• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What games do you prefer?

• AAA <Michael Bay’s explosion>

Votes: 662 56.2%
  • AA

Votes: 288 24.5%
  • Indie

Votes: 227 19.3%

• Total voters

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Problem with AAA nowadays is that everything is a grind and derivative. Maybe it's always been like that. Maybe it's more that I'm tired of it. I still mostly play AAA

My problem is that it feels like you can't ever finish them. I love games like GOW that just ends and that's it.

AC: Odyssey has 3 campaigns, 2 huge DLC's and a thousand other activities and timed quests.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I had trouble picking between Indie and AA, but I knew for sure the choice wasn't going to be AAA. The only AAA studio I care for anymore is CDPR, though if Bethesda can get its head out of its ass promoting their GaaS shite and get back to making good single player systematic games, that'd be great.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Considering the top games on the GOTY lists here, most people's favorite games every year are AAA games.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I play a ton of indies and AA but at the end of the day, when it's time to summarize the year or gen with a top 10, 20 or 30 then it will be dominated by Capcom, Sony, Nintendo, Bethesda and such. AAA games are often the absolute best in my book.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
With limited gaming time, I mostly focus on the big AAA games. Once in a while, we get a little gem of an indie game which I happily slot between the big ones. I mostly prefer story led AAA games around the 10-15hr mark rather than big open world 100+hr games.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
As long as i dig the look of certain game - i'll play it. Doesn't matter if is AA, AAA, Indie. Last year i did played more indies, while in 2019 mostly AAA.

I do wish we get more shorter and linear AAA games though. Re2 was so good - perfectly paced and highly replayable. I was exhausted after finished Death Stranding last month and would never replay it. Sold my copy.

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah I find the majority of AAA games to be shallow experiences that prioritize high production values and story over compelling and fun gameplay

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I used to hoover up AAAs constantly, but my tastes have changed drastically in recent years. I'm still there for a few big games, but otherwise I'm happy playing other stuff.

Since buying my Switch in 2017 (near launch), I've probably bought 5/6 games for my PS4 and XBO combined.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I tried The Outer Worlds saying "yeah, most gamers sucks, just because a game is AA doesnt mean it has less to offer than a AAA, theres no way a game can get me bored just because it looks and plays like something from 2010"
i got bored after the first planet, the dialogue and characters were good, but i dont know... on the other hand im finally playing Gears 5 and while the dialogue is dumb half the time, i enjoy every single cutscene or automatic gameplay (you know, transitions and all that)
I guess i'm a hypocrite

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Plenty of people here love triple A. Depth isn't for everyone, having something like super nice and kill some time with simple systems always has broader appeal.

it's no different than someone who mostly watches big budget films/Hollywood stuff.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Maybe Era just likes to also talk about other games, not just AAA that seem to make up the bulk of the headlines in gaming news? I prefer most games myself although I am getting tired of the 16-bit indie style of games.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Poll options are a bit silly, OP - I play the games where they are good regardless of the designation the industry or audience has chosen to give them. But those terms quickly fall apart - what is Ori and the Blind Forest for example?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I love the production value of AAA but I hate the game-design a lot of the time. But I never play indies anymore, so I guess I'm like you.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I play mostly AAA games as well, but I also take on the indie games that get lots of praise and fit my tastes, they often work like a nice change of pace.

Oct 30, 2017
My main meal are AAA games with AA and B budget games of 39$.

My snacks are indies.

Love them both and yes I prefer AAA but I cannot live without Indies.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Funny I want AAA games from MS but I'm constantly looking for indies elsewhere. The vast majority are x plat too! I can't explain it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't have anything against AA or below but I don't enjoy those games nearly as much since they're mostly platformers.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
AA is kind of my comfort zone. I enjoy alot of AAA titles but im not focused on it alot. Indies on the other hand i tend to avoid.

RedSeim

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
Not at all.
Indies don't usually draw my attention. I mainly play AAA too. WHy? Because graphical level IS important to me. Graphical fidelity is a almost a must to make me feel any"inmersion".

viral

Oct 25, 2017
The last AAA game I finished was Sekiro, and the next will be probably Elden Ring. I'm pretty much done with bloated by-the-books AAA games (there are exceptions of course), so I mostly play roguelikes nowadays. Just pure fun gameplay without having to sit through a boring story.

Oct 25, 2017
I think most people on this forum think the same as you. I love every style of game, but i do think that AAA is being really conservative and samey nowadays.

