• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Among old and cult games that I dislike, Super Mario Bros Trilogy is probably in the top tier.

There are several factors that make me dislike it, like the lack of saving system in the original series(though yes there are ways t skip levels) and the crazy expectation you are going to press the run button to skip obstacles, the game being already hard enough without running.

And when I think about that series, it's rival sister on the game boy comes to mind: the Super Mario Land trilogy. Though it appeared later, that series benefits from being slower, allowing you to avoid danger more easily, giving you easy ways to get bonus lives, giving you a save system in SML2 and Wario Land.

Even the first Super Mario Land feels less frustrating, shorter and easily doable in 45 minutes after a bit of training. Any game that comes after the Bros trilogy feels more accessible and less frustrating,any.

That's probably why I prefer Kirby over SMB(sure Kirby is more recent)and any Mario game after. Between the axes to dodge, the flying guy that sends thunder, the expectation you are going to run, the lack of a decent save system or megaman-like password system after every level beaten...

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
When you say SMB trilogy you are including SMB3 right because if you are. . .

SMB3 is one of the best games ever. Shit has not aged.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Unless you're playing on OG hardware, you can probably use save states at the end of each level and that seems like it would fix a lot of the issues you have with the games

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I feel like I'm reading crazy talk. SMB1 and 3 are masterclasses in game design. Sorry, but I can't agree at all, OP. SMB3 in particular runs circles across the Land trilogy.

Do you really need saves with games these short? You can always use save states like the above poster said

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I actually dislike in the 2D Marios games of today is how slow he runs. He's downright pokey now.

But I'll agree that I wish SMB3 had a save system like SMW.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm reading crazy talk. SMB1 and 3 are masterclasses in game design. Sorry, but I can't agree at all, OP. SMB3 in particular runs circles across the Land trilogy.

Do you really need saves with games these short? You can always use save states like the above poster said
I try to force myself to not use saves when the game didnt feature them originally but you are right i did use them and it felt frustrating.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros. doesn't need a save system. If you warp, you can finish the game in 15 minutes. If you don't, you can finish the game in 45 minutes.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If you need saving (which, admittedly, SMB3 does) then lemme tell you about Super Mario All Stars

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SMB3 lacking a save system is the biggest issue with the game. Modern save states make it better though.

Disagree hard on the Land trilogy being better. SMB1 and SMB3 run circles around those games. SML1 in particular is really weak given how short it is, the physics, lack of precision due to sprite sizes, and so on.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda agree. NES games are way past my time but i like to visit them for the history and whatnot and everytime I try to get into Super Mario Bros 3, I end up dropping out before the game is finished. It's just way too difficult for me and I can't wrap my head around the controls and how to make em work in my favor. Same with Super Mario Bros 1.

It's not like I even hate sides rollers either. Celeste, End is nigh, and super meat boy were all super great games. Maybe I just like them better tho because they are way more forgiving than the old Mario games since you only start at the beginning of the screen if you fail, not the whole world.

So I can relate OP. I know it's the unpopular opinion but I don't know if I can ever really get into the NES Mario trilogy.

btw super Mario land 2 is God tier, I love that game.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros. 3 is actually a perfect video game. I'm not even sure there are 100 platformers better than Mario 3 to this day (and certainly not any that didn't take design lessons from this game).

Ain't no Game Boy Mario Land game fucking with NES Mario series...and absolutely not Mario 3, lol

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Are you maybe victim of intense input lag due to your setup/TV which makes these games harder than they actually are?

Super Mario Bros. 3 is an absolute masterpiece. The game constantly showers you with 1-ups, so I don't see how anyone would have trouble with it. I beat this as an 8-year old kid. If all else fails, use the goomba pipe trick in 1-2 to build up a comfortable stack of lives.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't like SMB1 all that much either, but really, what's not to like about SMB3?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the Land games feel like Bootleg Mario

it's only fitting that the series was eventually taken over by an actual Bootleg Mario

grand

Oct 25, 2017
KrpOEV6.gif

Nov 13, 2017
Agreed. I like Mario in general, but I really dislike all 3 of these - for some reason, I just don't have fun playing them. For me, NSMB series, and SMW amongst 2D games especially are much better.

