• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Off-topic, but I've seen like 20 different Daenerys avatars today, was there is a party that I wasn't invited to?

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Backseat moderating and history of community generalizations
What's with the shitty threads lately

No moderation on either Gaming/Off-Topic Threads is leading to an increase in /r/showerthoughts or /r/unpopularopinion level OTs, in turn leading to the same level of discourse.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't get why they keep hiring whoever is responsible for big blockbusters. The best Star Wars movies were made by a nobody, an indie filmmaker, and another indie filmmaker.

Take a chance on someone good, not just the flavor of the week.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Season 1-4 : OT
S5-6: PT
S7-8: ST
S08E06: Rise of Skywalkers

Sound about right

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Alright, one less taken seat in the theater. You sound like a ton of fun so I'm sure your presence will be dearly missed.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen this week's episode of Game of Thrones yet but this thread title made me very happy in anticipation of how much of a train wreck it will be.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Has there been controversy regarding sexism, racism and transphobia from these writers in GoT? Or am I missing something? If so, please point it out.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I think you got a bit too upset by me poking a bit of fun.

I think the Daenerys issue isn't particularly sexist but what I find problematic is the way the people of colour and foreign armies have been treated. I think hideously is also hyperbolic though. The foreign armies turning savage and raping and killing alongside the northmen is a terrible look and I would have preferred them to kill Dany.

For Dany herself, this has been obvious and has been coming for years and years and when someone suddenly loses their shit about the behaviour of D&D to this level after that thing happens.

I don't like how Dany was essentially question consistently as to whether a woman can lead and is now fucking mad and justifies that whilst a man and woman need to save the world and kill her but it's also a weird jumping off point for that when it's been coming.

The Dany issue is only part of a larger pattern. If it were that alone I'd raise an eyebrow but wouldn't necessarily jump to calling it sexist. And if I'm upset it's because every single time us women on here try to talk about the misogyny of the show we're shouted down by (male) fans who accuse of being "PC Police" and "looking to be offended" and "butthurt our fave didn't win". So you'll excuse me if I feel a tad defensive.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure, they're not good writers so if you have Star Wars fondness in your heart these guys are probably not the ones to watch out for for new SW stories.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If your a betting person would you bet on Rian's trilogy or this new one by.the GoT showrunners being the one that got delayed/cancelled? The recent schedule looks like a release slate for 1 new trilogy only.
D&D would definitely be the one I bet on being delayed/cancelled.

Rian Johnson got a lot of goodwill with the Star Wars folks for writing and directing one of the most critically acclaimed Star Wars movies ever. Sure, it divided fans, but many critics and film scholars loved it. Plus all of the cast and crew supposedly loved working with him.

Meanwhile, D&D's hiring seems to follow the same pattern as when Colin Trevorrow was hired. They are very popular right now and have a very successful IP, but they still have to prove if Star Wars is even a good fit for them. As with Trevorrow I can see them getting the boot after the dust settles on Game of Thrones, just like how Trevorrow got the boot not long after The Book of Henry dropped.

Personally, I wouldn't cry over the loss of Weiss and Benioff. While Weiss hasn't done enough to really judge his writing (Game of Thrones is 50/50 and it's pretty much the only thing he did), Benioff is a pretty bad screenwriter. While he did write the book and screenplay for one of the best films of the 00's (The 25th Hour), pretty much everything he did after has sucked. His most notable film since The 25th Hour is The Kite Runner.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
lmao this would be great if it becomes the new "i dont know what you guys know about japanese culture. im an expert" meme

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
lol everyone is like "It's the mad Dany stans" but like

tumblr_prfds8qV5g1tv5kbjo1_640.jpg
I stopped watching GoT in the end of the 2nd season. I was really tempted to go back. This is the first time in my life that I got spoiled and I'm not mad for that.

I'm not a fan of any of the characters. I haven't finished even the first book. I still want them far and away of Star Wars.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Didn't they even recieve an Emmy for Season 7? While I agree the last season is lackluster in the writing department, they still would have some talent to be able to win an Emmy.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Has there been controversy regarding sexism, racism and transphobia from these writers in GoT? Or am I missing something? If so, please point it out.
there has been some.

but its weird because the hardcore book fans get pissed off if D&D change anything from the non existent books that the later seasons are using for their content. But also they need to change all the racism and sexism from the books, but keep it faithful to the books at the same time. especially all the sexism that the most powerful characters are all female.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

They fridged one of the only two black characters who they still let talk in the show two weeks ago, have made the two big women characters in the show crazy because only men are allowed to be shown as reasonable capable leaders, and one of their next projects is a passion project they've talked about publicly and privately for years about What Would Happen If The Confederacy Won And Some Slave Owners Were Good Actually?

Oct 29, 2017
The Dany issue is only part of a larger pattern. If it were that alone I'd raise an eyebrow but wouldn't necessarily jump to calling it sexist. And if I'm upset it's because every single time us women on here try to talk about the misogyny of the show we're shouted down by (male) fans who accuse of being "PC Police" and "looking to be offended" and "butthurt our fave didn't win". So you'll excuse me if I feel a tad defensive.
No excuse needed, i joked about something that means a lot to you and, despite the fact you may consider me one, there's a lot of cunts out there who will say things like that so it's not an issue and I didn't mean to upset you personally.

