• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The OP seems very pro-Saudi regime. But he also seems liberal.

The same could be said of all religions nations.

Not that he's necessarily as bad as MBS, but plenty of Americans on this board were/are very pro-Obama, even as he was mass-murdering brown civilians, fomenting proxy wars, supplying weapons to tyrannical regimes, and drone striking American citizens.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
1. What country would you say is the most like Saudi Arabia? Are you on good terms with that country?

2. What is one thing from another country you wish you had in Saudi Arabia? Is there something from Saudi Arabia that you wish you could share with the world?

3. How is Saudi Arabia's local entertainment industry? Is there any local media you recommend?

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks for reaching out but I'm not sure I would be totally comfortable visiting a country where 'chop chop square' was a thing.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What could happen to me if I kiss someone in public?

Last edited:

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you allowed to wear shorts? Do you ever feel like you want to wear shorts?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Ok. I was looking for this to be brought up. You can see Gay people in Saudi, they definitely don't get arrested or executed. I've never heard of a person getting jailed for being Gay. But the community generally try to avoid talking about homosexuality like it doesn't exist to be honest and they rather Gay people don't publicly share their lifestyle in social media. Also, many Gay people here try to hide they're Gay so they decide to get married and act to live normally so they don't get hated by their family.

What would happen to such a person if they were publicly accused of homosexuality?

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I am from the UK, ask me anything!
"What do you think of Boris Johnson?"
He is a great guy and everybody loves him, and the EU are bad, and everything is fine, and Trump is quite liked too, everything is fine as I said, please don't ask about the Russia report, that was nothing."

Cbrun44

Why should should anyone believe anything you say?

I must say I agree with this thought. We all know the Saudi government is beyond despicable. No way to sugar coat that. I'd say the same exact thing about Russian and China. It has nothing to do with the general population, but open support for a totalitarian government regardless of the situation is not good.

Just my thoughts here. No personal disrespect to OP...

But MBS... He can eat shit.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't mean to dogpile, but we have actual live footage of atrocities from Saudi. Everything from basically indentured servitude to extreme violence against women. I don't know what your lot in life is and how that affects your views on your country, but my man, it's bad. I have relatives from my Filipino side who literally spent years in what I would consider slavery before finally escaping. The state actually prevented them from leaving. This is not disputable, it happened. Just Google "filipino slaves in saudi arabia". It's fucking heart breaking.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Are there any Jews that live in SA, do you know any? Are there any Jewish tourists who visit SA and how are they generally accepted?

Oct 28, 2017
People are asking questions full of slang and pretty complex sentences when the guy has made it clear his English isn't so good.

Plus, people are really trying to interrogate him over all sorts of high level society things instead of the general minutiae that I think he'd be more comfortable with. Its likely he feels average Saudi's are maligned thanks to government decisions, just like a liberal Americlap might go nuts if someone thinks the entirety of the USA are all pro-Trump QAnon believers who scoff hamburgers all day.

A nice thread ruined by aggression, really.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
People are asking questions full of slang and pretty complex sentences when the guy has made it clear his English isn't so good.

Plus, people are really trying to interrogate him over all sorts of high level society things instead of the general minutiae that I think he'd be more comfortable with. Its likely he feels average Saudi's are maligned thanks to government decisions, just like a liberal Americlap might go nuts if someone thinks the entirety of the USA are all pro-Trump QAnon believers who scoff hamburgers all day.

You should re-read the first paragraph of the op. He invited these sorts of questions. If he wanted more superficial questions, he should have framed the thread that way, not say that people have gotten the wrong idea about his country from fake news.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

As said before... OP specifically talked about the bad reputation of Saudi Arabia and encouraged people to ask questions to clear up "misunderstandings".

/edit
yeah.. what echoshifting said

Oct 28, 2017
You should re-read the first paragraph of the op. He invited these sorts of questions. If he wanted more superficial questions, he should have framed the thread that way, not say that people have gotten the wrong idea about his country from fake news.

As said before... OP specifically talked about the bad reputation of Saudi Arabia and encouraged people to ask questions to clear up "misunderstandings".

/edit
yeah.. what echoshifting said

Yeah but people need to be aware that the levels of hostility fed in their questions is not gonna garner responses from him. He'll see you as a lost cause with regards to giving his perspective and you understanding.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Yeah but people need to be aware that the levels of hostility fed in their questions is not gonna garner responses from him. He'll see you as a lost cause with regards to giving his perspective and you understanding.

🤷‍♂️ I mean he's not gonna clear up any misunderstandings that way but that is fine, because I don't think there are very many misunderstandings floating around here to begin with. It's not terribly good faith to create a thread meant to address such things and then go on to ignore pointed questions based on widely-reported facts. But we'll see what happens!

