• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the guy presses charges, you can't let shit like that get away with nothing happening to them.

Mod edit wasn't in when I posted either, will be interesting to see whether it makes a difference. Wasn't meaning to have a go at you particularly - just that I'd read through a lot of posts claiming that the police weren't doing their jobs, that they should be punished for their part in this, when in fact this was perfectly normal procedure and didn't involve ignoring the crime at all.
Oh i see. Yeah i was not advocating that the police should be punished but i felt that (based on the OP) an investigation would make sense. That is, till i saw that Audioboxer link.

The link was in post #17, as it happens, though it's probably not a crime to not read embedded links to news reports in a foreign language. ;)
I looked for the specific phrase of arrest - which is in Post 49 by Audioboxer, lol :) The link you went at i didnt' read to beyond after the link - I had imagined that if she was arrested, the text in the clickable link would have made me aware.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
This thread is in dire need of deeper moderation. The mod edit from OP is not enough since it looks like nobody reads it.

I'm not even gonna dispute some of the bullshit said here.

I hope the guy presses charges, you can't let shit like that get away with nothing happening to them.
He won't need to. She's walking free but she's charged. If he doesn't press charges, the Prosecutors Office takes situations like this by themselves. She's getting punished despited walking free for a few months until the case is judged.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The Puigdemont thing was not brought up by me, but if someone responds to me with that I'm not going to shy away.
When a month-old piece of news about a hate crime by someone who wasn't even Spanish and was arrested, with legal procceedings on the works; is turned into Spain being a racist shithole where attackers are left scot free, forgive me if I point out the double standards.
So Pudgimont beeing put in custody because the laws of the european union say so equals we are racist towards you spanish people? OK I guess?

As for what the reaction of the German public has been towards "the issue", I think the fact both the Nazis in parliament and the left are pushing for "dialogue" and "political solutions" (whatever that means) to a strictly judicial matter is a show of prepotence and distrust to the judiciary of European partners who, apparently, are not equals in their eyes.
I mean, they can say what they want, their opinion doesnt matter when it comes to the decisions of the courts, so ok? Still I think its a reasonable position to get a dialogue between the seperatists and the government in the ways, but in the end, its something the people in the parliament get asked by journalists because a spanish politician involved in that affair got caught in germany. If a german politician would be imprisioned in spain, because he favors a seperation of bavaria, I think the chance is pretty high that your politicians also give a statement on that and I really have no idea how this is a problem and its a joke that you are trying to make it appear as a racism. Its not. fullstop.

Edit: Its getting a bit to much into the offtopic. Be assured, that there is no bigger number of people who have racists feelings towards the spainish people because catalonia tries to seperate for the 318th time, or because people, accused by a EU country, was loocked up by another EU country, while EU laws say, that this is something the EU member countrys are forced to do.

Last edited:

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
Great job by the authorities I see.

Having lived there myself I can tell you that's the norm most of the time, sadly it seems that years later it hasn't changed....

Any history buff here perhaps can shine some light on the following since my memory is fuzzy about it, their reasoning for a lot of *older* Spanish is that the Moors once invaded and ruined the country, the stigma is still there well and alive for some. Heck I remember being thought that early in school as well....

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is in dire need of deeper moderation. The mod edit from OP is not enough since it looks like nobody reads it.

I'm not even gonna dispute some of the bullshit said here.

He won't need to. She's walking free but she's charged. If he doesn't press charges, the Prosecutors Office takes situations like this by themselves. She's getting punished despited walking free for a few months until the case is judged.

Oh shit ok, was just used to things like how the prosecutors, etc can't press charges unless the victim wants to. Too used to laws here in NA.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Pretty sure that's just racism
Of course it is racism.
To clarify, the amount of Spaniards that would commit an act of violence against someone for being a different race is pretty low. I posit lower than other European countries.
In contrast, the amount of locals who hold others in contempt just for being of another race is worryingly high. It's really shameful.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Of course it is racism.
To clarify, the amount of Spaniards that would commit an act of violence against someone for being a different race is pretty low. I posit lower than other European countries.
In contrast, the amount of locals who hold others in contempt just for being of another race is worryingly high. It's really shameful.
Sounds like every neighborhood in America.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Racism. Member still in junior phase.
I mean, it's El Salvador... Not exactly a country known for stellar citizens.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Marius apparently had this to say on Facebook...

