• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason that Google have a reputation for killing products that aren't instantly successful is that they routinely kill products that are not instantly successful. That's not a business model that is consequence-free for Google. Every time they end a service that people were using - and by now they've done that lots of times, to lots of people - they add to that reputation.

I don't believe that Google will shut down Stadia in the near future, because it's a paid product and I think that's a key difference. However, the people who do believe that Google will close Stadia are just going by the reputation that Google have created for themselves. People who used services like Hangouts, Reader, Inbox and many others put their trust in Google and Google casually threw that trust away. It's not unreasonable of people to expect Google to earn that trust back the hard way with Stadia.

Like 80% of those services on killedbygoogle I'd hazard to guess nobody even heard of. Sure they've killed a *few* things people have used like Reader but I feel like its mostly a disingenuous meme at this point.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Has googled ever killed a service that people can buy digital content off of?

I mean still have all my movies and music from google play.

Darkset

Oct 28, 2017
There isn't anything controversial here at all. In fact all the concerns you have raised were issues that others raised when it was first announced. The data use, game catalogue, killed by Google mantra, cost of Pro, lag and image quality are still up in the air.

Personally I won't touch the service since I have consoles and a gaming PC. Exclusives won't draw me in.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
the idea of a streaming only service where you have to buy the games individually, and on top of that pay a monthly fee if you want the highest quality streaming, is a very tough sell.

This, it feels like a really bad value proposition. I don't even particularly care for 4K (yet), but I do use 5.1. Even if I ended up using 4k the only way to *ever* play that game that way is to pay 9.99 a month to do so? For the exact same price a standard PC copy would cost me that'd allow me to do that without all the extra costs? That allows me to play offline with my own preferred graphic settings including framerate?

Yes 'But consoles and their monthly fee'. So for PC they're not offering that value in comparison, yet they're not offering what the consoles offer, which is not the console itself but the associated exclusive libraries. Instead they're pretty much offering a full list of games that's already on PC. It doesn't feel like they're competing with a console and it won't unless they start growing a first party exclusive library.

I really struggle seeing the value, and that's not because I have an issue with game streaming, I expect it to become the norm eventually and I'll probably be fine using it with my glass fibre. I just feel the negatives outweigh their offering. The only reason it's on my radar is OMD3 exclusivity period.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Like 80% of those services on killedbygoogle I'd hazard to guess nobody even heard of. Sure they've killed a *few* things people have used like Reader but I feel like its mostly a disingenuous meme at this point.
Sure, 80% of the services there were barely used by anyone. However, even if ignore those entirely, try looking at the numbers of people who were using the remaining 20%.

When corporations mess about with the trust of hundreds of millions of people, they should do in with the awareness that those are consequential actions that damage their reputation. They shouldn't pretend that they're meaningless, and you shouldn't either.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's a big reason too why it's hard to be optimistic about stadia, it's coming out right around when companies who actually know what they're doing when it comes to gaming and already have huge catalogs of games to offer (including exclusives that stadia will never be able to match) are coming out with similar services. where does that leave stadia? will it ever have something like gow/uncharted/halo/forza to offer as an exclusive?
And the fact google has a very well known reputation of dropping products or changing policy's out of the blue.

let's be honest here the only cool left in google is the non tech Who want to be digital savvy people, who think it's cool to go to Google workshops and post instagrams/twitter photos saying they are at Google ;)

google search and YouTube are starting to Walk a very thin line with their bad habits of policy changes and monetization which could see them start to see loss of market lead.

They really need a fresh leader like Satya to take the lead as it feels like a bunch of teens deciding things while on a lunch break

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
honestly not sure why anyone is putting any thought into stadia at this point. its a very poor value and doesn't make any sense. its likely to fail without major changes, and most assume google will shut it down in a year or two anyway. they come out with bizarre shit like "negative latency" and "ISPs will adjust data caps for us". like what are they even thinking?

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
it's only timed exclusive, no?
Thankfully it is, but it's going to be a tough wait :)

I'm also skeptical the PC version will be any different from the Stadia version, despite their Stadia promotion about how many orcs the game could have but I guess we'll see. It was funded by Google after all.

Probably would've been great value had they made OMD3 F2P on Stadia or something, it would get a ton of people to at least try out the service. Or at least offer it as a free monthly game but I'm not sure they'd do that before it's out of it's exclusivity period since it would hamper sales on other platforms. After that I could see it showing up though. Still, that means you could only play it with the fee, I'll get the local over that.

Last edited:

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Real talk: who isnt? Even people who want to try this out or are excited for the tech in the future dont have that much faith in Stadia.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm not who cares if google succeeds or fails. They're rich beyond belief and probably don't pay taxes

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
My only concern is no exclusive game because that's the only reason I'd pick up a couple months of a streaming service.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
This just seems to be a soft launch for Stadia. It's like getting an early consumer VR headset - it's for enthusiasts to use and aid in ironing out the issues.

Problems like data caps aren't an issue worldwide, and I doubt they'll stand in the way of the efforts Microsoft, Sony and Google long-term, especially when it's already a conflict with 4K streaming Netflix or soon Disney+.

