• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
The Dany issue is only part of a larger pattern. If it were that alone I'd raise an eyebrow but wouldn't necessarily jump to calling it sexist. And if I'm upset it's because every single time us women on here try to talk about the misogyny of the show we're shouted down by (male) fans who accuse of being "PC Police" and "looking to be offended" and "butthurt our fave didn't win". So you'll excuse me if I feel a tad defensive.

You're completely correct, but it's not just misogyny for the record. Make no mistake, it's still rampant and there have been times on this show and various other shows known members of this community excused and supported senseless rape of any and every female cast member for no reason other than Shock Value

But as I mentioned in my previous post, these particular creators have an obvious history with racism that black fans on here and on other communities have called out rightfully, received with derision on here time and again

I ain't even getting into their history with openly queer characters, which hits home hardest and hurts most for me. Still present though. Still ignored and criticized here

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Benioff has more bad than good though.

Good
- The 25th Hour
- The Kite Runner (sort of)
- GoT S1-4

Bad
- Troy
- X-Men Origins
- Stay
- Brothers
- GoT S5-8

He has also written that Will Smith vs. Will Smith movie that's coming out later this year which looks pretty bad as well.

Interestingly, the novels he's written have all been well received. The 25th Hour was lauded (and of course again when it was turned into a movie) and his second novel served as a huge inspiration for The Last of Us.

I'll never understand how Beinoff wrote The 25th Hour but then also write so much trash.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
But as I mentioned in my previous post, these particular creators have an obvious history with racism that black fans on here and on other communities have called out rightfully, received with derision on here time and again

I ain't even getting into their history with openly queer characters, which hits home hardest and hurts most for me. Still present though. Still ignored and criticized here

Oh I absolutely agree with you on both counts, but as a white person I don't really feel qualified to talk about the show's racism beyond the obvious. And yeah the homophobia used to be a massive problem but. You know. They killed all the gay characters so there's nothing to talk about anymore on that front :/

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Guess what, I'm not white.

Cut the bullshit. The source material itself is full of information and racism, sexism, homophobia, and misogyny. That's literally the setting GRRM created. Not sure what gave you the expectation that Westeros was supposed to be some progressive, comfortable utopia.

That shit has been present in the show since Day 1 but something tells me you were giving it a pass until the show surpassed the books and the writing went downhill, after which you had this convenient faux-moral high ground to fall back on and try to shame people who still enjoy the thing you don't.

Take this trash back to Tumblr plz
quoting for truth.

I never saw any of the "racist, sexist, homophobic" talk about the the show or books until recent seasons.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Oh I absolutely agree with you on both counts, but as a white person I don't really feel qualified to talk about the show's racism beyond the obvious. And yeah the homophobia used to be a massive problem but. You know. They killed all the gay characters so there's nothing to talk about anymore on that front :/

Oh, I have to say, this applies to me as well.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like this is a bit of an overreaction lol and I say that as someone who hasn't really liked any of the new Star Wars Movies at all aside from Rogue One

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
quoting for truth.

I never saw any of the "racist, sexist, homophobic" talk about the the show or books until recent seasons.

Lmao we have literally been out here since season 1 criticising the show's portrayal of women and POC and LGBT folks but people ignored us because wughghgh tits and dragons

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
lol everyone is like "It's the mad Dany stans" but like

tumblr_prfds8qV5g1tv5kbjo1_640.jpg
"People who like good stories"

But you praised both the Star Wars prequels and sequels in the OP. Rey, Finn, and Poe not interacting much at all (Rey and Poe don't even meet until the very end of TLJ, ffs) is not good storytelling / character building.

I think you should give the new movies a chance when they come out. Not that I believe this is anything more than an overreaction, though. I think if you're enough of a Star Wars diehard to watch all the films and consume the expanded universe content, you'll watch the new D&D films too.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Benioff has more bad than good though.

