• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
WARNING: OPEN SPOILERS. LEAVE IF YOU DO NOT WANT THEM

This is kinda filling up the demo thread, so I thought we'd get out of their hair and have a place to talk openly.

SPOILER_1603908632139.png

These icons have been found, indicating a base roster of

Link
Impa
Zelda
Urbosa
Mipha
Revali
Daruk
King Rhoam
Hestu
Riju
Sidon
Teba
Yunobo
Great Fairy
Master Kohga
A Monk
Mini Guardian
Ganon

Thus, Purah, Robbie, Dorephan and the new Yiga villain as well as the new mysterious hooded figure do not seem to be playable in the base game.

Of course, these are just character icons. So keep that in mind

The demo indicated that time travel is in the game because the mini guardian comes from the future. This, coupled with the future champions seemingly included, makes things interesting (and for me, worrying)

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Will be interesting to see how the get the future champions into the pre-calamity timeline.
Especially if the tapestry is to show what is to come with 2 champions per divine beast

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The future Champions are probably gonna be a post-story/epilogue sort of deal, maybe set in the present day.

Given that the Zelda team is writing this story, I'm not expecting anything TOO out-there.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
these are just character icons, they could mean different things, but they're all grouped together
I'd say everyone up to Maz is likely it's just those last two where things get iffy.
Especially since excluding those 2 would put us to base hw(with month 1 update) 16 playable characters

Also yeah can't rule out Purah, Robbie, Yiga lueitenant, Dorephan and the new villain as dlc free or otherwise

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The future Champions are probably gonna be a post-story/epilogue sort of deal, maybe set in the present day.

Given that the Zelda team is writing this story, I'm not expecting anything TOO out-there.
Yup that's where I lean, give a full canon ending for BOTW to setup BOTW 2 since in game has a few paths

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Sidon, Yunobo, Teba and Riju definitely won't be part of the main campaign; they'll either be part of epilogue chapters or just unlockable and available to use in other modes.

I don't think the Egg Guardian or Ganon will be playable despite having icons, but we'll see.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also I'm calling it now

Botw2 is the same map twice

it will have the original map serve as a dark world version to a saved and perfectly intact Hyrule

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
A few missing characters I would have liked but a solid roster nonetheless. No Purah and Robbie would be disappointing after them already showing up

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Ganon gameplay where you kill thousand of hylian soldiers, well we kinda had that in the first Hyrule Warriors and the Divine Beast are playable so it makes sense lol

Also I wonder what kind of DLC we'll get, if the future champion are already in the base game.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
Would be an interesting twist if the new Yiga badguy with the two swords is Ganondorf in disguise

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Sidon, Yunobo, Teba and Riju definitely won't be part of the main campaign; they'll either be part of epilogue chapters or just unlockable and available to use in other modes.

I don't think the Egg Guardian or Ganon will be playable despite having icons, but we'll see.
i have to wonder how they're handling that this time around. it seems like they're putting all the adventure mode stuff into the main campaign this time so if there's extra content they'd have to reset it at some point or jump forward in time

it'll be interesting to see either way

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Phendrift you might want to thread Mark this, I'm about to cover why these are important

Ok guys so here's why this is important, that's a full sheet of the mission map for the game, why this important is that character heads are ONLY used for missions that unlock health, extra combo moves or items explicitly for that character, and it's possible they could be used for the unlock missions of non story characters. Every other function on the map has a generic icon for that purpose(single sword for side missions, horse head is the trading post, cooking pot is recipes, etc). Biggest reassurance is Hetsu has a character icon and the maracas for a general shop icon for the map. So all these icons are for playable characters, them being in order and at the beginning being the biggest tell.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Sad at no Purah and Robbie but I was half expecting them to be unplayable. Totally DLC though.

And I share your concerns re: young Champions and time travelling.

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
Teba and Yunobo might be clones a la Fire Emblem Warriors as it would be easy to do so, but Riju and Sidon have very different body types from Urbosa and Mipha, so I'm hopeful for some differences in all of them.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Purah, Robbie, and the two new villains might be DLC like Volga, Wizzro and Cia were in the original HW, which I'd be fine with.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm alright with Purrah and Robbie not being playable--I'm not sure they'd play all that differently from Zelda.

I'm fucking sick of the "it's not actually a prequel" bullshit just because there's slight time travel in the game.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm alright with Purrah and Robbie not being playable--I'm not sure they'd play all that differently from Zelda.

I'm fucking sick of the "it's not actually a prequel" bullshit just because there's slight time travel in the game.
there's already a divergent history in the first chapter of the game once the tower pops up

like, it's probably still largely a prequel story, but they're bending the rules a lot and in the second map you already see stuff changing

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Lol everyone really only remembers Sidon among the New Guardians in BOTW.
Riju and Sidon were definitely the best. Teba and Yunobo could've used worked. In general though, like the champions in BotW, they all deserved more screen time.

So on one hand I'm happy to get that, on the other I hope they don't fuck with the story and time travel them back.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Hell yeah! Freaking Ganon!! That's what I wanted to see.

I just caught up with the partner Direct and after seeing playable Divine Beasts and now GANON... I'm all in!

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017

Well in the Demo
they introduce time travel
so all bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
If Ganondorf is involved in this story, holy shit. I'm really glad to see the time travel fuckery, as most everyone thought they knew the end of this story. It's nice to see that what we think we know just went right out the window.