• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I hate first party console exclusive.

I really hate third party console exclusive.

I don't need exclusivity on PC space.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
There is an inherent contradiction in Epic's store supposedly being a good thing for developers struggling to keep the lights on while the store will be off-limits to 90% of them.

It's the exclusive boys-club feel of the whole damned thing that rubs me the wrong way. Epic and the developers and industry people telling us how all this is great for the industry but it's great for the already established and reputable and those with personal connections with Epic employees. Basically fuck everyone else except for the select few.

Yeah, I don't buy their PR.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
The whole "starving developers" argument thing really falls apart for me the moment a dev accepts an upfront payment from Epic. I get why they might do it (though in case of Kickstarter titles, that's still spitting in the faces of people who initially supported their vision), and I respect whatever motivations they may have to keep the lights on, keep food on the table, financial security, etc.

But here's the funny part: once they accept the payout, they automatically stop being the "at risk game developers" . So, by this weird logic that I'm supposed to be a parton of games as art, rather than simply a discerning consumer, it's better for the industry that I support anyone other than a dev sponsored by Epic- because the games available though steam, GOG or itch.io don't have this financial cushion from Epic, and, it would follow, they need my money even more--for all the same reasons.

This is amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your position. Here is my main issue with the core of your argument: You claim that Steam doesn't do enough for small developers to justify the 30% cut while sidestepping the fact that Steam is the only major platform out there that gives these small developers a chance to reach a large audience. Every other platform would not give these small developers a spot on their store, never mind the absolutely huge set of tools and features that come free of charge with Steam.

So Steam does nothing for the small developer but I can open Steam right now and buy a $0.99 game made by a bedroom coder. That game would never, ever get released on any other platform and it certainly wouldn't have comprehensive controller support, a full set of online functionality, mod support, Big Picture support, Linux support and so on. All these other platforms that supposedly offer much more for their cut are only interested in that type of small game only if it somehow breaks out and becomes a massive hit.

Developers cheering for Epic are doing so because they are sure that their game would never be rejected by the store. They are wrong. They think they'll swim in money and they don't realize that Epic has already cut off hundreds, maybe thousands of smaller developers from its store. Over time they will realize that 90% of them will get screwed over by curation so that the 10% can have increased profits. It is already happening on all platforms except Steam yet they keep walking like Lemmings towards their own doom.

Indeed. It is cringeworthy to see so many clamor for "curation" as if it's some kind of benefit. Where on earth did this idea come from? It really does confuse me when people say nonsense like "buried under tons of asset flips" - this simply does not happen. I suppose it's a lot easier to accept than "the game I made actually wasn't one of the best" for the devs who stir up this narrative, the "indiepocalypse" etc. They can't think like that, so obviously their game wouldn't be curated away, just the shit no-effort ones like Assault Android Cactus, Opus Magnum and ... wait :(

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
It's origin and windows store level of features and games at the moment. I don't see it as a steam competitor.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing.

Indeed. It is cringeworthy to see so many clamor for "curation" as if it's some kind of benefit. Where on earth did this idea come from? It really does confuse me when people say nonsense like "buried under tons of asset flips" - this simply does not happen. I suppose it's a lot easier to accept than "the game I made actually wasn't one of the best" for the devs who stir up this narrative, the "indiepocalypse" etc. They can't think like that, so obviously their game wouldn't be curated away, just the shit no-effort ones like Assault Android Cactus, Opus Magnum and ... wait :(

It's an odd one for sure because it doesn't really line up with my experience at all and I'm sure many others. What I find is that good games are buried by great ones. Because PC is almost infinitely backwards compatible, you're competing against a HUGE library that spans multiple "generations". While, for example, on Switch early on in the system's life I could settle for something mediocre to have to play on it, on PC you instantly have access to all the best games from today and yesteryear provided you have the proper hardware. The thing that's keeping me from playing new releases that aren't doing super fresh stuff in their respective genres is that there are an innumerable amount of other games that do. Discovery tools on Steam and community recommendations have gotten me to add nearly 300 games to my wishlist. When will I ever find the time to play all of those? I won't. Especially considering I already have 500 more unplayed games on my library.

