• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, you made a good effort to paint them in a way Era would typically have pitchforks out about at least. :/

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're not a fan then. If you're a real fan you would be onboard. No problem we we support the franchise no matter what.

I'm glad I'm not this kind of fan. This is the reason why franchises like Sonic continue to exist in their current form, the fan base will support mediocre or bad releases.

You can be a fan and still show criticism or even refuse to support certain aspects of a franchise. Come on now.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely agree OP. These guys are trash and they still get to make their racist wet dream show Confederate.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So you're not a fan then. If you're a real fan you would be onboard. No problem we we support the franchise no matter what.
"You're not a true fan unless you blindly follow the property no matter what!"

Huh? Wtf kinda post is this? Lmao. Did you read the OP at all? You don't think the OP has genuine reasons to not want them to make the next SW?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I love these self righteous threads, especially when you're really the OP and see literally nothing that promotes any discussion outside of whether you believe the poster is right or wrong.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Since people are being disingenuous here is a brief crash course on D&D's history of racism, sexism, and homophobia in writing GoT that is different than the books:

Racism
  • Weird, non-answers when asked why 99% of the principal cast are white
  • While Essos is made up of people of a variety of races and ethnicities in the books, the TV show makes all the slaves and other poor people of Essos into people of color, adding an uncomfortable and unnecessary white savior element to Dany's narrative that didn't previously exist
  • Missandei, the only woman of color on the show, is brutally executed, prompting Dany and her army of PoC to begin violently ransacking a city
Sexism
  • Dany's wedding night with Drogo goes from a "consensual" sex scene in the books to what appears to be a forced rape in the show
  • Jaime rapes Cersei against in the sept at Joffrey's funeral in another invention of the show. Concerningly, nobody involved in the production seemed to recognize this scene as rape until people complained when the episode aired
  • In a major departure from her book storyline, Sansa is sent off to Winterfell to serve in a roughly analogous position to Jeyne Poole, a minor character from the books. Sansa is violently tortured and raped repeatedly to further Theon's redemption story arc. Sansa later escapes and continues on her normal character arc, which could have just happened anyway without the rape. In season 8, Sansa suggests that her experiences with Ramsay made her into a stronger person
  • Brienne, a woman who repeatedly asserts her strength and independence, is paired off with Jaime, who immediately abandons her and leaves her a crying mess in the street
  • Dany's actions are repeatedly characterized as unusually cruel or brutal despite resembling those of male characters from past seasons. Varys suggests that Dany is unfit to rule because she is not a man and this goes unchallenged by the narrative. The final battle of the series is between two insane women while their rational male lovers stand by helplessly, waiting to step in and save the country from them
Homophobia
  • While homosexuality is treated in the books in a similar fashion as it was in real life (essentially "don't ask, don't tell"), the show takes an anachronistically 21st century view of homophobia, turning the majority of Westeros into Christian extremists who believe homosexuality is some kind of sin against the gods
  • This results in several major changes to the plot, most notably Loras and Margaery being imprisoned for reasons completely different from the books
  • Several characters with queer sexuality, such as Cersei, Dany, and possibly Jon, are straightwashed in the show

Not related to GoT but we also have their Confederate show pitch

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What are they going to do, make such bad Star Wars movies that it fucks up the whole franchise? Better people than them have tried.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I think if they are into it, they can do seriously good stuff. Some of the best lines/scenes from Game of Thrones season 1 were written by them and not taken from the book.
As I just wrote in the other thread, it shows that they got tired of ASOIOF a few years ago, which has several reasons. They didn't expect to run out of material so soon and they probably understimated what it is like to dedicate yourself to one project for 10 years of your life.
I will definitely not boycott their star wars movie, but I wouldn't be that surprised if it sucked either honestly.
Yeah I've been thinking a lot how many of some of the greatest scenes have actually been penned by them, as I haven't read the books I wouldn't know. But I do know that Tywin/Arya scenes are among my all time favorites and Cersei/Robert scene was great too (just rewatched the episode).

