• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
You can't eat trophies, though. You can survive without them.
You need to eat, sure. You don't need to cook.

I don't enjoy cooking, but my mother really hated it. Consequently, after becoming an empty nester her diet shifted to 95% green salads and cold sandwiches.

She's...a lot healthier than I am now, I have to admit! šŸ¤£

OP
OP
Kitsunelaine

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
beat up Penance and Nemesis, wooooooooo
Trophies I have left to get:
-Show Off! (Win a Blitzball tournament)
-Theater Enthusiast (Buy every sphere at the Luca Theater)
-Messenger from the Past (Obtain all Jecht Spheres)
-Chocobo Master (5 Treasure Chests during the chocobo race at the temple)
-Bltizball Master (Unlock all slot reels)
-Learning! (Learn all monster abilities)
-Weapon Master (Obtain all Celestial Weapons) (Just missing Wakka's)
-Perfect Sphere Master (Complete all sphere grids)
-A Journey's Catalyst (View Eternal Calm)

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Lots of mentions of NieR here.

Is it weird to say I actually enjoyed my time doing it? Like I remember it being super grindy but that games atmosphere and music makes me nostalgic to think back on it.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I got the bright idea to do a platinum run of FFX. Well here I am 94 hours later and still not done. (Luck spheres are a pita.) What's the most tedious trophy you've ever decided to chase down anyway, because you don't value your time

I did the FFX Plat in about 80 Hours. You don't have to Max the Luck Stat. Getting 255 in every other stat, filling the board with something else (even though you're over capped) is much faster. For the Dark Aeons, just cheese it using Yojimbo's Zanmoto by paying him 1.2m gil. Farming the Gil is LOT faster than Maxing Luck.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
Friday the 13th The Game

Been playing on PS4 since release and I'm nowhere near the last few trophies. Still need to ding on 500 games as Jason (and there's another after 1,000 games).
Still enjoying it but I'll be honest: if the final 3 trophies dinged tomorrow, I'd park the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Dark Souls III immediately came to mind.

I must have killed like 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Silver Knights on Anor Londo just for plat, hahah. Oh and yeah, also killing 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 of those swamp area monsters next to the bonfire before the Abyss Watchers' area, that is also needed.

All because of the absolutely borked covenant system, bleh.

Oct 27, 2017
Dodging lightning in FFX is actually really easy, as there is a small cratered area where a strike will always happen when you run into it. Once you get the timing down, you barely have to pay attention.

The Chocobo race in the Calm Lands on the other hand is absolute torture. By far the worst minigame in the series and the fact that they hid the main character's best weapon behind it is insane.

I have the FFX plat because I hate myself.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
My Kung Fu is Stronger from Mortal Kombat 9

Get 100 wins
Do 100 -alities
Do 150 X-Rays
Spill 10,000 pints of blood
Play the game for 24 hours real time

Now, do that with EVERY CHARACTER except DLC.

Oh, and it's the only Gold Trophy in the game.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Dodging lightning in FFX is actually really easy, as there is a small cratered area where a strike will always happen when you run into it. Once you get the timing down, you barely have to pay attention.

The Chocobo race in the Calm Lands on the other hand is absolute torture. By far the worst minigame in the series and the fact that they hid the main character's best weapon behind it is insane.

I have the FFX plat because I hate myself.

I agree, the Lightning dodge was pretty simple once you find the spot needed and you can do it in around 10 minutes maybe less. The race took me forever, I hated that race.

suga41

Jan 10, 2018
It may not be as bad as some listed here, but I hated the grind for all achievements in Black Ops 3. Realistic mode was so, so dumb. There were so many checkpoints where I'd continually spawn and die immediately. It took me several hours to just beat one level. And that's when the game didn't crash or lose checkpoint progress.