I do think that a very strictly curated store like Epic's has value. Like others have said, you go there and everything is definitely above a certain level of quality. If you're super casual and just want to quickly pick a something up and you don't already have a massive wishlist elsewhere, limited choice makes things easier.

I am really interested to see how the store will do and operate once they open things up by the end of this year. How will publishing work? How many games will be added weekly? What will be featured on the landing page? I can wrap my head around their current plan, but it's hard to imagine how their very narrow approach will adapt to a much larger number of games on the service.

Last edited:

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
Those are games that uses the Unreal Engine, not games made by Epic Games.

Surely there are 30 or so games made by epic on that list though.

So yeah, it is a little dumb to say Epic are "now only known for Fortnite"
I'd say it's more than a little dumb, it's moronic. Epic is one of the most influential forces in the entire industry, precisely because of the Unreal Engine, and related programs like Epic MegaGrants.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The store page for egs is already starting to become a shit show too. So annoying to have to scroll down through all these giant icons.

They're not gonna fix it either, if they haven't changed their stance on that you already know what you want, when you go the Epic Games Store.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's more than a little dumb, it's moronic. Epic is one of the most influential forces in the entire industry, precisely because of the Unreal Engine, and related programs like Epic MegaGrants.
It is worth to note that Epic has been giving grants to all sort of organisations for a long time, way before they got huge with the Fortnite money, so they are not just doing this for the publicity. Epic MegaGrants is just their latest iteration.

So yeah, it is rather mind blowing to see people saying that they do nothing to contribute to the gaming industry.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You want to delay games by six months before they hit steam? Generally in PC land we are used to things taking 10 years. If anything Epic are making games come to steam quicker by opening up their wallets for no particularly good reason.

So thanks Epic, keep pissing away that fortnite cash and I'll see those games when they show up a bit later on.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
But competition? Surely somehow this is competition and it helps make steam better or something? /s

Oh it is and it will, sadly our brains are not big enough to understand Tim's grand plan. Trust him, it will trickle down eventually.

It's the exclusive boys-club feel of the whole damned thing that rubs me the wrong way. Epic and the developers and industry people telling us how all this is great for the industry but it's great for the already established and reputable and those with personal connections with Epic employees. Basically fuck everyone else except for the select few.

Yeah, I don't buy their PR.

This situation is perfectly fine for Epic because they want to court big developers and publishers but I am honestly baffled as to why smaller devs think that supporting an exclusive club is beneficial to them.

We are going for an employment rate of 100%, not by creating jobs, but by killing the jobless

That's how it feels like. Games are not selling as well as expected so let's ostracize most developers so that those who remain will have better sales.

Developers spent years complaining about Valve's strict curation which had the result of big profits for a lucky few and starvation for everyone else. Eventually Valve let everyone in and now developers want to go back? It's just crazy, it makes zero sense for 90% of them.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Developers spent years complaining about Valve's strict curation which had the result of big profits for a lucky few and starvation for everyone else. Eventually Valve let everyone in and now developers want to go back? It's just crazy, it makes zero sense for 90% of them.

With all due respect you are not on the inside making these deals so how can you conclude to know better? As a consumer it'ss not good but for them it may be.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
I hate first party console exclusive.

I really hate third party console exclusive.

I don't need exclusivity on PC space.

To be fair, they've existed way before EGS. Titanfall being exclusive to origin really held it back sales wise. Same about Forza being tied to Microsoft store (this one still hurts, release it on steam, please).

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Developers want curation but only if they're the ones that get in; I think people forget they're just companies trying to make a buck.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again we go full circle because you are not speaking on behalf of those making the games or those who made the deals.

Sorry but you're not liberating me because I already know how the Epic Store is but like I said before, content is king just like ever other device /platform.

Of course if a better store exists that has the same game for r the same price the answers are much simpler.
Multiple better stores exist, EGS barely has the content because i
It is worth to note that Epic has been giving grants to all sort of organisations for a long time, way before they got huge with the Fortnite money, so they are not just doing this for the publicity. Epic MegaGrants is just their latest iteration.