And I get what you are saying in your last post, I love learning about faraway places in AMAs, it can be a neat and eye-opening experience, but my point is that really wasn't the thrust of this particular thread in the first place.

OP
OP
Storybook

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
So many questions!

What's life like?
It's calm. Some people like it some don't.

What are your work hours?
8 hours.

Any protections in terms of rights in your vocation?
Job security is good here especially in government sectors.

How are minorities really treated? and be honest!
It depends on areas, discrimination is higher in some cities and lower in others.

Why do women *have* to cover up?
No.

How are Americans generally viewed?
Mostly as the good guys.

Answers inside the quotes.

But it still exist today

No it doesn't.

How common are comedy clubs? I know their illegal but are they common? Also why were they banned?

There are few comedy clubs but I only know about the ones in the western region. They are not illegal but they avoid talking about sensitive subjects.

That's the official line but doesn't seem even remotely true.
https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/N...ave-more-rights-than-Westerners-says-princess (Official line)

Saudi women occupy the 107th place in gender pay gap worldwide. They are receiving 56% less salary than their male counterparts. (Data)​

Where I work women get paid equally to men.

Okay, I'll bite. What's the attitude of the people around you to the war in Yemen and blockade of Qatar?

The attitude here is the interference in Yemen was a necessary evil to stop Iran presence south of Saudi. The people of Saudi and Qatar have a lot in common and all the countries involved wish for an ending to it but the matter is still between the governments of the 4 countries and Qatar.

If there was one basic thing you'd like people to know about what it's like living in Saudi Arabia, what would it be?

Living in SA is good, we always want to get better by the day and in these years, things are looking promising.
Do you prefer tea or coffee?

Coffee. Dunkin coffee, always!

what would you say are the "wrong ideas being spread all over" and "wrong false news" about saudi arabia?

Many assume that we're a very closed community (everything is HARAM) and still sharing old media news for example about women not able to drive or forced to cover their faces.

Have you lived outside of Saudi Arabia? Europe or US? Some of your answers read like you're optimistic as if SA is progressive, but your answers so far are just reinforcing how restrictive it still is there - particularly the cultural view of queer folk still forcing them to live their lives in secrecy.

My question is what is your overall scope of perspective when looking at SA if you have lived elsewhere.

I've traveled outside of SA but never to Europe/USA however, many of nephews and nieces are studying there. I am optimistic, I know we still have problems but with time they'll be addressed and fixed like many other problems that are in the past now.

"trap" meaning that because of its religious and worldwide importance everything is more expensive because its an easy way for people to make money off the pilgrimage

Mecca itself is not expensive but as far as I know there are fees prior to doing Hajj/Umrah whether you're from inside SA (Hajj) or another country.

Is there a purity test to visit Mecca? Like, would someone have to show their Muslim receipts?

Yeah the ID shows the religion of the person.

Do most people in Saudi Arabia condone harassment, punishment, and execution of Atheists? I know what the Saudi government feels about the matter. I was just wondering what the average Saudi thinks?

Also I know the Saudi government claims Saudi Arabia is 100% Sunni Muslim (lol) but what would you say is the more accurate number?

Most people avoid sharing opinions about sensitive subjects like Atheism.
SA is not not 100% Sunni, we have Shia Saudis and people from outside of the country with different beliefs, but yes the majority are Sunni.

How many princes are there? I know my cousin has been over there for about a decade working security for one of them (and keeps extending his stay due to the ludicrous amounts of money showered on him) but it sounds like there are tens of thousands of them, which seems a bit excessive.

Yes, the royal family is big but I don't think tens of thousands big.

Any Saudi underground punk/rock bands I should check out?

Yes my friend is obsessed with Rock bands but unfortunately I don't follow up with their gatherings and events : (

Would my father be safe living in the country if the government knew my dad was Jewish and lived in Israel for a couple of years? We almost moved to Saudi, but turned down that idea for various reasons. That one especially.

Being Christian/Jewish doesn't matter if you want to work here. I don't know though if the Israel thing could be a problem.

How is your country dealing with Global warming and it's effects on the planet?

The government is keen to use renewable energy as part of the 2030 vision and be less dependent on oil. They're acknowledging it but I believe we should do more work about it.

What does the general public think about the death sentence for apostasy? It's been reported multiple time that it's still applied by multiples sources, so i'm curious about your opinion about that or if it's even true

Saudi Arabia consists of tribes that are extremely attached to Islam and Islamic values, the view about Apostasy is still as it is since the beginning of Islam. Most Death sentences are now applied on killers/drug traffickers/ terrorists.

Hey mate, couple questions for ya.