"What's funny is that before hitting me with the bottle she said to me, 'I'm white and we are in Spain. I can kill you and nothing will happen to me.' The truth is nothing has happened to her," he added. "After being identified she has gone home, while I have gone to mine with seven stitches. Now the problem is in the hands of the law. The law will decide on the sentence."

If she left the country, it's pretty much a wrap. Charging her in a absense might be an option, if they decide to charge her at all.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
It's not that simple especially when you have a racist system against you. They get the last laugh and violence will never change there views.
I don't give a fuck about changing their views at this point, and I never claimed this to be a solution to anything. It's all about controlling the amount of damage they do. We can do our best to educate our young and to reduce the inequalities that helps racism grow, but when people are actively racist and help normalize this kind of behaviour and harmful attitudes that help the racist systems you mention stay in place - punch the fuckers. Many of our respective societies are too far gone for discussion and debate to be effective, and giving these assholes a platform is beyond dangerous.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What a sad situation, Spain can be pretty misunderstood when it comes to this stuff and obviously a foreign lady doesnt speak for us, but we do have areas to improve on, like most of Europe.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Marius apparently had this to say on Facebook...

That's what he said at the time of the incident. He *also* said at theat point that it was in the hands of the law, and that the law would dictate the sentence. Which doesn't match with what you then say. I know this because I went to his Facebook page and checked it. What isn't clear is whether he posted that before raising his formal complaint that led to her arrest, and what isn't mentioned anywhere is what came of the charges against her.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People just don't get this enough. Yes it is the whole world. There is no place a person of color can go on this planet, and be accepted by everyone and treated as an equal.

what? Racism doesn't equal "hate against black people", that's not the definition whatsoever. Everyone can be a victim to racism, even snow-white christians, just look at brexit.
Also, the second part is quite a bold claim....

[...]
If she left the country, it's pretty much a wrap. Charging her in a absense might be an option, if they decide to charge her at all.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to leave the country if there are active charges against you.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Crazy story, cannot believe people can be so blatantly racist. Like seriously? Scum like this need to be tried in a court of law, for serious hate crime offenses. Spain is an incredibly racist country, have had experience first hand on a few holidays. I am starting to be terrified of entering coffee shops as a black man, going to invest in a flask from now on.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had any racist experiences in Spain my few times visiting family while brown, but it's pretty fucking annoying sometimes to have my accent pointed out by everyone and their mother(even my fathers family) because I took on my mothers Dominican dialect. Idk what I'd classify that as, but couldn't even get a coffee without hearing something. Part of my motivation to try and raise my daughter with a much more neutral accent in Spanish. Rather she not deal with shit(cus it happens here in NY too, from Colombians in particular).

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Do you have any evidence to support the bolded implication at all? Given all the information you left out/misconstrued in the OP (perpetrator being from El Salvador and not Spain, acting as if being sent home after a statement is an absolvement) it honestly seems to me like you just want to shit on Spain and it's police/justice system, which you have deemed as racist, despite nothing in this incident so far pointing towards that.

Last edited:

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Our continent is racist and xenophobic as fuck I don't know where people get the impression the US is worse? Even as a white you are discriminated against if you're the wrong kind of white.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any evidence to support the bolded implication at all? Given all the information you left out/misconstrued in the OP (perpetrator being from El Salvador and not Spain, acting as if being sent home after a statement is an absolvement) it honestly seems to me like you just want to shit on Spain and it's police/justice system, which you have deemed as racist, despite nothing in this incident so far pointing towards that.

Or, I went off from the information made available at the time in the WaPo article.

I don't particularly care about Spain, the fact that you think I have some kind of Vendetta to grind means you should probably take a step back because you're becoming irrational.

Thanks iapetus, etc for clearing that up.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I don't think enough importance is being placed on the fact that she's from El Salvador and she looks like a brown Latino, I say this as a brown Latino myself.