So yeah, it is rather mind blowing to see people saying that they do nothing to contribute to the gaming industry.
I don't think anyone including myself is saying they do nothing to contribute to the game industry especially with the unreal engine but all my posts are specifically referring to the egs which i stand by isn't a good thing especially with how they are handling it and the exclusives.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Y'know, it's good that these developers got money up-front to offset the cost of development, but I wonder, have any developers released a game on epic, and discussed how much the exclusivity deal has affect their sales?

There's only so much money you can make doing buisness exclusively on a controversial storefront, and I'm worried this is gonna end up biting these developers in the ass eventually. Not all of these games are gonna convince people to buy on Epic, and there have been enough basic foibles to deter people thus far.

I guess thankfully some are also selling on consoles, and they only have PC exclusivity, but many are not, and will be heavily affected by public opinion, and will likely lose out heavily on first-week sales.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hate is a strong word.

Let's say I strongly dislike the Epic Game Store. Generally they seem to be against long term consumer interests. The free games are nice but are also a fleeting thing. Their negative PR campaigns against Steam are so transparent too, it just makes them look bad.

I would be happy for devs that they are benefiting if it did not come at my expense. I am not a dev so I'll look after myself first, which is what these devs are doing, and not tone down the bickering thank you very much. As a consumer the two tools if we don't like something are not spending our money and our bickering and I'll happily exercise both.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I have been boycotting the EGS. The free games are so clearly just buying an install base for an otherwise poor quality platform. Their supposed reasoning (even if taken at face value) has nothing to do with me and what benefits me as a player.

The free games, are a trade: take free games, in exchange Epic can tell publishers/investors they have 100M users.

In the short term, maybe that's good. You get some (mostly older) games, most of which you probably won't play because there's always too many good games on your list. In the long term it means the games you're most excited about will be restricted to a primitive PC gaming portal. EGS is a huge step back in integrated features, more comparable to EA Origin than Steam. It's like going from PS4 system features to PS2 level. Most of what Steam offers at an API level across all games is just gone on EGS. It's only built to be a store, a downloader, and a launcher. Even in those tasks it's barebones.

I think the best thing to do for the health of PC gaming *from a players perspective* is to not install EGS, uninstall it if you have it, and delete your account.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
With all due respect you are not on the inside making these deals so how can you conclude to know better? As a consumer it'ss not good but for them it may be.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not talking about the developers that take these deals, I'm talking about small developers that will most certainly be excluded if the EGS gains traction. They are rooting for Epic against their own interests.

Developers want curation but only if they're the ones that get in; I think people forget they're just companies trying to make a buck.

These people being primarily other developers. Mostly of the small developer variety who will be pushed out of the market and lose their livelihood if a tightly curated store like EGS becomes the main way of distributing games on PC.

Oct 25, 2017
The Epic Store is good for developers that are paid to use it and neutral at best for anybody else.
Best case scenario is, you don't care about any store features, you don't care about shitty business practices and you are not having a bad time using the Epic Store.

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not talking about the developers that take these deals, I'm talking about small developers that will most certainly be excluded if the EGS gains traction. They are rooting for Epic against their own interests.
I think the tight curation is only temporary, mostly out of necessity. I can see them opening up more and more as they gain a bigger marketshare. Same with the exclusivity deals and the free games. They only exist to force EGS into the market. Once the customers are there, there will be no need for them anymore.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think the tight curation is only temporary, mostly out of necessity. I can see them opening up more and more as they gain a bigger marketshare. Same with the exclusivity deals and the free games. They only exist to force EGS into the market. Once the customers are there, there will be no need for them anymore.

Then those that make it into the store will lose the benefits of curation, right?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Then those that make it into the store will lose the benefits of curation, right?
File this logical fallacy into the same category as "Epic need to do exclusives because there's no way they can match Steam's features" whilst also saying "Valve have been resting on their laurels for years".