solidr

Oct 28, 2017
Wut, last week I beat smb3 playing all levels without save states and only take me like 2 hours
Another thing who surprised me was the levels are so short, I remember more long.
Git gud

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For the PAL kid I was at the EU release, SMB2 was a next-gen game compared to SMB1. Animation, systems, characters, all the marioverse is there.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry but I'd replay Mario 2 (the not USA one) over and of the Lands. I've tried playing Land 1 & 3 in the past an could never push myself ta progress very far cause of how un-Mario-like they were, plus how boring they felt. Same issues I had with SMB2 USA tbh.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like knowing the age of the posters in this thread would be helpful in understanding their complaints

I get the impression that most people who say NES games are unplayable are under 25

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The games are like an hour or two long, why do you need saves?

I replay the classic SMB games more than any others, because they're so easy to just sit down and play through in a couple hours or less. Still fun as well.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like knowing the age of the posters in this thread would be helpful in understanding their complaints

I get the impression that most people who say NES games are unplayable are under 25
I'm sure there are a lot are young posters but I know quite a few people in my age range (mid 40s) that grew up with 8-bit games and would never play them today (their loss). They probably don't post on gaming message boards but I still think it's a pretty common attitude.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
What puts them in the top tier of dislike compared to the tons of other '80s and '90s platformers with no save functions?
Well Megaman(more like an action platformer I agree) feautres at least a password system.I am 34 and I played mostly on microcomputer which had a lot of hard games as well.
In terms of pure platformers I can't think or games other than SMB or Sonic on main consoles

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The games are like an hour long, why do you need saves?

I replay the classic SMB games more than any others, because they're so easy to just sit down and play through in a couple hours or less. Still fun as well.
SMB3's about 5 hours long warpless, which is definitely "could really use a save feature" tier.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I don't believe that you are playing these on original hardware these days, so your complaint about a lack of save feature is ridiculous. And you can't handle running and platforming at the same time? Yikes.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe that you are playing these on original hardware these days, so your complaint about a lack of save feature is ridiculous. And you can't handle running and platforming at the same time? Yikes.
I never truly associated running to platforming. In games like SM64 or SM3DFworld or on the gameboy games you didntreally need running .i played smb on 2DS and yes you have save states. What I mean is I don't understand there was no way to restore progress "by design".(it could have been done with passwords if saves would have made game more expensive).

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You can beat Super Mario NES games in about 3 hours or less, why do you need saves? Anyway All Stars versions of SMB 1-3 have save function so play those versions I guess

And yeah you need to learn how to handle platforming while running because that's an essential skill for most games in the genre

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
They have saves on modern platforms.

Having said that, I think this maybe be the worst take I've ever read here, which is quite an achievement.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You can't save in them? Really happy I played All-Stars then instead of the NES versions.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
cult games, eh?

different strokes and all but one thing i'll rebut you on is the 'no saves' thing. back then that was intrinsic to the gameplay back then, coins and 1up shrooms meant something and had to be prioritized, risk reward of that precariously placed ? block had to be weighed

that said probably no way i'd play the games today without a save function. but different time, different gaming habits

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the All-Stars versions by a mile personally, but they're absolutely great, SMB3 being the number one.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
"hard enough without running".

LOL

Funniest and strangest thing I've read in ages.

My 13 yr old is used to stupidly easy modern platformers and she got to SMB1 world 8-2 without that much difficulty.

Are you one of those weird people that never learned how to press 2 buttons at once by using your thumb/finger joint? My wife is one of those...my 13 yr old also struggles with this.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
i played smb on 2DS and yes you have save states. What I mean is I don't understand there was no way to restore progress "by design".(it could have been done with passwords if saves would have made game more expensive).

Why is this a problem for you since basically every release since then has enabled saving in some form, either in-game (SM All-Stars) or save states (Virtual Console)?

You don't have to play by 1985 NES standards anymore if you don't want to.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Disagree about the Mario Land series, but the Wario Land series: absolutely. All time forever classics.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Euh, you CAN continue where you died in the original Super Mario Bros. Press A+Start at the main menu.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
588.gif

I mean FUCK SMB1, it's outdated as shit nowadays cause it's the foundation

BUT SMB2? SMB3?

IN WHAT WORLD