• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's really complex though:

1-Saudi Arabia government has a questionable track record on human rights
2-A random citizen of a country isn't usually responsible for the shortcomings of his government. This is doubly so in countries where citizens have limited rights, like SA.
3-Some users are genuinely interested in day to day life in SA and are asking some innocent questions.
4-Some users are asking loaded questions that they already know the answers to, and see the OP glossing over them in a thread that he made specificaly to clear up some misconceptions about his country.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
What is food culture like over there?

So many questions specifically.

What kind of food do people like to eat?

Do you have "western" food like pizza? If it is common, do people like it?

How much meat do people eat? Do people follow food lifestyles like vegetarianism or veganism?

Do people eat outside of the home in restaurants and cafes a lot?

Do you have Chinese / Japanese food available?

Do shops sell a drink called Irn Bru?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's hilarious seeing people trying their hardest to dogpile OP.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. You don't often get to read up on the experiences of those on the ground so this thread is appreciated even if there's a long way to go. I can't say I'm a fan of the Saudi regime but I have no idea why folks on here are trying to trap you in a "gotcha!" with these super loaded questions. I'm so tired of the holier-than-thou attitude on here sometimes, OP is just some dude.

Those insuinating that this is some kind of Saudi astroturf are off their rocker. Yes, they'd come to fucking ResetERA of all places, nice going.

Last edited:

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's hilarious seeing people trying their hardest to dogpile OP. Kindly fuck off.

OP, thanks for taking the time to do this. I can't say I'm a fan of the Saudi regime but I have no idea why folks on here are trying to trap you in a "gotcha!"
Because the thread wasn't framed by the OP as a "Hey. I'm from SA, ask me about my life" but rather "Hey, I'm from SA let me clarify some fake news about my country".

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is disgusting. The Saudi government goes to great lengths to track down and bring back women that try to flee for their safety and possibility of better lives. I wouldn't have a right to exist there. Why even humor the op at all?
This is an opportunity to understand how a local perceive things. He doesnt represent his government.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Because the thread wasn't framed by the OP as a "Hey. I'm from SA, ask me about my life" but rather "Hey, I'm from SA let me clarify some fake news about my country".
Why bother posting then? If you feel he isn't posting in good faith, why not just ignore the thread? There absolutely are some sensitive questions that should be asked but I take issue at the way they're being brought up by certain posters in order to get OP to slip up and show his ass. It isn't very genuine at all and it's obvious some people are trying to rile up some shit.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
OP, I've got a question. Have you ever been to Najran? Is it safe considering the whole situation in Yemen?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Do you have an English language recipe (or just a suggestion) for a Saudi meal you really like and think others should try?
I've had and cooked Kabsa before and always willing to try more.

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We're normal people, we like music and having fun, we are attached to family values. Many of the youth in the country are extremely influenced by American culture.
That is actually even more scary. being influence by some bunch of cowards who think ORANGE CUNT is a good idea is a BIG FAT MISTAKE.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
- Are people there aware of who was really responsible for the killing of Khashoggi?

- Is the mixing of traditional values and Islamic rules still happening? Like no female allowed to go a mall without her brother, or her voice is haram even though these don't exist in Islam but are falsely attributed to it just to justify such controlling behavior?

- Why is Saudi always trying to steal land from other neighboring countries like Oman and Kuwait?

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Why is it that every time I play with a Saudi he says الله يرحم صدام؟
I can answer this.

Saudis don't like Iran, Saddam was a major thorn in Irans backside. But beyond that you shouldn't be surprised the Saddam is a big hero for a lot of Sunnis and Arab Sunnis in particular. This might shock you even further but he's also liked by a decent amount of Kurds who say the chemical attacks were either not done by Saddam and instead foreign entities in order to undermine him or that the Kurds involved were traitors.

Saddam was a pretty popular figure while he was in power, subsequent events and the state if Iraq/the ME since his death have only made his legacy greater.

I assume you're Arab so maybe you know this already and the comment was banter? Haha my mistake if it was, ignore the lecture if that's the case.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of the questions for the OP are something else.

WTF with someone bringing up terrorism.

Inshalla I get to go to Saudi soon. I want to do Umrah.

How different is Saudi to Dubai. I have been there 4 times. Is it much different?

Is Hookah legal in the sense Shisha cafes are open or do people only smoke shisha at home?

Are beach resorts open yet?

How are Afro Arabs and those of African heritage treated?

Was the AJ v Ruiz fight a big thing for the Saudi people?

Last edited:

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I can answer this.

