• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Ever knew that you absolutely despite a genre, but there is this one favorite game of yours that conforms to that exact genre, and you can't out you finger on the reason.

Sleeping Dogs is... a strange case for me to say the least.

After many attempts to try and enjoy open world games, I've become willing to concur that this one modern trend of video games I will never appreciate, be it modern settings, apocalyptic, or anything else.

Nonetheless, Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorite games. The kind of game that is your only grievance about would be that it doesn't have more.

Open world always feel a drag after a while. Going from one place to another start to become a chore, and soon enough I drop them completely, but that has never been the case in Sleeping Dogs. I absolutely love driving around the city, sometimes from one far point to another just to do a side mission.

Obviously, the game's strongest suit is the different combat. I loved the game's depiction of martial arts, and the upgrades were fun to do.

The second point is having a likable protagonist. Wei Shen is someone who enjoys to control, and one you feel connected to his inner turmoil between his past, his duty as a cop, and his hometown that he feels an obligation to. I felt it was nicely done.

Also, while being a minor thing, the lighting in that game and the settings in general are wonderful. Driving at night in the rain under the neon lights has a nice feeling.

What is more baffling is the fact that other than its combat, everything else in the game is... serviceable.

The driving, the shooting, the story, and the side missions all are fairly good, but nothing stands out. The game also has issues, particularly with its mission structure. While the dual system is a nice novelty, at some point, every mission becomes do a car chase, kill some thugs.

It is not terrible by any means , but the repetitiveness of it is felt fairly quickly even though there is also some variety to the mission, whether main or side ones.

Yet, I seem to enjoy this game more with each playthrough.

So, ERA residents, what are your Sleeping Dogs. What games have you come to love paradoxically as you don't seem to like similar games.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I hate tactics RPGs but loved Fire Emblem Awakening.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I typically don't like platformers of any kind, but I love Ratchet and Clank. I really enjoy the weapon variety and RPG elements in them.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hate turned-based Japanese RPGs but loved Persona 4 Golden. I mean, I still hated the dungeons and they were a chore but the rest of the game was so good I put up with it.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Have been disinterested in every fighting game I've tried, yet love me some Smash Bros.

Another example would be my dislike of shooters while Halo 1-3 are some of my most cherished titles.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Despise is a strong word, but there are some games I adore in genres I don't care for.

Dungeon Crawler: SMT Strange Journey
Visual Novels: Steins;Gate
FPS Shooter: Titanfall 2, DOOM
"Anime" games: Project Diva Future Tone

Still waiting on an RTS, CRPG, and a point-n-click adventure to surpass my genre biases.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Defintely mario + rabbids. I've never been a fan of the xcom turn based games but I loved every second of it .

Nov 18, 2017
Dislike Musuos but Ive beat hyrule warriors twice and ill probably get it a third time eventually when it comes down in price on switch.

I find most Visual Novels either fall into one of 2 camps for me, too lecherous or too cringey. The fact these games tend to almost exclusively have anime aesthetics certainly doesn't help but damn did Phoenix Wright get its hooks in me. Superb little franchise, really wish theyd bring those out in HD.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hyrule Warriors the thread

EDIT: lol, posted at the same time as the comment above ^

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Never been a fan of tactical RPGs, but I love XCOM2.

Dislike Musuos but Ive beat hyrule warriors twice and ill probably get it a third time eventually when it comes down in price on switch.

I find most Visual Novels either fall into one of 2 camps for me, too lecherous or too cringey. The fact these games tend to almost exclusively have anime aesthetics certainly doesn't help but damn did Phoenix Wright get its hooks in me. Superb little franchise, really wish theyd bring those out in HD.

Hyrule Warriors the thread

EDIT: lol, posted at the same time as the comment above ^
Does that game really stand out from other Musou titles? I have had my eye on that one for a while, but having played a few Musou games and not digging them at all, I was hesitant.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not exactly one of my favorites, but I really liked Rocket League. The only variation of football I can enjoy. :)

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Jrpg. Not a fan of the dialogs/turn based grind. except for xenoblade ( love this series ) and recently Final fantasy ( only 15 though) not a fan of. .other Final fantasy games.

