• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
This makes it pretty obvious that OP is trolling.
perhaps there is a misunderstanding on the adjective cult, in French it could be replaced with"mythical. It is not intended to sound pejorative.I did nlt use it as in "a cult" but ad an adjective and word reference did not specify that it could sound pejorative this way.

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
When I was younger I played Yoshi's Island on GBA before playing any Super Mario Bros game. When I did play one I couldn't believe Yoshi was the spinoff and Mario Bros was the heralded series with a ton of entries. Yoshi's Island was (is) much, much better than the Mario Bros series.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
OP, I decided to try out old classic platformers to see if I'm gonna like them and the original Mario trilogy wasn't really my thing. It took me awhile to get the game (interesting enough Megaman and Sonic clicked instantly)

How in the fuck does Mario take you a while to get but Mega Man clicks instantly?
Not only are the Mega Man games harder than Mario, They're designed with the assumption that people have already mastered SMB before they play it. Since Mega Man builds heavily off the skills learned in SMB and can be brutal from the jump.

I'm having a difficult time imagining somebody constantly dying in Mario but breezing through Mega Man

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Mega Man being easier to grasp than Mario for some people just because he doesn't have any inertia

the games are definitely harder, though

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
The posts I quoted said the SMB games don't need saves which I disagree and I explained why.
The SMB games are try and error games, arcade style. In one level you have a sun chasing you, in the next you have to time your jumps perfectly to reach the goal. If you're playing them blind there's no way you gonna know what the gimmick of a level is without trying it first. The slippery controls don't help either. The run button was a hallelujah moment as well when it clicked with me. I haven't timed my SMB3 playtime but it sure wasn't 2-3 hours.

Well I would agree on that SMB 1-3 doesn't need a save function, just because they are arcade games. Especially SMB1. SMB2 (USA) was actually designed with a save function in Japan.

It is all about getting better each time you start it. However if you are one of those that don't enjoy that feel free to go for the more modern versions.

Must say that I wouldn't describe mario movement as slippery. Momentum maybe but not slippery.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
Between the axes to dodge, the flying guy that sends thunder

yes the axes enemies throw at you

Are you sure you're talking about the Mario games? I grew up playing SMB1-3 and still replay them from time to time and I don't recall any of this. Guy that sends thunder? Axes? Are you sure you're not thinking of Adventure Island? I'm pretty sure that series has both of those things. I can also see running causing issues for people in Adventure Island due to how the enemies and obstacles are sometimes placed, but complaining about running in a series of games that are basically the first big parkour games? SMB1-3 are designed around running. It's like complaining about all the shooting you have to do in Call of Duty and wishing for a version where you just slapped the enemies instead.

This has to be a troll thread.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure you're talking about the Mario games? I grew up playing SMB1-3 and still replay them from time to time and I don't recall any of this. Guy that sends thunder? Axes? Are you sure you're not thinking of Adventure Island? I'm pretty sure that series has both of those things. I can also see running causing issues for people in Adventure Island due to how the enemies and obstacles are sometimes placed, but complaining about running in a series of games that are basically the first big parkour games? SMB1-3 are designed around running. It's like complaining about all the shooting you have to do in Call of Duty and wishing for a version where you just slapped the enemies instead.

This has to be a troll thread.
replace axes with hammers then, they are very hard to dodge. I often confuse them with axes.. As for the thunder I am talking about the flying enemy that sits on a cloud.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the responses in this thread are the worst of what ResetEra has to offer, and honestly what sours me on spending too much time here. I guess some of you thinking it's a troll post excuses holier-than-thou belittling. Some of you are just as bad as as those you rail on from different forums. Terrible.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
How in the fuck does Mario take you a while to get but Mega Man clicks instantly?
Not only are the Mega Man games harder than Mario, They're designed with the assumption that people have already mastered SMB before they play it. Since Mega Man builds heavily off the skills learned in SMB and can be brutal from the jump.

I'm having a difficult time imagining somebody constantly dying in Mario but breezing through Mega Man
Because Megaman has a health bar maybe? You don't get killed that easily from the get go like in Mario. And I never said I breezed through Megaman? Talking about exaggerating... But yes, I had less problems with Megaman and Sonic, they were genuinely more fun what helped as well.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
replace axes with hammers then, they are very hard to dodge. I often confuse them with axes.. As for the thunder I am talking about the flying enemy that sits on a cloud.

In SMB everything time he appears just climb high and kill him. You can either stomp him or if you have a fire flower take him from a distance.

The hammer bros are harder to beat but for most levels it is not that hard to reach them with a fire flower.

SMB is actually quite straightforward when you get a hang of it. And no you don't need to use the run button all the time. Take it slow and easy in world 1-1 get the fire flower and start blow things up from a distance.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Mega Man being easier to grasp than Mario for some people just because he doesn't have any inertia

the games are definitely harder, though
the rock paper scissors syetm also makes it easier if you use boss weakness, and some upgrades bring quality of life like the magnet beam or later when the dog gets flying ability,etc. You can skip or make some areas much more manageable. So an area that feels as hard as diamond can become a bit better later

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Because Megaman has a health bar maybe? You don't get killed that easily from the get go like in Mario. And I never said I breezed through Megaman? Talking about exaggerating... But yes, I had less problems with Megaman and Sonic, they were genuinely more fun what helped as well.

Mega Man has a health bar but 10x the amount of enemies attacking you and much more complicated boss battles.

I mean, if you say it's easier, it's easier, but it's very, very much the uncommon opinion. I don't think I've played any 2D platformers more than Mario and Mega Man and I would still say the same thing.