• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Oh God, Game of Thrones and Star Wars...all in the same thread. They probably should cancel the movie, the internet would never survive it.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP spoke the truth and unsurprisingly GOT stans can't handle that hot fire, like they've been doing this entire season to anyone with even a single word of criticism to how shit has been handled.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Do what you have to do to sleep at night.
All this salt makes me want to see the reactions of those who named their kids khaleesi and had the dothraki tattoos

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
giphy.gif

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, D&D are terrible writers but people acting like the books doesn't have those problematic elements are just delusional. The white savior shit is still in the book.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Dudes suck but I'd still probably watch the movies at some point. I'm of the camp that doesn't even think the prequels are interesting aside from RotS (AotC in particular is mostly just an exercise in tedium), but I still watched those movies anyways.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
This is getting ridiculous. They've got big problems that need to be addressed, including better representation and more progressive content and awareness, but are people legitimately saying they're boycotting all of the products they're involved in? Does that include not watching the GoT finale next week?

Lucasfilm need to make sure there's a strong line up of women and PoC to write and direct though. They've failed miserably in that regard.

I get being upset that LF chose more white guys to helm a SW project (it pisses me off too, reflecting on the folks who have wrote and directed SW movies/shows since the Disney sale), there's no excuse for not having a diverse group of people that high up. But boycotting (especially conveniently after one of the more controversial characterizations in GoT history) is absurd.

^ This x 1000

What they've done to characters in GoT is nothing compared to Finn and Rose getting side-lined in a white-washed cast with white directors. Starwars has it's own issues it needs to resolve before we even start to worry about baggage from B&B.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be watching. GoT last night had me spontaneously think that
Dany's rise and fall was much more understandable and effective than Anakin's

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Lmao these overreactions keep the lol's rolling. I can't believe the amount hate this season is getting on GoT. People sure do get pissed when the thing they want/expect to happen, doesn't happen.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
So guess y'all just missed the part about how D&D's writing is hideously misogynistic and racist (and homophobic too, yay) and are instead going for the low hanging fruit of "doi hoi butthurt dany stans" because that's easier than critical thinking and admitting your fave tits and dragons TV show is, in fact, problematic garbage and offensive to everyone who isn't a cishet white man huh

I'm so fucking tired of me and other women on this site trying to point out sexism in GoT only to be met with hURR U MAD UR WAIFU DIDN'T WIN??? Please tell me where BDS said ANYTHING about wanting Dany to win. It's about their writing being offensive and hurtful on every level, and SHOCKINGLY, we don't believe that should be celebrated and rewarded. Such killjoys, us marginalised groups wanting to hold the biggest names in Hollywood to a bar slightly higher than "the ground".

👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 Some of these replies are embarrassing and I hope these posters are 15yos because if not..wow

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hum that's a great OP, especially with the edits and uhhhhh what the actual fuck at everything else in this thread. Fucking hell.

This is probably the most obvious, gigantic, and embarrassing thread about posters dismissing concerns about sexism, racism et al. Holy shit.

No words.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP. D&D have demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have no fucking idea whatsoever about what the hell they're doing unless they're strictly following someone else's roadmap and judging by how Star Wars has handled roadmaps in the past, well...

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hm, definitely more skeptical. Maybe a tighter leash and them not rushing things could do if their movies do go forward.

And the whole Disney killed Star Wars that some are posting here shall continue to be hyperbolic as hell.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
GRRM wrote Dany to be 13 years old when she was gifted as a bride to Khal Drogo, who was 27 or 28 at the time.

Not to mention the Starks were all younger in the books too than the TV show.

So, GRRM shouldn't be getting away untouched in that convo.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I have no stance on GoT since I haven't been able to get into it enough to have an opinion on the show, but the arguments of the problematic writing as well as general fan frustration with how the series has gone the last couple seasons does not really make me anticipate an apparent trilogy from them without even seeing one film.

I agree with OP that Lucasfilm seems to need to do some more vetting of their directors since it's bizarre that they have had so many disagreements with direction late in the game with multiple directors now. Just the idea of handing both Rian Johnson and D&D entire trilogies before getting one movie from either makes me think they are still making the same mistakes that made them decide to take a hiatus, but we'll see how that pans out.

At this point, the D&D hire does seem like another dud that they should change directions on before it's too late.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
shitty one liners and braindead fanservice makes them seem like they're a perfect fit for modern Star Wars tbh

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It blows my mind that HBO are developing a show as controversial as Confederate with writers this bad.
I forgot that that was the same showrunners developing it and didn't even realize at the time that a big part of the controversy was due to their work on Game of Thrones and (mis)handling of subjects like race as well as their hires and casting on both sides of the camera.

