• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking loved what they did with Dany this season. Her character has been boring as shit up to this point.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Let's all just remember how Colin Trevorrow's star was rising with Safety Not Guaranteed and Jurassic World, got hired by Disney for SW IX, but then had 'creative differences" after The Book of Henry became this decade's The Room.

History is not yet written!

I've seen The Book of Henry. This episode was worse.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Do people actually watch Game of Thrones for just tits and dragons? I feel like that's only a thing because Ian McShane said it. I know many people who watch the show and never heard a single person, in-person or even online, ever actually say, "I love Game of Thrones just because it gives me my weekly tits and dragons fix!!"

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I recently rewatched Troy and it's funny how much of the complaints about these later seasons of Game of Thrones also fit in there:

- It's blatantly misogynistic, all female characters just exist to serve the men
- It erases all gay-ness from the source text. In the Illiad, Patrocles is Achilles' best friend and lover, in the movie he's his 'cousin'
- It basically skips around all political aspects of the story to go straight into the fighting
- The complex love story between Achilles and Briseis is abbreviated to "Slave girl is so impressed by Achilles' muscles and manliness that she falls in love with him"
- It straight up removes all supernatural and overtly religious elements from the source, even going so far as to have Achilles and Hector claim that 'Believing in Gods is only a thing stupid people do'.

To be fair, the show did remove a lot of the weird romanticisation of peadophilia in the books.

But otherwise yes.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
well, KK has been known to cancel or rehire directors/writers later in production/preproduction. Which, btw, I've always seen as a good thing. She's got the balls to make those hard choices, when they are necessary, even if it looks messy. So yeah, KK watching this last season, maybe she'll make a change. Lol

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Read the OP twice and still am not sure why the OP doesn't like them. Based on the comments, it seems like it's GoT related, but I dont watch that.

Why do people always act like Star Wars has some huge quality standard? Like 30% of it is truly great….

I feel this way more and more each year, yet I still get so excited for any new Star Wars.
Like, I don't like episodes 1 and 2. 3 is bad, but I like it still. 4 is groundbreaking, but a little cheesy now and tonally dissonant. 5 is a masterpiece. 6 is really good for like 40% of it. 7 was great. 8 was good for 40%. Rogue One was great. Solo was good.

So yeah, as much as a lot of it has disappointed me, and as dumb as most EU stuff seems to me, I still get excited whenever they announce more movies.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Do people actually watch Game of Thrones for just tits and dragons? I feel like that's only a thing because Ian McShane said it. I know many people who watch the show and never heard a single person, in-person or even online, ever actually say, "I love Game of Thrones just because it gives me my weekly tits and dragons fix!!"
The tits crowd has been disappointed since episode 1.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
To some of the people defending this crap I'd just like to say foreshadowing ≠ character development, Dany character wasn't at a point where this was believable, and also it wasn't just Dany character that was screwed over this episode

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Let's all just remember how Colin Trevorrow's star was rising with Safety Not Guaranteed and Jurassic World, got hired by Disney for SW IX, but then had 'creative differences" after The Book of Henry became this decade's The Room.

History is not yet written!
Or that Josh Trank, who was coming off of Chronicle, was fired after Fan4stic and being snitched on by Kinsberg.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
To some of the people defending this crap I'd just like to say foreshadowing ≠ character development, Dany character wasn't at a point where this was believable, and also it wasn't just Dany character that was screwed over this episode

Then you have a problem with the entire way the story is presented from GRRM, because the arc and backstory of the Targaryen's is a central point of the entire series.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to those who agreed with my initial post in this thread, unfortunately I have been warned against posts like this:

What's with the shitty threads lately

Not sure how posts like "okay." are any better, but I'm not a mod and don't assume to know how they discern what is and isn't appropriate. I'm out.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The tits crowd has been disappointed since episode 1.
And there wasn't much in the way of dragons for the first couple seasons!

Or that Josh Trank, who was coming off of Chronicle, was fired after Fan4stic and being snitched on by Kinsberg.
I'm sure the main attraction in hiring D&D was their experience in managing such a massive logistical production like GoT. Kind of a direct response to the issues with Trank or Lord & Miller.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Has any character before ever been as character assassinated as Jamie was in that episode?

The entire point of his character, his arc and everything about him is that even at his absolute worst, there is a level of empathy for other people that seeps in. And he spent seven seasons learning to embrace that by escaping from Cerseis prescence, so much as to be repulsed by who she is when he meets her again.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Then you have a problem with the entire way the story is presented from GRRM, because the arc and backstory of the Targaryen's is a central point of the entire series.
In the books he developes it more and it's still not at that point, I'm not against the idea of Dany turning bad but it needs to be done properly

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
David Benioff wrote "The 25th Hour" which is one of my favorite films and is a Spike Lee Joint. So the way he has let the story become so shitty is quite sad. Season 8 has been so sladash and poorly written. I'll even agree that since season 4 the story hasn't been as great as the previous seasons, but even then it was better than most other stuff on TV. The spectacle, directing of action on screen, and work of the crew and most actors has been top notch all along, it's just their plotting and writing has been crap. After last night I do honestly worry about them working with the Star Wars property. The one redeeming factor of their possible story has been that it will not be related to the Skywalker Saga.

