• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
David "Themes are for eighth grade book reports" Benioff and D. B. Weiss are talentless hacks who have failed upwards their entire careers and can fuck off from Star Wars. Maybe Lucasfilm should support some of that diversity they're always talking about by hiring a woman or person of color instead of two mediocre white men who are responsible for some of the most racist and misogynist garbage to appear on a television screen in the last decade.

I've loved Star Wars since I was a kid. I loved the original trilogy. I think the prequels are poorly written but still interesting. I love the sequels. I enjoyed Rogue One and even Solo. I like the novels and the comics and all the other EU media. Star Wars is a great franchise. Keep these two idiots away from it.

Lucasfilm, it's time to dump Benioff and Weiss into the dumpster where you put Josh Trank and Colin Trevorrow. Maybe start doing some god damn vetting on the writers and directors you hire instead of just picking whatever people are responsible for whatever cool blockbuster thing is in vogue at the time.

Over the next few months you're going to hear all kinds of seemingly cool things like how their film is based on KOTOR or whatever. Don't trust them. Don't believe them. They are hacks and they will disappoint you.

Fire them.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk and may the Force be with you.

EDIT:
Since people are being disingenuous here is a brief crash course on D&D's history of racism, sexism, and homophobia in writing GoT that is different than the books:

Racism
  • Weird, non-answers when asked why 99% of the principal cast are white
  • While Essos is made up of people of a variety of races and ethnicities in the books, the TV show makes all the slaves and other poor people of Essos into people of color, adding an uncomfortable and unnecessary white savior element to Dany's narrative that didn't previously exist
  • Missandei, the only woman of color on the show, is brutally executed, prompting Dany and her army of PoC to begin violently ransacking a city
Sexism
  • Dany's wedding night with Drogo goes from a "consensual" sex scene in the books to what appears to be a forced rape in the show
  • Jaime rapes Cersei against in the sept at Joffrey's funeral in another invention of the show. Concerningly, nobody involved in the production seemed to recognize this scene as rape until people complained when the episode aired
  • In a major departure from her book storyline, Sansa is sent off to Winterfell to serve in a roughly analogous position to Jeyne Poole, a minor character from the books. Sansa is violently tortured and raped repeatedly to further Theon's redemption story arc. Sansa later escapes and continues on her normal character arc, which could have just happened anyway without the rape. In season 8, Sansa suggests that her experiences with Ramsay made her into a stronger person
  • Brienne, a woman who repeatedly asserts her strength and independence, is paired off with Jaime, who immediately abandons her and leaves her a crying mess in the street
  • Dany's actions are repeatedly characterized as unusually cruel or brutal despite resembling those of male characters from past seasons. Varys suggests that Dany is unfit to rule because she is not a man and this goes unchallenged by the narrative. The final battle of the series is between two insane women while their rational male lovers stand by helplessly, waiting to step in and save the country from them
Homophobia
  • While homosexuality is treated in the books in a similar fashion as it was in real life (essentially "don't ask, don't tell"), the show takes an anachronistically 21st century view of homophobia, turning the majority of Westeros into Christian extremists who believe homosexuality is some kind of sin against the gods
  • This results in several major changes to the plot, most notably Loras and Margaery being imprisoned for reasons completely different from the books
  • Several characters with queer sexuality, such as Cersei, Dany, and possibly Jon, are straightwashed in the show

EDIT:
Completely agreed, BDS. It's disheartening — to say the least — that Kathleen Kennedy's LucasFilms and Disney, despite an ostensible commitment to diversity, have hired yet more straight white male writer-directors for Star Wars films, which have never had anything else. To make matters much worse, as you say, D&D have a longstanding history of being extraordinarily ignorant, writing material that's misogynistic, racist, and homophobic (probably because Game of Thrones has a similar dearth of minority voices among its almost entirely white male writers and directors).

It's also telling that so many posts in here are people who refuse to engage or even read the OP, blanketly dismissing any concerns. Era is far from as progressive as some would suggest. People can't stand for those uppity women, PoC, or queer folks being critical of their television.