I don't think it's technology that will be interesting until we enter next-gen. Google are getting a start now but I think they're just laying the groundwork for having a compelling service in 2021 when you can play those sparse next-gen exclusive games without upgrading.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not concerned because I don't think it will be worth anything to begin and end with. It's like being concerned with the Ouya.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
many Games claim you only own a license to play them. Always on may try again to rear it's head next gen. Game ownership isn't as cut and dry as it was once upon a time. But I get the concern. For me, I am not concerned. The price to play if fairly cheap, I am sure there will be free to play games, and we will learn more in the future.

I am critical of their marketing campaign, which sucks. We are one month out for founders and we still don't have a cohesive vision, IMO.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am obviously not the target here but I see no reason to use Stadia, not when Xbox and PlayStation are also offering proper streaming soon and have a wider array of games. Ultimately the quality of the service and games will matter the most, but so far they have shown me no reason to invest.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Could you think of some examples of games like these in the past that wouldn't have also been exclusive to the platform they were on? (PS/Xbox) Or are you mostly thinking PC here?

There aren't a ton - Assassin's Creed Unity comes to mind. Dying Light was also a fairly early next-gen only commitment. There will also be multi-gen games where, based on the specs, Stadia could assert visual parity with next-gen hardware.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

I feel like this is the correct image to be used here. I'm worried about it too and probably won't be investing early on, would love for it to prove me wrong and stick around as I think the potential is enormous moving forward if it can survive a rough beginning.

I was also pretty excited for Google+ a bit ago and I think we know how that went.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only exciting thing about Stadia is the Wi-Fi controller, since it interacts directly with the router instead of the device playing the content. That might save a few precious milliseconds in latency where every millisecond counts, and will make it easier to hop from device to device for those that want to use that functionality.

It's the economics of the system that squanders that bit of potential, though. There are great game streaming services available right now (like GeForce Now and its Seemingly Endless Beta) that use existing PC game libraries. Buying a Stadia game that's only good on Stadia makes it dead in the water for anyone with decent local hardware or even a console. If their target market is people that want to buy full price AAA games but don't already have even a local console, but also happen to have great internet, then I'm sure that demographic will be happy. I just feel that this demographic is so thin that Google will write off Stadia in 2-3 years because that's what Google does.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
with no data cap and fast connection, i can definetly see an appeal for it.
like i will not be able to play red2, cyberpunk or whatnot on my pc anywhere near 4k 60fps. without substantial upgrades.

so definetly willing to give it a try,
really suspicious about the latency tough.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
There aren't a ton - Assassin's Creed Unity comes to mind. Dying Light was also a fairly early next-gen only commitment. There will also be multi-gen games where, based on the specs, Stadia could assert visual parity with next-gen hardware.
So PC games mostly, not something you'd actually buy (or replace) a console for. I get why, with Stadia's payment model of a monthly fee, they compare themselves to consoles but gamewise I'm just not seeing the logic.

with no data cap and fast connection, i can definetly see an appeal for it.
like i will not be able to play red2, cyberpunk or whatnot on my pc anywhere near 4k 60fps. without substantial upgrades.

so definetly willing to give it a try,
really suspicious about the latency tough.

They're not guaranteed to be 60FPS on Stadia either so if you have 4K anyway but aren't reaching 60FPS gameplay you may want to wait to see if the game on Stadia is 30 or 60FPS before trying it out. (the videostream is guaranteed to be 60FPS but not the gameplay)

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I feel like it's going to be very DOA but could maybe grow over time; it just doesn't have the mind share at the moment, and even if it did I would still be skeptical.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing really new here, but personally playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on ultra settings is already 100% worth it.

Third Party Games are the killer App.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because I'm playing a cloud version of a game........

There is a big difference in terms of digital game and a cloud game.

Well yes but I don't understand why that makes it inherently less valuable. Cyberpunk 2027 is still Cyberpunk and still the same content no matter if you play it on console via steam or via streaming.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm very curious in trying Stadia, but I don't think I'm going to be comfortable buying games for the service until first I know it works well, and second of all Stadia is here to stay.

Until then I hope there are some free to play games I can play around with on the service come next year.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine they'll announce the launch date on Tuesday.

The Made by Google event is the last chance they have to create some excitement for the launch.

Last edited:

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
We're gonna see how it goes I guess. People over here are not their target audience (or at least we shouldn't be). Most people here have a console / gaming PC and I just can't see how Stadia can interest us. I'm pretty cool with having graphics tuned down on my PS4.
Actually, thinking about it.... who is their target audience? I think at this point most people interested in gaming are involved already.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I just view it as DOA. It's just another thing for Google to flirt with then cancel.

I'm not a believer in streamed gaming services personally so it might just be my bias.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Google can't maintain a goddamn thing that's not the Google search engine and Chrome. (Without considering the RAM consumption)
Stadia is a concept that has merit, and while I was more than happy to see another company approach the console market, living in a dream land where bandwidth and data consumption isn't a problem all over the US is not the way to approach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.