• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Rayman Legends platinum.

It's not that difficult but it just takes months (in real time). You have to get to "awesomeness" level 11 but 100% completing the game only gets you like half the way there.

You basically have to log in every day to play the daily and weekly challenge levels (procedurally generated levels that rotate through like 6 or so different themes). The amount of points you get depends on where you come in the leaderboard that day/week and it can take about three months to get enough for level 11. Some people are really good (or are cheating) so it's basically impossible to be in the top tier, which makes the grind even worse.

It boils down to having to play essentially the same levels everyday for months on end and there's no faster way to do it.

I love that game but the platinum was a nightmare.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking I agree with Star Ocean 4 for the topic title. Playthroughs across all difficulty levels, non-stacking. 100% weapon/item/quest/etc completion. Zhao_Yun touched upon it but some of those battle trophies involve bullshit like doing exact amounts of damage with specific characters. For all playable characters. And each character has 100 of them.

The answer to the first post is Okage's Feeling Lucky, which involves getting a rare drop from an uncommon enemy.
...I elected to replay the entire game so I can grind the boss encounter with four of them. Problem is I haven't been assed to get that far through the game again. Maybe someday...

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Much like yourself OP, FFX was the most tedious for me.
Took me 110 hours.
40 hours playing the actual game.
60 hours doing the post-game and optional stuff.
And 10 hours alone filling in all the sphere grids... At least I was able to watch TV while I did this, but oi, never again.

Also MGS4 plat, but only because I had the bright idea of trying to go for it ASAP. Probably wouldn't have been so bad if I spaced it out.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have to ask. What is the compulsion to 100% platinum a game if you're not having fun during the process or find it tedious?

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
That's the chump's way. The real grind was to get the trap drops from the turtles themselves. Also the best way to respawn (this is when you're maxed out and didn't get a drop) was to reload the game. My poor PS3 at the time hated that.
I remember that same summer I was also trying to get the platinum in Demon's Souls and you need a I think it was called a pure bladestone which was a VERY rare drop there too. I was pretty much done with RNG at the point lol

I just looked it up and traps dropped only 1% of the time. Fuck that. No wonder I never got one to drop.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
One of the longest ones I've done is Master 70 Gods in Smite. But there's a lot of ones.

Like the rope challenge in IX without the easy trick would be almost impossible (atleast for me it would)

The star lab trophies in Injustice, basically every EA / 2K sports game where you need a shit ton of premium currency to be able to get some trophies etc.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I've played and replayed a lot of weird games over the years to get obscure trophies.

While I'm not sure it was essential, I replayed Deracine maybe four times trying to find all of the collectible coins because I thought that's how you triggered the secret ending.

Oh, and I couldn't do the final boss in Drakengard 3 even with syncing up to a YouTube video, so I learned how to wire up my PS3 controller converter to my PC and send keyboard commands to the controller then learned how to program AutoHotKey and make it automate the inputs. Did the same thing in Hyper Light Drifter for that continuous dash trophy.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I have to ask. What is the compulsion to 100% platinum a game if you're not having fun during the process or find it tedious?
The destination is worth the journey.

I really dislike cooking. The prep work takes ages, it's mentally exhausting to have to track down ingredients, follow the recipes, use the right techniques, figure out how to salvage the effort if something goes pear-shaped...and then I have to clean the kitchen afterwards.

But I like the food I end up with enough to keep doing it.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yakuza trophies are quite tedious because you have to literally do everything. The batting cage challenges are tedious as hell because I suck at them.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a trophy but there was an achievement for beating the super boss in Infinite Undiscovery on Infinite mode. So, lets get to why this is bullshit. First off the game is trash and nobody should want to subject themselves to it. Secondly you have to beat the other difficulties to unlock it meaning you've subjected yourself to this trash multiple times just to open the door to the achievement. So now you start the difficulty. The two guards at the start kill you in 3 hits, they take 70 each to die. If you survive that bullshit you get to escape the castle through hoards of enemies who will demolish you only to finally be able to escape to an area where you can start levelling up to make the game fair enough to actually play.

So you've survived the intro to this achievement. Subject yourself to that awful game again through extra grinding just to stand a chance and you'll finally reach the end. Now you grind for tedious crafting recipes so you can enhance stats beyond their limit, you'll need it for the seraphic gate bosses. Get halfway down there and you can now grind for the mats to make those recipes. Now reach the floor before the final boss and grind to level 255 iirc. Stock up on items and go kill that boss and you'll get the final achievement worth a grand total of.... one fucking point.

That's right, you'll be locked out at 999 points unless you subject yourself to all this crap. This has to be a record of some sort.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
1S4ebc2e.png
40-platinum.png

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
You've mastered this game!