Saudis don't like Iran, Saddam was a major thorn in Irans backside. But beyond that you shouldn't be surprised the Saddam is a big hero for a lot of Sunnis and Arab Sunnis in particular. This might shock you even further but he's also liked by a decent amount of Kurds who say the chemical attacks were either not done by Saddam and instead foreign entities in order to undermine him or that the Kurds involved were traitors.

Saddam was a pretty popular figure while he was in power, subsequent events and the state if Iraq/the ME since his death have only made his legacy greater.

I assume you're Arab so maybe you know this already and the comment was banter? Haha my mistake if it was, ignore the lecture if that's the case.

Thanks, I guess the invasion of Kuwait and killing of innocent Muslims is forgotten.

OP
OP
Storybook

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
It was 5 AM when I was answering questions.. I'll definitely regret ruining my sleeping schedule.

Ok, so before I answer the questions I want to share this post to clarify a few things. Saudi Arabia was heading in a good direction in the past century until the Mecca Siege incident happened, after that for 30 years we had Islamic Clerics holding us back from catching up with the rest of the world. It did so much damage and in 2015 we were finally able to break free from their extreme ideology. In the beginning of past decade Saudi faced countless terrorist attacks (Al Qaeda), many innocent souls were lost, we were hearing of explosions every now and then, I was young by that time.. Then ISIS showed up, and they started blowing up mosques. The government and the public realised that these people were being fueled by the some Islamic Clerics who were motivating people to forget about the joys of life and worry about the after life. These Clerics for 30 years kept dominating the scene and spreading all their agenda but in 2015 they were stopped, they can no longer hold the progress of people who want to live normal lives.

Some points I want to get out of the way:

- Women can now drive.
- Since last year, any Woman 18 and older can now travel freely and get her passport by herself. This was impossible before, no one would've imagined it, the brave women of Saudi fought for both things above until they finally got it. So yes, any woman can now travel without her family approval.
-There's a huge movement to empower Women more than before, equal pay is one of them. Women are starting to hold higher positions in private and government sectors.
-We finally have movie theaters after the ban in the 70's.

Things we have since before.:

-We have free healthcare since forever.
-Education is free. Students get paid to study in Universities.

Views about Israel, China and India:

- Israel: People started to realise in the past few years that Israel isn't as we've been told for 30 years. They see that Saudi & Israel share a lot in common and in social media you can see some interaction between the citizens of both countries. I personally wish for an official diplomatic relation between the 2 countries. Israel and Saudi together can push for more peaceful solutions in a destabilized region.

-China: I don't have much to share here but the relationship between the 2 countries is good. I mentioned earlier that Education ministry started to teach Chinese language in selected schools.

-India: Friendly country. Mostly same situation with China.

I'll answer the questions in a later post.

Sep 28, 2019
It was 5 AM when I was answering questions.. I'll definitely regret ruining my sleeping schedule.

Ok, so before I answer the questions I want to share this post to clarify a few things. Saudi Arabia was heading in a good direction in the past century until the Mecca Siege incident happened, after that for 30 years we had Islamic Clerics holding us back from catching up with the rest of the world. It did so much damage and in 2015 we were finally able to break free from their extreme ideology. In the beginning of past decade Saudi faced countless terrorist attacks (Al Qaeda), many innocent souls were lost, we were hearing of explosions every now and then, I was young by that time.. Then ISIS showed up, and they started blowing up mosques. The government and the public realised that these people were being fueled by the some Islamic Clerics who were motivating people to forget about the joys of life and worry about the after life. These Clerics for 30 years kept dominating the scene and spreading all their agenda but in 2015 they were stopped, they can no longer hold the progress of people who want to live normal lives.

Some points I want to get out of the way:

- Women can now drive.
- Since last year, any Woman 18 and older can now travel freely and get her passport by herself. This was impossible before, no one would've imagined it, the brave women of Saudi fought for both things above until they finally got it. So yes, any woman can now travel without her family approval.
-There's a huge movement to empower Women more than before, equal pay is one of them. Women are starting to hold higher positions in private and government sectors.
-We finally have movie theaters after the ban in the 70's.

Things we have since before.:

-We have free healthcare since forever.
-Education is free. Students get paid to study in Universities.

Views about Israel, China and India:

- Israel: People started to realise in the past few years that Israel isn't as we've been told for 30 years. They see that Saudi & Israel share a lot in common and in social media you can see some interaction between the citizens of both countries. I personally wish for an official diplomatic relation between the 2 countries. Israel and Saudi together can push for more peaceful solutions in a destabilized region.

-China: I don't have much to share here but the relationship between the 2 countries is good. I mentioned earlier that Education ministry started to teach Chinese language in selected schools.

-India: Friendly country. Mostly same situation with China.