For HBO to be sticking to their guns on that show is baffling.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Man, D&D are terrible writers but people acting like the books doesn't have those problematic elements are just delusional. The white savior shit is still in the book.

Yes, the books have problematic elements. No, they aren't of the same magnitude as the show — because as you say, D&D are shitty writers, whereas GRRM is an eminently talented (but imperfect) writer.

There are racially problematic elements within the Essos storyline — chiefly, the Dothraki being a savage stereotype early on — but the "white savior shit" is... not quite there, no. Because the slavery of the books isn't the sort of American slavery that's centered around skin color, the type the show seized more on; the books' slavery is based more on the Greco-Roman sort, that was irrespective of skin color, and so doesn't usually suffer the same pitfalls as Daenerys crowd surfing on a tide of brown people.

If you want to talk about problematic elements within the books, I'm more than willing. There's:
  • The Dead Ladies' Club. i.e., Martin's exasperating tendency to kill, ignore, or otherwise write off female historical figures in ways that their male counterparts don't suffer. He often cites high historical maternal mortality rates, but historians within the fandom have exhaustively detailed why his series' rates are still disproportionate.
  • The fact that various important historical women don't even have names, which is again something the men don't contend with.
    • A key example of this is the unnamed Dornish Princess who ruled Dorne and mothered Doran, Oberyn, and Elia. She's an important historical figure, not just because she was a ruler, but because she outmaneuvered Tywin Lannister by securing Rhaegar Targaryen's hand in marriage for Elia, rather than Cersei — the prevailing reason Tywin ordered the assassination of Elia and her children during the Sack of King's Landing.
  • Various problematic instances of rape, although less than the show.
    • The show, for instance, infamously (and maybe unwittingly) had Jaime rape Cersei, when their fornication was always consensual in the books.
    • The show also relegated Jeyne Poole's horrible suffering — an egregious detail in the books that I think was wholly unnecessary — to Sansa, a main character, whose journey it didn't fit. Then tried to play it off as ~empowering~. Rape and abuse aren't empowering, something Martin at least seems to realize.
  • The strange and uncomfortable amount of child brides, again historically unprecedented in quantity, despite Martin's citing of history.
  • The age of the child protagonists in the series, although this is obviously an unintentional problem that arose because of his scrapping of the Five Year Gap, and so wouldn't necessarily be ascribable to a problematic mindset... except perhaps in the case of Daenerys being sold off and raped as a child.
Etc. The books have problems, but the show is far worse.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018
Man there is a lot of hyperbole going on. I agree that Dany's madness could of been handled better and that other moments have felt rushed but holy shit people chill out. There is so much worse writing in tv and movies out there this isn't nearly as bad as some of you are making it out to be. Criticism is good and all but some of these threads are just getting ridiculous.

Oct 29, 2017
Never watched GoT. Heard it was full of rape and unnecessary nudity and decided it wouldn't be for me. I wondered why so many people were calling these writers hacks when for years I have heard lots of praise for this show. You most definitely have me nervous and hesitant for what we are in store for if Disney does indeed move forward with their trilogy

Most recently some close friends have said their writing has definitely gone down hill in the most recent season or two and attributed it to having to create the story from scratch but still being beholden to an already established lore/characters/story. And thought they would do better writing their own original Star Wars story in an unexplored area or time and with brand new characters. OP tells quite another story and i'm scared we may be a decade or more out from some genuinely good Star Wars movies, if not longer depending on the amount of damage it may do. :(

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I was already really worried before given only minor knowledge of the book/show differences, but now after reading the OP I'm terrified for the future Star Wars films. I really hope they'll somehow (I assume there are already contracts in place) change their minds and give these films to other writers and directors. *sighs*

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've never watched GoT and probably never will but people refusing to watch certain content from specific creators isn't a boycott; that's just not watching something from creators you're not interested in or in this case have actively turned people off their work, which is super reasonable.

It's not like I'm boycotting dog shit because I don't want to eat it.

Even if someone did actually organize a full blown boycott against these guys and their Star Wars trilogy; their last original idea was a very offensive "what if black people were still enslaved" fantasy they dreamt up during the trump era; anyone actually boycotting their work would also be being reasonable.
I mean abstaining from being socially involved in any way with the creators/writers/directors is, by definition, a boycott. It's not like the OP meant they'd never watch anything SW related with the but would check out their other work/involvement with other projects, if they feel this strongly about something they're this passionate about.

My point is that being a self declared superfan of said property (in this case, Star Wars) and boycotting their films in one of your favorite franchise of all time, before even knowing what they are or who is ultimately even going to be involved with directing, writing, etc, based heavily on what happened in the last episode with a particular character (not saying their other criticisms don't play a significant role as well of course), is ridiculous, in context. I stand by that completely.