This is probably the absolute worst Platinum I've ever gotten in terms of absolute mind numbing tedium.

To give some insight, Hyperdevotion Noire is an SPRG with 22 characters. You have to max their relationships up by having them perform a move when next to each other. (like Fire Emblem).

But you have to do this 100 times to max one of the relationships out. For all 22 characters, between all of each other.

I can't even remember what my playtime was after doing this.

So wait...you have to perform 100 moves with characters next to each other, let's see.. 21+20+19+18...etc, which adds up to 230 times, aka 23,000 moves? Holy shit. How long does each move take?

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Probably those +500 VR missions in MGS2.. it was like the game was refusing to give the damn platinum till the very last moment! Even after everything I've already done lol

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
One of my personal most tedious platinum trophies was Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. You finish everything around level 40, but you have to grind both characters to level 99 to get the last trophies. You also have to collect every enemy card which shows up randomly so you can get a fair amount of level grinding during that time. I got pretty lucky and got all of them pretty quickly though. I think it only took 60 hours but you're just doing so little the whole time.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So wait...you have to perform 100 moves with characters next to each other, let's see.. 21+20+19+18...etc, which adds up to 230 times, aka 23,000 moves? Holy shit. How long does each move take?

You can skip battle animations, but some of the characters only have Offensive Skills, which means you have to group everyone next to each other along with being next to enemies....

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
The most bullshit trophy I ever decided was a good idea to get is the Chocobo Race one. Give me any other mini-game but that damn Chocobo Race in FFX. I'll dodge 500 lightning strikes or play through ten more screens of that butterfly catching before doing that one again...

And even after that, I lost interest and didn't go for the platinum.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
Doing every boring sidequest on that huge wasteland of nothing that is Mad Max.

I'm playing it now and it's bizarre the amount of things that it doesn't have any value, it's there just to make volume.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
Well, at least farming for the optional bosses in FFX is "useful". Recently I've got the platinum in Rogue Galaxy and the "level 99 character trophy" is extremely useless, since even the optional super boss is beatable around level 70. And one more vote to Neptunia's Lily Rank trophies: I think I spent more time farming rank than actually beat the game in Neptunia U.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Europa Universalis IV if getting all achievements can be considered platinum

Good luck

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
It's not really tedious because thankfully the game is fun all the time, but i'm one trophy short of getting the Enter the Gungeon platinum and it's beating Winchesters challenge three times.

It's annoying because:

1. It basically never shows up, i feel like i go 20-30 runs sometimes without getting him.
2. Because it so rarely shows up, i absolutely suck at it and nearly always fail.

The Last of Us took nearly 200 hours i think, because of the multiplayer ones, but again that was pretty fun. Rayman Legends is the worst. You have to play it every day for a ridiculous amount of days in a row.
The Last of Us multiplayer trophies really take that long? I was thinking of going for them soon but that sounds pretty brutal. They're the last ones I need for the platinum but I might just skip them if that's the case.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
Just platinumed Nier.

Fishing is tedious.
Gardening is tedious.
And farming for materials to upgrade every weapon is a nightmare.
any trophy that requires the system clock is tedious. i'm wrapping up One Piece World Seeker and there's two trophies tied to using the Explore system, which uses the system clock

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Cloud 2. FFX's plat might as well be like a walking simulator's in comparison. DC2 is a soul crushing nightmare of tedium.

Oct 27, 2017
Flappy Goat in Goat Simulator. Yes, it's just Flappy Bird but fuck me I cannot do it. Were it not for that then I'd have the Platinum.

That one in Stardew Valley where you have to complete the twin-stick arcade game without dying. It's incredibly difficult and really out of place in an otherwise really relaxing and easygoing game.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
JRPGs are big on this. Star Ocean 4, Things Unchangeable (from The Last Remnant), maxing the Eleth Mixer in Tales of Graces f, Vesperia, generally. Hell, even murdering turtles in FFXIII felt like a huge timesink. On that note...

I don't value my time but I don't value trophies either so firsthand? N/A. But secondhand? I half-watched a former significant other earn my PSN account of ten years its first and to-date only Platinum via killing adamantoises for hours upon hours upon hours in FFXIII. I don't recall why they felt the need to do so nor how it tied into the Platinum acquisition. All I know is that every time I boot up the PS4 and tab past the trophies thing, I laugh seeing my one Platinum listed and shudder at my ex's dedication.

Killing Adams gets you Platinum Ingots, which is your primary source of funds late game (and you will need the money). There is also a percentage chance that they will drop a Trapezohedron, the upgrade material for ultimate weapons, and you need all six for item collection purposes. You'll need to kill about 120-140 on average to get everything you need.

The moar u know!

