• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What games do you prefer?

• AAA <Michael Bay’s explosion>

Votes: 662 56.2%
  • AA

Votes: 288 24.5%
  • Indie

Votes: 227 19.3%

• Total voters
Jan 21, 2019
Yep, that's right, my main focus in gaming is the AAA offering. Just love those blockbuster video games for their production values and wow factor leaving me speechless in front of the TV. But I've noticed that many of you prefer indies or even AA titles for being more innovative and prone to gameplay experiments. I still play them, but don't enjoy them as much as big AAA releases. Am I in the minority on ERA when it comes to gaming taste?
I used to be the same but leaning more towards AA (Japanese stuff like Nier) but then came Hollow Knight and changed everything. Now I play everything that looks interesting no matter what A or indie. Variety is the spice of life, but I totally get AAA being your preference, a Witcher 3 is one hell of an experience.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I still disagree. I would be perfectly content if I were somehow banned from Steam and all of the major console services and had to rely on itch.io for the rest of my life. I would still have a ton of fascinating games to play that would never see mainstream success.

You just keep talking about yourself or your own habits while I'm trying to explain why some people just want to play "AAA" games and the logic behind it.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AAA shooters i avoid like the plague, honestly avoid shooters in general unless they are horror based shooters. I mostly play rpg's, and aside from FF or DQ, those tend to not be AAA.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RE2 and DMC V were amazing AAA games released this year, but most of what I play would be classified as AA or Indie.

I mostly play AAA games with the occasional AA.
I could count indie games I liked this gen on one hand (but then it was an epic love affair, like with Slay the Spire or Night in the Woods).

Is Disco Elysium AA or Indie?

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much only play AAA games, with a few AA games every few years or something. I never touch indie games.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get the logic. I view it as someone who refuses to see a game as anything beyond a paint job.

I take comfort in the spectacle. My time has become more valuable as I've grown older, causing me to gravitate towards games which I can unwind with after a long day of obligations rather than aching to see the medium be reinvented. My main preference falls towards open world action RPGs with a healthy dose of NHL/Madden on the side. With that said, every so often a Hollow Knight or a Risk of Rain 2 catches my eye, but for the most part I gravitate towards AA/AAA because I know they're offering what I want to play with the QoL features I'm looking for at my age.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I like 'em all. But I definitely don't have as much cynicism toward AAA as most here seem to.

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
My tastes are pretty much AAA. Those are typically what interest me because of production values. Although with gamepass I've been playing more indie games than I ever have. Not all the games I play have to be AAA but I do prefer them.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I generally prefer AA games, even if they're kind of a dying breed. I like smallish studios, independent if possible, with a strong creative vision but enough budget to really flesh out their ideas. If I have to choose between a polished experience and a unique one, I'll pick the unique one every time.

But indie games operate in the same space a lot of the time. I just powered through Ape Out via Game Pass and it might be the best executed game of the year - it has a vision, it executes it perfectly, it doesn't overstay its welcome. It doesn't ever hit the same heights of some big budget games, but it doesn't have any of the bloat of compromised or "focus tested" vibe from those games, either.

When it comes to the AAA space I just get bored, frankly. They're too big. I can't think of the last big game I played through to the finish... maybe Super Mario Odyssey?

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I tried getting into indie games and I really just can't take them anymore. AAA will be my main interest going forward.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
nope same. i also usually buy 1-3 AAA games per year is all.

and further i usually dont care about sales. if i buy it, i want it day one and pay full price. if i dont want it, no discount will persuade me.

Terra

May 15, 2019
I mean just look at every game of the year where it's an argument over what game has the best production values. (See the fact that In any prediction thread months ago, it was just assumed that era goty was death strandings to lose simply because it was the most prestige AAA game this year)

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I play anything but I prefer AAA games. They're just better games but indie games are fun too.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
All i care about are triple a games as well as graphics. If its triple A and has nice graphics am in. Keep that indie stuff away from me.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just not really sure why would you specifically limit yourself to "mainly" anything in terms of project budget which can give wildly different results and produce wildly different games despite them all being made with enough money to fit into whatever bracket you prefer.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i doubt more than 5% of anybody here would care for something that wouldn't pass for AAA/AA+

like, your jam would have to be Dwarf Fortress/Eve Online/AVNs ect. or you get all your games from itch.io or something

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
AAA and AA with a bias of time spent towards AA thanks to Paradox grand strategy and the Yakuza series. Although I've spent more time on WoW than anything I'm sure and that's very clearly AAA.