Then after I finally wrapped the campaign, just sitting and shooting hundreds of enemies for hours on end to max out every gun in the game with no indication of how many I've killed or how many I had left to go. It was awful.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of Xillia. It's not a hard one difficult wise, but it's such a monotonous pain in the rear that it singlehandedly turned me off from Platinum/Achievement hunting.

I heard Xillia 2 was supposed to be even worse to platinum, too.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Ha. NieR's platinum trophy. You have to upgrade every single weapon in the game.

Phew.

That uh

That was something.

But that was the second time I'd played the game.

I had already 100%ed it on xbox 360 at the recommendation of a friend (had never heard of it before in my life, and idk how since I'd been on gaf for a while at that point). Months later and I just...I still hadn't had enough, so I wanted more. Platinumed the game too. Gosh I love NieR.

Right now I'm trying to get all the achievements for Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. So, the base game other than like one achievement is pretty doable. Just grindy and long. But Apex was a PC spin off back when Microsoft was dipping their toes back into PC gaming (like when Halo 5 got a weird forge only free thing).

Okay so, most of the achievements aren't that bad.

But there is one where you have to get platinum medals in 10 events. Um. Okay. This achievement is not for the faint of heart. Holy shit. I am bad at racing games okay. And you basically have to turn off as many assists as possible. And often you have to turn up the AI difficulty decently high, sometimes as high as possible. I have never been so angry at a game in my life. But like...also I'm really enjoying beating these races? Like for real? Like FUCK they are hard. I have 7/10 after like, days of grinding at this, trying to figure out how to do this shit. Some of it is just straight up too hard for me. They stopped supporting the game so no more events are rotating out, and I had to get the premium content to just be able to have more events to pick from. Some events aren't just races, and those are a bit easier for me to squeeze out. It's kinda fun struggling and finding my combination of assists that I can get away with while also getting enough points at the end of a race to qualify for platinum. I feel proud as shit for my 7 I have so far, and I have 3 or 4 I'm eyeing that i think I can do. As far as tedious, well I bet you can guess where a 10 minute high speed NĆ¼rburgring race in the rain with no rewinds might end up on the tedious spectrum, as one example.

I mean, I could just save manipulate it. Delete my save, cancel the cloud back up, and then do the one very easy platinum in the game, because apparently that works. But I mean. Nah son. This is hard and often tedious as shit but I got this.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
I have the FFX platinum...Worst mini games ever. The 200 lightning bolts isn't too hard once you get the rhythm down with the crater exploit. The real kicker is the chocobo race that controls like crap and has a bunch of bullshit flying at you randomly, I don't even have a memory of me achieving it, it's all a blur of tortured anger. The tedium comes with the sphere grid grinding and monster arena.

I am missing one trophy in FF13 because it requires you to hold every item in the game. Some items are missable or very grindy to even get. That combine with the games terrible upgrade system made me not even attempt, despite it being my last one.

Most tales games are extremely annoying. I took a break recently trying to get the platinum for Tales of Vesperia. Old tales side quest design is infuriatingly specific and missable. I essentially wasted an entire playthrough because i messed up one side quest an I am just burnt out to do a 3rd run through the game.

Platinums are so stupid but the completionist in me can't help but want to see it as a visual that the game is 100% finished.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I've always found the butterfly catching and the chocobo race (oh my fucking god that chocobo race) to be far worse grinds than the lightning dodging.
Chocobo one wasn't too bad for me (I was actually able to do the 0 second run in 1 try). Lightning dodges, I was able to figure out a good spot back then on the PS2 by accident where the bolts strike in a consistent, predictable manner so the only real issue is yeah, it's tedious since it takes around 30-40 minutes to complete. The butterfly one? Man fuck that

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
just looked at MHW iceborne trophies and the gold crown trophies are back.......

tenor.gif

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of mentions of NieR here.

Is it weird to say I actually enjoyed my time doing it? Like I remember it being super grindy but that games atmosphere and music makes me nostalgic to think back on it.

Yeah I mentioned this in my post.

