• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
And I did it on purpose, just to make the experience more bleak, lifelike.

Marcus died, androids were destroyed, Hank fell from the roof and Connor found out that he completed his mission just to be replaced by a newer model.

The ending had some pretty sad moments, almost touching, but I don't regret it a bit. Albeit it left me a bit uneasy. Made me think about what really happened and how it reflects the state of world we live in.

Have you ever purposedly went for a bad ending in a video game, ladies and gents?

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I don't really make bad endings happen but I'll stick with the choices and mistakes I make.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's funny, as I purposely wanted to get the bad ending on Connor's path, and I laughed uncontrollably with that outcome.

Everything else I made the most rational choice for the other characters paths, such as safely getting Kara & her family into Canada.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Ending I got was also not completely happy:

Everyone lived to see the resolution, but Conner did not defect. His last goal: "Kill Markus". Guess what, I didn't comprehend the last sequence where you struggle to control yourself. I didn't know if pushing the button was his release or his constraint, so I ended up not doing it, and the game ends on a "Soprano". It's happy, everything is sappy, Markus is with the girl, Alice and Kara made it over the border, people believe in the androids as Markus stands on a stage making the first android rights speech under everyone's consent. Connor is in the crowd, ready to pull his gun. He pulls it out, fails to let go of his objective as he sustains his aim at Markus on the podium. He shoots and cut to black. The End.

This was a wonderfully dramatic ending to me and thematically resonating. I don't really forgive the writing for being so allegoric about androids as the black people movement under apartheid, but if I instead look at it as just "Androids vs humans" where the theme is "Doing as programmed or succumbing to humanity" I think that is an epic stinger; it basically says: "Even if androids unite, there will still be those born to do as they are told, which cannot live in harmony."

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i got all the good endings except for Kara and the little girl. it was kind of hilarious, bunch of touching capstones to all the narratives. and then finally ...
closing shot of Kara and little girl rotting away in a landfill
THE END thanks for playing!

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Oh, forgot about Kara and the girl, who...
... ended up as lifeless, plastic corpses in a horrific landfill.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I did not got for it on purpose, but it was 3 am when I got to the last moments of the game and I was super tired. It was hilarious when I accidentally chose to give up my rebellion with Marcus and accepted the deal with the enemy. After all the fighting and pushing forward and all the sacrifices, he suddenly went 'OK let's just go home.' My friend and I were in tears from laughing.🤣 I also fucked up the escape with Kara and Connor became Hitler in the end.

I turned off the game and decided that I wanted to remember the game like this. Great fun!

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Nothing wrong with playing like that. I liked that all ways were fleshed out a lot instead of there being one definitive ending and the rest being a footnote.

My personal worst ending is Markus getting shot, North sacrificing herself in a really touching and well acted scene, then Markus getting impaled by Machine Connor right after. Meanwhile Kara and Alice are imprisoned with all their friends dead and the rest of their gameplay is just walking to their inevitable death with no way to save them anymore. Again amazing acting by Valorie Curry there when it happens.

A truly horrifying ending lol

Oct 26, 2017
First time I played Blood and Wine I got a "bad" ending and upon replaying it I realized how much better that ending was. It just fit. It was bitter sweet and much more fitting for the universe. I love endings that have an impact. And I must say, the "bad" endings in Detroit are arguably better.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah I honstly don't care what endings I get in games. I got bad ending in the witcher 3 and I liked it not complaining. I considernit as my "destiny" in the game

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never wanted a bad ending more than when I got the "Save the robots by singing" good end. Holy crap I legit cringed, and I loathe that expression but I did!

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
I once got the bad ending in Donkey Kong Country

hqdefault.jpg

Joking aside, good games have good endings, even though you get the 'bad' ending.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's because the bad endings in Detroit are proper endings to the story and arcs, and not just a half assed 30 second cutscene like most games with multiple endings have.

Also as an aside, the proper good ending to Detroit sucks compared to the morally ambiguous endings. Holding hands and singing isn't even a tenth as interesting as
Connor and Marcus battling it out 1v1 during the attack on the army.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, forgot about Kara and the girl, who...
... ended up as lifeless, plastic corpses in a horrific landfill.

Oh fuck now I'm almost glad I got the ending I did with them being
called out by a customs agent and executed at the US/Canadian border.

That almost seems like a mercy by comparison, and slightly less depressing.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had a mixed ending.

Marcus died during the strike which I thought was apt.

Kara and the girl (forgot her name) made it to Canada. Lucas died getting them there though

Connor got killed by Hank instead of his clone.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I hated most humans in the story except for Hank so I did what I had to do to keep him and the androids alive.

I did fuck up at the Canadian border though and was like "oh my god fuck that" and restarted that chapter.

I just finally got around to playing it last week and I really enjoyed it. Way the hell more than I thought I would.

Everyone lived in my ending.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In my playtrough Kara died on the shores of Canada and I'm totally fine with it, it's a tragic but beautiful ending.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
In my playtrough Kara died on the shores of Canada and I'm totally fine with it, it's a tragic but beautiful ending.
I would have been ok with one person dying. I was playing the pacifist path but ended up going to war after the protest. At the border I decided
not to sacrifice anyone. Then Kara pleads with the border agent and you think he is going to let them through then he looked at the TV. Since I had started the war with Markus, he gave us up. Them BAM Alice, Kara and Luther all got gunned down
. I was like fuuuuck that.

Oct 25, 2017
I got .....
Markus is killed in the protest. Kara and the girl die together in robo-Auschwitz. Connor becomes deviant,saves Hank and becomes the leader of the android uprising in Markus's place only to realize Amanda always meant for him to turn deviant and become her puppet leader. He tries to kill himself to stop this from happening but can't go through with it.
It took a lot of fucking up to reach this ending.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
There's stuff in this thread I didn't know about, and I thought I had seen everything in the game, at least the major variations. Wow.