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Epic won't be offering discoveribility/visibility for games that make it there, so yeah only those chosen benefit from it.
Others have to go via their pay 5-20% to streamers to get any visibility (or that is their plan according to Galyonkin)

I'd imagine this means it's more like Humble Widget, you just get link you can sell game with until it's profitable to display your game on their limited slots on front page. Similar to how Valve's initial plan for Steam Direct was.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
How is it a logical fallacy? Are you confusing me with another poster?

He means that the OP's position (games get more exposure due to the limited number of titles) and your position (Epic will eventually open up and let a lot more games in) are contradictory because you can't have both at the same time.

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
He means that the OP's position (games get more exposure due to the limited number of titles) and your position (Epic will eventually open up and let a lot more games in) are contradictory because you can't have both at the same time.
Of course, nobody is claiming that. I just think the strict curation (and thus the exposure benefit) is temporary.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, they've existed way before EGS. Titanfall being exclusive to origin really held it back sales wise. Same about Forza being tied to Microsoft store (this one still hurts, release it on steam, please).

A company wanting to sell their games exclusively on their launcher is understandable.

The games Epic's locking down as exclusives aren't their games.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
A company wanting to sell their games exclusively on their launcher is understandable.

The games Epic's locking down as exclusives aren't their games.

Yep, thinking about it, you're entirely right, it's on a whole other level.

I can blame EGS to try to be relevant in the market, but damn if I hate exclusive shenaningan on PC.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i know they've said that they're eventually going to add a lot more games but has epic said they're actually going to open up like steam?

i guess it doesn't really matter since they backtrack and go against basically every statement they make

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
i know they've said that they're eventually going to add a lot more games but has epic said they're actually going to open up like steam?

i guess it doesn't really matter since they backtrack and go against basically every statement they make

Yeah, there's no way to actually know what they're going to do until the time comes.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, nobody is claiming that. I just think the strict curation (and thus the exposure benefit) is temporary.
I actually have a bit of doubts with this regard.

Nowadays devs expect to be paid to get on the EGS. Once that stops, people are probably going to be pissed for one since Epic didn't allow then to get in on the good times.

Second, at that point, they basically break their talking points about visibility issues that can seen on steam. Right now, mainly new titles on epic store get the exposure. All they're doing is being hypocrites if they open it up.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should get some Amazon tech that recommend things based on what games you played or looked at on the store pages, like steam which I'm sure is why they are ok with you buying steam only games on key resellers. Who knows what Steam does with all that data outside of recommends, but like Google it's valuable I'm sure.

I say maybe they should but I hope they really don't. I tried finding out if I could block info from valve on google, and when I'm tempted to click a cute puppy video on youtube I put it in incognito because I'm tired of youtube recommending me more cute animal videos. The age of advertising in the internet age is getting worse and worse with AI and whatever algorithm that make it so effective. When it comes to game stores I know what I want if I'm going there to buy something.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

These people being primarily other developers. Mostly of the small developer variety who will be pushed out of the market and lose their livelihood if a tightly curated store like EGS becomes the main way of distributing games on PC.

Sounds like a bit of fear mongering thinking Epic will somehow erase other options out there if they don't sign with them. How far are you really going to try and stretch things to try and get your views across?

Oct 25, 2017
Hate is a strong word, I just like Steam and I don't want to support a store that doesn't have the features that Steam has and even less support the whole "buying exclusives" thing.

I might eventually, but right now I just don't care.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a bit of fear mongering thinking Epic will somehow erase other options out there if they don't sign with them. How far are you really going to try and stretch things to try and get your views across?

If you feel like I'm stretching things, present your argument. Let's say that Epic manages to become the dominant force of digital distribution on PC. How many games do you think that the store will have available and what is that future like for small developers?

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
As long it has not a big influnence on how good a game is, I don't see why a store should be the main reason why I don't want to play it. I don't like exclusivity, but at least it is easy to handle on PC. In the end you still can play everything on one system and with one launcher (most of the time).

