• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I buy a game to try out the service and when it's not very good I just don't buy any more on stadia. Apart from £40-£60 I haven't lost anything. I paid more for other games in the past on other platforms which after few hours, I never touched again.

I assume you didn't keep playing those other games because the game didn't turn out to be that great, not because the way your device could play it was unacceptable? Those are different things imo. And if it had been for a console, if you'd gone physical you could've at least recovered money by reselling it. But it's your money of course. It's fine if people want to try something out. I'm just, personally, struggling to see the value in it.

But I'm a PC main so that makes sense I guess. I don't see nor expect to play on my phone or something. Even if I wanted to it would probably be restricted to my house since anywhere else I don't have uncapped internet capable of doing it.

I mean, this is supposed to be for a playerbase (apart from the 'it's cool' crowd) that is not capable or unwilling to upgrade to a next-gen console or a better PC, but somehow *is* interested in buying the newest games at full price and/or pay a monthly fee. It just feels like a really tiny margin in there.

streaming will eventually be the way we play games and it doesn't matter for me if it's on stadia, xcloud or Psnow. There more options i have the better.
I agree that this is probably where we're heading. We're basically at the point where services are rushing to become the Steam of the game streaming space.

Oct 26, 2017
Stadia to me at most would be acceptable as a complementary service. A bonus on a traditional storefront. Streaming to me is more of a gimmick, as too many factors are outside of my or the streaming service providers control. And Google is the last company I'd trust with sticking with the service if it doesn't take off.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I think Stadia will do just fine amongst the mainstream. Consoles will do just fine too until 20 years time and all the kids are streaming games and all Sony and Microsoft do is sell controllers and stream to apps and Era members are shaking their fists at clouds, and Nintendo is seen as outdated because they still sell games on cartridge and are surviving off unique gimmicks, and they'll be arguments about how Nintendo's graphics are outdated because their hardware can't match the quality of streaming and then the counter argument of being able to play a game in places where internet connections are still crappy at best and people post from mountain tops with their latest Nintendo console to prove the point.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I ordered the founders package, but there's a lot I don't know atm.

Launch date and interface being the obvious ones - but how about player pools for multiplayer? Do I have to play destiny with stadia players only or can I join my steam friends? How about RDR2?

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much everything is pointing to a big failure I think, technology just isn't there yet (when even Google showing it themselves have massive input delay) although some of the concepts of streaming a game straight from watching it on YouTube sound very cool I just don't think we're there yet.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I have good internet and no data caps so I got the Founder's Edition to check it out. Wanted a Chromecast anyway. If I get 4K gaming working well until PS5 then I will be happy. If it's good I might even be able to put off buying that for a bit until prices come down.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I am unconcerned about Stadia because like most people I don't plan to use it nor pay it any attention outside of pointing and laughing at its inevitable failure

Nov 4, 2017
Stadia isn't even available in my region (and probably never will be), so I feel nothing for it. As a time-poor dad with a full time job and other hobbies, the concept of being able to pick up my game on any device and fit a half hour session in is intriguing if priced right. But I can't imagine it ever seeing the light of day here due to the high cost of server space and our crappy internet infrastructure (and I'm one of the lucky ones with a good connection).

In all honesty, I think game streaming and the "all digital future" are just fantasies the privileged like to amuse themselves with. The vast majority of gamers live in places where gaming streaming isn't viable. With the reliability of power and internet decreasing in coming years due to climate change, streaming and going all digital will become less attractive to many users. Couple that with increasing recessions and depressions worldwide, streaming services will be a difficult ongoing expense for a lot of people.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I have a stadia PO, for $130 I figure I get a 4k chromecast (may be super useful for Disney+), a new controller to play with, and 3 months of Destiny 2 premium so its worth it. When my 3 month pro trial runs out I'll still have a free, 1080p service and controller.

but yeah, Stadia feels like a product that is being designed and championed by hardware engineers, with a software team that is almost invisible. There are NO games that seem to be launching as Stadia exclusive that feel like you gotta play it on day one. There are no games that seem to be launching or even on any sort of roadmap that seem only possible on Stadia. Its totally bizarre.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I have a stadia PO, for $130 I figure I get a 4k chromecast (may be super useful for Disney+), a new controller to play with, and 3 months of Destiny 2 premium so its worth it. When my 3 month pro trial runs out I'll still have a free, 1080p service and controller.