Let's list some things off the top of my head:

Homophobia:
  • Inserting violent homophobia into Faith of the Seven where there is none on the books. In fact, Westerosi culture as a whole isn't particularly homophobic, except insofar as feudal primogeniture demands noble sons marry noble daughters. (Actual homosexual relationships are fine and accepted!)
  • Omitting most LGBT+ book characters, many of whom were meaningful or easy to include.
    • Not only were most homosexual men in the books as martially capable as their heterosexual counterparts, whether masculine or feminine, but Jon's squire Satin serves as a welcome example of Jon being indiscriminate (and, if you want to read into it, perhaps not heterosexual himself).
  • Turning the only included homosexual book characters — Renly and Loras — into one-dimensional stereotypical caricatures. In the books, they're both quite three-dimensional, in many ways ideals of Westerosi martialism and masculinity, and also one of the healthiest couples in the novels.
    • To further expand on that: Renly is a vaunted tournament participant, who looks identical to Robert in his youth, who was described as "muscled like a maiden's fancy."
      • In the show, he's a gay stereotype who's... afraid of blood. One of their introductory scenes is literally them shaving each other's bodies.
    • Loras in the books, meanwhile, is consistently compared to a youthful Jaime Lannister. He's one of the most talented swordsmen in the realm, with a rash temper. When Renly dies, he joins the Kingsguard — a celibate order — because "when the sun has set, no mere candle can replace it."
      • In the show, he's even more effete and effeminate than Renly. We almost never see him with a sword in-hand. He doesn't join the Kingsguard after Renly's death, and in fact starts whoring around immediately after. (Because gay people are promiscuous! Duh!) He discusses wedding planning with Sansa, lol.
Racism:
  • Daenerys' infamous white savior crowd surfing on a crowd of 100% people of color.
    • In the books, slavery is more akin to the Roman variety, irrespective of skin color.
  • Going into none of the depth of the Meereenese politics.
  • Missandei's Shock Value death. Not only did only her being captured make no sense, but they had her — an ex-slave — symbolically put back in chains for her execution.
    • Relatedly, I can't wait to see how these chucklefucks handle Confedereate. That they want to tackle a scenario of "What If American Slavery Still Existed?" says a lot about them.
  • Tyrion inexplicably assuming the Unsullied soldiers didn't speak Common last night. When he's been around them for years now.
  • Turning the Sand Snakes into stereotypical exotic caricatures, when they were each racially diverse in the books, representative of Oberyn's equal opportunity sexual relations. (By the way, Book!Oberyn is bisexual too, but that was also not included — in fact, in the show he assumes Varys is gay based on... I guess, stereotypes!)
  • Omitting various characters of color from the books.
    • Whitewashing some of their roles, such as turning Chataya and Alayaya into... Ros.
Misogyny:
  • Innumerable instances of gratuitous rape.
    • Including various scenes where the women being raped have their faces off-screen, removing their humanity.
  • Innumerable instances of dehumanizing sexposition aimed to titillate male audience members using Male Gaze, at the expense of female audience members.
  • The idea that "powerful women" are toxically masculinized violent women, or otherwise cynical ice queens. By extension, several female characters were more-or-less ruined, turned into opposites of their book counterparts:
    • Brienne, the soft-hearted, deeply empathetic, and chivalrous young woman was turned into someone who frequently bullied Podrick, and demonstrated disdain for femininity. In the books, she isn't disdainful of femininity at all — she's equal parts Lady of Tarth and a True Knight.
    • Sansa's strength in the books is not only her intelligence, but her resolute commitment to kindness and goodness in the face of cynicism. "If I am ever queen, I will make them love me." Instead of "learning from Cersei" (gross), Book!Sansa is an indictment of Cersei's internalized misogyny — a demonstration that Cersei is wrong, that kindness isn't stupid, that it wins.
    • Arya in the books envies Sansa's femininity, she doesn't condemn or mock it. She never calls girls or feminine pursuits "weak" or "stupid" as she does in the show. (She calls Sansa stupid in a bout of sisterly rivalry, but that's very different.) Let's look at a quote from the books:
      • "The Lannisters are proud," Jon observed. "You'd think the royal sigil would be sufficient, but no. He makes his mother's House equal in honor to the king's."

"The woman is important too!" Arya protested.
  • The idea that women in proximity must behave bitchily toward one another. Last season it was Sansa and Arya catfighting, this season it's been Sansa and Daenerys.
  • The idea this season that Emotional Women must be rationalized/condescended to by Reasonable (read: stupid) Men.
    • See: the double standard applied to Daenerys and Jon Snow.
      • Show!Daenerys has never actually demonstrated much propensity for madness (let's forget that the actual Mad King's descent into insanity took many years with sometimes justified paranoia). She has years of actual ruling experience. Yet, characters like Varys and Tyrion warp their prior characterization (remember Varys' "Fire and Blood" declaration to Olenna?) to insist she's crazy — when her last action was to put aside her southerly war and go North to save the realm.
      • Show!Jon, meanwhile, has demonstrated nothing but stupidity lately (don't get me started on the show's thesis that Good/Honor = Stupid — complete opposite of the books), yet Varys immediately decides he's a better ruler than Daenerys, literally because he has a penis.
    • See: Tyrion inexplicably appealing to Cersei's motherly emotions when we — and Tyrion — have seen ad nauseam by now that Cersei is insane and consumed by power.
  • After having the Hound make a gross comment to Sansa referring to her rape as being "broken in," the show has Sansa literally say she wouldn't be where she is now without her abuses/abusers.
    • For the people in the back: RAPE AND ABUSE ARE NOT EMPOWERING. ABUSERS DO NOT GET CREDIT FOR INSTILLING STRENGTH IN THEIR VICTIMS. SANSA DID NOT GLEAN STRENGTH OR POLITICAL CANNINESS FROM HER ABUSES — SHE ALREADY HAD THEM.
And this is just a cursory write-up. I'm undoubtedly missing countless examples of these showrunners' ignorant malfeasance.

