• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29806

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
One question I was asked on my first trip to the US 30 years ago was "Do you have refrigerators in Germany". Yes, we have them by now.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
How do you feel about ampelmann? Is it popular mostly with tourists? I saw a video about an ampelmann souvenir shop. I'd go there if I visit Germany :x

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I'm 100% ignorant so forgive me

How much is your country still affected by WWII/Cold War?

What regional/national cuisine/music/art do you think represents your culture well?

Are contractions as big a thing in your language as I hear?

OP
OP

Deleted member 29806

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I'm 100% ignorant so forgive me

How much is your country still affected by WWII/Cold War?

What regional/national cuisine/music/art do you think represents your culture well?

Are contractions as big a thing in your language as I hear?

We are affected by WWIi, not so much by cold war. For instance many Germans find it strange if people use swastikas mindlessly in other countries.

When it comes to food Germany is a country of Gyros, Pizza and Döner. People eat that Bavarian stuff or Schweinsmagen too, but a large percentage of food is "foreign". I don't like German music that much but there is a lot of excellent stuff from different genres, maybe someone else can help out.

There are many strange things in German language, like "umfahren" can mean both avoiding and hitting stuff. I wouldn't like to learn German as a foreign language.

Deleted member 25709

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are you going to commit to saving the planet by taking the free public transit your country now offers whenever you travel?

Edit: will soon offer*

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
What's your favourite and least favourite accents in German? Both from native speakers and foreigners.

Can you speak any local dialect or just standard German?

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Were you there when DSS Agent Luke Hobbs and the rest of the Fast Fam went to Berlin to retrieve an EMP device from the military outpost?

OP
OP

Deleted member 29806

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
What's your favourite and least favourite accents in German? Both from native speakers and foreigners.
Worst: Bavarian, Saxonia is strange too
Like: Hamburg, also some are kinda funny like Hessisch

Don't think they are called accents, foreign accents I hate are french and sometimes US, no special preference for any other countries, scandinavian are usually quite nice.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the fastest you have driven on the autobahn and what car was it

I drove ~250 kmh (~150 mph?) in a rental BMW M3 years ago that was fucking awesome

Ninja

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a lot of fake news in Germany? I heard that and tabloids are out of control over there.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
What's going to happen in the World Cup group Germany is in? Which team do you think will fight the hardest?

OP
OP

Deleted member 29806

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Is there a lot of fake news in Germany? I heard that and tabloids are out of control over there.
The "Bild" and other like it are bad, but I won't call it fake news, just very "colored". I think newspapers TV-News are very good overall.

I find the rise of something like urban legends much more dangerous where immigrants are said to do unbelievable things, but never ever there is any evidence.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29806

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
What's going to happen in the World Cup group Germany is in? Which team do you think will fight the hardest?
Sorry, I hate soccer, think they are all overpaid pussies. Hearing how they lament in interviews about "Think it was not our best day" I think any US basketball player would be fired like that exact day.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Why was the second 50 Shades of Grey movie the 4th most successful movie in Germany last year?

Alternate question: What the hell is wrong with this us?

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "Bild" and other like it are bad, but I won't call it fake news, just very "colored". I think newspapers TV-News are very good overall.

I find the rise of something like urban legends much more dangerous where immigrants are said to do unbelievable things, but never ever there is any evidence.

Yeah, I'm not sure actual fake news exist to the extent in Europe as in America, where you have Fox News and such just outright lying and making shit up. Sure, you'll get VERY slanted reporting from some publications, but at least here in Sweden there's nothing like Fox, at least not on a major network.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29806

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
What are the gun culture and laws like in Germany? How are guns viewed?
There is no huge gun culture. There a lots of people who like and own guns, but laws are very strict, especially how you better not let your gun get in anybody elses hand. The US gun culture is beyond what most people can understand.

There are hunters, gun collectors and even some gun nuts, but as it is regulated well it is no problem, and even if most people I know loathe guns, there is not much of an extreme opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.