Mar 30, 2019
I had the insanity to get the Danganronpa 2 plat long ago. I forget the specifics, but there is a mini resource type game that was blindingly boring. That is when I decided to forget plats and focus on enjoying the game.

Unless it's a platforner collectathon, in which case my mania returns.

As for FFX, I think the monster bestiary was the least enjoyable. The lightning was fairly easy when I muted the sound and I got lucky with the chocobo racing.

One of my most difficult plats was the PS3 remaster of Shadow of the Colossus. The time trials on hard kicked my ass due to the looser grabbing mechanic. I thoroughly loved that challenge, so it doesn't count I guess. Just mentioning because that might not be enjoyable to others.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The sad thing about the FFX plat is not only did I do it on the remaster, but I more or less did the same thing on the original PS2 release.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I looked at the trophy list for FFX Remaster, and I guess I did pretty much everything on the list, except for maybe stealing 200 times with Rikku, back on the PS2 release (I still adamantly refuse to buy the remaster collection). So that could sort of be my answer, as I hated the five or six hours I put into Blitzball so I could get Wakka's stupid weapon (I didn't even use Wakka in battle!).

However, I don't complete overly tedious tasks to get trophies or achievements, because I think video game trophies and achievements are stupid. As far as tedious trophies go, my answer is the Yakuza series, may I never live to obtain every trophy in one of those games.

Holy shit, that's worse than i remember. Why would anyone do that.

I did it twice on the original PS2 game, because I dodged 200 in a row when I first got to the Thunder Plains, not knowing that the reward for dodging the lightning can only be obtained later in the game. So I did it again later. Neither time gave me much trouble. Ever since, I've always viewed dodging the lightning as nowhere near as difficult as people make it out to be. That jump rope game in Final Fantasy IX, though? Now that game is impossible.

Just platinumed Nier.

Fishing is tedious.
Gardening is tedious.
And farming for materials to upgrade every weapon is a nightmare.

I thought you were talking about Nier: Automata at first, and I was wondering how anyone could struggle to get all the trophies in a game where trophies can be purchased. But, yeah, makes sense if it's the original Nier.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The destination is worth the journey.

I really dislike cooking. The prep work takes ages, it's mentally exhausting to have to track down ingredients, follow the recipes, use the right techniques, figure out how to salvage the effort if something goes pear-shaped...and then I have to clean the kitchen afterwards.

But I like the food I end up with enough to keep doing it.

You can't eat trophies, though. You can survive without them.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us multiplayer trophies really take that long? I was thinking of going for them soon but that sounds pretty brutal. They're the last ones I need for the platinum but I might just skip them if that's the case.

Not even close. The general gist is you have to play 84 matches per faction (two available: fireflies and hunters) but you really only have to play 35 of each because you can play one and build up your survivors and skip the next two.

So you'd be looking at well under 40 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
My most time-consuming trophy was Super Street Fighter 4's "C to Shining C".
It's a silver trophy that you get by getting each character to C rank online. Which takes about 20 or so online victories for each character.

Meanwhile, "This is Madness!" is a gold trophy you earn by participating in 300 online matches, win or lose. You could sit there scratching your ass and lose every single one if you wanted to and still earn a gold, whereas you have to work your ass off and win over 700 times online to get a silver.

It's dumb.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I did this too OP. I think it took me just over 100 hours and the worst one was getting 0 seconds on the chocoho race and capturing all the monsters for the arena

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I will never play blitzball I don't know if that's a trophy but if it was one ... i'd never get it... I got all the celestial weapons and awakened them except wakka's

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I did it twice on the original PS2 game, because I dodged 200 in a row when I first got to the Thunder Plains, not knowing that the reward for dodging the lightning can only be obtained later in the game. So I did it again later. Neither time gave me much trouble. Ever since, I've always viewed dodging the lightning as nowhere near as difficult as people make it out to be. That jump rope game in Final Fantasy IX, though? Now that game is impossible.

It's not much that it is difficult. It's just fuckin stupid and irritating.

I will never play blitzball I don't know if that's a trophy but if it was one ... i'd never get it... I got all the celestial weapons and awakened them except wakka's

I had a lot of fun with Blitzball. It was long and boring here and there, but it gets pretty easy as soon as you have the right Chars.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Is luck the one that you have to spam Wakka's overdrive on the Chocobo Eater reskin? Is that the fortune spheres? I just remember getting really good at those damn slots lol.
Go after the second baloon. Ignore the first one. Therein lies your pathway to victory. I honestly think this was intended to be obvious but was a failure of game design in that it wasn't obvious enough.
Idr that skipping specifically the first balloon is a hard rule, but definitely being able to judge which balloons are not worth going for is important. People just lack critical thinking tbh.