• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
I played through these games last year for the first time on the Switch NES app earlier this year and made liberal use of the save system there. I'm not very good at platformers and saves really helped me get through the games and not get too frustrated. I still had a pretty good time, which is pretty high praise in my opinion for 35ish year old games that I don't have any nostalgia for.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Mario 3 could use a save feature but the other three NES Marios really don't. They really aren't that long.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
What is the running thing about? Are you complaining that you actually have to press a button to run? Like in DKC and many other platformers?

If so, yes, how old are you?

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I kinda agree. NES games are way past my time but i like to visit them for the history and whatnot and everytime I try to get into Super Mario Bros 3, I end up dropping out before the game is finished. It's just way too difficult for me and I can't wrap my head around the controls and how to make em work in my favor. Same with Super Mario Bros 1.

It's not like I even hate sides rollers either. Celeste, End is nigh, and super meat boy were all super great games. Maybe I just like them better tho because they are way more forgiving than the old Mario games since you only start at the beginning of the screen if you fail, not the whole world.

So I can relate OP. I know it's the unpopular opinion but I don't know if I can ever really get into the NES Mario trilogy.

btw super Mario land 2 is God tier, I love that game.

Super Meat Boy forgiving? Easier than any Mario game? Is this bizzaro world?

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
I totally understand when people say NES games are mostly unplayable and haven't aged well, but the Super Mario Series are the exception. I could sit and play any of the three right now and that would be my afternoon.

The 'running' complaint is weird, too. That is literally the mechanic of the game. It added a whole new component to platforming that didn't exist before.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand games that make you restart from the beginning.

Part of why All Stars is the best way to play SMB2 and 3.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I feel like knowing the age of the posters in this thread would be helpful in understanding their complaints

I get the impression that most people who say NES games are unplayable are under 25
I'm 30, played a ton of NES when I was a kid and owned maybe 20-25 games, but never managed to beat them without cheats. I enjoy them, but I'm just not very good at them and never have been

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun to go back to the old 2D marios for nostalgic reasons but I just can't get into those the same way after 3D marios became a thing. Probably because I've fallen out of love of "platforming" in general and 3D games tend to be far more forgiving in that regard. This is opposed to Mario Maker or Super Meat Boy where the difficulty seems like the draw of the game.

I'm 38 and I'm tired of overly difficult games which is probably why the Souls type games aren't interesting to me at all.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Super Mario Bros. 3 is actually a perfect video game. I'm not even sure there are 100 platformers better than Mario 3 to this day (and certainly not any that didn't take design lessons from this game).

Ain't no Game Boy Mario Land game fucking with NES Mario series...and absolutely not Mario 3, lol

There aren't even 10 platformers better than SMB3.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Super Mario Bros. 2 does not expect you to use the run button, the original version Doki Doki Panic didn't even have the ability to run.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
We didn't need saves back in the day. We played games until we could finish them in one sitting, then repeatedly continued to do so.

There are also shortcuts in those specific games.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I never understood how some people act like SMB3 is this ballbustingly difficult game. Is it purely the lack of saves? Because I beat the All-Star version when I was 7.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
I don't like SMB2 but SMB1 and SMB3 are masterpieces with perfect controls and feeling that put a lot of todays platform games to shame.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The first Super Mario is one of the greatest games of all time.

You can't overstate how good and influential it was when it was released.

Still perfectly playable today.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
My opinion has always been that the first game is good, the second one sucks, and the third game is just "ok." I actually agree with you that Super Mario Land is more fun, but not because it's easier; I just find the theme more interesting.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I would also probably not like Mario games if I couldn't run in them. I have the run button held down like 95% of the time. It's the way it's meant to be played.

Oct 27, 2017
They should also have added punching to Super Mario Bros. as well so you can just hit the goombas with punches and kicks like in Super Mario 64. That oughta make it fairer too, right?

... =|

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I largely disagree with just about everything stated in the OP, but I will say I do largely find Kirby games more interesting than Mario. But I also don't really consider those to be pure platformers, either (at least from Adventure onwards), so I don't think it's a fair comparison

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I never really liked Super Mario Land.

It feels like a pirate / unlicensed game in every single way, like the extremely wonky physics, the completely different music (like the public domain music when you get the star), the mechanics that are all similar, yet completely wrong (the fire flower bounces... everywhere? And the Koopas explode and you can't kick their shells?), the too cute ♥PAUSE♥ text when you pause the game, the random additions to the game that feel very inconsistent with anything else from Mario... It's just so weird. It doesn't feel right at all.

Mario Land 2 still has a lot of those weird moments, though not as much. And it's a much more solid game thanks to the much better physics, and hey, at least the Star music isn't public domain, lol. But it still feels very weird, very un-Mario at times.

Basically, I'm glad the team made Wario Land. Even though I'm not a fan of them, they at least made something derivative on their own that works very well.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
Super Meat Boy forgiving? Easier than any Mario game? Is this bizzaro world?

For me, yes lol (I ain't trolling)! I have tried numerous times to just sit down with Mario 1, 3, and World without save States and I get frustrated everytime. It feels less forgiving for me than something like Celeste or meat boy because like I said, you just try one screen over and over in those games. In Mario however, if you run out of lives, you get sent back to repeat levels you already did, which kills my vibe when I'm running through. I feel like I have more control in Celeste or meat boy or end is nigh as well. Different strokes I guess.

I really have tried to sit down with these old marios but most of them I cannot play without getting frustrated as hell.

(And btw no I don't think meat boy is "easier than any Mario game". I just think it is more forgiving than the old ones that set your progress back pretty far if you game over).

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Super Mario Bros. doesn't need a save system. If you warp, you can finish the game in 15 minutes. If you don't, you can finish the game in 45 minutes.

Even with a few deaths, it's easy (and really fun) to clear SMB in under 7 or 8 minutes.

I feel like OP couldn't have played many old games if the original NES Mario games are this difficult.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're a welcoming and accepting community of gaming enthusiasts, unless you don't meet some arbitrary standard of being good at games, in which case you can get fucked.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
We're a welcoming and accepting community of gaming enthusiasts, unless you don't meet some arbitrary standard of being good at games, in which case you can get fucked.

Come on, thinking running in Mario is some kind of baffling advanced technique is fair game for mockery.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
"Fair game for mockery"

Good to see nerds are just as good as finding reasons to be dicks as anyone else.

Mockery of the (franky ridiculous) opinion, not the person. No one is going so far as to say the OP is a bad person or idiot, just that his frame of reference is very, very limited as far as 2D platformers goes if he thinks running is too intense.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mockery of the (franky ridiculous) opinion, not the person. No one is going so far as to say the OP is a bad person or idiot, just that his frame of reference is very, very limited as far as 2D platformers goes if he thinks running is too intense.

It's being bad at a video game. It's not a thing where mockery should even enter the equation.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not big on Land 1 or 2, but Wario Land beats out SMB1 and 3 handily for me. I guess I just never got the appeal of the traditional 2D Mario gameplay. I played a lot of them, they were some of my first games, I am in the direct audience for being nostalgic for it -- but they were always ever just the games I played because they were the ones I had at the time. I never beat SMB1 or 3 "legitimately", ie. without some form of save years later.

But SMB2 USA rules.