What do they teach in schools? I've lived Asia, USA and Australia e.g. not a lot of world events/history in the USA was taught, very internalised.
Math/Science, Religion, Islamic history, Saudi History.. and recently they announced plans for music classes and already started teaching chinese language in selected schools.

Is religion (none, one or many) taught in schools?
Yes.

Does the average Saudi/family travel internationally much?
Some can some don't.

Do you feel a shift away from fossil fuels there?
We're reading there're plans but nothing happened yet.

Answers inside the quote.

Hi Stinkles,
The stories you shared got the public opinion attention, and remember this is a very convernative society, the majority view that something had to be done to stop "such behaviours" from spreading and what happened happened. I'm still hopeful that things will be better for minorities in the coming years.

Interesting thread.

1. How's the video gaming scene over there? Is it part of the culture or is it pretty niche?
2. Did it actually snow in Medina last week????

1- I think most people here are gamers now, PlayStation and Mobile games are dominating. Some small Saudi studios started emerging and developing games.
2- Yes it snowed but in Tabuk.

I mean safe as in crime levels.

The OP seems very pro-Saudi regime. But he also seems liberal.

The middle east is messed up as it is. We as people are seeing positive changes in the country, things take time!

Are you safe for doing this?

Of course!

1. What country would you say is the most like Saudi Arabia? Are you on good terms with that country?

2. What is one thing from another country you wish you had in Saudi Arabia? Is there something from Saudi Arabia that you wish you could share with the world?

3. How is Saudi Arabia's local entertainment industry? Is there any local media you recommend?

1- UAE
2- Music & film degrees to be taught in local universities.
3- The entertainment industry in SA just started, I can't recommend anything sadly because most of my time is spent between work and home :D

What could happen to me if I kiss someone in public?

Security might approach you and say don't do this here please.

Why should should anyone believe anything you say?

I'm answering from my perspective, I thought it's a unique opportunity and people are always free to believe what they want to believe.

Are you allowed to wear shorts? Do you ever feel like you want to wear shorts?

Unfortunately, there's a fine for wearing shorts in public now :(

how many nannies and drivers do you have? Are they well cared for?

My family don't have nannies or drivers.

I'm Jewish, what would happen if I went to Saudi Arabia?

Nothing. All people from USA/Europe and some other parts of the world are now able to visit and get their visa from Saudi Airports.
Can I wear a Christian-themed t-shirt while walking down your street?

I've seen some westerners with Cross tattoos but never wearing a shirt :D

In the end guys, please understand that I created this thread with good intentions, if I missed any important questions you think worth answering feel free to remind me.

Progress can be difficult in the middle east, but it's happening and I'm optimistic.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Agreeing with the idea that every country has work to do, what things come to mind that you think the country really needs to improve on.

Example, things that jump to mind here in Ireland (err I technically live in Australia right now):
1) Homelessness, home and life affordability
2) Climate crisis contributions, renewables
3) Health Service
4) Growing inequality, treatment of Irish Travellers (Romani)
5) Agricultural reform away from Beef
6) Corporate taxation
7) Prison reform
8) Decentralised employment
9) Public transport (slow & expensive)

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys, this is a FUN thread. Only ask FUN questions! Everything is fine! I'm worried about Bernie though.
I don't get these posts, OP seems be genuine in his answers and is willing to answer the tougher ones from the best of his abilities.

I'm not saying that SA is not a problematic place but OP is a local and offers to answer questions from his POV if members here have some, I mean why not? You have tough questions, ask them away, no need for these kind of hostilities though.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping for normal questions like entertainment or video games but some of you guys are acting like he's representing the government.

Serious question, how fast are internet speeds and does everyone have access to online these days?

Do most use smartphones/tablets instead of a PC for entertainment?

Last edited:

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I feel like the reputation of Saudi around the world is .. not good. So many wrong ideas are being spread all over. There's some truth to what's being reported but many many wrong false news are being spread too. I'm proud to be Saudi, it's my home and it's where I was raised (I hope I don't get resented for saying this)

I love the community of Era (as it's multi culture community) so I had this idea to share some answers to you as a Saudi national.

Ask your questions about anything and I'll answer them.

Just wanted to say the majority of people only dislike the Saudi government. But we also dislike our own government in certain ways as well.

You're just a person like the rest of us. Saudi Arabia is part of who you are. Don't be afraid to be yourself.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Are young Saudis still into drifting and crazy car culture in general? I remember that was big when I was there.

Oct 27, 2017
If you had to transform into one animal and live the rest of your life as it, what would you choose?

Do you prefer bidets or toilet paper?

Have aliens visited us and are world governments concealing this from us?

What's your favorite sport?

What do Saudis think about pineapples on pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.