I'll answer the questions in a later post.
I had no idea Saudi Arabia had free healthcare and education that's incredible.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Thank you for offering your perspective OP. It's nice that some progress is being made.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I think it's a good idea for a thread. Be prepared to spend many, many hours answering or people will be disappointed :)

They see that Saudi & Israel share a lot in common

Other than agreeing that "fuck the ayatollahs!" and a love of Air Conditioners, what do you think SA and IS have in common that other countries/people don't ?

How do you feel the Saudi Arabian people are perceived by different Arab countries/regions ? Egypt/Iraq/Syria/Jordan/, UAE and Qatar, etc, North africa, etc?

Inversely, what stereotypes exist about people from those countries in SA?

How do you reconcile the fact that the person who gave SA women driving, passports and movie theaters is also directly responsible for killing an innocent journalist whose only crime was to speak the truth. Not only that, he did it while that journalist was his guest (Khasoggi was a guest in the saudi embassy)? And this is just what we know. Where there is one murder, there are likely more (Starting with the henchmen that are going to be executed as a coverup for MBS.)

Do you believe that such a man surely deserves the death penalty? Do you think that MBS should be above the laws of man? (and God, if you believe in Him).

Do you like MBS ?

Those are the things I am curious about.

Jaguar King

Oct 25, 2017
As Saudi i was really excited when I saw this thread. I will finally explain some of the big misinformation about my country.

Then i saw some of the replies....

you guys don't want to hear about some of the positive honest truth about Saudi Arabia. All you care about is the negative false info that is being spread across the Internet.

In the end why should I bother to answer some of the questions that you are asking if you are not gonna believe me in the first place? Even if the answers are the the absolute truth, you will accuse me of being a pro Saudi regime.

But I'm gonna answer one of the questions regarding LGBT

LGBT is definitely banned and not welcomed here, And not only just here. In almost every Arabic country like Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Egypt, Sudan... and many more. So the fact that some of you guys think that Saudi Arabia is the only country that banned LGBT is ridiculous.

LGBT is widely unacceptable and that's due to religion and other social things as well. We have a lot of very conservative people here almost 99,9% is conservative. you cannot just go in and announce you are gay. You will be beaten to death by people before the government arrest you.

Here I said it and it's the truth. Are you gonna believe what I just said? Somehow I doubt it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
But I'm gonna answer one of the questions regarding LGBT

LGBT is definitely banned and not welcomed here, And not only just here. In almost every Arabic country like Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Egypt, Sudan... and many more. So the fact that some of you guys think that Saudi Arabia is the only country that banned LGBT is ridiculous.

LGBT is widely unacceptable and that's due to religion and other social things as well. We have a lot of very conservative people here almost 99,9% is conservative. you cannot just go in and announce you are gay. You will be beaten to death by people before the government arrest you.
Here I said it and it's the truth. Are you gonna believe what I just said? Somehow I doubt it.
Why would people have issue believing that?

For what it's worth this was a Q&A part around LGBT:
With homosexuality and/or being transgender being prohibited and facing severe punishment, how is progress (if any) looking in this area internally from your perspective?
Ok. I was looking for this to be brought up. You can see Gay people in Saudi, they definitely don't get arrested or executed. I've never heard of a person getting jailed for being Gay. But the community generally try to avoid talking about homosexuality like it doesn't exist to be honest and they rather Gay people don't publicly share their lifestyle in social media. Also, many Gay people here try to hide they're Gay so they decide to get married and act to live normally so they don't get hated by their family.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ok. I was looking for this to be brought up. You can see Gay people in Saudi, they definitely don't get arrested or executed. I've never heard of a person getting jailed for being Gay. But the community generally try to avoid talking about homosexuality like it doesn't exist to be honest and they rather Gay people don't publicly share their lifestyle in social media. Also, many Gay people here try to hide they're Gay so they decide to get married and act to live normally so they don't get hated by their family.
Sounds exactly as I would imagine, in other words a living hell.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's what I wanted to say. if you want to Be gay go ahead and be discreet about it and no one will bother you. Be open and public about it and you will feel the wrath of the people.
My question was around what progress there has been in that regard from an internal perspective - how is it looking to get better? The same for people that are transgender.

Oct 27, 2017
London
How do people feel about the mandatory dress code for women, specifically the veil? Is there a movement to allow women to wear whatever they want, Westernized clothing included?

Jaguar King

Oct 25, 2017
How do people feel about the mandatory dress code for women, specifically the veil? Is there a movement to allow women to wear whatever they want, Westernized clothing included?

It's not mandatory as long as you have modest clothing, you don't need to cover your face or you're hair. Covering the hair And face is more of cultural thing that has been somebody by the few tribes in the country.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The OP Has been banned, and this thread will remain locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.