be a contender for flame war theater at this point. The amount of hyperbole thrown around has been astounding

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
There's an interesting discussion here to be had on story telling and the nature of "canon". On one hand if a story is set in this world then it should be automatically canon regardless of whether is contradicts previous information or not. Especially if the creator's say that it is. On the other hand, if new information from this game is never referenced by newer games or is even contradicted by other games then it's canonicity doesn't really matter. Like, if this game has a happy ending that BotW and BotW 2 both say did not happen then the game isn't actually any different from a non-canon game in it's impact on the story.

I guess this is a long way of saying that canon is just a made up term that doesn't really mean anything.
Yeah I feel that too. I just think that even if they change things they're working within the framework of BotW's story. Especially in a series like Zelda, where games can be in separate timelines from eachother and all be considered canon, it's weird to say AoC is not canon whatsoever when you can pinpoint when it takes place and similar events play out.

Hyrule Warriors 1 has no timeline pinpointed and the events that occur have no relation to any game, comparing AoC to that and putting it in the same boat is just wrong

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

The idea is this game occupies a separate but still canonical timeline. Think Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. TWW is in a timeline with a "bad ending" where Hyrule flooded. TP is in a timeline with a "good ending" where there was no flood. Both timelines are offshoots of OoT. Both are canon. Likewise, here in AoC, AoC starts in BotW's past but then branches into a separate timeline where things can follow a different track.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The idea is this game occupies a separate but still canonical timeline. Think Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. TWW is in a timeline with a "bad ending" where Hyrule flooded. TP is in a timeline with a "good ending" where there was no flood. Both timelines are offshoots of OoT. Both are canon. Likewise, here in AoC, AoC starts in BotW's past but then branches into a separate timeline where things can follow a different track.
Yeah even if they don't capitalize on it and make a game that continues AoC's ending, it's still the same case

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
nu star wars freed me from the idea of canon lol

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
nu star wars freed me from the idea of canon lol
It's a weird concept. I never took it seriously. Anything that has an implied place and time it's relevant, other timeline or not. It's too strictly applied and not really that deep. The things that aren't canon are ones that don't try to be in the first place like HW1 or Smash.