It was tedious as hell but I did it on xbox 360 and ps3 because I freaking love the game. I kinda want to play Replicant but without being able to read Japanese I fear it would be too difficult since materials don't even have icons.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus's platinum is impossible to do. Most tedious shit. Maybe unless someone finds a glitch or something

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
mass effect 1's was godawful

first of all, you need to play through the game at least three times, probably more if you aren't starting with going for all trophies
and as part of that you need to do the vast majority of missions (main and optional) with all six party members present when you complete them (meaning you need to have them with you literally the whole game and not use anyone else), again, easy to miss without planning
you need to reach max level, which can only be done on NG+ and can also be made more time consuming by using the mako to defeat enemies which gives you significantly less XP than doing it on foot (something the game does not tell you)
you also need to use a bunch of class specific abilities a ridiculous number of times, which will probably mean you'll need to start as an engineer or whatever and play like five hours as them to unlock and start making progress on that specific ability

and finally you need to beat the game on the insanity difficulty, which isn't called that because it's insanely difficult but because it's insanely boring and tedious because enemies now have an absurd amount of health and take forever to go down (like 50+ headshots for one geth)

I got 1000/1000 on 360 but I could never get myself to go for the platinum on the PS3 version, it's just so much lol

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder why developpers put these kind of achievement/trophies in their game. Is it to make a point that you shouldn't do them? Just a troll to those who like to get 100%?
I mean no one in their right mind would think this is funny or enjoyable, even if you really like the game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Not a platinum per se, but going from a 5-star profile to a shiny-5-star profile in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call was like ten games' worth of work. I'm lucky FF has such constantly stellar music, otherwise I'd never come close to "platinuming" it.

matthews

Dec 25, 2017
Wonder if the reason they allow you to buy trophies in Automata is because the trophies are so tedious in NieR. Have also read that one of the boss battle trophies in Drakengard 3 is extremely difficult.

Morbak

Nov 12, 2017
Goat Master -> The Flapmaster. Took me ages

Stardew Valley -> Fector's Challenge. Still haven't done it. Try every day for half an hour.
Fector's Challenge is the first trophy I did. 4 hours a day for 3 weeks, half the time required for the platinum trophy.
Good luck with that one, you will get the good run sooner or later!

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Super Bomberman R not only has Online trophy grinding, but it just has straight up 200-250+ hours of normal grinding. Its mind numblingly boring.

Morbak

Nov 12, 2017
Yakuza wise you have:

Really tough skill based: Mini game master in Yakuza 3 (play the Japanese PS3 version for the hardest version of this). Basically clear every last mini game requirement the game throws at you. EX Hard batting cages (no crosshair, though there is a "cheat" for this) and Expert Pool are widely agreed to be the hardest of the bunch. Mahjong can also put up a fight if you dont know what your doing. The Japanese PS3 version of this also has you clear the quiz game Answer X Answer which aside from requiring actual Japanese reading knowledge also requires you to know all sorts of answers to geographical, pop culture, history etc. questions and be fast. Good luck with that one!

RGG1 HD for the PS3 also has one trophy for clearing all of Haruka's requests - the last of which is clearing the batting cages - 20 home runs in a row. Which is bloody hard. Never did manage that...

Time Consuming: Yakuza 5's 100% run has, as of a few minutes ago taken me 150 hours. Just about to fight Amon. Not really hard as there are cheat items for gambling and most requirements are actually very fair, there's just so many different things to do in the game that it'll definitely take you a very long time to do. Its rather darn fun though, so I judge it as a bad trophy, just an insanely time consuming one within the series.

Grinding ahoy: FOTNS and Ishin both have grindy trophies that take ages to do. FOTNS has the amulet trophy, and especially in the Japanese version of the game you gotta get every piece of armor which takes hours of random battles and arena fights in the hopes they drop. The English release of the game actually halved that requirement - basically saying instead of requiring 100% completion list completion, you only need 50%. Guess who played the Japanese game! Ishin has TWO completion lists, one fun, one absolutely pointless full of pointless grindy stuff. And its not as if getting all the modding materials is an easy task on its own. That was annoying for sure (but hey, at least the late game swords make the Legend difficulty run a cake walk.