I do agree that the show is problematic, by the way, I just think Dany is less of an indicator of that issue that the larger universe so it was a natural skepticism of people jumping off and going mad at this point rather than prior and when they have a Dany avatar, it's an assumption I'm making.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, even with the main story points given to them by G.R.R.M they still can't connect them in any meaningful way. I hope Disney puts Star Wars in better hands.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched GoT but I think Disney picking flavor of the week directors/writers/whatever that are currently popular to do movies or even trilogies that are years off is pretty dumb. What was it that the dude who was originally doing IX even picked for? I guess it doesn't matter because he put out one shit movie in a span of a decade and now he's out, and I'd be surprised if something similar doesn't happen again.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Benioff made xmen origins wolverine, but also kite runner. He can turn out a good script if he has source material to follow and a more talented writer to limit his shitty impulses.
Benioff has more bad than good though.

Good
- The 25th Hour
- The Kite Runner (sort of)
- GoT S1-4

Bad
- Troy
- X-Men Origins
- Stay
- Brothers
- GoT S5-8

He has also written that Will Smith vs. Will Smith movie that's coming out later this year which looks pretty bad as well.

Interestingly, the novels he's written have all been well received. The 25th Hour was lauded (and of course again when it was turned into a movie) and his second novel served as a huge inspiration for The Last of Us.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
there has been some.

but its weird because the hardcore book fans get pissed off if D&D change anything from the non existent books that the later seasons are using for their content. But also they need to change all the racism and sexism from the books, but keep it faithful to the books at the same time. especially all the sexism that the most powerful characters are all female.

The only thing, in this season I remember people talking about, is Jon being a better ruler due to being a man since the other houses would accept a man over a women more easy.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The only thing, in this season I remember people talking about, is Jon being a better ruler due to being a man since the other houses would accept a man over a women more easy.
people were pissed off the dothraki died first and the unsullied were "protecting" everyone else.

that scene you mention though was really well done and specifically calls out the sexism of the rest of westeros.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: drive-by trolling, threadwhining
I need to make a thread about not caring.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
GRRM is to blame for everything. He sold HBO the rights to GoT and then failed to write actual books. Is what it is.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So guess y'all just missed the part about how D&D's writing is hideously misogynistic and racist (and homophobic too, yay) and are instead going for the low hanging fruit of "doi hoi butthurt dany stans" because that's easier than critical thinking and admitting your fave tits and dragons TV show is, in fact, problematic garbage and offensive to everyone who isn't a cishet white man huh

Guess what, I'm not white.

Cut the bullshit. The source material itself is full of racism, sexism, homophobia, and misogyny. That's literally the setting GRRM created. Not sure what gave you the expectation that Westeros was supposed to be some progressive, comfortable utopia.

That shit has been present in the show since Day 1 but something tells me you were giving it a pass until the show surpassed the books and the writing went downhill, after which you had this convenient faux-moral high ground to fall back on and try to shame people who still enjoy the thing you don't.

Take this trash back to Tumblr plz

Last edited:

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They fridged one of the only two black characters who they still let talk in the show two weeks ago, have made the two big women characters in the show crazy because only men are allowed to be shown as reasonable capable leaders, and one of their next projects is a passion project they've talked about publicly and privately for years about What Would Happen If The Confederacy Won And Some Slave Owners Were Good Actually?

From a story point,
killing of Missandei made Grey Worm lose his shit and stand by Dany whatever the situation (which was quite clear when Jon tried to stop the Northmen from attacking).

Dany going crazy was not far fetched either taking all context in.

The Confederacy... well let us see how it plays out before passing judgement (but I agree if you have good examples and think that DB is what some are saying I can totally see the issue).

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has never liked Star Wars very much, I'm hesitantly looking forward to their trilogy. I've only seen a few episodes of Game of Thrones, but I loved all of them. And while I adored Rian Johnson's episodes on Breaking Bad, I hated The Last Jedi so I'm not looking forward to his trilogy at all.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
This is what youre worried about this fine Monday morning?

Those Star Wars movie wont be out like half a decade

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
I'm beginning to think the expectations of GoT fans are more insane than those of Star Wars fans.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no, they'll fill star wars with weak dialogue, massive plot armor, and rush things together for the sake of plot goals.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Guess what, I'm not white.

Cut the bullshit. The source material itself is full of information and racism, sexism, homophobia, and misogyny. That's literally the setting GRRM created. Not sure what gave you the expectation that Westeros was supposed to be some progressive, comfortable utopia.

That shit has been present in the show since Day 1 but something tells me you were giving it a pass until the show surpassed the books and the writing went downhill, after which you had this convenient faux-moral high ground to fall back on and try to shame people who still enjoy the thing you don't.

Take this trash back to Tumblr plz
Bravo.

Jan 29, 2018
Has there been any confirmation that those Star Wars are still happening? The tentative schedule Disney put out had 3 movies, and I assumed it was Rian Johnson's trilogy.

I'd be interested to see what they come up with. If they're burnt out on GoT they might have fresh energy for something new.

The Last Jedi and last night's GoT are both good.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
people were pissed off the dothraki died first and the unsullied were "protecting" everyone else.

that scene you mention though was really well done and specifically calls out the sexism of the rest of westeros.

Yeah, well I don't agree on those point at all, due to 1) Unsullied are the best troop they have, of course they need to defend when they are escaping. 2) Dothraki, well they are skirmishers which should attack and retreat (but yes, their tactics where idiotic and it happened only because of budget reasons).