I was also a huge Star Wars fan growing up, I had my stickers, games, light sabers, other toys and I even made kind of a book about Star Wars. I didn't really like prequels very much and I haven't really loved anything Disney has churned out, yet I'm still watching. So even though I think Game of Thrones used to be better, I'm most likely watching D&D Star Wars too and don't except any less from them than what Johnson or the spin-offs have accomplished.

I do agree with OP though that they did Brienne dirty, I don't know if it was sexism or not but I hated it.

Last edited:

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Since people are being disingenuous here is a brief crash course on D&D's history of racism, sexism, and homophobia in writing GoT that is different than the books:

Racism
  • While Essos is made up of people of a variety of races and ethnicities in the books, the TV show makes all the slaves and other poor people of Essos into people of color, adding an uncomfortable and unnecessary white savior element to Dany's narrative that didn't previously exist
  • Missandei, the only woman of color on the show, is brutally executed, prompting Dany and her army of PoC to begin violently ransacking a city
Sexism
  • Dany's wedding night with Drogo goes from a "consensual" sex scene in the books to what appears to be a forced rape in the show
  • Jaime rapes Cersei against in the sept at Joffrey's funeral in another invention of the show. Concerningly, nobody involved in the production seemed to recognize this scene as rape until people complained when the episode aired
  • In a major departure from her book storyline, Sansa is sent off to Winterfell to serve in a roughly analogous position to Jeyne Poole, a minor character from the books. Sansa is violently tortured and raped repeatedly to further Theon's redemption story arc. Sansa later escapes and continues on her normal character arc, which could have just happened anyway without the rape. In season 8, Sansa suggests that her experiences with Ramsay made her into a stronger person
  • Brienne, a woman who repeatedly asserts her strength and independence, is paired off with Jaime, who immediately abandons her and leaves her a crying mess in the street
  • Dany's actions are repeatedly characterized as unusually cruel or brutal despite resembling those of male characters from past seasons. Varys suggests that Dany is unfit to rule because she is not a man and this goes unchallenged by the narrative. The final battle of the series is between two insane women while their rational male lovers stand by helplessly, waiting to step in and save the country from them
Homophobia
  • While homosexuality is treated in the books in a similar fashion as it was in real life (essentially "don't ask, don't tell"), the show takes an anachronistically 21st century view of homophobia, turning the majority of Westeros into Christian extremists who believe homosexuality is some kind of sin against the gods
  • This results in several major changes to the plot, most notably Loras and Margaery being imprisoned for reasons completely different from the books
  • Several characters with queer sexuality, such as Cersei, Dany, and possibly Jon, are straightwashed in the show

This list is so inaccurate it's not even funny. You're somehow absolving GRRM of everything and making ridicolous claims.

Somehow the show is more homophobic that the books that feature Jaime taunting Loras with "I'll stick my sword in a place not even Renly would find?". We are "informed" that Renly is homosexual through backhanded insinuations and open mockery (see: Stannis).

I won't touch the other subjects but this revisionist history that makes GRRM's work immaculate and the scriptwriters some monsters is not a good look.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't even about just Dany. Season 8 has been character assassinations across the board. The previous seven seasons have meant absolutely nothing, because D&D want to go play with Star Wars now. I hope the backlash is so extreme and toxic that those two hacks lose Star Wars like Josh Trank and Colin Trevorrow did. Nobody should trust them with long form storytelling.
You are fucking crazy if you want some harassed over the fact a fucking tv show didnt go the way you wanted.
Jesus christ.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Racism
Sexism
Homophobia

Some of this is bad (especially straightwashing), but the contemporary notion that including bad -isms in a work or fiction is actually a sign of the creator having sympathy for or implicitly endorsing those -isms is weird.

Like, changing the nature of homophobia in the world of the show, and subsequently the fate of some characters, is not an example of homophobia on the show creators' part. It may be bad or hacky writing, a clumsy attempt at commenting on contemporary political mores, but that is a separate sin.