History of bigoted writing by D&D
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since people are being disingenuous here is a brief crash course on D&D's history of racism, sexism, and homophobia in writing GoT that is different than the books:

Racism
  • Weird, non-answers when asked why 99% of the principal cast are white
  • While Essos is made up of people of a variety of races and ethnicities in the books, the TV show makes all the slaves and other poor people of Essos into people of color, adding an uncomfortable and unnecessary white savior element to Dany's narrative that didn't previously exist
  • Missandei, the only woman of color on the show, is brutally executed, prompting Dany and her army of PoC to begin violently ransacking a city
Sexism
  • Dany's wedding night with Drogo goes from a "consensual" sex scene in the books to what appears to be a forced rape in the show
  • Jaime rapes Cersei against in the sept at Joffrey's funeral in another invention of the show. Concerningly, nobody involved in the production seemed to recognize this scene as rape until people complained when the episode aired
  • In a major departure from her book storyline, Sansa is sent off to Winterfell to serve in a roughly analogous position to Jeyne Poole, a minor character from the books. Sansa is violently tortured and raped repeatedly to further Theon's redemption story arc. Sansa later escapes and continues on her normal character arc, which could have just happened anyway without the rape. In season 8, Sansa suggests that her experiences with Ramsay made her into a stronger person
  • Brienne, a woman who repeatedly asserts her strength and independence, is paired off with Jaime, who immediately abandons her and leaves her a crying mess in the street
  • Dany's actions are repeatedly characterized as unusually cruel or brutal despite resembling those of male characters from past seasons. Varys suggests that Dany is unfit to rule because she is not a man and this goes unchallenged by the narrative. The final battle of the series is between two insane women while their rational male lovers stand by helplessly, waiting to step in and save the country from them
Homophobia
  • While homosexuality is treated in the books in a similar fashion as it was in real life (essentially "don't ask, don't tell"), the show takes an anachronistically 21st century view of homophobia, turning the majority of Westeros into Christian extremists who believe homosexuality is some kind of sin against the gods
  • This results in several major changes to the plot, most notably Loras and Margaery being imprisoned for reasons completely different from the books
  • Several characters with queer sexuality, such as Cersei, Dany, and possibly Jon, are straightwashed in the show

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you don't like they're work for GOT, how does that mean you won't like they're work in something else? That goes for anything really. If didn't watch movies from a director/writer because they made one movie I didn't like, I'd miss a lot of great movies

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since people are being disingenuous here is a brief crash course on D&D's history of racism, sexism, and homophobia in writing GoT that is different than the books:

Racism
  • While Essos is made up of people of a variety of races and ethnicities in the books, the TV show makes all the slaves and other poor people of Essos into people of color, adding an uncomfortable and unnecessary white savior element to Dany's narrative that didn't previously exist
  • Missandei, the only woman of color on the show, is brutally executed, prompting Dany and her army of PoC to begin violently ransacking a city
Sexism
  • Dany's wedding night with Drogo goes from a "consensual" sex scene in the books to what appears to be a forced rape in the show
  • Jaime rapes Cersei against in the sept at Joffrey's funeral in another invention of the show
  • In a major departure from her book storyline, Sansa is sent off to Winterfell to serve in a roughly analogous position to Jeyne Poole, a minor character from the books. Sansa is violently tortured and raped repeatedly to further Theon's redemption story arc. Sansa later escapes and continues on her normal character arc, which could have just happened anyway without the rape. In season 8, Sansa suggests that her experiences with Ramsay made her into a stronger person
  • Brienne, a woman who repeatedly asserts her strength and independence, is paired off with Jaime, who immediately abandons her and leaves her a crying mess in the street
  • Dany's actions are repeatedly characterized as unusually cruel or brutal despite resembling those of male characters from past seasons. Varys suggests that Dany is unfit to rule because she is not a man and this goes unchallenged by the narrative. The final battle of the series is between two insane women while their rational male lovers stand by helplessly, waiting to step in and save the country from them
Homophobia
  • While homosexuality is treated in the books in a similar fashion as it was in real life (essentially "don't ask, don't tell"), the show takes an anachronistically 21st century view of homophobia, turning the majority of Westeros into Christian extremists who believe homosexuality is some kind of sin against the gods
  • This results in several major changes to the plot, most notably Loras and Margaery being imprisoned for reasons completely different from the books
  • Several characters with queer sexuality, such as Cersei, Dany, and possibly Jon, are straightwashed in the show

Thanks for this. These points of criticism are valid and I've always had an issue with them.

