• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Storybook

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 months): Downplaying bigotry and intolerance over multiple posts
With homosexuality and/or being transgender being prohibited and facing severe punishment, how is progress (if any) looking in this area internally from your perspective?
Ok. I was looking for this to be brought up. You can see Gay people in Saudi, they definitely don't get arrested or executed. I've never heard of a person getting jailed for being Gay. But the community generally try to avoid talking about homosexuality like it doesn't exist to be honest and they rather Gay people don't publicly share their lifestyle in social media. Also, many Gay people here try to hide they're Gay so they decide to get married and act to live normally so they don't get hated by their family.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Saudi Arabia is extremely safe. We love all kind of music. We're hosting music events now with artists from all around the world. Men and women dancing together in concerts and having fun.
How safe would it be if I (a man) came with my husband? Could I dance with him?

edit: just saw the above. yikes

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How do you feel living in a country...

- ... where people get executed for "disrespecting" Islam?
- ... where other religions except Islam are forbidden?
- ... where homosexuality is a punishable offense and LGBTQ rights are basically non-existent?
- ... where thousands of migrant workers live like slaves?
- ... where protests and demonstrations are forbidden?
- ... where the government imprisons thousands of people criticizing the country?
- ... where the press is censored and restricted?
- ... where the head of state is most likely involved in killing a journalist?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
How do you feel living in a country...

- ... where people get executed for "disrespecting" Islam?
- ... where other religions except Islam are forbidden?
- ... where homosexuality is a punishable offense and LGBTQ rights are basically non-existent?
- ... where thousands of migrant workers live like slaves?
- ... where protests and demonstrations are forbidden?
- ... where the government imprisons thousands of people criticizing the country?
- ... where the press is censored and restricted?
- ... where the head of state is most likely involved in killing a journalist?

lol. Dude is a citizen, not working for the embassy, lol

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Have you lived outside of Saudi Arabia? Europe or US? Some of your answers read like you're optimistic as if SA is progressive, but your answers so far are just reinforcing how restrictive it still is there - particularly the cultural view of queer folk still forcing them to live their lives in secrecy.

My question is what is your overall scope of perspective when looking at SA if you have lived elsewhere.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Do most people in Saudi Arabia condone harassment, punishment, and execution of Atheists? I know what the Saudi government feels about the matter. I was just wondering what the average Saudi thinks?

Also I know the Saudi government claims Saudi Arabia is 100% Sunni Muslim (lol) but what would you say is the more accurate number?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP
OP
Storybook

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
How does the average Saudi feel about the US-Saudi alliance? For example, if Bernie Sanders becomes president, it's highly likely we would be scaling down our support, to say the least.
Personally, I feel the Saudi-US alliance is important for the stability of the region. I have no idea what the future holds if Bernie got elected.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
How many princes are there? I know my cousin has been over there for about a decade working security for one of them (and keeps extending his stay due to the ludicrous amounts of money showered on him) but it sounds like there are tens of thousands of them, which seems a bit excessive.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
So you are fine with Saudi Arabia having one of the worst LGBT rights records in the world?
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia

He says he is fine with things as they are.

It just looks pretty privileged to go at dude for a vague statement and insinuate he's all for the state's atrocities.

Because if that's the case, most of us deserve to get hanged for flipping through our own states atrocities against the marginalized in between a bagel and coffee

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Would my father be safe living in the country if the government knew my dad was Jewish and lived in Israel for a couple of years? We almost moved to Saudi, but turned down that idea for various reasons. That one especially.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It just looks pretty privileged to go at dude for a vague statement and insinuate he's all for the state's atrocities.

Because if that's the case, most of us deserve to get hanged for flipping through our own states atrocities against the marginalized in between a bagel and coffee

He does not condemn what his country is doing. In fact, he says things are fine and wonders what the future will hold if Bernie would get elected.

Lots of Americans on this forum condemn what America is doing.

OP
OP
Storybook

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a break now and return later to answer all the questions I missed. Thank you for engaging guys.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
He does not condemn what his country is doing. In fact, he says things are fine and wonders what the future will hold if Bernie would get elected.

This isn't about bagels and coffee.

You guys are fucking killing me. Of course its not about bagels and coffee, that was the fucking point of the sentence. The point is that some of the questions seems ad hominem attacks from someone who's if we are to believe is posting from good faith from an infamous surveillance state. Its like walking up to an American and saying 'You like living in America? You must hate black people too?', lol

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
What does the general public think about the death sentence for apostasy? It's been reported multiple time that it's still applied by multiples sources, so i'm curious about your opinion about that or if it's even true

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
From the inside, the strides made in the last few years must seem like progress even if from the outside it still looks like they have a long way to go.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey mate, couple questions for ya.

What do they teach in schools? I've lived Asia, USA and Australia e.g. not a lot of world events/history in the USA was taught, very internalised.

Is religion (none, one or many) taught in schools?

Does the average Saudi/family travel internationally much?

Do you feel a shift away from fossil fuels there?

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018

False equivalence.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
With the ubiquity of religion how superstitious are people there in a general sense? For example, do many people think locust swarms are a sign of a displeased god? Are there other ill fated omens and are there practices/fetishes people do/have to protect themselves?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Thanks for the clarification. Ill reply with a 'I disagree' and I already see the middle east stereotypes getting trotted out while a bunch of privileged non minorities take what I hope is a genuine 'hey ask me shit about a foreign place' post to feel good about whupping the current worldwide pariah while gleefully cosigning their own nations fuckboy tendencies.

Shall we ask him if he's fucking a child bride? Perhaps if he thinks women drivers suck and should be stoned. These are normal questions we ask regular people, right?

OP
OP
Storybook

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
What worries you about Bernie?
Ok I'll answer this one. I like Bernie. I wanted him to get elected in the previous elections and I hope he wins this time. He seems to be a man who's worried about serious issues like climate change/student debts and he cares about people. I'm not worried I just don't know what will happen.

Will return to answer other questions later ;)

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know anything about job market and foreign workers? How hard is it for IT professionals from the US to get a job in Saudi Arabia?

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the clarification. Ill reply with a 'I disagree' and I already see the middle east stereotypes getting trotted out while a bunch of privileged non minorities take what I hope is a genuine 'hey ask me shit about a foreign place' post to feel good about whupping the current worldwide pariah while gleefully cosigning their own nations fuckboy tendencies.

Shall we ask him if he's fucking a child bride? Perhaps if he thinks women drivers suck

You guys are fucking killing me. Of course its not about bagels and coffee, that was the fucking point of the sentence. The point is that some of the questions seems ad hominem attacks from someone who's if we are to believe is posting from good faith from an infamous surveillance state. Its like walking up to an American and saying 'You like living in America? You must hate black people too?', lol

Seriously... what did OP think would happen?
He/she goes "hey, let's clear up some misunderstandings, ask me questions." and then goes on answering questions like "the government is doing extremely good work" and "I've never heard of a person getting jailed for being Gay"... well, read some news then.

Nobody said OP is happy with human rights violations in the country... but if you explicitly claim wanting to clear up some bad rep, you better expect questions on these topics.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Interesting thread.

1. How's the video gaming scene over there? Is it part of the culture or is it pretty niche?
2. Did it actually snow in Medina last week????

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Shall we ask him if he's fucking a child bride? Perhaps if he thinks women drivers suck and should be stoned. These are normal questions we ask regular people, right?
This isn't a general "ask the user above you about their country" and he's not from a place like Wakanda that we know nothing about

He made a thread for us to ask specifically about Saudi Arabia

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
People proud of their country scares me, but when it's a country like SA, holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.