Also, "challenged by the ________" is another category of bad criticism that precludes the possibility of works of art implicitly assuming the intelligence and/or decency of their audience, rather than heavy-handedly and explicitly decrying a particular form of bigotry or ignorance.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
given how everyone involved with major decision-making with Star Wars have been hacks, like Abrams, it's only fitting for a franchise that has always had dumb paper-thin stories with action spectacle, it begets such people.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even about just Dany. Season 8 has been character assassinations across the board. The previous seven seasons have meant absolutely nothing, because D&D want to go play with Star Wars now. I hope the backlash is so extreme and toxic that those two hacks lose Star Wars like Josh Trank and Colin Trevorrow did. Nobody should trust them with long form storytelling.
Yeah you need to calm the fuck down. Online harrassment shouldn't be condoned.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Every thing I hear about GoT just sounds so unappealing, even from those who like the show. That's even before factoring in some of the douchey handwaving responses in this thread to any pointed criticism. How many more variations on "u mad?" are people going to post? (literally just got 1 more as I was typing this lmao christ)

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You are fucking crazy if you want some harassed over the fact a fucking tv show didnt go the way you wanted.
Jesus christ.

I mean, I never said I wanted anybody harassed, and if that was implied then I apologize. I want the negative reaction of Book of Henry and Fant4stic that cost their directors their Star Wars gigs to carry over here. These two shouldn't be rewarded with the biggest movie franchise because of their talent at failing upwards.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I never said I wanted anybody harassed, and if that was implied then I apologize. I want the negative reaction of Book of Henry and Fant4stic that cost their directors their Star Wars gigs to carry over here. These two shouldn't be rewarded with the biggest movie franchise because of their talent at failing upwards.

Hoping for an "extreme and toxic backlash" similar to how MRAs and gamergaters reacted to Last Jedi really isn't a good look mate

foggy

Oct 25, 2017

You familiar with how Hollywood works? Failing upward is a time-honored tradition.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I agree these writers are shit and I agree with the homophobic and misogynist points of criticism, but some of the racist critiques in the OP are not very substantial.

• Weird, non-answers when asked why 99% of the principal cast are whit

Valid

This is somewhat disingenuous. Poor white people are portrayed often in GoT, like the peasants in Flea Bottom, King's Landing, and small Westerosi villages. It just so happens that Essos has lots more people of color than Westeros because of where it is geographically (just like Medieval Africa and Asia), but within Essos, strong and wealthy and intelligent people of color are portrayed (like the rulers and warriors of Dorne), but there are also poor and enslaved people (which happen to be of color, from my understanding, because that's the dominant race there).

But feel free to point out if I'm wrong, because I only read Book 1.

Missandei, the only woman of color on the show, is brutally executed, prompting Dany and her army of PoC to begin violently ransacking a city

Yes I agree

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not I kinda want them to make that "Fuck black people" show they are planning for HBO to see the depths of their fuckery.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
My question is why people are saying this type of thing about one season. The books ran out after S4, right? And some people consider S6 one of the best. S5 and 6 were both solid and 7 was decent aside from the time/travel jumps. 8 has had a few good episodes too. So what is the deal here? People just forget about the good seasons in order to further an agenda?

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Lmao! What an overreaction. At least this GOT train wreck has been entertaining, which is a lot more than I can say about TLJ. If you made it through that then you can survive anything D&D can cook up.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This list is so inaccurate it's not even funny. You're somehow absolving GRRM of everything and making ridicolous claims.

Somehow the show is more homophobic that the books that feature Jaime taunting Loras with "I'll stick my sword in a place not even Renly would find?". We are "informed" that Renly is homosexual through backhanded insinuations and open mockery (see: Stannis).

I won't touch the other subjects but this revisionist history that makes GRRM's work immaculate and the scriptwriters some monsters is not a good look.
About rape between the show and books, while it's apparently true that Sansa specifically wasn't raped in the books it still seems to have more rape overall than the show. Though this is few years old analysis already so maybe the show has catched up https://tafkarfanfic.tumblr.com/post/119770640640/rape-in-asoiaf-vs-game-of-thrones-a-statistical There's a lot showrunners didn't include to their adaptation, even though they also added some.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Erm....but they are kind of rush and ditch GoT to trash fire just to go to SW as quick as possible?

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
That's still far away and may not even happen...
I'll probably see it either way, it's Star Wars.