• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting.

When I was in the Air Force I was sent to UAE for about a month. We stayed in the UAE Armed Forces Officers Club in Abu Dahbi. It was redonk.

The thing I found most surprising was how western it was, and this was around 2005. We had to wear pants, closed toe shoes and collared shirts. They said it was to be respectful to the locals, but the locals wore basketball jerseys, sandals and baggy shorts. Some wore the traditional Kandura and Abaya, but most people did not. Many of the women were dressed casually, skirts, dresses, tight jeans. We went to the club pretty much every night. A lot of women came to the clubs in Abaya's, but in the club they changed into...more revealing clothing. When they left the Abaya's went back on.

As a side note. They had hacking game consoles down to a science. They had every Xbox game known on burned disks. We only found this out, because a buddy of mine used a cheap converter and ended up frying his power supply. The shop we went to gave him a power supply with a voltage switch.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Was Knack a good launch game for the PS4?

Will Knack 3 be a good lauch game for PS5?

Would Stadia be more of a sucess if it had Knack?

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
How far can non-Muslims travel before they're not allowed to enter the Holy Lands?

Is there a museum about the history of Islam and pre-Islamic Arabia?

How much of the History of Islam is preserved still in SA?

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
This thread is disgusting. The Saudi government goes to great lengths to track down and bring back women that try to flee for their safety and possibility of better lives. I wouldn't have a right to exist there. Why even humor the op at all?

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
The country is opening up gradually and most of us like things as they are to be honest.
Do the women you know feel the same way as you do? Do they "like things as they are, to be honest"? If they do, do you honestly think they are being truthful with you? Or do think they are fearful of the repercussions if they express that they don't agree with you?

Do you speak with women you know on a conversational level, or on an authoritarian one?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand I have respect for the OP for coming back and answering a ton of difficult questions in post 140.
On the other most of the OP's posts in this thread feel like they're really glossing over real issues, almost as if written by a propaganda arm of the government.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
OP is washing over many of these issues and denying things we know are happening.

Not sure what the value of this thread is.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of diet racism directed at the OP in this thread under the guise of 'morality'

Not that I should be surprised by this place.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
On the one hand I have respect for the OP for coming back and answering a ton of difficult questions in post 140.
On the other most of the OP's posts in this thread feel like they're really glossing over real issues, almost as if written by a propaganda arm of the government.
This is how I feel. OP seems pretty optimistic and positive... but that's not necessarily appropriate for some questions. I understand wanting people to see what you love about your country, but every country has issues that we as citizens should be willing to address and criticize.

I have major issues in both the countries I've lived in, despite all the things I love about them.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I feel. OP seems pretty optimistic and positive... but that's not necessarily appropriate for some questions. I understand wanting people to see what you love about your country, but every country has issues that we as citizens should be willing to address and criticize.

I have major issues in both the countries I've lived in, despite all the things I love about them.
I mean OP lives in a country where the internet is monitored and you can be disappeared for the shit you post on it. Making this thread if he's real is an act of bravery in itself. I'd carefully word my answers and avoid straying to far from the government line in the same position. Most would. If the stakes are imprisonment/survival can you blame him?

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think that Saudi government should apologize for having made alliance with Wahhabism partisans in the past, as Wahhabism is often depicted as one of the causes of terrorism? Would you be in favor of encouraging legalization of abortion for women?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean OP lives in a country where the internet is monitored and you can be disappeared for the shit you post on it. Making this thread if he's real is an act of bravery in itself. I'd carefully word my answers and avoid straying to far from the government line in the same position. Most would. If the stakes are imprisonment/survival can you blame him?
How is it an act of bravery to make this thread stating there's a lot of misinformation out there about SA, hoping/fishing for someone to ask a question about LGBTQ+ rights there only to dismiss or downplay the concerns around them.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think public beheadings are a thing in Saudi Arabia, maybe he has witnessed some?
And? What do you really want him to say? Are you asking out of extreme morbid curiosity? It feels as if folks are really trying their damnedest to get him to slip up and say something so thinks can escalate from there. He's a person from Saudia Arabia answering questions.

Dec 12, 2017
Do you have any weird dominos menu items?
Agreeing with the idea that every country has work to do, what things come to mind that you think the country really needs to improve on.

Example, things that jump to mind here in Ireland (err I technically live in Australia right now):
1) Homelessness, home and life affordability
2) Climate crisis contributions, renewables
3) Health Service
4) Growing inequality, treatment of Irish Travellers (Romani)
5) Agricultural reform away from Beef
6) Corporate taxation
7) Prison reform
8) Decentralised employment
9) Public transport (slow & expensive)
those are applicable to almost any country

Oct 28, 2017
What is some typical Saudi food? What's your favorite city in the country?

Are there any churches in Saudi-Arabia? Can non-Muslims practice their religion? Can non-religious people freely admit they're atheist/agnostic/whatever?

Do you think non-Muslims should be allowed to visit Mecca or should the current status continue?

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
And? What do you really want him to say? Are you asking out of extreme morbid curiosity? It feels as if folks are really trying their damnedest to get him to slip up and say something so thinks can escalate from there. He's a person from Saudia Arabia answering questions.