Not at all.
Indies don't usually draw my attention. I mainly play AAA too. WHy? Because graphical level IS important to me. Graphical fidelity is a almost a must to make me feel any"inmersion".

Most independent games these days are beatiful.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I mostly play Nintendo games and games with Nintendo DNA in them, so idk where that places me. I guess the majority of Nintendo's output is probably AA aside from Mario/Zelda? I should probably play more indie games but I have low motivation to play stuff I don't own physical copies of and LRG sells out too quickly.

I feel like western AAA games either limit movement too much or have worlds too overwhelmingly big to be enjoyable. There are exceptions but this is how I feel about like over 90% of them. I don't care about innovation but I'm also not really in this for the "wow" factor either, I just want mechanically solid games.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy any good game. I've played both good and bad AAA/AA/indie games.

Budgets don't determine a game's greatness.

If I had to choose one as a preference, I'd probably go with AAA.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in a similar position, but mostly due to lack of time.
The small amount of time I have to spare for gaming, I want 'guaranteed fun'. I've no time to try anything niche.
If you would've asked me that 10y ago, I would probably answer differently.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Generally AAA still make my top favorite games. But that's like 2 games a year. The vast majority of the time I prefer indie or AA. Despite the supreme production values most AAA games feel too alike. After about 5 hours I get bored and want to move onto something more interesting. They also tend to be too damn long period.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
I just love games. Makes no difference to me. This year my favorite games tended to not be AAA (Slay the Spire, Outer Wilds, Grindstone, What the Golf, Disco Elysium), but there's a ton of great AAA stuff too. Game Pass and Apple Arcade have substantially affected what I play recently.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP the fact you left out the option "allof the above" speaks volumes lol.

I can have just as much fun with God of War as I can with Hollow Knight. I don't care about the budget, I care about a good experience.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Considering ERA is an enthusiast forum you're gonna see a lot of talk about indies and AA stuff but pretty much most of the forum plays and loves AAA games. Those games are designed to be the most appealing product.

For me I prefer AA and indies over AAA because I have bad taste in video games and no reasonable publisher would give the devs who cater to me a big budget. :P

That's not to say there are no AAA games I like. God of War 2018 is pretty rad. Do we consider Devil May Cry 5 AAA? oh, Sekiro is AAA, right? Maybe? I don't know what is AAA anymore. I like a lot of games.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I think I pick games based on their genre rather than the amount of budget allocated to them.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
ERA mainly cares about AAA games. They have the most hype and the most discussion.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Nothing wrong with loving AAA, so long as you praise the good and criticize the bad if needed. My preference is AA/III, as it lacks the budgetary restrictions of Indie and the outrageous need for monetization/mass sales of AAA. I also prefer mid-range/star-driven indie movies for the same reasons.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest OTs and gaming threads on this website tend to be for AAA games.

Era just has a lot more discussion about smaller titles than you'd see elsewhere, and even then, it depends on the visibility and platform availability of the "smaller" titles.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
No.

I thought it too at first with how often you see "I don't play AAA games" comment.

Then I notice that most active threads (either news, rumor or OT) are for AAA games. While indie/AA games thread often struggle to get over 100 replies.

Edit : what Crossing Eden and HK47 said.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play more Indie games than non-indie games, though maybe not more time spent on indie games as the AA(A) games I do play tend to be much longer and I spend an absurd amount of time on Pokemon. Barely play any western AAA games though as most of them are filled with monetary transactions that effect enjoyment of the game.

I'm not really sure why you thought you were in the minority. Look at OT lengths and threads made. ERA is definetly focused on AAA games. Not the hyper-mainstream AAA like FIFA, COD, Fortnite, etc. but AAA nonetheless.
I'd say it's a rather prominent gaming forum.
problem is, forums themselves are niche nowadays

Last edited:

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be almost exclusively AAA before this gen. Now I'm about even between all three. Love the big budget stuff still. But I think AA is such a great space.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually do too. I love me some bang for my buck, to go with OP's voting options. ;)

Escaflow

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nothing wrong with that. AAA still means production value, and I value that alot.

But it doesn't necessarily equates to Michael Bay explosions, so I'm not voting :p

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What? Have you seen the GOTY and most anticipated games list in here each year?

There's very little chance for non AAA games to be on the top 10 list, let alone win it. AAA is the most popular games in Era.