0 also has the Dragon and Tiger grinding which is annoying. 95% of ingredients you need are easy to get, but 2-3 items are super low drop rate items that you can spend hours trying to get on their own...

Just fucking shit: Yakuza 0 has (in my opinion) the worst trophy in the entire series of games - Clear cat fighting 10 times. This is basically an RNG heavy mode that can be maneuvered around if you figure out each girls pattern (super hard in its own right) but also hope that they don't also just pull off a super move that kills you outright, even after you win the match. Worst mode and worst trophy in the entire series no doubt.
I've got all platinums from 1HD to 6. My problem is the mahjong so I can't 100% the Kiwami games ;(
Fuck Mahjong.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
FFX-2 for example.
You need a guide to do that one, and to get 100% you have to pay attention to every single letter of the guide.
If you forget to talk to somebody or pick up a specific object, you end up missing 0.1% completion and have to go back to the previous save and do it all again.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I almost got the Phantom Pain Platinum but one trophy requires you to do all sub tasks as well next to doing all missions S rank which was pretty fun, there's two sub tasks I didn't manage yet.

One is a very long trailing in mission that tends to bug out and the other one is that you have to extract 12 tanks while keeping Quiet alive and you not being seen, it takes very long and if you miss a tank for a reason you can do it all over again.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've got all platinums from 1HD to 6. My problem is the mahjong so I can't 100% the Kiwami games ;(
Fuck Mahjong.
I love Mahjong myself. Took me years to learn though. Shogi is my personal weakness along with Pool, but I'm good enough at Pool for the requirements and Shogi you can at least cheat/cheese. But yeah, your pretty much screwed on some games if you can't do Mahjong :(

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
I almost platinum'd MGS4, only ONE playthrough left and I don't even remember which one...
texQg7s.png

I remember a game that has infamous grinding... it's White Knight Chronicles.

Gran Turismo 5... good luck man. The AMG Challange broke me.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
The Last of Us multiplayer trophies really take that long? I was thinking of going for them soon but that sounds pretty brutal. They're the last ones I need for the platinum but I might just skip them if that's the case.
You have to play both journeys in multiplayer, and if you are good and survive till the end, the fastest you can roughly do it is 50 or so hours IIRC. It's been a long while since I did it, but I wholeheartedly recommend reading a guide first because you can do like 90% of the days, and then if your survivors die you have to start all over.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (360) had achievements for being ranked #1 in the world in solo and team matchmaking.

And odd number achievements too!

Although I enjoyed the visually impressive demo back in the day, I never bought the game. My friend however, who was a self confessed 'achievement hunter' (lol) for a couple of years, hated the game just because of those leaderboard achievements...

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
You have to play both journeys in multiplayer, and if you are good and survive till the end, the fastest you can roughly do it is 50 or so hours IIRC. It's been a long while since I did it, but I wholeheartedly recommend reading a guide first because you can do like 90% of the days, and then if your survivors die you have to start all over.
Wow that's pretty lengthy. Thanks for the info. I really hate multiplayer trophies in general but I love this game so much that I really want the platinum. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
I realized not long ago that my desire to work for platinums was taking away my joy from playing games and making them feel like a chore. I would avoid games where the platinum looked too hard or would take too long. I would play games I had no interest in because the platinum was easy.