You are right that people certainly are trying to get him to slip up.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Jesus.
The dude is just from Saudi Arabia. Y'all acting like he's some scum of the earth.
They specifically made the thread to clear up "wrong ideas" and "wrong false news" about Saudi Arabia. I'm not sure why you're acting like it's someone that came in expecting soft questions about cakes when it's clear they're looking to clarify on more fundamental topics like LGBTQ+ rights within the regime.

Public beheadings are reportedly a thing in Saudi Arabia. Someone asked if he's seen one as a result and you're off on some rando about 'acting like he's the scum of the earth' or 'trying to get him to slip up'.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
They specifically made the thread to clear up "wrong ideas" and "wrong false news" about Saudi Arabia. I'm not sure why you're acting like it's someone that came in expecting soft questions about cakes when it's clear they're looking to clarify on more fundamental topics like LGBTQ+ rights within the regime.

Public beheadings are reportedly a thing in Saudi Arabia. Someone asked if he's seen one as a result and you're off on some rando about 'acting like he's the scum of the earth' or 'trying to get him to slip up'.
Realistically, let's say someone from North Korea makes a thread about questions about North Korea, do you just assume they're privileged with knowledge from outside of North Korea? At a point, you have to concede that all your knowledge isn't available to others, and even if it's a small circumstance, there are teaching moments.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Realistically, let's say someone from North Korea makes a thread about questions about North Korea, do you just assume they're privileged with knowledge from outside of North Korea? At a point, you have to concede that all your knowledge isn't available to others, and even if it's a small circumstance, there are teaching moments.
I'm not really sure what any of that has to do with what I wrote regarding your posts.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You actually do. What do you want from OP?
I don't. Read it again:

This has nothing to do with North Korea or citizens within it being unaware of outside perspectives. In any sense.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't. Read it again:

This has nothing to do with North Korea or citizens within it being unaware of outside perspectives. In any sense.
Do you realize the information spread in Saudia Arabia? What do you fully expect him to say to a lot of these hard testing questions? Like, we as westerners know these answers whether good or bad. What do you want him to say?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ah, OK. I see how it is.
Someone asked if he'd seen a public beheading.
You flipped out on how people were "suggesting he's the scum of the Earth".

I say this entire thread is based on his looking to correct "false news" about SA so it seems apt.
You compare this to someone within North Korea knowing how the world views their country.

Again, they created a thread looking to clear up lies or misconceptions around their country, and admitted hot issues like LGBTQ+ rights within that regime was a focus in doing so. So I'm not sure why you're hand-wringing on their behalf when people ask something as mundane as whether someone has witnessed something that has been reported to be a public event in western media.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Someone asked if he'd seen a public beheading.
You flipped out on how people were "suggesting he's the scum of the Earth".

I say this entire thread is based on his looking to correct "false news" about SA so it seems apt.
You compare this to someone within North Korea knowing how the world views their country.

Again, they created a thread looking to clear up lies or misconceptions around their country, and admitted hot issues like LGBTQ+ rights within that regime was a focus in doing so.
If you really need to explain why someone questioning someone who has someone from Saudia Arabia has seen a beheading as not as bad as you think it is then I think we know the answer to this entire exchange.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This thread is fascinating. Not only cos if OP, but how the rest of you are posting.

Useful for thoughts about my work, cheers all!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If you really need to explain why someone questioning someone who has someone from Saudia Arabia has seen a beheading then I think we know the answer to this entire exchange.
Something that is reported over in the west as being a public event and could be one of the bits of misinformation that the OP is looking to clear up? Or did you think the OP was looking to clear up the false news about what type of roast they serve in coffee shops over there.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Something that is reported over in the west as being a public event and could be one of the bits of misinformation that the OP is looking to clear up? Or did you think the OP was looking to clear up the false news about what type of roast they serve in coffee shops over there.
So you followed up my statement with 2 board questions. Yeah, like, I am going to be 100% honest, I am not going to be dragged into this. Considering you basically went incognito after he answered your first question, I have to hedge my bets on what this is.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Op, how do you feel knowing US support of Saudi Arabia, is predicated on your country continued selling of oil in dollars?

What is the public perception on the attacks on Yemen, and is there even mention of it on the news?

Also, breaking the law in your country carries extremely punishing sanctions (at least compared to most of the world.) Do you think this will change in the short term?

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
I feel like the reputation of Saudi around the world is .. not good. So many wrong ideas are being spread all over. There's some truth to what's being reported but many many wrong false news are being spread too.

Meanwhile people here questioning why others are not asking about video games and internet speeds.

With an OP like that, why are some users here expecting people to ask any questions other than "on a scale of 1 to 10, how ashamed are you of your country, where people are arrested for being gay?"

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So you followed up my statement with 2 board questions. Yeah, like, I am going to be 100% honest, I am not going to be dragged into this. Considering you basically went incognito after he answered your first question, I have to hedge my bets on what this is.
Then stop crying over the type of questions being asked when they're the type this entire thread is made to attract and the OP is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.