The free, 1080p service you 'still' have is going to be rather meaningless without any games so you'd have to calculate buying those in.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More people should watch this. It addresses concerns about Google abandoning Stadia and answers a lot of other questions.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The free, 1080p service you 'still' have is going to be rather meaningless without any games so you'd have to calculate buying those in.

yeah, the nice thing is D2 is f2p so that'll always be available if I just wanna fuck around on the road or whatever for 15 mins with a game. I'm sure there'll be 1-2 games I'll pay for eventually, I assume stadia will have sales and stuff like everyone else. It does expose another flaw though, not exactly fair to "blame" stadia but end of the day all I care about is my final experience. I'll probably play Cyberpunk 2077 on my PC, but that game will not have any sort of cross save (like Destiny 2) so if I play on stadia its a totally different save. Same with Watch Dogs 3, etc. So I'm not only rebuying the game if I wanna play on stadia but its a save that is disconnected completely from my other copies of the game, great.

Just every single turn Stadia took the easiest way out instead of really tackling the tough problems of cross save, cross buy, cross play, etc. At least with xCloud, while its all still theoretical, I know I'll have GamePass for a huge library of games, I'll have cross save and cross buy to have a decent library size with no extra investment AND for first party games I have a single unified save, and maybe even cross play.

Ironically I might enjoy stadia the most if it supports xCloud, I'd use the "hardware" of stadia but the games backend of microsoft. Of course I can't really imagine any scenario in which xCloud and stadia work together, it doesn't really make much of any business sense.

Last edited:

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
yeah, the nice thing is D2 is f2p so that'll always be available if I just wanna fuck around on the road or whatever for 15 mins with a game.

True, I guess you could just load it up on Steam or something to play it. I assume that's account based rather than saves. As for the saves, it would make a lot of sense if they at least offered you a way to download your saves.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to believe in it, but what if you buy games on it, and then it shuts down. You lose everything?

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty, I'm really excited by the concept.
But when I really think about it, I feel that this is something I cannot, in good conscience, support.
All the computational resources and internet bandwidth they are using up to support this service just seems wasteful.
They could be using all this power to crunch numbers and cure cancer or something, but instead we're getting an entertainment service that may not even work for the majority of the people on Earth. It just feels wrong.

At least with Netflix, you can buffer the video stream, but with Stadia what are they going to do if the connection craps out? Rollback to a previous save state? Meanwhile, the processors in the data center are still crunching away, eating up electricity, trying to encode the stream and push it to you.

All the suits who came up with this idea should be asking themselves why they even want to do it, instead of whether they're able to do it.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of always-online games being released isn't opinion my dude

Jedi: Fallen Order will probably work offline just fine. The Outer Worlds will probably work offline just fine. Borderlands 3 works offline just fine. CoD MW will probably work offline just fine, even if the online multiplayer is the big draw. Pokémon Sword and Shield will probably work offline just fine. So on and so on.

It absolutely is.

pcigre

Aug 19, 2019
But when I really think about it, I feel that this is something I cannot, in good conscience, support.
All the computational resources and internet bandwidth they are using up to support this service just seems wasteful.
They could be using all this power to crunch numbers and cure cancer or something, but instead we're getting an entertainment service that may not even work for the majority of the people on Earth. It just feels wrong.

At least with Netflix, you can buffer the video stream, but with Stadia what are they going to do if the connection craps out? Rollback to a previous save state? Meanwhile, the processors in the data center are still crunching away, eating up electricity, trying to encode the stream and push it to you.