Ragaar31

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It's so weird to see how much people are hating this season while I'm just fine with it. I don't think it's the best season and I can see flaws, but I don't think it deserves this weird rage I'm seeing everywhere.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It's so weird to see how much people are hating this season while I'm just fine with it. I don't think it's the best season and I can see flaws, but I don't think it deserves this weird rage I'm seeing everywhere.
The series is coming to an end so a lot of passionate fans are angry it isn't ending the way they had envisioned. Plus the shortened seasons didn't help.

Anyway, I'm vaguely interested in their take on Star Wars. Can't be any worse than the last couple of movies that came out.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
It's going to be interesting to see the think pieces 5 years to a decade from now about how GoT ended and the fan backlash to it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's not my favorite season for sure but I'm largely enjoying it too. I've also only ever watched the show though and wonder how much of the rage is predominantly from book readers or an even split between the two audiences.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Racism
Sexism
  • Jaime rapes Cersei against in the sept at Joffrey's funeral in another invention of the show. Concerningly, nobody involved in the production seemed to recognize this scene as rape until people complained when the episode aired
Homophobia

Thank you very much for this

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
This isn't even about just Dany. Season 8 has been character assassinations across the board. The previous seven seasons have meant absolutely nothing, because D&D want to go play with Star Wars now. I hope the backlash is so extreme and toxic that those two hacks lose Star Wars like Josh Trank and Colin Trevorrow did. Nobody should trust them with long form storytelling.
You need to rewatch GoT. A lot of what's happening can be easily found in the series in earlier episodes. Danny snapping is entirely foreshadowed in earlier parts of the show. She's always had a heavy temper. Is it so hard to think she grew to despise not only the queen but her people as well?

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
As a lifelong Star Wars fan, I'll watch their trilogy before I watch anything Rian Johnson makes.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Women/PoC/LGBT+ folks: The show is offensive and I'm concerned that the biggest show on television ever is repeatedly showing itself to be misogynistic/racist/homophobic because fiction affects reality.

Show fans: Haha sounds like someone's BUTTHURT their fave didn't win!!!

Women/PoC/LGBT+ folks: ...no, we're annoyed because the show is offensive and it's concerning that the biggest show on TV is repeatedly showing itself to be misogynistic/racist/homophobic because fiction affects reality

Show fans: Haha sounds like someone's BUTTHURT their fave didn't win!!!

Women/PoC/LGBT+ folks: Please stop mindlessly dismissing our criticisms and feelings as invalid simply because we're criticising something you enjoy.

Show fans: Haha sounds like someone's BUTTHURT thei

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
MSW:

Most signs have pointed towards David Benioff and D.B. Weiss' trilogy being the first of the new films to hit. While there's always a chance we could see two trilogies launching at the same time, it seems highly unlikely and it was suggested by Kathleen Kennedy at the last Star Wars Celebration that Rian Johnson was assisting the Game of Thrones show runners with their work which is likely a huge clue as to what has been prioritized and suggests that Rian Johnson's trilogy isn't dead but rather without a release window or will begin as late as 2028.

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/05/...xt-three-star-wars-films-and-indiana-jones-5/

😭

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
I'm annoyed with their handling of GoT, but I'll give them a chance with the first movie if it ever gets made. Definitely would rather have someone more interesting helming the films, though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're gonna get made tbh. We should probably take all the pre-Solo announcements with a grain of salt. It's clear some big fucking changes to the schedule have taken place since.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Racism
Sexism
Homophobia

Series have always been incredibly sexist and racist to me and a reason why I couldn't enjoy it, where rape and tits are shown for shock factor. Some people says it's "historically accurate" because women and PoC had less rights before, all while fucking dragons fly around burning shit.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Racism
Sexism
Homophobia

Thanks, very good, concrete, points, thanks. These are reasons that should be questioned, and not the quality of the writing.

And calling people disingenuous is not fair since not all know or see this since, like me, don't interpetet (many of them at least) in the same way due to white privelege and not being of minority group, I would guess, hence why I need more direct points.

But thanks, and very good list.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Both them and Rian Johnson being in charge of movies from here on out makes me incredibly nervous. Can't lie.

edit - Sorry about the phone auto correcting.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Racism
Sexism
Homophobia
Thank you for this

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Both them and Arian Johnson being in charge of movies from here on out makes me incredibly nervous. Can't lie.
d9fe4755119d4bcfaf39b72238cbc48c.gif

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As shitty as the writing is in Game of Thrones right now, the last few Star Wars movies aren't much better. Minus all of that sexist, racist and homophobic stuff because no way is Disney going to let them get away with any of that.