Pretty sure she has some self hatred issues along with being a racist pos

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Our continent is racist and xenophobic as fuck I don't know where people get the impression the US is worse? Even as a white you are discriminated against if you're the wrong kind of white.
I feel like while this comparison serves nobody, people believe that the US are worse because of extreme things that you wouldn't find in Europe.
I'm talking regular shootings of black people by the police and stuff like that.
But it's not a contest.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how an alleged aggressor of a hate crime with a deadly weapon could be detained only briefly. It makes no sense whatsoever and only puts the alleged victim at greater risk.

Your garden variety of fisticuffs and brawls I can sort of understand, but not this. This seems grossly negligent.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you'd think us latinos wouldn't be racist fucks but HEY

anyway a friend got called a "sudaca" once on a trip to Barcelona and 5 seconds later I was somehow involved in a street fight. fun times!

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
This is a tricky subject, but obviously, "whiteness" is very much defined by where you are, no?
Exactly. The concept of racism against darker-skinned people is not a unique concept of the West. See Egypt, where the sudanese and other dark-skinned minorities are treated like shit. In this case she specifically referred to herself as "white" though, so unless that is a mistranslation and refers to being a light-skinned El Salvadorian (sic?) person or something, it's hard to tell what her deal with "whiteness" is.

Oct 31, 2017
This is a tricky subject, but obviously, "whiteness" is very much defined by where you are, no?
I'd like some Spanish people to weigh in. Would this person be referred to as white?

Yeah, we have to keep in mind that "whiteness" isn't a static concept but it constantly changing.

So she may be considered white in Spain, like you imply. I can't say.

Either way if she's seen as white or not, she's certainly using the concept as intended, to separate people by social class

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I see. I'm a pasty Austrian, and I've met so many spanish men and women with skin darker than the average Austrian I know, so I didn't want to make any assumptions.
Have into account that we've got quite a sunny country and that tanning culture is huge here, especially in the Summer. But yeah, we have quite the diverse population in that you get people that are in the Antonio Banderas Mediterranean skin tone, but also something like, I don't know, Gasol (I'm talking about Spaniards whose families have been in the peninsula for centuries, not more recent Spaniards like the victim here; I'm a pasty fool that can only get lobster skin in the Summer, for one).

Unfortunately, I think the "casta" system imposed by the Spanish colonizers in the Americas did so much to get racism there too, if this event were to be taken into account. It's quite sickening that this still happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Glad the dude made it out with his face and faith in humanity intact. I think I would go nuts on someone if they attacked me that way.

I mean, it's El Salvador... Not exactly a country known for stellar citizens.

the hell does this mean? First, the attacker in this story was from El Salvador, but the attack happened in Spain. Second, the hell do you know about El Salvadorian citizens? Are you from El Salvador? Have you been there? Do you know people from there?

Victory

Mar 25, 2018
It sucks to see/read something like this happening in a place of happiness, but I guess its something that should be expected when you're black.

the hell does this mean? First, the attacker in this story was from El Salvador, but the attack happened in Spain. Second, the hell do you know about El Salvadorian citizens? Are you from El Salvador? Have you been there? Do you know people from there?

You're getting played, the person hasn't replied to any of the comments calling him/her out.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
She .. wasn't wrong.

Extremely sad but glad the guy was not seriously injured. I hope the proper authorities to actual follow ups.
The thing is that according to people here, she
a) is not white.
b) would have likely gotten the same treatment as a black woman.
Seems like it all went down in accordance with the law, no? Unless I missed something.

Long tradition of reconquistas, lol. That was a war that occurred... 700 years ago.
He also posted an image that, as I understand, just looks bad from an American point of view, but does not contain anything racist at all. Just a heads up.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These posts are appropriate, because the latest Eurobarometer just came out and... well... judge yourselves.

Spain has some issues with racism that need to be dealt with, but people abroad keep forming their opinions based on sensational stories and skewed reporting. In reality Spain is *by far* one of the most accepting countries in the EU, and by extension, the western hemisphere. Ugly football fans and the like are not representative at all.

This particular incident caused quite a bit of a stir.
How do those numbers look when asking about specific races, particularly black people? Because aren't the majority of those immigrants considered the same (or closely at the least) as those born in Spain? The majority are coming from countries Spain had a large presence in.