All the suits who came up with this idea should be asking themselves why they even want to do it, instead of whether they're able to do it.

You are aware that cloud computing is by far greener than personal computing?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

What do you think about all the shipping, plastic, and waste associated with putting 100M consoles out into the world?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Now this is how you concern troll. Such absurdity can be considered nothing else.

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Completely left my mind that I made this thread around ten days ago. The other Stadia threads reminded me of this and I wanted to check it out. While it's not an old thread, I would like to respond back to some posts that I missed!

I'm not even gonna read this post. Is Stadia your child or something? What's to be "concerned" about? It's a gaming platform, if you don't like it, don't use it, nothing will be lost.

I just think Google is doing a poor job at marketing this, and there's a lot to be worried about with the future of this device. I think if Google launched in 2020, with no paid founder's edition beta, with some killer first party titles, there would be much more interest. Also, if datacaps weren't a worry, I would be interested into checking out Stadia. I would prefer to play games at 4K60fps with HDR. If I did that, I would eat into my datacap, let alone, use up data that the rest of my family uses.
If youre disinterested why would you give a shit?

Unless you mean you WANT it to succeed but dont think it will
Also this isnt controversial.
I give no fucks for it and i see it dead in a year.
If im wrong im wrong and it at best becomes a backup option for some people

Ultimately, it would be great for Stadia to succeed. More competition is a good thing! Even if I was disinterested, if Google could prove me wrong with some killer exclusives, that would be great. Gaming is my hobby, but right now, there aren't any appealing games that I can't get anywhere else.

This is actually probably going to happen and is the real reason to be concerned. 10-15 years from now we'll very likely no longer have physical hardware for games except for PC's.

I think physical games will remain for quite awhile. Though, I am not against 100% digital titles. In fact, 98% of my PS4 and Switch library is digital. I prefer to just launch straight into my games. Of course, I understand the appeal of physical media. It's fun to borrow, trade or rent games.

My only concern is no exclusive game because that's the only reason I'd pick up a couple months of a streaming service.

Right now, other than the few exclusives I listed in my first post, I don't see the appeal of Stadia when I own a PS4 or Switch. Even when nextgen consoles come out, I would prefer to put $400-500 down on a PS5 other than paying $60 to stream the game on Stadia. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are very reputable and put out amazing, high quality exclusive games. Right now, Stadia hasn't proven it's at that same level. Also, I would much prefer to download my games over streaming them.
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

I feel like this is the correct image to be used here. I'm worried about it too and probably won't be investing early on, would love for it to prove me wrong and stick around as I think the potential is enormous moving forward if it can survive a rough beginning.

I was also pretty excited for Google+ a bit ago and I think we know how that went.

I honestly forgot about Google+. I remember there was a lot of hype with that. I even got a few codes in it's first run, and people from my facebook who I barely talked to asked for codes. Then, Google+ kind of died.

with no data cap and fast connection, i can definetly see an appeal for it.
like i will not be able to play red2, cyberpunk or whatnot on my pc anywhere near 4k 60fps. without substantial upgrades.

so definetly willing to give it a try,
really suspicious about the latency tough.

With no datacap, I am more on board for Stadia. It's nice, since you won't have to upgrade your PC. Though, for me, I just don't want to stream the games. I am glad that it will work for you, though!

In this day and age 50% of the games are already always online.

Not even close.

OP is not interested in Stadia at all...which makes this thread kind of odd

I tried to write out my thoughts as to why I am worried about Stadia. How is that odd?

You're watching your favourite youtube series. An ad plays for cyberpunk. Except it isn't a trailer it's just the charter standing still. 'Oh shit I can move the character.'

I think you will have to buy the game first, but a small demo like that would be interesting, and a good way to sell games to people who otherwise had no interest in them!