Indies are okay but a lot of those ultra difficult platform games or survival/build games aren't for me.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand the difference between 'AA' and 'indie' games. Are studios like Yager or Focus considered AA? Is the new Terminator game AA or indie?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking out for the best of the best but I'll be honest, aside from Halo it's usually the smaller titles that keep me coming back for a while.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
ERA mainly gushes about games like God of War, Spiderman, Red Dead Redemption, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc.
Last time I check, those are all AAA, so no you're not in the minority here.
In fact, you're in the majority.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I go where the fun and originality is, when possible. nothing inherently wrong with AAA games, they just typically play it safe/by the numbers and most these days are just clones of one another bringing very little new to the table. AA games generally are willing to try a few new things and indies are kind of mixed anywhere between a new take on an old thing or just a weird wild concept altogether. Game length is rarely a priority to me these days as more play time does not equate to fun or quality or anything really, it's so easy to bloat games with filler and it rarely benefits the game. There are too many other games out there to bother with that shit, and many free games these days are very high quality.

I checked indie on the poll because it's honestly what I've enjoyed the most lately. Indie doesn't even mean low quality any more, because you have games like Hollow Knight, Thumper, Superhot, Wargroove, Stardew, and many, many more that, if anything, are higher quality games with fewer bugs - they just don't have sky high budgets for marketing or crazy rendered graphics with buckets of assets. It's always quite weird to me when someone says they prefer one specific branch of the gaming tree rather than evaluate the games individually. But whatever does it for ya!

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Many AAA are some of the most sterile, focus group tested, money grabbing "experiences" imo

Some also feel almost ashamed to be videogames and would rather be the Hollywood knock off they want to be and live in the shadow of an industry they'd rather be in

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
If they're good I'll bite, like Zelda or Grand Theft Auto.

But as of late the amazing games seem to be mostly indies; Rain World, Hollow Knight, Baba is you, Mo: Astray, Children of Morta, Katana Zero etc.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I pretty much only play japanese AAA/AA games. Western games and indies are incredibly boring, imo.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I still like AAA and AA games, i am just more selective in what AAA games i buy(mostly from japan or from a proven western studio i like). western indies i cant really say im interested in but i've been trying to make an active effort to step out of my comfort zone

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I love the snobby replies in this thread making out that all AAA games are dumbed down and derivative, like a huge percent of the best games of all time aren't AAA.

Oct 25, 2017
What? Have you seen the GOTY and most anticipated games list in here each year?

There's very little chance for non AAA games to be on the top 10 list, let alone win it. AAA is the most popular games in Era.

Moreover—and I've been tracking this year to year—the "most anticipated" list at the end of every year tends to be an exceptionally reliable predictor of the following year's GOTY list, give or take a bit of movement up and down a few places, plus the rare breakout like Celeste or the fizzling of a formerly hot property like Ni no Kuni. The highly anticipated games that are known quantities far in advance are not the plucky low-budget affairs.

It's also important to recognize the huge spectrum running from the truly mass-market fare (CoD, FIFA, GTA) to the prestigious big-budget middlebrow (Naughty Dog, Kojima). You'll see a whole range of big mass-audience titles where an established core audience still dominates the conversation (Smash, Pokémon, to some extent Borderlands or Assassin's Creed), so it's hard to pin a category on any of these, but I think we can generally agree that there is some kind of subjective difference between the mega-productions that get attention here and the ones that don't.

I'm personally uninterested in most of these to the point that I never saw enough of a case to pick up a PS4, and have disliked this general direction for the top end of the industry since the PS1/N64 era (even though "AAA" as we term it these days only truly solidified with the PS3/360). I particularly dislike how certain genres or tendencies, including ones I enjoy, have come to dominate the local imagination of what a "core" or "enthusiast" game looks like. There isn't one monolithic thing as a video game culture—more of an agglomeration of countless intersecting subcultures—and there is a certain narrow-mindedness among those who are in denial about this. Around here you see these subcultures collide more often than usual because the forum isn't broken down into an archipelago of subsections, so asking if you're in the majority or minority is typically meaningless. Everybody thinks there is a bias, and everybody, in their own way, is right.

The trend lines are a little more complex than that, but what we can say is that there is definitely a dominant consensus here about which video games matter, and that a certain kind of big-budget, heavily marketed experience is part of that story. I'd say that a bigger part of that story is a sense of institutional continuity with what games media considered important back in the late '90s to 2000s, and specifically since the establishment of the Sony/MS/Nintendo holding pattern. The interests and biases around here would be highly recognizable to forum posters from back then.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a preference in this regard so there's no poll option for me. As long as a game is interesting and fun to play I don't care what its budget was.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just buy the games I like no preference, didn't vote since you didn't include that.

Sometimes I have to go to one or the other. I am a Pinball and Twin Stick Shooter nut and that's a indie/AA staple.

I also like Open World geared to free play (GTA3, BOTW, MGSV, Death Stranding right now) and that's definitely best done Triple A.

And most the other genres I am into run the gamut of production level so I look for good and fun for me not shiny graphics or high budget polish though it's nice when a good game is triple A. Last year was an indie year for me. The only game I really truly loved was GOW in the mainstream space and everything else was indies. This year on the other hand other than Disco Elysium not many indies for me but AAA is killing it with RE2make, Sekiro, and Death Stranding all locks for my top three in voting.