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you feel like I'm stretching things, present your argument. Let's say that Epic manages to become the dominant force of digital distribution on PC. How many games do you think that the store will have available and what is that future like for small developers?
You're the one trying to present your own argument with no actual evidence anything like that will ever occur. Steam will remain dominant for a very long time and the only reason why it wouldn't would be is if Epic ever turns out to be a better store, not by spending money going after key titles.

Your argument makes no sense and is only proposed by you in attempts to gain alliance in not supporting Epic. Most people know it's not a very good store and is mainly used for gaining free games and exclusives. So how do you go from there to being a dominant store,? Seems like you're just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks.

You just said why would anyone use it and now you're proposing it could be the dominant store?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
"To me" Nvidia being the only way to play certain games would be splitting the PC into exclusives, or AMD/Radeon. I say this because I don't really limit myself on this open platform, I would even buy games on Microsoft store if I wanted one.

Gsync monitors was a thing I was not going to touch because I want the option of buying a Radeon card and thankfully Nvidia folded and now allow Freesync monitors to work on their cards. I'm no fan of Nvidia's raytracing solution and even if I was I wouldn't buy into it yet since it still looks like it's in a lab rat or guinea pig testing situation with early adopters. I can easily wait until a more open solution that works on any card comes much further down the line where the performance hit isn't so big, or it's worth having that hit.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I don't oppose the concept of the Epic Games Store, but I think they should be funding development of games from the ground up in return for exclusivity, not snatching games from Steam at the last minute.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Posted over on Reddit @ https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckepic/
afuvps67qoc31.png

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is: not a single one of those tweets is new information.

It feels like there is this tedency that - the more you're aware of the whole situation - the more you will probably not support the EGS. The same goes also the other way: beeing less informed (or you simply don't care) makes it more likely that you will accept or support the EGS.

You can't explain all those "I'm a console gamer but you PC folks will now listing to what I think beeing a PC player should be like, and you guys better agree with me" posts with pure randomness. There have been too many of these posts in the last 8 months and it's usually the non-PC players that will go for a hard EGS defense.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
On steam, you're selling directly to the market, with little help but very few barriers for entry. And if you make a lot of sales, you can get enough to pay your salary on the game you made.

On epic, you're selling to epic, and if you make the sale, you get a lot of guaranteed money, which will almost certainly set you up for the future.

Neither of these are particularly pro or anti indie compared to eachother -- they both benefit certain kinds of developers, in certain circumstances.

But as a gamedev and also somebody who like, knows absolutely anything about business, i'm really glad more big players are taking the second route. I hope a lot more follow epics path, including, ideally, steam. Ultimately, consumers' concerns (which regard whether they can play a fun game in their preferred way) are trivial compared to the concerns of workers and developers (which regard to whether they can survive and pay rent).
The problem with selling to a company instead of selling to the market is that it may only be a one time deal. Epic could decide that your game did not garner enough interest for them to invest in your next project. And since you never "sold to the market" in the first place... you might not have a market to fall back on after that first game. You got a nice stack of cash to support your first project but if there was no genuine interest gained or nurtured with consumers... what are you going to do in the future? In the most extreme cases, developers have actively pushed consumers away by going back on their promises. So now they have a negative reputation going forward instead of a neutral one. So option B is definitely not certain to set developers up for the future.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing is: not a single one of those tweets is new information.

It feels like there is this tedency that - the more you're aware of the whole situation - the more you will probably not support the EGS. The same goes also the other way: beeing less informed (or you simply don't care) makes it more likely that you will accept or support the EGS.

You can't explain all those "I'm a console gamer but you PC folks will now listing to what I think beeing a PC player should be like, and you guys better agree with me" posts with pure randomness. There have been too many of these posts in the last 8 months and it's usually the non-PC players that will go for a hard EGS defense.
I for one only play on the PC so please don't speak on behalf of the whole PC community thinking we should all share the same views. Content is king, just like it is on consoles, and Epic knows it is the best way to gain traction by getting exclusives. On top of that they will throw in some free games and hopefully more sales. I don't think you will find many, or even very few, who think the Epic store is the best place to get games from. If a game is on there and nowhere else or won;'t be for a long time then chances are they will use it.