For all we know, Kathleen Kennedy has a list of women/PoC ready to jump in and get working. She's already said she's planning on doing this and that it's underway with Mandalorian. Of course, money where your mouth is and all that, we need to see if this actually happens. It better.

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I won't say refuse but i have zero hype for anything from D&B or from Rian Johnson. It would always be a "I'll buy a ticket if the reviews (from people I trust) are good" kinda situation, and I assume anything they make will be pretty bad.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that being a self declared superfan of said property (in this case, Star Wars) and boycotting their films in your favorite franchise of all time, before even knowing what they are or who is ultimately even going to be involved with directing, writing, etc, based heavily on what happened in the last episode with a particular character (not saying their other criticisms don't play a significant role as well of course), is ridiculous, in context. I stand by that completely.

Yeah, it would be ridiculous if their other criticisms didn't play a significant role, but as you admit, and as they already reiterated via their history of objection to D&D's involvement, the other criticisms are at the fore. Nothing ridiculous about it.

Even if it were "heavily influenced by this last episode," it was a confirmation of prior objectionable choices, a conclusion to D&D's apparent inability to write cohesive storylines and character arcs — things that should concern any Star Wars fan, as if all the social issues weren't enough.

Insisting we have to wait until we know everyone involved might seem reasonable, but for the fact that LucasFilms have demonstrated a preference for writer-directors in the sequel trilogy. D&D's problematic sensibilities will be on display, even if the worst of them might be neutered by Disney's (and cinema's) family friendliness.

Look — I desperately hope Kennedy follows through on those assurances. But hiring D&D to begin with is a bad look, one suggestive of chasing popularity rather than judging quality or fitness for the IP, and one that is a blow to any diversity ideals, given their track record.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, it would be ridiculous if their other criticisms didn't play a significant role, but as you admit, and as they already reiterated via their history of objection to D&D's involvement, the other criticisms are at the fore. Nothing ridiculous about it.

Even if it were "heavily influenced by this last episode," it was a confirmation of prior objectionable choices, a conclusion to D&D's apparent inability to write cohesive storylines and character arcs — things that should concern any Star Wars fan, as if all the social issues weren't enough.

Insisting we have to wait until we know everyone involved might seem reasonable, but for the fact that LucasFilms have demonstrated a preference for writer-directors in the sequel trilogy. D&D's problematic sensibilities will be on display, even if the worst of them might be neutered by Disney's (and cinema's) family friendliness.

Look — I desperately hope Kennedy follows through on those assurances. But hiring D&D to begin with is a bad look, one suggestive of chasing popularity rather than judging quality or fitness for the IP, and one that is a blow to any diversity ideals, given their track record.
Again, I completely understand the criticisms as I have a laundry list myself, many of which match the ones already mentioned.

The ridiculous part is refusing to watch any of these films because they're at the helm, even if PoC/women are directing, or somebody like Rian Johnson who is also a white guy but brings a fresh, progressive style that allows for much better storytelling. We know fucking nothing about these films.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I disagree.
Both of these things are great.

Sounds to me like someone who thinks their HBO show is A song of ice and fire.

Anyway, try reading Benioff's CITY OF THIEVES.
Awesome book.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I completely understand the criticisms as I have a laundry list myself, many of which match the ones already mentioned.

The ridiculous part is refusing to watch films because they're at the helm, even if PoC/women are directing, or somebody like Rian Johnson who is also a white guy but is bringing a fresh, progressive style that allows for much better storytelling. We know fucking nothing about these films.

If they're at the helm, then in all likelihood based on precedence, they're writing and directing. If that changes, that'll be a new discussion, but until such a time the supposition that they're the writer-directors is not unreasonable. The press release said they're "writing and producing their own series" and praised their "storytelling."

The fact of the matter is that they've demonstrated a consistent propensity for misogyny, racism, and homophobia, which should be incompatible with a LucasFilms whose commitment to diversity has any truth to it. That they're poor screenwriters is bitter icing on the pile of shit (to borrow their colloquial style), and especially disappointing for what'll probably be Old Republic-related.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Are writers no no longer allowed to write racist, sexist and homophobic characters? Is this a reflection on them, or literally them trying to write a character?
I think the argument falls apart when you start complain about characters walking away from a another, trying to speak another language, someone turning really evil, despite it being so obviously a corruption of power that we've been seeing for seasons. I mean, what are you supposed to say to that?

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you pointed out their awful misogynistic, racist, and homophobic writing on GoT. D & D cannot write PoC well and I don't expect them to handle racial issues with grace. I truly hope Confederate never gets made.