Stadia is a pretty hard sell atm, unless you're one of very few gamers who is just "I want ALL my games streamed". The fact that google effectively has one impressive timed exclusive (The Tequila Works game) and nothing else to prop their service up but old ports. They definitely have their work cut out for them in getting more people to adopt into the system.
Will be interesting to see if they stick with it, or just end up dropping it like a lot of their other products.

I have that same thought. I think the market of people who want all their games streamed, or want triple A games for $60 streamed, but don't own a console or PC is relatively minor. Everything right now on Stadia are multiplatform games, older ports, and two timed exclusives. Time will tell when Stadia's full launch in 2020 is any different.

More people should watch this. It addresses concerns about Google abandoning Stadia and answers a lot of other questions.

Thanks, I will check this out! :)

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Your own OP states how you are disinterested and don't care about Stadia.. So how are your possibly concerned about it?
I didn't say I don't care about Stadia, but I did say I am disinterested. In my post I wrote about the lack of exclusives, lack of seeing Google's own development teams, Google's history of killing off services and their approach to gaming. Those are solid concerns.

Also, I think the market of people who want new games in 4K60 with HDR, that don't own any current console or PC is small.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think anyone with any common sense had concerns it wasn't going to last very long. And the evidence has been mounting ever since.

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
I feel this will be a controversial topic, and these are my opinions and concerns. If you don't agree with me, that's okay. I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts and have a discussion. Maybe I am looking at Stadia negatively, but I am wanting to see the community's thoughts and why they're excited or concerned.

I don't believe in Google Stadia. We're one month away from the supposed November launch, and we don't even have a release date. I do think the technology is innovative and what Google is doing is interesting. It seems to be pushing Sony and Microsoft to work together and further into cloud gaming. Though, that's not the reason I am concerned about Stadia.

I am disinterested in Stadia because of the games and because of Google's history of shutting down/killing services. It doesn't give me hope that Stadia will be around for that long.

Looking at the games, there's been around 40 games announced according to the Stadia website, and there are only two exclusives that we know of, being Orcs Must Die 3 (timed) and Gylt. The majority of the other games are ports, or are multiplatforms launching the same time as other consoles/PC. To me, Stadia is missing a killer app, and the games list isn't exciting if you own any other console or PC. There are some big names associated with Stadia, Phil Harrison and Jade Raymond come to mind; but instead of hearing these names, I want to see some of the studios they're building or acquiring to generate hype and interest.

I do understand Stadia's approach is different, appealing to people without a console. Though, I think most people who want to play large scale titles, like RDR2 already own it elsewhere. There's also the concern of ISP's and datacaps. I do understand that there are many places without datacaps, depending where you live and who your ISP is. Although, I believe the majority of Stadia's consumers will have a datacap, at least in some markets. If you decide to subscribe to the Stadia Pro service for $10, you will be able to stream 4K 60fps games, which I imagine will eat through consumer's datacap.

My last concern is Google itself. While I believe this is a much larger investment for Google than some other products it's introduced, I still have the thought that Google will eventually kill the service. I think we're due for a Stadia Connect soon, so hopefully that sways my concerns.

edit: Forgot to mention, the Made by Google event is on the 15th. While it's the Pixel 4 event, since Stadia is a Google product, it wouldn't surprise me if we got some more news on Stadia then.
Hehe who bumped this, thought it was a new topic

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I mean, they literally just reaffirmed their commitment to continuing Stadia.

Reaffirmations are almost always exactly the opposite of what they superficially convey.

Every reaffirmation I've ever heard in the video game industry has been followed up by a cancellation, sunsetting, or abandonment of the thing in question. Companies don't reaffirm commitments to viable products.

The big one I remember was the "third pillar" talk about the Game Boy line when the first DS was released. I'm sure Era at large can think of many other examples.

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Sup.

Feel lost most people were right, that this wouldn't take off.

What a waste of time, money and talent from Google.

Can someone lock the thread lol

Status
Not open for further replies.