EDIT:

Since there is some confusion over the upcoming Star Wars films, Jason Ward of Making Star Wars, an insider with essentially a 90% accurate track record of legitimate information, recently said:
Most signs have pointed towards David Benioff and D.B. Weiss' trilogy being the first of the new films to hit. While there's always a chance we could see two trilogies launching at the same time, it seems highly unlikely and it was suggested by Kathleen Kennedy at the last Star Wars Celebration that Rian Johnson was assisting the Game of Thrones show runners with their work which is likely a huge clue as to what has been prioritized and suggests that Rian Johnson's trilogy isn't dead but rather without a release window or will begin as late as 2028.

Last edited:

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord, that last GoT episode did a number on some people

People with Dany avatars are taking it especially poorly

OP youre not one of the ones who named your daughter after her are you???

dmann

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon man... over reacting much? We know nothing about the their proposed film trilogy.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's too early for me to make that judgment when we know nothing but I'm definitely way less interested in whatever they do compared to Rians new trilogy.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Threadwhining
What's with the shitty threads lately

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
i thought my boy Rian was doing the new trilogy

or is that a spin off trilogy lmao what's going on disney

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I feel ya. But I wanted to burn Lindelof after Lost but then he made The Leftovers which became one of my all time favorite series so what do I know :(

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Girl, I'm with you except I'll wait for the trailer to drop. That's if they ever get a chance to make their films.

D&D are hacks. But, perhaps Kathleen will force them to write a decent script.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I feel ya. But I wanted to burn Lindelof after Lost but then he made The Leftovers which became one of my all time favorite series so what do I know :(

But also this.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Disney hired them because they are hot properties at the moment not because they were ever good writers.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Antagonizing and misrepresenting other members over a series of posts
OP I'm genuinely sorry Dany didn't get the "Yaaassss QWEEEEN" moment your heart deserved and instead went down the path that had been foreshadowed and developed since Season 2

Let us all bow our heads and repeat
"D&D bad"

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Rian Johnson Trilogy
D&D Trilogy

I am not ready for the maelstrom of arguments in the years to come.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
People got so attached to Dany it's becoming really pathetic. Just calm down a bit.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree.

At least we're getting Rians trilogy to make it all worth it.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Ill still watch it. I just think they don't care about GOT anymore and want to start on another series, they've in on this for like 9 years now

I would prefer rians trilogy first, but im not
Going to actively not watch a product just because they ( too me) made one bad season

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even about just Dany. Season 8 has been character assassinations across the board. The previous seven seasons have meant absolutely nothing, because D&D want to go play with Star Wars now. I hope the backlash is so extreme and toxic that those two hacks lose Star Wars like Josh Trank and Colin Trevorrow did. Nobody should trust them with long form storytelling.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Salt, Salt, Salt everywhere lol

I liked their vision of got and probably will like star wars as well. I freaking loved TLJ, it's the best sw movie by far.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Why do people always act like Star Wars has some huge quality standard? Like 30% of it is truly great….

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for nu-Rey/Luke to go from light to dark because they hear the cantina song.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
from the talent that brought you Troy and X Men Origins Wolverine

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
We all know you will watch them even if just to complain about them. What's the point of this shit.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I still very much doubt these movies will ever come out.

We know that there are six Star Wars films in development, yet the upcoming Disney slate only showed us three Star Wars movies. Either one of the trilogies is set for release 8-10 years from now or something happened with one of the trilogies behind the scenes and I would bet on Rian Johnson having more goodwill with Disney than Benioff and Weiss.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
One can certainly argue that while - ever since running out of book material - D&D have been mishandling the ASOIAF franchise to a certain degree, i'm not sure we can say - with certainty - how they'd do with an entirely new canon of their own (albeit in a familiar universe)

This isn't even about just Dany. Season 8 has been character assassinations across the board. The previous seven seasons have meant absolutely nothing, because D&D want to go play with Star Wars now. I hope the backlash is so extreme and toxic that those two hacks lose Star Wars like Josh Trank and Colin Trevorrow did. Nobody should trust them with long form storytelling.

... ewww