Nba street only series of sports games I ever got into.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't enjoy JRPG's... but Bloodborne is awesome.

Also not a fan of racing games, but CTR, Burnout 3, and Wipeout HD were exceptions.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
It was JRPG's particularly due to random battles, but then I really liked Golden Sun. Now I'm digging Octopath.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Picross 3D.

Not a big fan of puzzle games but I put at least 30 or 40 hours into this game. And I really hope that a Switch version is released soon.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Hate turned-based Japanese RPGs but loved Persona 4 Golden. I mean, I still hated the dungeons and they were a chore but the rest of the game was so good I put up with it.

Sounds like you need to play some visual novels, since the rest of the game is basically a VN.

I'm not a fan of JRPGs but I loved Chtulhu Saves The World. It made me realize that I don't really hate the mechanics, it's just that they're often dragged on for way too long. CSTW is just 15 hours long and never stops being funny. Persona 4 is good but 80 hours is way too much for its combat system and even the story has lots of filler.

Nov 18, 2017
Does that game really stand out from other Musou titles?

I've only dabbled with a handful of other musuos and never for very long. HW seems par for the course as far as I can tell, with my admittedly limited perspective on the genre.

But the sentiment I see online often, is that it is one of the better games in the genre. I just really enjoyed the Zelda set dressing, its a great little time waster while listening to podcasts/watching TV/waiting around. But it isn't what I would call deep gameplay at all.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also in the camp of hating most JRPGs but enjoying Persona. At least 5, which is the one I played (only past the first dungeon). Still not a fan of turn-base combat, but the style, music and characters made it worth it.

And yeah, Hyrule Warriors also. :)

May 3, 2018
I find driving games kinda boring, even arcades, but i really love split second. That game deserve more appreciation

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
not sure it's a genre, but i hate turn based games, and yet divinity is one of the best games i've ever played. i think the fact it is co-op and has such a dynamic system that utilizes elements in logical ways (rain extinguishes fire, ice freezes water, fire turns water to steam, electricity and steam make lighting, heat warms and improved burning chance, water de-buffs fire enemies etc etc) helped it a lot. it was fun just seeing how things worked.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I hate turn based combat games but South Park is one two of my favorite games and I'm not even a big SP fan.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Japanese SRPG/TRPG. I hate the genre, I'm ready to eviscerate Valkyria Chronicles at any given chance. Still, I immensely enjoy Matsuno's output (mainly FFT and Tactics Ogre).

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't actually hate that genre, you just vastly overestimated your own dislike of it because everything has to be love or hate.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Sleeping Dogs for me is the only GTA-like I can play, like and love. It's great and it makes me really sad that we won't get a sequel. :'(

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
The only Strategy RPG I've enjoyed over the years is the original Shining Force. I thought I'd like XCOM but it never clicked for me. I still haven't played a mainline Fire Emblem game, despite owning Awakening for years. Maybe that'll be the one that really hooks me.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Sleeping Dogs for me is the only GTA-like I can play, like and love. It's great and it makes me really sad that we won't get a sequel. :'(

Yeah. Same here. But I have a very very dim glimmer of hope that Square Enix realizes that they there hasn't been an open world release with modern settings for a while, and they capitalize on that.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dislike many genres.

CoD and BF are the only reason I play FPS's.

Burnout Paradise was my first truly liked car game because of its chilled social aspect.

Most Side-scroller-Puzzle-platformers look like shit, But I own a handful of Cinematic platformers.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I hate puzzle games (not Tetris puzzle games, but actually solving puzzles) but think Portal is great.

I generally hate the Rockstar open world formula but I really loved Bully.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Turn–based (J)RPG's were never the right fit for me, but I consider Persona 5 to be a classic due to its style, characters and even the combat – easily my least liked aspect of previous Persona games.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I can't stand TRPGs but I FFT is my favorite game.

This is because my reaction to any TRPG is: "This isn't FFT."

I mainly like it for the character building system, to me the actual battles are mainly places to test and refine my character builds.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
So people are saying they enjoy Persona 5 right? I should soon see Persona series to overtake the FF series due to this thread.