Good
- The 25th Hour
- The Kite Runner (sort of)
- GoT S1-4

Bad
- Troy
- X-Men Origins
- Stay
- Brothers
- GoT S5-8

He has also written that Will Smith vs. Will Smith movie that's coming out later this year which looks pretty bad as well.

Interestingly, the novels he's written have all been well received. The 25th Hour was lauded (and of course again when it was turned into a movie) and his second novel served as a huge inspiration for The Last of Us.
X Men origins is unforgivable. What a trash film

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Why do people always act like Star Wars has some huge quality standard? Like 30% of it is truly great….
Same reason people act like Game of Thrones has a huge quality standard. Toxic fanbase who makes media part of their identity. Even the author of the source material gets shit on when he finally releases something.

Oct 28, 2017
Girl, I'm with you except I'll wait for the trailer to drop. That's if they ever get a chance to make their films.

D&D are hacks. But, perhaps Kathleen will force them to write a decent script.

The same Kathleen that let the middle episode of a trilogy get written and created with zero input and conversation from the writer of episodes 7 and 9? Yeah. Really trust her with this.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
This is an awful take. People may not agree with what they did with Game of Thrones, but writing GoT after the books came with its own issues. They could make fantastic Star Wars stuff.

People wanting these two to fail and lose their careers is the epitome of shitty fandom.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Lmao we have literally been out here since season 1 criticising the show's portrayal of women and POC and LGBT folks but people ignored us because wughghgh tits and dragons

Stuff Was Good At Exploding so treatment of people like us was easy to overlook

Weird how it's always "X Thing Happened so treatment of people like us was easy to overlook" but there's an issue when it happens to a straight white boy tho

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any confirmation that those Star Wars are still happening? The tentative schedule Disney put out had 3 movies, and I assumed it was Rian Johnson's trilogy.

Kathleen Kennedy mentioned a few weeks ago she, Rian, and D&D were getting together to map out the next decade of Star Wars, so they're definitely still involved.

X Men origins is unforgivable. What a trash film

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. That shit was just bad in all directions.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
perfect, this goes back to my other post.
there has been some.

but its weird because the hardcore book fans get pissed off if D&D change anything from the non existent books that the later seasons are using for their content. But also they need to change all the racism and sexism from the books, but keep it faithful to the books at the same time. especially all the sexism that the most powerful characters are all female.

but according to you i'm not allowed to have any thoughts on female issues in the show cause i have a penis, right? Yea i saw that post of yours.
sorry i didnt join the shitty threads back on gaf to see you or others complaining about these issues, judging by what i've read of the GOT thread this season(the only season i've even bothered to join the threads) im glad i didnt. Most fans are insufferable, not even talking about complaining about sexism or racism, just the generic criticisms of the show.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
For real. People have short memories.

I've been heavily implying it in my previous posts but figured it'd be worth making its own explicit post: it's intentionally short. It's the point. They don't care about us. In shows or in film or in music or in books or in plays or in games or especially in reality. They're real good at pretending they act like they do when it counts though!

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Refusing to watch it seems extreme to me...for my part, I'm just more suspicious and wary now of what their Star Wars material will be (if it actually happens and isn't just vague production deal vaporware) than I would have been, say, four or five years ago. And besides, none of the new SW stuff has been that great for me, so I don't think there's some profound series mystique that they could ruin. If the fear is that they'd bring sloppy writing and awkward character work and plot holes to the table, well...we've been there for a long time in Star Wars Land.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never understand how Beinoff wrote The 25th Hour but then also write so much trash.
I recently rewatched Troy and it's funny how much of the complaints about these later seasons of Game of Thrones also fit in there:

- It's blatantly misogynistic, all female characters just exist to serve the men
- It erases all gay-ness from the source text. In the Illiad, Patrocles is Achilles' best friend and lover, in the movie he's his 'cousin'
- It basically skips around all political aspects of the story to go straight into the fighting
- The complex love story between Achilles and Briseis is abbreviated to "Slave girl is so impressed by Achilles' muscles and manliness that she falls in love with him"
- It straight up removes all supernatural and overtly religious elements from the source, even going so far as to have Achilles and Hector claim that 'Believing in Gods is only a thing stupid people do'.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The difference between D&D and Rian Johnson is that Rian's character arcs make sense for the characters he was writing. D&D rushed their ending and filled it with misogyny along the way which is the exact opposite of how Rian wrote TLJ.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So then why the fuck are you still watching the show 10 years later? Making sure everyone knows how offended you are by the popular thing is that important to you? Glutton for punishment?

Grats man, you found a way to continue watching the "wughghgh tits and dragons" AND try to look superior and more enlightened than everyone else also watching!

Thanks for being offended on my behalf as a PoC though!

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I recently rewatched Troy and it's funny how much of the complaints about these later seasons of Game of Thrones also fit in there:

- It's blatantly misogynistic, all female characters just exist to serve the men
- It erases all gay-ness from the source text. In the Illiad, Patrocles is Achilles' best friend and lover, in the movie he's his 'cousin'
- It basically skips around all political aspects of the story to go straight into the fighting
- The complex love story between Achilles and Briseis is abbreviated to "Slave girl is so impressed by Achilles' muscles and manliness that she falls in love with him"
- It straight up removes all supernatural and overtly religious elements from the source, even going so far as to have Achilles and Hector claim that 'Believing in Gods is only a thing stupid people do'.

These are some good points, thanks!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people really think they'd ruin Star Wars. I'm a lifelong Star Wars fan, but they'd never really been much more than big dumb epic fantasy. Game of Thrones started out as a kind of antithesis of that sort of style. It was more sophisticated and had more realistic consequences rather than larger than life heroes and plot armor. Now people are mad at GoT but it's because they've turned it into that sort of thing, which Star Wars already was.

That and it's not like they can add a bunch of rape to Star Wars. The IP should keep their edgy nonsense in check.

We'll see I guess.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: drive-by posting
I saw your avatar, and knew the OP wouldn't be worth reading.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
So then why the fuck are you still watching the show 10 years later? Making sure everyone knows how offended you are by the popular thing is that important to you? Glutton for punishment?

Grats man, you found a way to continue watching the "wughghgh tits and dragons" AND try to look Superior and more enlightened than everyone else also watching!

Because GOT is the most popular show on TV and we kind of want people to realise that it's also a misogynistic racist homophobic mess because it's massively influential and we don't want its grossness to bleed into other stuff?????? And we need to watch it to be able to construct an argument as to why it's gross??????

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people here are angry about the last season of GoT as if they had a ton of money riding on certain outcomes and lost some kind of office pool.

The show is great. Not perfect, but still amazing all around.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
They did a fantastic job with GoT. Although I do think this last season would profit from more episodes, especially because HBO seems to be ok with that.

As long as their project is about Revan and KoTOR, I'm game.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Completely accurate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% with you OP. All those saying we're salty because of what happened to Dany in GoT are completely wrong. The writing has been terrible all around. I'm worried about what they do to Star Wars and of its anywhere near the lazy and uninspired writing of GoT, I'm out.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like them much, but...lol.

Maybe Disney will let them go like the other guys anyway.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm a long time fan too. Watched the Original Trilogy as a kid and never looked back.

Love Star Wars...

....but some of you take this stuff WAY too seriously. Just enjoy what comes and stop stressing. I don't think I've ever let any media upset me like I see it upset some people. I enjoyed the Prequels when they came out too, even if I think they look awful (CGI wise) and consider them the lame ducks of Star Wars.

Looking back, they're pretty bad, but I don't wish they never existed.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Let's all just remember how Colin Trevorrow's star was rising with Safety Not Guaranteed and Jurassic World, got hired by Disney for SW IX, but then had 'creative differences" after The Book of Henry became this decade's The Room.

History is not yet written!