I purged that desire out of my head and turned off trophy notifications. I am for the first time in a while enjoying games again not worrying about trophies. It's ones like the FFX one that reminds me why I'm happy I did this.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I am at the last two trophys in assassin's Creed Odyssey and I debating with myself to do it or not. One trophy is to complete every underwater location and only the gods know how many there are. Besides, you get nothing than worthless experience points for completing them. I don't even want to have a look at the map to check how many there are. A really boring task.
The other trophy is for having set foot in every area. The world is so big that this is one of the rarest achievements.
I don't know if I can do it because the trophys are really boring but they are the last two for the platinum. I say to myself that this is not worth my time and I could play other games but every time I look at the 9x% completion I want to finish it.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Wow that's pretty lengthy. Thanks for the info. I really hate multiplayer trophies in general but I love this game so much that I really want the platinum. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

I actually think the multiplayer in that game is brilliant, so I didn't mind playing it at all. It's just about management so you don't have to play it more than you need too, if you didn't like it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I realized not long ago that my desire to work for platinums was taking away my joy from playing games and making them feel like a chore. I would avoid games where the platinum looked too hard or would take too long. I would play games I had no interest in because the platinum was easy.

I purged that desire out of my head and turned off trophy notifications. I am for the first time in a while enjoying games again not worrying about trophies. It's ones like the FFX one that reminds me why I'm happy I did this.
I'm pretty much the same way now. If I'm enjoying a game enough I might go after trophies (like A Hat in Time and Bloostained ROTN currently) but almost all games these days I'll just stop going for trophies because I just don't have the patience or time to waste with some of the requirements. Heck, I love going for Capcom based trophies but I won't plat MHW because of the crown trophies, I ain't got time for that!

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I don't value my time but I don't value trophies either so firsthand? N/A. But secondhand? I half-watched a former significant other earn my PSN account of ten years its first and to-date only Platinum via killing adamantoises for hours upon hours upon hours in FFXIII. I don't recall why they felt the need to do so nor how it tied into the Platinum acquisition. All I know is that every time I boot up the PS4 and tab past the trophies thing, I laugh seeing my one Platinum listed and shudder at my ex's dedication.
They give you a lot of exp and several of the trophies require you to max out all characters / sphere grids.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The two longest time sink's I've had were Hot Shots Golf World Invitational for the Vita and Rayman Legends on the PS3.

With Hot Shots Golf I probably played the game 500+ hours before I got the platinum. One of the trophies was for getting an Albatross and as good as I am at Hot Shots games, those always eluded me. I've landed hundreds of eagles, many 150+ yards away but no Alby. I wasn't playing specifically to get that albatross. I was just playing online tournaments 3-4 hours or so a day for months because the game is fun as hell and it just happened when it happened.

Rayman Legends on the other hand had a trophy for "Reaching the final level of awesomeness". You needed 4000 points to reach that level of Awesomeness and 100%ing the game only gave you 2000. The way you got the extra 2000 points was doing the 2 endless runner daily challenges. If you got a score in the top 20% you got a silver trophy and 5 points. If you got a score in the top 10% you got a gold trophy and 10 points. Got a score in the top 1% and you got a Diamond trophy and 50 points. There was only like 1000 people doing these daily challenges so getting a top 1% meant geting a score in the top 10. I only ever managed that once. I wasn't going to grind every daily for hours to try and get a diamond. I could get a silver score pretty easy and after a few retries get a gold score and I could fire off both challenges in like 5 minutes. So I did that, for like 4 months.

Then the day I got the final gold trophy to get me past 4000 points the Ubi servers shit their pants and the trophy didn't pop. Ubi refused to patch this bug so the only way around it was to delete your game file and start again this time with your 2000+ points from the dailies sill intact since deleting your local save file didn't touch your online profile and 100% the game again. This time Copy the save file to a flash stick when you were about 50 points away just in case the Ubi servers decided to crap out on you again and get those last points as many times as you needed for Ubi's servers to actually work.

Last edited:

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
Wolfenstein Youngblood is very tedious. Get to level 80 so you can get every ability, collect over 140,000 coins so you can buy every weapon part and upgrade it along with buying a few cosmetics for your character. But the worse ones are leveling up your weapons to level ten, which require 600 kills for most of them. There are about a dozen weapons and some have really sparse ammo drops.